ADVERTISEMENT

Best Teams in 2017 by Positional Groups: Secondary

epicbret

Jan 27, 2005
Let's keep the talk going gents. It's the off-season, time to run our mouths...

What better that a look at which teams boast the best positional groups entering 2017? Offensive backfield, receiving corps, OL, DL, Linebackers (second level defenders), and Secondary.

Because Glenbard North's secondary inspired this, let's start with secondary.

First three that popped in my head are Glenbard North, who has at least a trio of kids that are excellent HS DBs, notably Henderson and Newsome; Bolingbrook, @Cross Bones ahem, YOU CANNOT HIDE THESE KIDS; and potentially my own beloved Nazareth if the youngsters take the next step.

I seem to remember ESL having some very talented young guys, but would like to confirm they are not graduated.

I feel like the MS secondary will be strong next year. Cam Stacy is one of our returning starters and will play FS. A few juniors got some valuable playing time and should step in nicely.

What better that a look at which teams boast the best positional groups entering 2017? Offensive backfield, receiving corps, OL, DL, Linebackers (second level defenders), and Secondary.

First three that popped in my head are Glenbard North, who has at least a trio of kids that are excellent HS DBs, notably Henderson and Newsome; Bolingbrook, @Cross Bones ahem, YOU CANNOT HIDE THESE KIDS; and potentially my own beloved Nazareth if the youngsters take the next step.

I seem to remember ESL having some very talented young guys, but would like to confirm they are not graduated.
I'd like to see how the skill groups shake out in LGP. There's limitless potential there. Could very well see a no fly zone.

Glenbard North obviously, although I was a little surprised teams moved the ball through the air as much as they did at times last year. It's the best collection of talent that's for sure. Obviously pass rush has to be factored in to an extent if we're looking at results but I won't get into that here.

Bolingbrook has some elite talent over there too, what's going on with the coaching rumors? That may affect play a bit.

H-F is pretty stacked in the back 7 as well.

Admittedly I don't know much about ESL being that they're so far out of the area but they sure did look good the two games I saw.

Naz's D was actually very good last year, probably state title good but their offense killed them and made the defensive performances look average. I expect Naz to be even better on defense in '17.

Simeon has some elite talent back there.

Dekalb is very underrated when it comes to talent. Losing Kyler and their WR (totally spacing on the name) will hurt but there is a lot of little known talent there that will emerge this season.

Last edited:
Glenbard North obviously, although I was a little surprised teams moved the ball through the air as much as they did at times last year..

I was thinking the exact same thing!

I was thinking the exact same thing!

1 Part of it was Lack of pass rush by GBN in my opinion. I watched several games.

2 another part was A couple of the DBs sometimes under estimated the non recruited WRs that had good speed and/or coverage miscommunication/breakdown.

We're a basketball school now. No one to hide...sadly
Can you tell me about your coaching situation? I'm hearing all sorts of rumors? Who is not coming back? What's the deal with Ivlow, I hear new coach has been named, when will that take place?

Can you tell me about your coaching situation? I'm hearing all sorts of rumors? Who is not coming back? What's the deal with Ivlow, I hear new coach has been named, when will that take place?
I couldnt get the info if I posted it on edgytim. But I'd expect to see Ivlow in '17.

LOL this is a topic Epic's and Bone's knowledge far out do mine. I second everything they write.

I couldnt get the info if I posted it on edgytim. But I'd expect to see Ivlow in '17.
There has been a replacement named, or are multiple people pulling my leg?

There will also be a noticeable offensive minded absence on the sidelines next year correct?

There has been a replacement named, or are multiple people pulling my leg?

There will also be a noticeable offensive minded absence on the sidelines next year correct?
All paid coaching positions, I believe, are open at the end of each season. It is likely that if Ivlow were to leave that the replacement is on the staff/in the building, but as far as I know nothing is set in stone. If your sources have proven to be credible in the past then you'd have no reason to doubt them. However, Ivlow was only on the staff one year before taking over. So who knows...

Doug for head coach…

Bones,

I see what you did there you crafty young man, but he will have been there when everything goes in 2018 what 2 or maybe 3 years.

Getting back to those cryptic messages of the transfer posts from years ago re "his commute will remain the same in time but Double in distance while he drives away from the sun in both directions."

All paid coaching positions, I believe, are open at the end of each season. It is likely that if Ivlow were to leave that the replacement is on the staff/in the building, but as far as I know nothing is set in stone. If your sources have proven to be credible in the past then you'd have no reason to doubt them. However, Ivlow was only on the staff one year before taking over. So who knows...

The Naz Secondary could be special if those young boys grow up. They are super talented and 6 or 7 of them play for Boom 7 on 7 top teams. Naz defense will be better than last year! Can the offense show better than last year?

The Naz Secondary could be special if those young boys grow up. They are super talented and 6 or 7 of them play for Boom 7 on 7 top teams. Naz defense will be better than last year! Can the offense show better than last year?
cmon bro, LOL

You don't think so? Maybe I am a little biased. Lol
Knowing what Naz has back and how talented those young guys are I expect their offense to be back to 2014/2015 levels. Not to throw anyone under the bus but when you're as young as they were last year with the type of QB play they got for most of the year you're not going to have much success.

Reactions: jtrailblazer7
Knowing what Naz has back and how talented those young guys are I expect their offense to be back to 2014/2015 levels. Not to throw anyone under the bus but when you're as young as they were last year with the type of QB play they got for most of the year you're not going to have much success.
I truly hope so. Those young kids are very talented but they have to be coached up.

I truly hope so. Those young kids are very talented but they have to be coached up.
You've got a coaching staff that most schools would die to have, don't undersell them. I like Gino Nudo quite a bit and see no reason to trade him but the Naz staff is the best in the area, by far imo.

You've got a coaching staff that most schools would die to have, don't undersell them. I like Gino Nudo quite a bit and see no reason to trade him but the Naz staff is the best in the area, by far imo.
I think you have me confused with someone else. I love our coaches. But sometimes certain kids are hard to get through to when they feel like they are more talented than the team. It takes some serious coaching to overcome that. That's all I am saying!

I think you have me confused with someone else. I love our coaches. But sometimes certain kids are hard to get through to when they feel like they are more talented than the team. It takes some serious coaching to overcome that. That's all I am saying!
Oh my mistake I thought you were saying something else. Yeah no doubt about that, it's the culture we are a part of now. With all the AAU, traveling bball and 7on7's these kids are used to being stroked and told they're the man, when they all of a sudden need to work or get placed with other talented kids they don't know how to handle it. I think you had a former dad there (one who had an epic meltdown on this board) that was exhibit A.

Reactions: Schwab54
Kids can only be coached if they allow themselves to be coached. All I am saying is that sometimes when you are super successful in middle school, you have a hard time buying in to a culture. The kids have to buy in and come together as one unit to be successful.

Oh my mistake I thought you were saying something else. Yeah no doubt about that, it's the culture we are a part of now. With all the AAU, traveling bball and 7on7's these kids are used to being stroked and told they're the man, when they all of a sudden need to work or get placed with other talented kids they don't know how to handle it. I think you had a former dad there (one who had an epic meltdown on this board) that was exhibit A.
i remember the meltdown! Lol! No that's not me. My older sons success is truly hugely because of how he was handled at Naz. I am far from that dad!

i remember the meltdown! Lol! No that's not me. My older sons success is truly hugely because of how he was handled at Naz. I am far from that dad!
Oh I know, it's pretty obvious by your name who you are. That what an interesting day to say the least. Sadly those parents exist and those egos come into play with the kids, hopefully Naz doesn't have any issues with that this year, could be a special group if they stick together! My youngest will be off to college next year, I'll be back at many Naz games.

Oh I know, it's pretty obvious by your name who you are. That what an interesting day to say the least. Sadly those parents exist and those egos come into play with the kids, hopefully Naz doesn't have any issues with that this year, could be a special group if they stick together! My youngest will be off to college next year, I'll be back at many Naz games.

Wow, thread derailed.

Marist has a bunch back in the defensive backfield, no?

Glenbard North has 4 (FOUR!!) DB's listed in the top DB players in the state for the position by Big Pete/Deep Dish Football. What the heck - a couple graduate and couple guys step right in to fill out the back 4 it seems? Will be happy to see GBN move over to the Dukane and put their no fly zone to work in that conference!!

Glenbard North has 4 (FOUR!!) DB's listed in the top DB players in the state for the position by Big Pete/Deep Dish Football. What the heck - a couple graduate and couple guys step right in to fill out the back 4 it seems? Will be happy to see GBN move over to the Dukane and put their no fly zone to work in that conference!!
oh, the guy who rips off Edgy?

Reactions: dtlove3434
oh, the guy who rips off Edgy?

I think it's two separate groups? Big Pete does his own thing - but also publishes for Deep Dish Football? Isn't Deep Dish a bunch of retired coaches who watch a lot of games and film?

Anyway - yes the list I saw was Big Pete and not from Deep Dish - so I guess take it for what its worth... One guys opinion.

But getting back to Best Secondaries - I would put GBN's up there with any in the state. do you disagree? who do you think has a better collective back 4?

I think it's two separate groups? Big Pete does his own thing - but also publishes for Deep Dish Football? Isn't Deep Dish a bunch of retired coaches who watch a lot of games and film?

Anyway - yes the list I saw was Big Pete and not from Deep Dish - so I guess take it for what its worth... One guys opinion.

But getting back to Best Secondaries - I would put GBN's up there with any in the state. do you disagree? who do you think has a better collective back 4?

Big Pete IS Deep Dish Football. There is no bunch of coaches it's one guy trying to make a name for himself. Kudos to him for taking the initiative etc but he's not very good.

Big Pete IS Deep Dish Football. There is no bunch of coaches it's one guy trying to make a name for himself. Kudos to him for taking the initiative etc but he's not very good.

You guys are the seasoned Vets!! it took me a couple years to stumble upon Edgy's site via watching a game on CSN web page and now when I stumble upon Big Pete and Deep Dish - it's old hat to you guys!

I guess my problem is:
1. I don't have a Twitter account
2. I don't have a facebook accout
I do have a LinkedIn account - but that doesn't help for football stuff.

You guys are the seasoned Vets!! it took me a couple years to stumble upon Edgy's site via watching a game on CSN web page and now when I stumble upon Big Pete and Deep Dish - it's old hat to you guys!

I guess my problem is:
1. I don't have a Twitter account
2. I don't have a facebook accout
I do have a LinkedIn account - but that doesn't help for football stuff.
In this case you're not missing anything at all. All Deep Dish and Big Pete do is retweet hudls etc. The rankings should be taken with a huge grain of salt as he's never seen many of the kids he's ranking. Now he's doing Wisconsin, Michigan and Indiana lol based off what?! It's a big joke in the football community.

Even for old guys like us I recommend twitter for the simple fact it's the best way to get scores on Fridays.

Reactions: Voodoo Tatum 21
I know the Deep Dish football will take a beating on this board and some of the rankings are pretty suspect but I'll give the guy credit for promoting high school football, he obviously has a passion for it.

I look at his twitter feed from time to time he has some pretty good re-tweets on there.

Reactions: Voodoo Tatum 21
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT