ADVERTISEMENT

Buffalo Grove

RR29

Dec 5, 2014
Not being a smart a$$ but has BG been successful since their no tackle/contact has been enforced. I understand where they are coming from but don’t forget football is a contact sport and if you don’t practice something/tackling/hitting you won’t be good at it. This is football not pickleball!

Not being a smart a$$ but has BG been successful since their no tackle/contact has been enforced. I understand where they are coming from but don’t forget football is a contact sport and if you don’t practice something/tackling/hitting you won’t be good at it. This is football not pickleball!
According to ihsa numbers, since plan was implemented fir the 2019 season they are 4-5 5-1 (spring) 9-2 and 4-6. That is probably pretty much similar to what they have been doing in the 2010s, better than years just before that and far worse than the schools glory days. So based solely on w and L, it kind of looks like little difference. I have no clue regarding injuries since the practice change, but likely the coaching staff monitors that.

This is a nonstory… good programs probably have a live segment or two per week that is very isolated.

Sorry but football is a contact sport. Until that changes, keep hitting in practice. For those who want to bring pussification to football, transition to soccer

Sorry but football is a contact sport. Until that changes, keep hitting in practice. For those who want to bring pussification to football, transition to soccer
I have seen a lot of programs practice in the last 5-10 years and very few of them seem to be doing any live hitting/takedown work in season. It seems largely to be technique work, “thudding,” and only taking down dummies and donuts.

I am not familiar at all with what BG has in writing. But if it is just a limit or prohibition on contact in practice, they would just be codifying what over 90 percent of schools are doing naturally now anyway.

Just my perception that practices today look nothing at all like they did in 2010 and drastically different from what they were like in the 1980s or 90s. Some schools may be all the way no hard contact in practice, but even those that still “hit” put it into much shorter segments and rarely take to the ground.

Loyola under John Holecek only did thud. Do you want to tell former NFL Linebacker John Holicek that he's bringing the pussification to football?
Kinda an apples and oranges comparison in programs BG has a lot more kids that have never played football prior to HS where as LA is recruiting many of the kids in their program specifically for football. LA can go thud due to the type of athlete they have but 90% of other schools don’t have that luxury.

Kinda an apples and oranges comparison in programs BG has a lot more kids that have never played football prior to HS where as LA is recruiting many of the kids in their program specifically for football. LA can go thud due to the type of athlete they have but 90% of other schools don’t have that luxury.
How many kids at BG do you think have never played football prior to HS???? Honestly….

How many kids at BG do you think have never played football prior to HS???? Honestly….
Though getting older by the minute it seems like at one point that the Buffalo Grove Youth football 8th grade team I think had some sort of ridiculous winning streak.
I mean I think it was like maybe in the 40s covering nearly a half decade.
The only thing I actually know about BG youth grid is they have a nice field that you can drive past on a major east/west road.
But if my memory is correct about the win streak, I would say I would agree with BG High footballers having experience before taking to the pitch as freshmen.

I’m not saying BG are a bunch of pus$$/, I am saying football in general is/has been soft in the recent history. Football is a contact sport, unless you practice that contact you won’t be good at it. Have one day a week full contact, tackling drills. It will make the kids better players. NFL players can’t tackle all they try is strip the ball. It’s meant to be a violent sport, if you don’t want to be violent don’t play there’s always pickleball

Though getting older by the minute it seems like at one point that the Buffalo Grove Youth football 8th grade team I think had some sort of ridiculous winning streak.
I mean I think it was like maybe in the 40s covering nearly a half decade.
The only thing I actually know about BG youth grid is they have a nice field that you can drive past on a major east/west road.
But if my memory is correct about the win streak, I would say I would agree with BG High footballers having experience before taking to the pitch as freshmen.
Many of those kids went to Stevenson. That team aslo had a running back from Lombard, who went on to play at Naz, The also had another kid from Bartlett.

That being said, that team was very well-coached.

Coaches need to keep players heathy, and another problem is retention.

Going to ground causes more injuries there are smarter ways to teach technique and skill than doing the Oklahoma drill.
And that is Vlk's point. I have had many discussions with him about this.

Football has been limiting contact for years. Most teams are doing this. This really isn't a story! BG is
an average program at best.

Reactions: RichieRebel
I’d be curious to hear how many coaches hit in practice more than once a week. The old meatball mentality that you gotta hit all the time is gone. Was a bad idea then as it is now.

Some programs in Lake County rarely if ever go full contact once the season starts.

No point in getting your guys banged up in practice. So what BG is doing is not all that unusual.

I totally agree with what BG is doing. The things they are finding out about continued head trauma is scarey.

I’m not saying BG are a bunch of pus$$/, I am saying football in general is/has been soft in the recent history. Football is a contact sport, unless you practice that contact you won’t be good at it. Have one day a week full contact, tackling drills. It will make the kids better players. NFL players can’t tackle all they try is strip the ball. It’s meant to be a violent sport, if you don’t want to be violent don’t play there’s always pickleball
Well, about 10 years ago all of the concussion stuff started and coaches at every level were told to change or we will lose the game.

And that is exactly what coaches have done. They have adapted and found ways to teach being physical without beating the you know what out of each other.

Well, about 10 years ago all of the concussion stuff started and coaches at every level were told to change or we will lose the game.

And that is exactly what coaches have done. They have adapted and found ways to teach being physical without beating the you know what out of each other.
To add to this discussion. You practice to get ready for the actual real game. If your players get injured in practice how does that help the team get better.

And since those changes, the numbers of particpants is up. Way up.

Reactions: corey90
That sort of suggests that at the high school level that schools are fielding more levels of teams than they were 10 years ago.
Such as more players means freshsman sophomore JV varsity maybe even freshman a and freshman B.
From following stuff on this site I was under the impression that participation is way down with schools not having 4 or 5 levels of football but maybe just 2 or 3.
Maybe somebody can clarify. Is football participation way up in 2023 from 10 years ago or the same or is it down?

That sort of suggests that at the high school level that schools are fielding more levels of teams than they were 10 years ago.
Such as more players means freshsman sophomore JV varsity maybe even freshman a and freshman B.
From following stuff on this site I was under the impression that participation is way down with schools not having 4 or 5 levels of football but maybe just 2 or 3.
Maybe somebody can clarify. Is football participation way up in 2023 from 10 years ago or the same or is it down?
I think it certainly has stopped the downward trend that was happening.

Exactly… the days of freshmen a/b, sophs, jv, and varsity are gone but for a couple years there was a lot of fresh and varsity only.

I’d argue the complete opposite is true. Better athletes = more force which = bigger impacts.

I see both sides of this. MC goes full speed and practices how they play, it’s a proven system there and they won’t shy from it and I agree if it’s not broke don’t fix it. But MC’s roster is loaded with talent. Most of their back ups could start at many other schools, and while losing someone like Dupree at a practice would be a huge blow, well MC has Manning and others that can step in. It’s next man up. Some schools don’t have that luxury and if they lose players in practice, that could be their season. Let’s see if it works…..

There are lots of definitions of no tackling.

For many teams, no tackling just means blowing the whistle at first thud.

For others, it is no person to person contact beyond a touch. Only hits are on dummies or blocking pads.

Many are somewhere in between.

Does anyone know EXACTLY what BG does.

You HAVE to hit during the week.

Not hitting and expecting the kids to be ready to tackle off Friday nights is actually more dangerous for the kids.

Dan Campbell on hitting in Practice
This is from last year on hard knocks. I think it’s spot on.
Not a coach but from what I have seen in is plenty of "hitting" happening in practice but it is done in a different way. You don't always have to "hit" a person and there are a lot of ways coaches teach hitting without hitting one of your teammates.

Good coaches teach proper tackling techniques in almost every practice. It can be done without going with traditional Oklahoma, one on one drills, and tackling to the ground during 11 on 11 time. Don't get me wrong, there is still a place for those types of drills but the days of doing them on Tuesday all season long have gone by the wayside. If you teach the proper technique day in and day out then on Fridays the kids will do it the right way, do it fast, and do it safe.

Reactions: colin2229
I see both sides of this. MC goes full speed and practices how they play, it’s a proven system there and they won’t shy from it and I agree if it’s not broke don’t fix it. But MC’s roster is loaded with talent. Most of their back ups could start at many other schools, and while losing someone like Dupree at a practice would be a huge blow, well MC has Manning and others that can step in. It’s next man up. Some schools don’t have that luxury and if they lose players in practice, that could be their season. Let’s see if it works…..
They take guys to the ground four days a week before the game on Friday? Every program I know of practices full speed and “thud” is absolutely contact. The difference is you just shoot your hips through the tackle and hold your guy up. Not taking to the ground. I imagine when you say they go “full speed” that is what you mean most days. They may take guys to the ground once or maybe twice a week, but anything more than that would make them an absolute outlier for any program above the youth level. Your top nfl, sec, and big ten schools are doing things this way and have been for some time.

You HAVE to hit during the week.

Not hitting and expecting the kids to be ready to tackle off Friday nights is actually more dangerous for the kids.

Dan Campbell on hitting in Practice
This is from last year on hard knocks. I think it’s spot on.
You don’t have to hit during the week. It’s a tired narrative that simply does not happen on a broad scope. It’s been this way for a while

They take guys to the ground four days a week before the game on Friday? Every program I know of practices full speed and “thud” is absolutely contact. The difference is you just shoot your hips through the tackle and hold your guy up. Not taking to the ground. I imagine when you say they go “full speed” that is what you mean most days. They may take guys to the ground once or maybe twice a week, but anything more than that would make them an absolute outlier for any program above the youth level. Your top nfl, sec, and big ten schools are doing things this way and have been for some time.
Light Monday, hard Tuesday Wednesday, walk through only Thursday unless things have changed in recent years. QB obviously off limits. It’s been some time since I had a son in the program but from what I’m told it’s still run that way. I’m sure as the season gets into the later weeks and people are banged up it may ease up but contact is still made a couple days a week. It obviously works for them

Reactions: Gene K.
Tribune online report says in 2007 season 51,334 played prepbfb on illinois. In 2019 season total was 38,366. No 2020 season. Numbers apparently have stabilized according to online report in past two years but the numbers do not appear to indicate they are way up at the high school level as of now. Obviously that could change in future as youth fb kids advance to high school level. One story suggested chicago public league numbers total have been way down recently. I don’t know myself.

You don’t have to hit during the week. It’s a tired narrative that simply does not happen on a broad scope. It’s been this way for a while
I Disagree. You need to practice the game the way it’s played on game day during the week.

My last season coaching at the college level (D3) this was our schedule:

Monday - Off
Tuesday - Full go. Went 1 on 1’s for three different periods (including goal line)
Wednesday - Helmets and uppers. Thud speed
Thursday - Helmets only. Fit speed
Friday - walk thru

Had the #1 defense in all of college football- 9.7ppg game.

Coached one season at the D1 level and it was extremely physical. Went something like 15 days consecutive in Aug with full pads. Only practices that weren’t full pads and full go were double days and the second practice was shells.

There are ways to go full go and prevent injuries that have drastically improved over the past several years

Tribune online report says in 2007 season 51,334 played prepbfb on illinois. In 2019 season total was 38,366. No 2020 season. Numbers apparently have stabilized according to online report in past two years but the numbers do not appear to indicate they are way up at the high school level as of now. Obviously that could change in future as youth fb kids advance to high school level. One story suggested chicago public league numbers total have been way down recently. I don’t know myself.
I have charted the MSL and CSL for the past three seasons. I can tell you that total progarm numbers are up.

New Trier, Highland Park and Conant are up 33% from last season to this season.

I Disagree. You need to practice the game the way it’s played on game day during the week.

My last season coaching at the college level (D3) this was our schedule:

Monday - Off
Tuesday - Full go. Went 1 on 1’s for three different periods (including goal line)
Wednesday - Helmets and uppers. Thud speed
Thursday - Helmets only. Fit speed
Friday - walk thru

Had the #1 defense in all of college football- 9.7ppg game.

Coached one season at the D1 level and it was extremely physical. Went something like 15 days consecutive in Aug with full pads. Only practices that weren’t full pads and full go were double days and the second practice was shells.

There are ways to go full go and prevent injuries that have drastically improved over the past several years
And it’s not like this right now. It’s changed. I too was a coach - coached for 10 years. I wanted it hit and take to the ground every practice. By the time I was at the end of my run we hit (thud) on tuesdays and that was for a small portion of practice. 13-1 and a title later it worked. My players were fresh, their legs were good and they had far greater stamina than my opponents- oh and we tackled too.

This is the way it is now. It’s not going to change

Reactions: Quags57
And it’s not like this right now. It’s changed. I too was a coach - coached for 10 years. I wanted it hit and take to the ground every practice. By the time I was at the end of my run we hit (thud) on tuesdays and that was for a small portion of practice. 13-1 and a title later it worked. My players were fresh, their legs were good and they had far greater stamina than my opponents- oh and we tackled too.

This is the way it is now. It’s not going to change
Maybe you woulda went 14-0 if you tackled in practice 😉

JK, sounds like you guys had a heckuva team. We can agree to disagree.

If you only tackle on Tuesday’s you’ll be fresh by game day.

Legs being fresh has very little to do with tackling.

Last edited:
Reactions: LakeCtyNewt
Practice and Game Time

Maybe you woulda went 14-0 if you tackled in practice 😉

JK, sounds like you guys had a heckuva team. We can agree to disagree.

If you only tackle on Tuesday’s you’ll be fresh by game day.

Legs being fresh has very little to do with tackling.
The biggest killer to a won-loss record is not turnovers, poor coaching, or luck. It’s injuries. You can simulate tackling with dummies and thud drills and stay fresh. Many teams that you see go full go have big numbers and can risk injuries because of depth.

After coaching for 20 years (and playing at BG), I see that kids don’t quit or not come out because it’s too tough. It’s because they have a lot more choices or are specializing (which is really dumb).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT