ADVERTISEMENT

Carmel

Still interviewing. Was told mid-February is when they hoped to have a coach in place.

Any news/rumors on who the finalists are?

LK

No I have nothing. Usually we get a few whispers here and there but nothing at all. Kinda of strange. I have heard that likely candidates in the building stand the best chance but who that is I don't know.

Reactions: lkhammer57
Word is they got some good candidates. Whether they match up with an opening on staff is a hump.

LK

No I have nothing. Usually we get a few whispers here and there but nothing at all. Kinda of strange. I have heard that likely candidates in the building stand the best chance but who that is I don't know.
Yeah, I am just so curious about this hire, and I know that is your neck of the woods out there, so I wasn't sure if you would have heard anything. I just would have thought that if this was an in building hire they would have been good to announce it by now. Should be interesting once the news comes out in February

Word is they got some good candidates. Whether they match up with an opening on staff is a hump.
You mean within the school? I thought I saw a director of development job open still. Not sure if they have filled that position by now, though. And did you get the names of any of those candidates?

You mean within the school? I thought I saw a director of development job open still. Not sure if they have filled that position by now, though. And did you get the names of any of those candidates?

Yah sorry didn't explain that so good. Internal candidates is what I have heard but haven't been able to confirm who that might be.

Yah sorry didn't explain that so good. Internal candidates is what I have heard but haven't been able to confirm who that might be.
Is there anybody in the building that could take them to the level they should be? The school can't be mediocar. It will effect enrollment.

I won't mention names, or confirm anyone's guess, but a name familiar around Carmel that starts with a "P" I have heard rumor of being a good candidate. Don't know how good that information is, but you heard it here first! :)

I won't mention names, or confirm anyone's guess, but a name familiar around Carmel that starts with a "P" I have heard rumor of being a good candidate. Don't know how good that information is, but you heard it here first! :)

Have heard the same. What I did hear though was because of his close ties to AB he likely wouldn’t get the spot. He’d be a great person for the gig.

Is there anybody in the building that could take them to the level they should be? The school can't be mediocar. It will effect enrollment.

No - program needs a complete rebuild and will only happen with an outsider. No doubt people inside the buildings will be on the staff and
the one outside person I heard about has concerns about having total control of the program with Andy still as AD. Kinda of like at Wisconsin with Barry Alvarez

No - program needs a complete rebuild and will only happen with an outsider. No doubt people inside the buildings will be on the staff and
the one outside person I heard about has concerns about having total control of the program with Andy still as AD. Kinda of like at Wisconsin with Barry Alvarez
It all goes back to how incompetent the administration is.

It seems with what happened there I would think that the powers above would tell Andy that the football program is off limits to control to what goes on. Wouldn't you think anyways?

It seems with what happened there I would think that the powers above would tell Andy that the football program is off limits to control to what goes on. Wouldn't you think anyways?
He has been told that. He has absolutely no input in football. Again, an incompetent administration. How can you terminate your head football coach, keep him as AD, then tell him he has nothing to do with football? Disaster.

He has been told that. He has absolutely no input in football. Again, an incompetent administration. How can you terminate your head football coach, keep him as AD, then tell him he has nothing to do with football? Disaster.
Disaster seems to be the right word here!

Reactions: foosball1
Not to mention the 4 football players that have already transferred and two more confirmed transfers leaving at the end of the semester. All great talent the program was supposed to be built around. Strange, considering this presidents concern with enrollment. Another interesting tidbit I am hearing from some very credible sources... Carmel is having financial issues. What those particular issues are and to what extent I cannot confirm or deny. Adminstration better wake up over there.

It's worked at another ESCC school pretty well.

2002-03 4 6 Gary Goforth
2003-04 7 5 Gary Goforth
2004-05 6 4 Gary Goforth
2005-06 2 7 Gary Goforth
2006-07 6 5 Gary Goforth
2007-08 3 6 Gary Goforth
2008-09 2 7 Gary Goforth
2009-10 3 6 Gary Goforth
2010-11 5 5 Patrick J. New
2011-12 1 8 Patrick J. New
2012-13 11 2 Patrick New
2013-14 6 4 Pat New
2014-15 6 4 Pat New
2015-16 8 3 Patrick New
2016-17 10 3 Patrick New
2017-18 9 4 Patrick New

2002-03 4 6 Gary Goforth
2003-04 7 5 Gary Goforth
2004-05 6 4 Gary Goforth
2005-06 2 7 Gary Goforth
2006-07 6 5 Gary Goforth
2007-08 3 6 Gary Goforth
2008-09 2 7 Gary Goforth
2009-10 3 6 Gary Goforth
2012-13 11 2 Patrick New
2013-14 6 4 Pat New
2014-15 6 4 Pat New
2015-16 8 3 Patrick New
2016-17 10 3 Patrick New
2017-18 9 4 Patrick New

Sorry, I do not understand

Gary Goforth is AD and previous head coach
I just did not understand the correlation to Carmel since Goforth retired peacefully after 31 years, with an "open door" to come back into coaching. He went out on his own accord. Sounds nothing like the situation at Carmel. Administration fired its head coach, did a terrible job of doing it, had no succession plan, left a school divided, and a football program in shambles. Then they leave the guy in the building as AD and tell him you have no say so in football.Tell me the comparison here...

How does someone think it is a good idea to fire the football coach and then allow him to remain on as the Athletic Director. The whole department has to be toxic.

Reactions: JolietWest89

2002-03 4 6 Gary Goforth
2003-04 7 5 Gary Goforth
2004-05 6 4 Gary Goforth
2005-06 2 7 Gary Goforth
2006-07 6 5 Gary Goforth
2007-08 3 6 Gary Goforth
2008-09 2 7 Gary Goforth
2009-10 3 6 Gary Goforth
2012-13 11 2 Patrick New
2013-14 6 4 Pat New
2014-15 6 4 Pat New
2015-16 8 3 Patrick New
2016-17 10 3 Patrick New
2017-18 9 4 Patrick New

Not even close to being the same thing. Pat New was on the staff for 2 years as an Asst. prior to moving to HC. Gary Goforth was ready to retire from coaching and stayed on initially as a teacher and AD, then after another year just AD. My understanding was he was part of the hiring process. He is still involved with the program in that he still does their schedules, provides needed items and on the sidelines/press box at each game, just like a normal AD interacts with a FB program.

Not even close to being the same thing. Pat New was on the staff for 2 years as an Asst. prior to moving to HC. Gary Goforth was ready to retire from coaching and stayed on initially as a teacher and AD, then after another year just AD. My understanding was he was part of the hiring process. He is still involved with the program in that he still does their schedules, provides needed items and on the sidelines/press box at each game, just like a normal AD interacts with a FB program.
This sounds much closer to the current transition at JCA than what is going on at Carmel.

I just did not understand the correlation to Carmel since Goforth retired peacefully after 31 years, with an "open door" to come back into coaching. He went out on his own accord. Sounds nothing like the situation at Carmel. Administration fired its head coach, did a terrible job of doing it, had no succession plan, left a school divided, and a football program in shambles. Then they leave the guy in the building as AD and tell him you have no say so in football.Tell me the comparison here...

Can you please elaborate on “left a school divided”?

Last edited:
Pat New sure has taken the program to another level after Goforth.

Tomorrow marks the halfway point of February and I have heard on this board that Carmel's plan was to announce the new coach in mid February. Any further news on where they are at in the hiring process, who the finalists are, and how close we are to an announcement?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT