ADVERTISEMENT

Biggest Q's heading into 2017 for the Mid Suburban West

EdgyTim

Staff
May 29, 2001
Channahon Illinois
This story originally appeared on the EDGY Nation forum.

Click for details on how to join the EDGY Nation today. Your home for everything Illinois Prep Football since 1995.

Lots of questions for sure as we get closer to Kickoff 2017 for the Mid Suburban Weste. Below are some of my top questions for the Mid Suburban West entering the 2017 season. Agree? Disagree? Did I miss some? Post them here.

Will the sudden new head coaching change at Palatine have any major impact on the Pirates this fall?

Can Barrington reload?

Is Hoffman Estate really, really for real in 2017?

Will an old new coach make an impact at Fremd?

Will an old/new coach at Conant turn the Cougars fate around in 2017?

Can Schaumburg get over the 4-5/5-4 hump in 2017?

Reactions: Bonesbahena
My $0.02...

Coaching change hopefully shouldn't have a great impact on Palatine. Corey Olsen as head coach, Tyler Donnelly(who was head coach before Splitt and really got the program back on it's feet) as OC; and Sergio Lund, who played under Petricca and coached under both Donnelly and Splitt as DC. You'd assume they wouldn't change too much or the way they do things at Palatine. They should score a lot of points again this year, and even though they lost a lot defensively they also return about a half dozen key guys on that side of the ball. Senior class was very successful at the lower levels. My biggest concern is that Splitt doubled as DC and his defenses were always really good at making adjustments and knowing how to neutralize their opponent's strengths. Lund will need to prove he can do the same.

Barrington will be strong as usual. This fall's seniors were also highly successful as underclassman, and they just have the right culture. They always seem to be loaded even when you're not sure if they will be. They train/practice right, play the game right, and expect to be successful. I also think Niro is going to have a monster senior year.

Hoffman Estates should be really good this year. Wildcard there again is a new HC, but he coached under Donatucci and should know what he has in house and how to use their talents properly. I think they need to know they're good yet. I think they think they're good, but there's a different confidence level that comes with knowing you're good. Since they just turned the corner last year, not sure they have that mental attitude yet.

My pro-Palatine is gonna show thru here, but I honestly see Fremd being a 4-5 kinda team this year. In the past they've had great success as underclassmen and then turned into 5-4 / 6-3 teams on the varsity level this decade...but this year's juniors and seniors were not wildly successful as underclassmen, so if they stay true to form they shouldn't be that strong.

I don't think Schaumburg gets out of the 5-4/ 4-5 rut, they don't seem to play defense much anymore. At the lower levels they've been competitive, but still came out in the middle range.

Despite the old LZ coach, I think Conant is down again this year...they just don't have the horses and their senior class got beat up alot as underclassmen.

Last edited:
My $0.02...

Coaching change hopefully shouldn't have a great impact on Palatine. Corey Olsen as head coach, Tyler Donnelly(who was head coach before Splitt and really got the program back on it's feet) as OC; and Sergio Lund, who played under Petricca and coached under both Donnelly and Splitt as DC. You'd assume they wouldn't change too much or the way they do things at Palatine. They should score a lot of points again this year, and even though they lost a lot defensively they also return about a half dozen key guys on that side of the ball. Senior class was very successful at the lower levels. My biggest concern is that Splitt doubled as DC and his defenses were always really good at making adjustments and knowing how to neutralize their opponent's strengths. Lund will need to prove he can do the same.

Barrington will be strong as usual. This fall's seniors were also highly successful as underclassman, and they just have the right culture. They always seem to be loaded even when you're not sure if they will be. They train/practice right, play the game right, and expect to be successful. I also think Niro is going to have a monster senior year.

Hoffman Estates should be really good this year. Wildcard there again is a new HC, but he coached under Donatucci and should know what he has in house and how to use their talents properly. I think they need to know they're good yet. I think they think they're good, but there's a different confidence level that comes with knowing you're good. Since they just turned the corner last year, not sure they have that mental attitude yet.

My pro-Palatine is gonna show thru here, but I honestly see Fremd being a 4-5 kinda team this year. In the past they've had great success as underclassmen and then turned into 5-4 / 6-3 teams on the varsity level this decade...but this year's juniors and seniors were not wildly successful as underclassmen, so if they stay true to form they shouldn't be that strong.

I don't think Schaumburg gets out of the 5-4/ 4-5 rut, they don't seem to play defense much anymore. At the lower levels they've been competitive, but still came out in the middle range.

Despite the old LZ coach, I think Conant is down again this year...they just don't have the horses and their senior class got beat up alot as underclassmen.
Any idea of the rest of the coaching staff? Glad to see Lund getting back in the swing of things.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT