ADVERTISEMENT

Chicago is playing Glen Ellyn...

Sparty Jones

Oct 28, 2004
according to the IHSA. Why does the IHSA refer to schools by their city, with the proper name in parentheses? No one on Earth refers to the schools this way except the bizarre IHSA. The game is Payton against Glenbard South, in this example. Shockingly some announcers will say “Arlington Heights Hersey vs. Palatine Fremd” over the PA, continuing the lunacy.

Well we could have Mt Carmel vs Mt Carmel or Notre Dame vs Notre Dame....and throw in the other Notre Dame

almost forgot Washington vs Washington

according to the IHSA. Why does the IHSA refer to schools by their city, with the proper name in parentheses? No one on Earth refers to the schools this way except the bizarre IHSA. The game is Payton against Glenbard South, in this example. Shockingly some announcers will say “Arlington Heights Hersey vs. Palatine Fremd” over the PA, continuing the lunacy.

I agree with you completely. The IHSA is a bureaucracy and this is just another example of their nonsense.

On the matter of Mt Carmel vs Mt Carmel, my (southside) Mt Carmel was playing at Cary Grove about ten years ago. The Tribune had printed up some sort of promotion placard for the game - it referred to our game as a battle between the Trojans (Cary Grove) and the Golden Aces (the southern Illinois school's nickname).

Morton vs Morton.

(Chicago) Hope vs (Chicago) Hope.

If it's Berwyn-Cicero Morton, shouldn't it be La Grange-Western Springs Lyons Township? And Winnetka-Northfield New Trier?

Related, it used to be Loves Park Harlem, but now it's Machesney Park Harlem. Was the school relocated or did some people just lose that lovin' feeling?

Last edited:
I used to agree... But ever since I started putting together fake playoffs, I realize how important the cities are. I also realize that we refer to some schools very differently than the students who attend. In my head, I always say “Oneida Rowva” or “Sterling Newman” or “Freeport Aquin”. I’m sure a student says they attend Rowva High or Aquin High.

As for the multiple city names... Two schools, one district, one Sports team lists both cities. (Morton, Leyden). One school, two campuses, just one city is used. (LT, New Trier). The curious one for me is Co-ops. IHSA will designate one city for the entire co-op. Paxton (Paxton-Buckley-Loda).

Reactions: RockSoup
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT