ADVERTISEMENT

Big 2018 Pre Season Prep Bowl News

The only thing bigger than that would have to be Fenwick v Naz

The idea of Fenwick vs Nazareth has me all coached up and ready to run through a brick wall.

The idea of Fenwick vs Nazareth has me all coached up and ready to run through a brick wall.
I'm not sure why everyone is assuming Naz is involved. I'm not even sure if they're allowed in it due to membership to ESCC and location outside the city.

I'm not sure why everyone is assuming Naz is involved. I'm not even sure if they're allowed in it due to membership to ESCC and location outside the city.

JCA has played in it before.

I don't like Marist/Rice there and think of Naz/Fenwick the same way. The proximity of one another should keep them locale.

I also think Toyota Park is 1,000x better than Soldier Field but that is a topic for another thread. Naz/Fenwick---Marist/Rice at Toyota would be a huge draw I think.

One of the issues I have with Soldier Field is that 16/17 year old kids driving there seems a bit dicey on a Friday afternoon.

Move it back to Toyota Park, $5 parking, smaller stadium looks full, closer to a high school type environment. Better matchups needed.MC vs average CPS squad = more blowouts. Simeon v Rita and Phillips v MC should be 2nd/3rd primetime games. Opening game you call it involving (Hope Academy, Kenwood, Lane, Ignatius, Fenwick) Spice this thing up!!!! Chicago vs IL maybe (bring Metro East teams up ==> ESTL v Phillips, Simeon v Edwardsville, Belleville Althoff v Rita/MC something!!! Figure out best teams for '18 then make it happen. Taft v MC isn't getting many to stadium

Toyota is a great place to see a game. Saw MC v Fenwick there in '09 and MC vs Philly Joe's in '14.

Still think an ESCC vs. CCL would be fun, but logistically a headache.

Have always hoped for this opening weekend at Toyota Park. Top 5 teams from both conferences, two games Friday and three on Saturday. By logistical headache do you mean getting the teams to actually sign on to do it?

I think Toyota is a great venue as well. De La Salle beat Fenwick there in 2008, IIRC. And I'd love to see the DLS kids get another opportunity to play at Soldier Field and/or Toyota.

Have always hoped for this opening weekend at Toyota Park. Top 5 teams from both conferences, two games Friday and three on Saturday. By logistical headache do you mean getting the teams to actually sign on to do it?

I think a logistical headache because (a) getting the teams to actually sign up for it and (b) making sure that none of the top 5 teams have prior commitments. This year's ESCC-CCL challenge would look something like this (based on last year's standings):

Loyola vs Marist

Brother Rice vs Benet

St. Rita vs ND

Fenwick vs Viator

Montini vs CoM

Looks like fun to me.

Reactions: ignazio
I was just referring to Rock Soup's post

JCA has played in it before.

I don't like Marist/Rice there and think of Naz/Fenwick the same way. The proximity of one another should keep them locale.

I also think Toyota Park is 1,000x better than Soldier Field but that is a topic for another thread. Naz/Fenwick---Marist/Rice at Toyota would be a huge draw I think.

One of the issues I have with Soldier Field is that 16/17 year old kids driving there seems a bit dicey on a Friday afternoon.
You know where Soldier Field is? Dicey?

More for traffic on a summer Friday afternoon. He did mention Joliet Catholic...maybe he remembers the bad accident that happened just south of Soldier Field before the 1985 Springsteen concert (7 teens, young adults from the west side of Joliet tried to make an I'll advised left turn when a bus failed to stop and crushed their car).

More for traffic on a summer Friday afternoon. He did mention Joliet Catholic...maybe he remembers the bad accident that happened just south of Soldier Field before the 1985 Springsteen concert (7 teens, young adults from the west side of Joliet tried to make an I'll advised left turn when a bus failed to stop and crushed their car).

August 9, 1985.

If only Toyota Park had turf it would be the perfect high school stadium.

Well as it turns out the exciting news I was hoping to be able to post here was not agreed to.

Fenwick will not be playing at Soldier Field, they will instead be playing Raby week one.

There was a matchup that was being pitched to Fenwick by the Soldier Field committee that my source was all for, turns out he was outranked and the game was declined.

Well as it turns out the exciting news I was hoping to be able to post here was not agreed to.

Fenwick will not be playing at Soldier Field, they will instead be playing Raby week one.

There was a matchup that was being pitched to Fenwick by the Soldier Field committee that my source was all for, turns out he was outranked and the game was declined.

Fenwick did not actually decline, but allegedly never even returned any calls or emails. Why play at Soldier Field and perhaps develop an annual rivalry game when you can schedule a public league power at Triton?

Reactions: mc140
Fenwick did not actually decline, but allegedly never even returned any calls or emails. Why play at Soldier Field and perhaps develop an annual rivalry game when you can schedule a public league power at Triton?
I was told they declined but you and I are on the same page. I’m pretty disappointed and not sure I understand the logic, there are more than a few people at Fenwick that feel the same way too.

I was told they declined but you and I are on the same page. I’m pretty disappointed and not sure I understand the logic, there are more than a few people at Fenwick that feel the same way too.

Well the obvious concern is getting to 5/6 wins for playoffs... the less obvious concern is that there are a LARGE number of students at Fenwick hailing from the Western Springs, Hinsdale, and La Grange areas who either figuratively or literally drive by the school that I assume you are indicating would be the opponent everyday on the way to Fenwick and they do not want to give this school an opportunity or a platform to look good or in any way better than Fenwick for fear of losing potential students. While there may be other reasons beyond football (real or perceived) that some select Fenwick, they probably figure why risk elevating the opponent when it's not necessary.

Someone here posted the Althoff and Elmhurst IC are scheduled for Week 1. This could be a possible opener for the day, followed by the bigger schools.

No Lockport-Provi is opener. Naz-Fenwick was supposed to be game 2 with MC and someone else game 3.

No idea what their plan is now.

Well the obvious concern is getting to 5/6 wins for playoffs... the less obvious concern is that there are a LARGE number of students at Fenwick hailing from the Western Springs, Hinsdale, and La Grange areas who either figuratively or literally drive by the school that I assume you are indicating would be the opponent everyday on the way to Fenwick and they do not want to give this school an opportunity or a platform to look good or in any way better than Fenwick for fear of losing potential students. While there may be other reasons beyond football (real or perceived) that some select Fenwick, they probably figure why risk elevating the opponent when it's not necessary.
I’ve got news for you... I’m a Fenwick guy and Naz is the much better program right now. If Naz wins they are supposed to...

I’ve got news for you... I’m a Fenwick guy and Naz is the much better program right now. If Naz wins they are supposed to...

You were the one who said you didn't "understand the logic." These are the two logical reasons (playoff wins and perception).

Why do you think Montini/Naz never happened? Perception/Competition for the same student-athletes. Playoff qualification was never really a concern for Montini back when everyone was hot for the match-up (it may be a factor take into consideration at this time).

I think most of the years of the "Nudo era" could have went either way with the exception of 2015. Fenwick has some youth at key positions this year but by next year (when we are discussing) there will be more experience including the QB who will then be an experienced junior.

You were the one who said you didn't "understand the logic." These are the two logical reasons (playoff wins and perception).

Why do you think Montini/Naz never happened? Perception/Competition for the same student-athletes. Playoff qualification was never really a concern for Montini back when everyone was hot for the match-up (it may be a factor take into consideration at this time).

I think most of the years of the "Nudo era" could have went either way with the exception of 2015. Fenwick has some youth at key positions this year but by next year (when we are discussing) there will be more experience including the QB who will then be an experienced junior.

That’s a phrase, I understand your reasons, thanks for explaining them though. Fenwick isn’t/shouldn’t be concerned with losing football players from Nazareth’s surrounding area. Football isn’t really what brings them to Fenwick. I know this because I am one of them. I won’t get into the reasoning now but it wouldn’t be affected because Fenwick won or lost a football game vs Nazareth. That is true for everyone I know from the area commuting to Fenwick.

I guess I should have stated I don’t agree with the logic because I understand it just fine. I didn’t want to call out certain people at Fenwick or bad mouth this decision, hence me stating I don’t “understand the logic” and not getting into it. What it boils down to is Fenwick is afraid to compete, nervous they wouldn’t make the playoffs with Nazareth in addition to the green schedule. I guess I just don’t appreciate the mentality. I think Fenwick will be fine in the future and playing teams like Nazareth in venues like Soldier Field will only help to strengthen the program but what the heck do I know?

Moral of the story we are cheated out of a game and rivalry that could be great.

Reactions: Gene K.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT