ADVERTISEMENT

Camp Point Whips Althoff - Humble Pie

Someone from Camp Point said that is what he heard and it was so immediate even after a positive CP play - less than a minute i to the game.

We heard many compliments of out “athletes” and how they were shocked they could even keep up with Althoff.

Crusaders fumbled twice within the five in the first two minutes. Game over.

Down 30 to nothing at the end of 1Q ... EVERYTHING that could have gone wrong did.

What caused these mental mistakes? Big (despite tiny) stage* get to them? Big heads believing they could mail it in? Big mistakes in planning and adjustments? Big plays by Camp point.

Opening kickoff from a bunch formation ACHS's two receivers at about the 20 - kicked to the left, landing 10 yards behind to receiver, who bobbles it and they start at the three - then three and out, blocked punt and the ball is recovered at the 1. They gain the 2PAT.

8-0, 10:32

Line drive kickoff at the same kid picked it up at the 10, horizontal/backward run and fumble, recovered by CP at the 1. First play score - CP running all over the Crusaders. They gain the 2PAT.

16-0, 10:16

Althoff picked in the endzone.

CP runs it down the field. A good 20 yard pass, Althoff offsides, more running. score. They gain the 2PAT.

24-0, 00:30

Onside kick recovered - WIDE OPEN pass. They fail the 2PAT.

30-0, 00:22.8 1Q

Hard to recover from that.

Ends up 42-22.

Damn - what a whooping.

Hill and Dowell at juniors and the QB a frosh, among many other returners. They will eat this humble pie and learn from it.

Down 30 to nothing at the end of 1Q ... EVERYTHING that could have gone wrong did.

What caused these mental mistakes? Big (despite tiny) stage* get to them? Big heads believing they could mail it in? Big mistakes in planning and adjustments? Big plays by Camp point.

Opening kickoff from a bunch formation ACHS's two receivers at about the 20 - kicked to the left, landing 10 yards behind to receiver, who bobbles it and they start at the three - then three and out, blocked punt and the ball is recovered at the 1. They gain the 2PAT.

8-0, 10:32

Line drive kickoff at the same kid picked it up at the 10, horizontal/backward run and fumble, recovered by CP at the 1. First play score - CP running all over the Crusaders. They gain the 2PAT.

16-0, 10:16

Althoff picked in the endzone.

CP runs it down the field. A good 20 yard pass, Althoff offsides, more running. score. They gain the 2PAT.

24-0, 00:30

Onside kick recovered - WIDE OPEN pass. They fail the 2PAT.

30-0, 00:22.8 1Q

Hard to recover from that.

Ends up 42-22.

Damn - what a whooping.

Hill and Dowell at juniors and the QB a frosh, among many other returners. They will eat this humble pie and learn from it.

They didn't respect 1A football and found out the hard way. The bigger issue going into next year is expectations will be high therefore people will be gunning for them from the beginning. The BE game will be interesting.

I am not sure who BE replaces, but that will be a step up, except for maybe St. Doms, I hope they stay on the schedule.
It's a step up from talent and size but it won't prepare them for 1A football. It will have to be between weeks 1-3 based on the SWC schedule.

Small town with kids that will put everything on the line with nothing to lose. On side kicks, trick plays, etc. Teams that you probably appear to be a lot better than but, they are great at what they do.
It was a perfect storm of the variety describing the video link. Bad things by one lead to good things for the other so amazingly quickly.

Do you mean to imply that Althoff would not "put everything on the line?" That seems odd to suggest that.

Small town with kids that will put everything on the line with nothing to lose. On side kicks, trick plays, etc. Teams that you probably appear to be a lot better than but, they are great at what they do.
Small town kids play harder than medium town kids or suburban kids or city kids? That's an interesting take. From my experience, the size of the town has nothing to do with whether kids put it all on the line.

It was a perfect storm of the variety describing the video link. Bad things by one lead to good things for the other so amazingly quickly.

Do you mean to imply that Althoff would not "put everything on the line?" That seems odd to suggest that.
I didn't imply anything. You asked me what is 1A ball. Do you think playing Camp Central at home is the same as playing collinsville at Collinsville?

In the video, the fumble punt was a result of an attempted fake from his own end zone. I am sure the kid felt he was invincible and there were moments in the game where he was clearly the best on the field. Do you think he attempt a fake punt against let's say a Rochester from his own end zone?

We just have a disconnect - we probably agree, but the right words have not been typed. yes, 1A is farmer ball. That makes them no different than a Belleville boy, or a youngster from East St. Louis, as far as how much they want to succeed.
There are plenty of those “farmer ball,” kids that are playing D1 football.

Althoff chose to read their own press clippings and wanted everyone to know how good they were. If you have to tell everyone how good you are, you aren’t.

Small town kids play harder than medium town kids or suburban kids or city kids? That's an interesting take. From my experience, the size of the town has nothing to do with whether kids put it all on the line.
This may not be his take on that, but when you get a team like althoff with two 4*, highly touted kids come to your field, im sure they will be playing with a little extra motivation. How many 1a schools have a 4* kid, let alone 2.

This may not be his take on that, but when you get a team like althoff with two 4*, highly touted kids come to your field, im sure they will be playing with a little extra motivation. How many 1a schools have a 4* kid, let alone 2.
We did hear those comments from the locals.

I was in many highlights as I was standing three yards behind the endzone,

We just have a disconnect - we probably agree, but the right words have not been typed. yes, 1A is farmer ball. That makes them no different than a Belleville boy, or a youngster from East St. Louis, as far as how much they want to succeed.
The amount of kids balling their eyes out on the Althoff side after that loss tells us they care, a lot. They care just as much as farmer boy who plays farmer ball. The difference is these kids in Camp Point, these are the biggest moments that happen in that town. Most if not all of them will never play football after high school. Props to CPC for representing Adams County, suggesting they wanted it more is delusion. Congrats to Althoff on a great season.

Agree. The issue was adding to my words to assume I suggested that Althoff didn't play hard. I never said anything remotely close. I simply described 1A ball as a whole. The most important part of my statement was "Teams that you probably appear to be a lot better than but, they are great at what they do." should have created the discussion versus the theory of one playing harder versus the other.

As a state champion yourself, I am sure you understand learning how to win in the playoffs is the most difficult part of it all. Looking at that film, what are some things that can be worked on in the off season that can change the outcome of the game?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT