ADVERTISEMENT

BR 31 - JCA 24 Final (OT)

JCA is still allowing too many big plays in critical situations. And by big plays I mean long gainers. Several times last night on 3rd and very long, BR converted. Not just in the OT TD, which was a great great catch.
Is JCA’s #13 the running back injured??

Reactions: rjjtwest
JCA is still allowing too many big plays in critical situations. And by big plays I mean long gainers. Several times last night on 3rd and very long, BR converted. Not just in the OT TD, which was a great great catch.
Agreed.
Yes he was.

Yes, grigsby is injured!

Yea I agree. But I saw steps forward today. The defensive front actually got penetration and created some havoc in the backfield with regularity.

some of that may be due to rice’s questionable offensive line (I only say that because I read more than a few rice faithful mention their growing pains throughout the season). However, there was noticeable push off the ball.

for this team to make a run, they will need to match yesterdays defensive front success and build further upon it.

Yea I agree. But I saw steps forward today. The defensive front actually got penetration and created some havoc in the backfield with regularity.
Agreed. The D-line played one of their better games.

IMO, one of the big keys to the loss was Rice outplaying the Hilltoppers in special teams. They got a big block on a FG attempt. Pinned JCA deep on the series after that phantom intentional grounding call, which was obviously a fumble. And had a big punt return to flip field position when it was 14-3 and JCA got stopped in Rice territory. One thing I don't understand about JCA's approach to punt coverage is they don't substitute into a "punt coverage unit". That means you have a bunch of O-linemen running down to cover a punt. Virtually no one at any level of football has that approach to punt coverage and for good reason.

Right now, JCA is 5-2. They are 2-2 in one possession games. So, they are two plays from being 7-0 and 2 plays from being 3-4. So, 5-2 seems about right with a realist chance of being 7-2 at the end.

Reactions: penlight
Fantastic game that should have never gotten to OT. That intentional grounding was a joke. JCA probably puts it away if they got the ball there. Regardless, great HSFB game. Rice wouldn’t quit.
No question they missed the call and it should’ve been a live ball (fumble). However BR’s lineman was in perfect position to recover it until he pulled up after hearing the whistle blowing the play dead.

I love the ship Jaws runs. He’s a great coach.
Bonsu is a hell of a player.

Lyons also had a great game for BR. That catch he made on 3rd and a mile in OT was special. Didn’t love a lot of BR’s play calling and timeout management but Q ended up making the right decisions. Easily could’ve gone the other way.

No question they missed the call and it should’ve been a live ball (fumble). However BR’s lineman was in perfect position to recover it until he pulled up after hearing the whistle blowing the play dead.

I love the ship Jaws runs. He’s a great coach.
Bonsu is a hell of a player.

Lyons also had a great game for BR. That catch he made on 3rd and a mile in OT was special. Didn’t love a lot of BR’s play calling and timeout management but Q ended up making the right decisions. Easily could’ve gone the other way.

Insane. But why is 20 chasing him from the 15 yard line on with no pump fake or shoulder shimmy from the QB? Were they playing tight or press on 3rd and 25 with no first down sticks to worry about?

Reactions: pjjp
Insane. But why is 20 chasing him from the 15 yard line on with no pump fake or shoulder shimmy from the QB? Were they playing tight or press on 3rd and 25 with no first down sticks to worry about?
I rewatched the play on JCA’s feed before they took it down. You could see it better and it looked like a rather soft man coverage with late safety help. Someone correct me if I’m wrong but I don’t think it was very tight man by the corner. Lyons just outran him. Props to Hartz for putting the ball where only his guy could get it. Those kids on both sides had to be absolutely beat at the end of that game. The linemen clearly were. Again, just an outstanding football game. JCA has a great team.

Reactions: RockSoup
I rewatched the play on JCA’s feed before they took it down. You could see it better and it looked like a rather soft man coverage with late safety help. Someone correct me if I’m wrong but I don’t think it was very tight man by the corner. Lyons just outran him. Props to Hartz for putting the ball where only his guy could get it. Those kids on both sides had to be absolutely beat at the end of that game. The linemen clearly were. Again, just an outstanding football game. JCA has a great team.
Thank you, great angle to see insane catch, bad camera angle to comment on the called defense. Great game.

And that was the play call all along, too. Watched WCIU recording and there was no audible/sideline check after seeing how the D lined up. Hartz was quoted in the Sun-Times as essentially saying just throw it to your best player in that situation and see what happens.

And that was the play call all along, too. Watched WCIU recording and there was no audible/sideline check after seeing how the D lined up. Hartz was quoted in the Sun-Times as essentially saying just throw it to your best player in that situation and see what happens.
Makes sense. Definitely felt like his progression on that play was Lyons followed by Lyons... if his quote was indeed the case, he might’ve seen the safety presnap and felt better about the play call.

Reactions: 3OrangeWhips
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT