ADVERTISEMENT

Catholic Playoffs

superac777

Aug 28, 2006
Leo(3-6) plays St.Joseph(3-6) Thursday Night @ 7 Pm @ St.Rita.I guess the winner awaits any team who gets knocked out in round 1

Not sure of the final outcome of Brother Rice decision but DePaul College Prep not playing in Prep Bowl playoffs this year

Leo(3-6) plays St.Joseph(3-6) Thursday Night @ 7 Pm @ St.Rita.I guess the winner awaits any team who gets knocked out in round 1
DLS played four "home" games at SR this year. Now this playoff game. What does SR get out of this. Concessions?

When BR decided not to participate, I didn't take it as a sign of chickening out; I actually was concerned it was but one step in ensuring Leo would get into the Prep Bowl before it closed. Any word on that front.

Reactions: Bowie50
When BR decided not to participate, I didn't take it as a sign of chickening out; I actually was concerned it was but one step in ensuring Leo would get into the Prep Bowl before it closed. Any word on that front.
BR begged out to let Leo in?

Zero percent chance Rice opted out so Leo could play. They opted out due to being 2-7 and wanting this season to be over.

Are you saying that Leo is closing? I just saw their president on "Chicago Week in Review" and he proudly wore his Leo lapel pin. I've met the gentleman and I don't think he'd close down this soon.

Do you have any insights, here, or are you merely speculating?

DLS played four "home" games at SR this year. Now this playoff game. What does SR get out of this. Concessions?
Yes SR keeps the concessions as part of the deal, but in reality that was probably under a grand in take in for 4 games.

Are you saying that Leo is closing? I just saw their president on "Chicago Week in Review" and he proudly wore his Leo lapel pin. I've met the gentleman and I don't think he'd close down this soon.

Do you have any insights, here, or are you merely speculating?
Is Phillips trying to recruit all their players?
McGrath is a good guy and an assest to the school.

I always heard rumors that Leo was going to Orland.As for Rice they could have played & beat DePaul in PB playoff 1 then beat the winner of Leo/St Joe in PB 2.I’m sure to be honest they could have run the table in PB playoffs putting them at 6-7 going into the Prep Bowl Championship.A great chance they win it so 7-7 & PB Championship.They salvage the season.

The Coach at DePaul said their season was over.I didn’t ask if he wasn’t invited or he declined.Don’t think they would have declined

Reactions: RockSoup
I always heard rumors that Leo was going to Orland.As for Rice they could have played & beat DePaul in PB playoff 1 then beat the winner of Leo/St Joe in PB 2.I’m sure to be honest they could have run the table in PB playoffs putting them at 6-7 going into the Prep Bowl Championship.A great chance they win it so 7-7 & PB Championship.They salvage the season.

An 8A school beating 2A schools to shore up their record is not a good look. DePaul and Leo don’t even have winning records - those aren’t even quality 2A programs. Would not help Rice and perception of the 2017 squad. Rice goes 2-7. It was a down year and a young squad. Time to get in the weight room and get ready for the 2018 campaign.

This imbalance of 2A schools playing 6/7/8A schools is an indictment on the failed structure of the CCL. Now they are losing 3 quality schools, all of whom have won state championships within the last 10 years.

I remember the Leo to Orland rumors. I suppose it might have worked in the early 90s, when Orland Parks dads (who had kids in grammar schools) might have been Leo grads and when the southside catholic schools didn't offer extensive transportation options to its students.

But now, I don't think Leo to Orland Park makes any sense. Now, the only connection Leo has to Orland Park is to some grandfathers of grammar school boys living there. Plus, all the southside catholic schools offer door to door transportation to Orland Park kids.

It is possible that Leo would have been reinvigorated had they gotten the Quigley Campus instead of St. Rita getting it. But I don't think it would have helped that much long-term. On the other hand, St. Rita would have had a very difficult time surviving at 63rd street, even though I selfishly always feel less of a Rita guy because I didn't go to the original campus on 63rd

Speculation, PARDON. Marian/CH is in that scenario now. LWN sits there but I wonder if a site like Dyer IN doesn't also appeal to much of their base. Still a lot of hesitancy with regard to former South Chicago, East Side/Hegw and South suburbans sending kids to Andrean.

I remember the Leo to Orland rumors. I suppose it might have worked in the early 90s, when Orland Parks dads (who had kids in grammar schools) might have been Leo grads and when the southside catholic schools didn't offer extensive transportation options to its students.

But now, I don't think Leo to Orland Park makes any sense. Now, the only connection Leo has to Orland Park is to some grandfathers of grammar school boys living there. Plus, all the southside catholic schools offer door to door transportation to Orland Park kids.

It is possible that Leo would have been reinvigorated had they gotten the Quigley Campus instead of St. Rita getting it. But I don't think it would have helped that much long-term. On the other hand, St. Rita would have had a very difficult time surviving at 63rd street, even though I selfishly always feel less of a Rita guy because I didn't go to the original campus on 63rd
I was told my many that Leo was supposed to get Quigley South but they didn't have the $$$$ Rita did and you know what does the talking guys and gals.I also heard QS shopped the idea of starting football which may have saved their school but.....

Last edited:
I was told my many that Leo was supposed to get Quigley South but they didn't have the $$$$ Rita did and you know what does the talking guys and gals
Were the convents around Mount Assissi (Lemont) selling back then? That could have been a good play for Rita to co-locate nearby.

Reactions: superac777
Speculation, PARDON. Marian/CH is in that scenario now. LWN sits there but I wonder if a site like Dyer IN doesn't also appeal to much of their base. Still a lot of hesitancy with regard to former South Chicago, East Side/Hegw and South suburbans sending kids to Andrean.
Bishop Noll once a gem isn't in great shape.Their football team once a powerhouse had to forfeit a game this year due to lack to numbers.I don't think the Joliet area could support Marian,Joliet Catholic AND Providence Catholic.Illiana Christian is building a new school in St.John Indiana and though they don't offer football or plan on it that may change.I know the people in Lansing are wanting a Private school since Illiana is leaving,Luther East closed and nearby Seton Academy also did.So would that move help Marian if they were to go to Lansing?

Last edited:
Were the convents around Mount Assissi (Lemont) selling back then? That could have been a good play for Rita to co-locate nearby.

St. Rita wanted to retain its southside roots on Western Ave. They were not going to move to the suburbs. If they didn't get Quigley, they were prepared to start a half million renovation project in which they were going to buy up land around the 63rd street campus and try to insulate itself from the neighborhood, kind of like the current campus.

Bishop Noll once a gem isn't in great shape.Their football team once a powerhouse had to forfeit a game this year due to lack to numbers.I don't think the Joliet area could support Marian,Joliet Catholic AND Providence Catholic.Illiana Christian is building a new school in St.John Indiana and though they don't offer football or plan on it that may change.I know the people in Lansing are wanting a Private school since Illiana is leaving,Luther East closed and nearby Seton Academy also did.So what that move help Marian if they were to go to Lansing?
In the very short term yes, but Dyer might be seen as a domino a little further down the chain of white flight, but one still accessible and familiar to current Marian students and Rich, Bloom and Thornton TWP residents. Dyer also has a bustling commercial and office area which may appeal to students needing part time and co-op work opportunities.

St. Rita wanted to retain its southside roots on Western Ave. They were not going to move to the suburbs. If they didn't get Quigley, they were prepared to start a half million renovation project in which they were going to buy up land around the 63rd street campus and try to insulate itself from the neighborhood, kind of like the current campus.
Sears would have put out of its misery sooner?

BR begged out to let Leo in?

Teams don't beg out they just elect to not play. Loyola did this this year as well.

Interesting take here. Rice and Leo have a good relationship at an administrative level with Antos and McGrath. Laurence and Leo have a good relationship athletically with Holmes and Blackmon.

Leo is struggling but I am not certain they are closing but stranger things have happened.

Leo has a lot of history & pride which is great.How long can that keep a school open?

Sadly, the alumni from the 1950s and 1960s continue to pass. These people have been instrumental in helping keep the school open. It will be a very sad day when Leo closes its doors.

Reactions: Gene K.
Leo is playing at SR this week. Maybe they can pick out lockers for the fall.....

Met Dan McGrath at Gatley about six years ago. Class act. Leo would be closed if not for him.

Leo is playing at SR this week. Maybe they can pick out lockers for the fall.....

Met Dan McGrath at Gatley about six years ago. Class act. Leo would be closed if not for him.

Dan's a first class guy in every respect.

IMHO, for Leo to move to Orland would require huge $$$ from the archdiocese which always claims to be broke. In fact, I doubt if we'll see any new Catholic high schools -- at any time -- in established areas. The current ones will likely fade without replacement.

Dan's a first class guy in every respect.

IMHO, for Leo to move to Orland would require huge $$$ from the archdiocese which always claims to be broke. In fact, I doubt if we'll see any new Catholic high schools -- at any time -- in established areas. The current ones will likely fade without replacement.
I always heard they owned land already in Orland Park

I always heard they owned land already in Orland Park

I believe the "they" you refer to are the Irish christian Brothers, who founded Leo, Rice and Laurence ... but no longer have any connection with Leo. If they owned land in Orland, they probably sold it. To be honest with you, I don't know how orders of brothers can or will continue in this Church era.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT