ADVERTISEMENT

Best program that has not won state yet?

GoGBN2013

Oct 21, 2013
Ok, now that we have our 2021 state champs crowned, how about some thoughts for the "Bridesmaid Award"? Being a Glenbard North fan, I would like to nominate the Panthers. In the last 5 years (no playoffs last year of course) they gave East St Louis their closest game in the 2016 playoffs (if you haven't seen the "89 Blocks" doc yet I would recommend) and this year they gave Lockport their closest game in this year's playoffs. GN has been to State 4 times and has yet to bring home the big trophy to Carol Stream. Who else out there is yet to be the bride?

It's a group of tough kids, year in and out. Hard-pressed to beat them up on the field.

Reactions: GoGBN2013
I found a list of Best 20 programs for the last decade and Lake Zurich and Homewood-Flossmoor had no championships since 2010 but see HF won in 1994 and LZ won in 2007.

Benet, Willowbrook, Lemont
Good list, Benet has been to the semi's 3 times recently but only one state try in 1984. WB has been good but never been to state. Lemont's been 3 times to state and lost so they are close to GN. (all this from Wiki so could be some errors)

Reactions: WBWarriorWatcher
I stand corrected on my original post, GN has been to 5 state games, lost them all. This is worse than I thought.

1982-1983, 1991–92; 2000–01; 2007–08; 2012—13

Reactions: Gene K.
Marist came to mind first, but has Lake Zurich won a title? I know they have been to the title game a few times.

Easy question...Tolono Unity and SJO, great rivals about 20 minutes apart, but a combined 0-11 in title games..
Wow, TU's losses are much more recent than GBN's! The Rockets' program now is winless in six title game appearances: 2021, '15, '12, '09, '05 and '00.

Just throwing out St. Charles North to the conversation. Maybe not as lengthy of a history as GBN and others though. In the mix year after year though. Great year resulted in runner up a few years ago though.

Just throwing out St. Charles North to the conversation. Maybe not as lengthy of a history as GBN and others though. In the mix year after year though. Great year resulted in runner up a few years ago though.
No. STN has only been around 20 years and they only have 1 10 win season.
Prior to the split, St. Charles was amazing in the 90s but with the playoffs done by region they would run into one of the top teams in the state in the first or second round.

Reactions: all4theillini
Glenbard North gets my vote for the large school category. Not sure why they and Wheaton North decided they couldn't compete in the DVC and leave.
That's a good point, I'm not really sure but think it was more of an enrollment thing, not competition or geography. DuKane ranges from 1859-2511 and DVC for 2021 was 1807-3522. This is another topic I guess but not really sure of all the backroom maneuvering on this issue. It would have been a helluva conference though and Dekalb could've stayed wherever they were.

Reactions: NapervilleBuck
That's a good point, I'm not really sure but think it was more of an enrollment thing, not competition or geography. DuKane ranges from 1859-2511 and DVC for 2021 was 1807-3522. This is another topic I guess but not really sure of all the backroom maneuvering on this issue. It would have been a helluva conference though and Dekalb could've stayed wherever they were
The addition of the Valleys was seen as a reason to bolt. The size may have mattered but those that bolted felt more inline with Batavia, Geneva, and the Chucks. My argument has always been that this would have a been a stellar conference (albeit closed, which no one wants if we are being truthful):

NN
NC
NV
WV
MV
WWS
WN
Batavia
GBN

Ok, now that we have our 2021 state champs crowned, how about some thoughts for the "Bridesmaid Award"? Being a Glenbard North fan, I would like to nominate the Panthers. In the last 5 years (no playoffs last year of course) they gave East St Louis their closest game in the 2016 playoffs (if you haven't seen the "89 Blocks" doc yet I would recommend) and this year they gave Lockport their closest game in this year's playoffs. GN has been to State 4 times and has yet to bring home the big trophy to Carol Stream. Who else out there is yet to be the bride?

Tough kids at this school. They play an old school brand of football. Do they still have a gigantic fullback. Every time I saw them they had a big unathletic looking kid destroying linebackers for their tailbacks.

I don’t know how long they’re going to keep this up though. Big demographics changes.

Agree with all three. WB’s run over the last 5 years that playoffs were held has them going down to the eventual state champ in the quarters or semis (2019).
That’s the last 5-7 years though. I’d like to see the same over 10-20 years. Great program right now but I’ll wait to see more success first. Benet not so much. Too many down years.

Glenbard North gets my vote for the large school category. Not sure why they and Wheaton North decided they couldn't compete in the DVC and leave.
WN, WWS, GBN & LP left the DVC not because of football they were more successful (11 1st & 9 2nd combined) then the Naperville schools historically. The issue that caused the split was all the other sports and what the enrollment discrepancies caused. Fielding 5 or 6 levels of golf, tennis, etc.. was not a possibility for the now DuKane schools.

Reactions: GoGBN2013
Agree with all three. WB’s run over the last 5 years that playoffs were held has them going down to the eventual state champ in the quarters or semis (2019).
2016 GN and WB were in the same bracket, GN traveled to ESL and lost on a TD pass with 3 seconds left, it was a brutal, lost 32-28. WB lost the next week to ESL 60-27. Will be rooting for WB if/when they get to State just as long as you're not playing GBN.
Interestingly the next week ESL beat Benet, 20-0!

That’s the last 5-7 years though. I’d like to see the same over 10-20 years. Great program right now but I’ll wait to see more success first. Benet not so much. Too many down years.
Current head coach has had the school in the playoffs 8 of the last 10 years, with one of the years missed being playoff eligible and missing the field by 1 playoff point. Again, 4 quarters and 1 semis in the last 5 and being knocked out by the eventual champ is pretty damn good. Good programs build, and this is evidence of steady growth and proving it with multiple classes of kids. To me, this is enough.

2022 will be another great year for WB football.

2016 GN and WB were in the same bracket, GN traveled to ESL and lost on a TD pass with 3 seconds left, it was a brutal, lost 32-28. WB lost the next week to ESL 60-27. Will be rooting for WB if/when they get to State just as long as you're not playing GBN.
Interestingly the next week ESL beat Benet, 20-0!
And the same for me!!

I have to go with Sterling of course, they have been to the semis twice in the last 5 years or so, Chicago Philips knocked them out one year and Saint Rita the other. I’ve said for a long time if Sterling were ever in the southern bracket they would have made it to the state game because many years the North bracket I feel has 3-5 teams that would beat the south bracket runner ups, I don’t know if they will ever beat the CCL teams and the one year they did it was a CPL team that knocked them out! Lol

I have to go with Sterling of course, they have been to the semis twice in the last 5 years or so, Chicago Philips knocked them out one year and Saint Rita the other. I’ve said for a long time if Sterling were ever in the southern bracket they would have made it to the state game because many years the North bracket I feel has 3-5 teams that would beat the south bracket runner ups, I don’t know if they will ever beat the CCL teams and the one year they did it was a CPL team that knocked them out! Lol
Don't worry now that all "north" teams won this year the IHSA will have to find a way to make it more equitable and next year probably make it East/West

• Haha
Current head coach has had the school in the playoffs 8 of the last 10 years, with one of the years missed being playoff eligible and missing the field by 1 playoff point. Again, 4 quarters and 1 semis in the last 5 and being knocked out by the eventual champ is pretty damn good. Good programs build, and this is evidence of steady growth and proving it with multiple classes of kids. To me, this is enough.

2022 will be another great year for WB football.
How many starters coming back for 2022?

Reactions: RD_Watcher
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT