ADVERTISEMENT

BR 42 SR 21 Final

St. Hopkins severely out coached tonight. 4th and 4 needs a score late in 4th lines up and punts away. Why not attempt the offsides trick and take the delay of game. # 100 MPH wins the night !

Reactions: chakazulu89
Rita’s tackling tonight was subpar, especially by their secondary. Rice didn’t do anything fancy they just kinda ran right them. I don’t know why they didn’t go for it on 4th and 4 with 4 minutes left near midfield….Saffold was in for a bit but it must have been a decoy because he ended up leaving….Owen Lynch was playing on the Soph team for most of the year so he’s still getting used to Varsity speed. We’ll see what seed both teams get at 5-4 with good playoff points.

I think Rita and Rice will be 25 and 26 or 26 and 27. Not sure who's gets the higher seed. I know SR had the lead at one point, but BR dominated Rita's defense. Penalties held BR back.

Rocks Recap:

Congratulations to the Crusaders on making the playoffs.

Tough to see the tackling issues come back at a time of the season that a team can’t afford those fundamental breakdowns.

So in the pregame analysis I mentioned that St. Rita’s offense wouldn’t keep D coordinators up at night but I thought they called and played a very good offensive game.

3 TDs off 3 turnovers was the difference. 27-21, you get the big stop, forcing a punt and getting the ball at midfield against a D that hasn’t stopped them since the 1st quarter and then a muffed punt, then 34-21, game over.

So the offense was able to show a pick your poison to future opponents, people saw the rough night on defense and our 3rd muffed punt of the season (of the ones I’ve seen, possibly more that we recovered). DJ looked fresh, Maxson looked dangerous and Herman looked solid. I am looking forward to an exciting playoff season. I hope the rest of the state thinks St. Rita will be an easy out.

The officials were extremely solid, kept control of an emotional game, hit both teams with costly infractions as they were made. But, and there’s always a but😂, but I’ve seen it more than once since St. Rita has gone with the one on one go route to Maxson: If the wide receiver plants his foot and attempts to make a play on an easily catchable ball but is impeded by the defensive back from playing the ball because the DBs facemask is into the wide receiver’s chest plate, I would assume that would be defensive pass interference, no? Again, maybe no difference in this game but I’ve seen it multiple times this year and want to know why Maxson cannot make a play on a extremely catchable ball because he is getting tackled by a DB that doesn’t know where the ball is?

But hats off to Nauden, dominated in a must win game, very impressive young man. Great job by the Brother Rice Offensive Line and I thought both QBs showed themselves to be very capable of taking the Crusaders on a deep playoff run.

Onto the playoffs for both quality teams

Great write up on above - Rita's turnovers doomed them. Rice had some killer penalties snd some key missed tackles as well . Hoping your QB is ok. I really thing Rita needs to use Herman and Stewart in the same backfield at all times.

Reactions: RockSoup
Rocks Recap:

Congratulations to the Crusaders on making the playoffs.

Tough to see the tackling issues come back at a time of the season that a team can’t afford those fundamental breakdowns.

So in the pregame analysis I mentioned that St. Rita’s offense wouldn’t keep D coordinators up at night but I thought they called and played a very good offensive game.

3 TDs off 3 turnovers was the difference. 27-21, you get the big stop, forcing a punt and getting the ball at midfield against a D that hasn’t stopped them since the 1st quarter and then a muffed punt, then 34-21, game over.

So the offense was able to show a pick your poison to future opponents, people saw the rough night on defense and our 3rd muffed punt of the season (of the ones I’ve seen, possibly more that we recovered). DJ looked fresh, Maxson looked dangerous and Herman looked solid. I am looking forward to an exciting playoff season. I hope the rest of the state thinks St. Rita will be an easy out.

The officials were extremely solid, kept control of an emotional game, hit both teams with costly infractions as they were made. But, and there’s always a but😂, but I’ve seen it more than once since St. Rita has gone with the one on one go route to Maxson: If the wide receiver plants his foot and attempts to make a play on an easily catchable ball but is impeded by the defensive back from playing the ball because the DBs facemask is into the wide receiver’s chest plate, I would assume that would be defensive pass interference, no? Again, maybe no difference in this game but I’ve seen it multiple times this year and want to know why Maxson cannot make a play on a extremely catchable ball because he is getting tackled by a DB that doesn’t know where the ball is?

But hats off to Nauden, dominated in a must win game, very impressive young man. Great job by the Brother Rice Offensive Line and I thought both QBs showed themselves to be very capable of taking the Crusaders on a deep playoff run.

Onto the playoffs for both quality teams
This is a great recap. Not sure about QB Jett's status for next week, but the offense was very solid, with solid play calling. I love it when SR goes into the I-formation at times; I thought DJ had close to 70 yards in the 1st half. Saw TE down the middle a couple of times, which is nice. TE pops will be there at times. With DJ and Junior Hermann, the potential is definitely there.

Overall, the defense has been solid this year. Today, they had a rough game. Can't be jumping offsides on third and six. Some missed tackles on big plays as mentioned in this thread. After the Sandburg game, I expressed concerns about teams just running the ball up the gut with significant gains. BR did that today.

0 - 3 in the Blue. It is what it is. I definitely miss the Green. :) Doesn't matter anyway with the changes to come. I just hope playing against big, physical lines of scrimmages in the Blue will prepare Cascia next week.

New season commences next week. I am anticipating with Rita being the first 5-4 team seeded, then BR. Wouldn't be surprised if SR is a 26 or 27th seed.

Great write up on above - Rita's turnovers doomed them. Rice had some killer penalties snd some key missed tackles as well . Hoping your QB is ok. I really thing Rita needs to use Herman and Stewart in the same backfield at all times.
I definitely get your point. They have been used together more in a split backfield this year than say DJ and Ethan last year, right, makes sense, force LBs to split their concerns or focus.

But I can see that with an OLine that has not created much space , you put HBack Bonner near there, now there’s 25 players in the box😂, so I can understand why they don’t or can’t do it 100% of the time. (I thought St. Rita’s offensive line had their best game tonight, they created some lanes) so maybe Bonner can split out now if the OLine keeps improving.

And yes, your Crusaders had 1st and 25 that they eventually converted (dagger), and a TD called back on a hold so, yep, I hope my one complaint about a non call that I’ve seen a few times already this year does not take away from how well the Crusaders played.

And as you can see, they have some things to clean up too, but the young men needed a win and went out and took it. Hat tip.

Last edited:
In Edgy’s recap of the Kankakee game at the 5:00 minute mark, there’s a perfect example of a Kay WR being able to come back to a one on one ball and make the catch because the DB was playing the ball and not tackling the WR which would or should be a penalty.

It doesn’t say anything in the rules that a ball has to be perfectly placed for a penalty to be called. Maybe it wasn’t a go route, maybe it’s a new play called the 30 yard curl, doesn’t matter, a WR can go catch the ball, when it’s clearly not uncatchable.

And yeah, as someone that’s watched this game for a long time and have only seen 2 games, one in 1983 and one in 2001 that were poorly officiated down in a different region of the state, I never complain at all.

But I am going to allow myself to be a called a whiner on this type of play and non call. We are entering the playoffs and one score differential games coming up so 15 yards is 15 yards. Remember Mt. Carmel moved past Batavia with a called DPI on a double move so they are extremely important to be called when they happen.

If teams are going to stuff 10 in the box and just tackle the WR (and Brother Rice did not do this, I’m just talking about the one missed call) and leave it to the officials to make the call, gambling half won’t be called then let’s just refresh our understanding of the rule before the playoff season begins.

And while stewing over this, I recalled it hasn’t been non called just once or twice, it’s happened in every single game this year where other teams’ WRs are allowed to comeback to the ball and St. Rita’s WRs (mainly Maxson) are not. Am I confusing a HS rule with a college or NFL rule? Am I missing something?

Again not talking about Brother Rice, they played an excellent game in all facets of the game when they needed it most.

Last edited:
In Edgy’s recap of the Kankakee game at the 5:00 minute mark, there’s a perfect example of a Kay WR being able to come back to a one on one ball and make the catch because the DB was playing the ball and not tackling the WR which would or should be a penalty.

It doesn’t say anything in the rules that a ball has to be perfectly placed for a penalty to be called. Maybe it wasn’t a go route, maybe it’s a new play called the 30 yard curl, doesn’t matter, a WR can go catch the ball, when it’s clearly not uncatchable.

And yeah, as someone that’s watched this game for a long time and have only seen 2 games, one in 1983 and one in 2001 that were poorly officiated down in a different region of the state, I never complain at all.

But I am going to allow myself to be a called a whiner on this type of play and non call. We are entering the playoffs and one score differential games coming up so 15 yards is 15 yards. Remember Mt. Carmel moved past Batavia with a called DPI on a double move so they are extremely important to be called when they happen.

If teams are going to stuff 10 in the box and just tackle the WR (and Brother Rice did not do this, I’m just talking about the one missed call) and leave it to the officials to make the call, gambling half won’t be called then let’s just refresh our understanding of the rule before the playoff season begins.

And while stewing over this, I recalled it hasn’t been non called just once or twice, it’s happened in every single game this year where other teams’ WRs are allowed to comeback to the ball and St. Rita’s WRs (mainly Maxson) are not. Am I confusing a HS rule with a college or NFL rule? Am I missing something?

Again not talking about Brother Rice, they played an excellent game in all facets of the game when they needed it most.
Rice looked like a very good traditional Catholic League team last night. They don’t have the receiving core they had last year, so they’re incredibly lucky to have Nauden. What a runner.

I hadn’t seen Rita all year but knew they were coming in like Rice with a lot of injuries. It was a much closer game than the score dictates. Rice just got some good luck on special teams and a couple of tipped passes. (They had some crappy unsportsmanlike/dead ball penalties that they were lucky didn’t haunt them).

I have a question about #8 Hurley?? Why isn’t he more involved? Talk about a blazer. I also like the big man coming out of the backfield. The soph QB that came in as well. Inexperienced in Varsity level, but seemed to have a lot of confidence, moved very well and capable of throwing the ball 40 yards downfield.

Again, the score doesn’t show it, but it was a close game. In ways it reminded me of the 6 OT scrum 20 years ago that started a rivalry between these two for at least a decade. Rice Rita seems like it hasn’t been talked about as much the last couple of years when they actually do play one another.

Was last night the spark that renews this neighborhood brawl?

Reactions: RockSoup
Rice looked like a very good traditional Catholic League team last night. They don’t have the receiving core they had last year, so they’re incredibly lucky to have Nauden. What a runner.

I hadn’t seen Rita all year but knew they were coming in like Rice with a lot of injuries. It was a much closer game than the score dictates. Rice just got some good luck on special teams and a couple of tipped passes. (They had some crappy unsportsmanlike/dead ball penalties that they were lucky didn’t haunt them).

I have a question about #8 Hurley?? Why isn’t he more involved? Talk about a blazer. I also like the big man coming out of the backfield. The soph QB that came in as well. Inexperienced in Varsity level, but seemed to have a lot of confidence, moved very well and capable of throwing the ball 40 yards downfield.

Again, the score doesn’t show it, but it was a close game. In ways it reminded me of the 6 OT scrum 20 years ago that started a rivalry between these two for at least a decade. Rice Rita seems like it hasn’t been talked about as much the last couple of years when they actually do play one another.

I couldn’t agree with you more. I didn’t like the outcome but it was a lot of great young men laying it on the line last night and fun to watch.

Great program sweep, BR needed that
2nd season here we come, can’t wait to see the 5-4 CCL teams best on some top seeds

I was at that 6 OT game. It was emotionally draining. Kudos to Kuska who on 4th and goal from either the 2 or 3 yard line decided not to go for the tie with a field goal but ran the ball in for the win. He must have had late reservations at Palermo's.

As far as Rita/Rice thing goes MC/LA has been dominating for a few years now. With the quality at the lower levels I think SR/BR may be able to give them a run for their money in the near future.

I think the BR/Marist and the MC/SR games brings out the best in high school football. I think the BR/SR games could be on that level if we were playing for all the marbles like MC/LA are today.

I don't like having the CCL Blue teams beating the crap out of each other the last week of the season going into the playoffs.

Last edited:
This will on depend on what MC does today, Sourcie has BR playing Hersey and SR playing Maine West. This of course can all change if MC loses but Hersey is destroying everyone this year and Maine West is having a good year, not sure how either will match up. If MC loses, and I’m 100% spitballing because I have no idea how this would effect things but they would then be the 5 or 6 seed and may get SR at home in round 1

3 turnovers like Rock said is going to kill any team especially in the playoff type atmosphere. One question I have is why the read option plays knowing your QB is on the mend? Better yet, if you do run, slide…Too many turnovers to count on special teams all season, lack of kickoff defense, opponents getting 30-40 yard run backs on kicks. They have to get that together .

Reactions: tomloner
This will on depend on what MC does today, Sourcie has BR playing Hersey and SR playing Maine West. This of course can all change if MC loses but Hersey is destroying everyone this year and Maine West is having a good year, not sure how either will match up. If MC loses, and I’m 100% spitballing because I have no idea how this would effect things but they would then be the 5 or 6 seed and may get SR at home in round 1
I think if MC loses, they'd knock Batavia out of the 7th seed. MW undefeated at #6. Best one-loss team would be next at the 7th seed.

Reactions: McCaravan
I think if MC loses, they'd knock Batavia out of the 7th seed. MW undefeated at #6. Best one-loss team would be next.

I think if MC loses, they'd knock Batavia out of the 7th seed. MW undefeated at #6. Best one-loss team would be next.
You are most definitely right! I stink at doing this. I will stop and let the experts handle this after the cards have been dealt.

Reactions: Wittymoniker1
Hersey is about 30 points better than Maine West.

I'd rather play at Batavia than play at MC after MC loss to LA. MC is going to be out for blood the rest of the way. Batavia is a great team with a super good QB heading to North Dakota State and a good LB (SIU commit) and OL who is going to Ball State. Batavia looked average vs WWS 2 weeks ago. Rice will need to play turnover free ball to win

I'd rather play at Batavia than play at MC after MC loss to LA. MC is going to be out for blood the rest of the way. Batavia is a great team with a super good QB heading to North Dakota State and a good LB (SIU commit) and OL who is going to Ball State. Batavia looked average vs WWS 2 weeks ago. Rice will need to play turnover free ball to win
We can both agree that MC on the road and/or Batavia on the road is still a better first round State Playoff matchup than Marist received

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT