ADVERTISEMENT

Best Illinois High School Players to play for Nebraska

BornNRazed

Gold Member
Aug 22, 2018
With all the anti Nebraska and MC chatter I thought I’d create a thread about great state players that went on to Neb. I’ll start, Nate Turner Mount Carmel.

Jay Dervin, left guard for Nebraska 62, 63 and 64,

He was also a key player for the 1960 Mt Carmel City Championship team, who beat Taft 27 - 8.

Reactions: Gene K.
Someone compared carmel people to Nebraska's as living off past glory on the insufferable thread.
So with that theme, Mike Murray and Mark Antonetti both Carmel to Nebraska mid 80s.
Ahhhhhh.

In the last 35 years I’ve been watching Nebraska it’s been Jordan Westerkamp hands down, Carlos Polk second - Joe Ganz 3rd

Mike FInnin . He was from COD not sure that counts .

Mikale Wilbon - De La Salle. Saw the field at running back for the Huskers. Even better, earned his degree from Nebraska and is now pursuing his Master's Degree.

Jimmy Stiebel went there (Althoff 1992) transferred to KSTATE, and was a captain ...but that does not count.

Luther Harden (Althoff 1991) graduated from there and earned two national titles as a back up.

BIO
Honors & Awards
  • Member of Two Nebraska National Championship Teams (1994, 1995)
  • University of Nebraska Graduate (December, 1995)
Career

Luther Hardin was a four-year backup at outside linebacker, playing behind Jared Tomich in 1994 and 1995. He played in 23 games and recorded 24 tackles, including one sack. He scored on a three-yard interception return against Kansas State in 1995.

1995 (Senior)

One of four outside linebackers who rotated all season, Hardin played every game as All-American Jared Tomich's backup on the left side. Hardin had nine tackles, including one eight yard sack against Missouri. He also had three quarterback hurries and one interception--a shovel pass tipped by fellow OLB Chad Kelsay, which Hardin grabbed and ran into the end zone three yards for a TD against top ten Kansas State. Hardin's best tackle day was three against Iowa State. He had a career-best four last season against Texas Tech.

1994 (Junior)

Hardin played in six games in 1994 as a backup outside linebacker to senior Dwayne Harris and sophomore Jared Tomich on the left side. He recorded nine tackles (four solo) and had two quarterback hurries. He recorded a career-best four tackles (three solo) against Texas Tech.

1993 (Sophomore)

Hardin lettered as he played in four games as a backup outside linebacker. He had three assisted tackles, two were against North Texas including one for a one-yard loss. He suited up for the Orange Bowl but did not play. Hardin received a UNL student-athlete recognition award and was named to the Honorable-Mention Grades & Glory Academic team.

1992 (Freshman)

As a redshirt freshman, Hardin played in two games and recorded three tackles, two were solos, one was for a three-yard loss, and one caused a fumble. All were against Middle Tennessee State.

1991 (Redshirt)

A scholarship athlete, Hardin redshirted his first year.

Before Nebraska (Althoff Catholic High School)

Hardin was a two-way starter as an offensive and defensive tackle for Coach Glenn Schott at Althoff High School in suburban St. Louis. He led the team to the state championships in 1990 and 1991 and finished his senior year with 105 tackles including 60 solo stops, five fumble recoveries and 15 quarterback sacks. He earned all-state honors. He lettered four times in football, once in basketball, twice in track and once in wrestling.

Personal

The son of Delores Hardin, Luther was born on Nov. 16, 1973. He majored in business administration and earned his bachelor’s degree from Nebraska in December of 1995. Despite the fact that Hardin was in Miami to play in the national championship game, he took time off after practice to speak to kids in the Dade County housing projects about staying in school and developing good role models.

Arguably the greatest. Bob Pickens. The Nebraska HOF played for the Bears as well. Before that, the Evanston High kid wrestled for the University of Wisconsin and became the first African American greco-roman wrestler in the Olympics. I forgot all about Bob. This thread is much more entertaining and informative than i thought it would be.

Reactions: crusader_of_90
Joel Gesky, Nebraska lineman on 91-92-93 Big 8 Champs, went to some big suburban school...his son Jeremy was just Honorable Mention All-State for Manteno.

Ed Stewart (MC LB) Butkus Award Finalist. Mike Murray ( MC ) (Walk on) eventual starter- one of the strongest Husker ever...

Someone compared carmel people to Nebraska's as living off past glory on the insufferable thread.
So with that theme, Mike Murray and Mark Antonetti both Carmel to Nebraska mid 80s.

Antonetti played and wrestled at Mt Carmel.

I posted before the confusion with saying “Carmel/Mount Carmel.” Can be misleading in situations like this yes?

Antonetti played and wrestled at Mt Carmel.

I posted before the confusion with saying “Carmel/Mount Carmel.” Can be misleading in situations like this yes?
Yes I forget it gets confusing outside of the Southside of what school is meant.

Reactions: The Outfit
Out of Leo HS in the early '60s, center Lou Narish, who later went on to lead Tinley Park HS as Head Coach to an IHSA State Championship in football back in the mid '80s.

Reactions: The Outfit
Carlos Polk- Rockford IL

Great call with Polk. As an old school Nic-9 guy he was hands down the most intimidating HS player I’ve seen. Coaching against him he would just crush people - kids didn’t want to get the ball on offense going against him.

Grabbing the specifics of his Wikipedia he had a very successful HS, Nebraska, and professional career.

“He finished as one of the all-time leading tacklers in the state of Illinois high school history, with 453 career tackles, while also tallying 10 fumble recoveries, 7 blocked kicks, 5 interceptions and 30 tackles for loss. He received All-conference (three times), All-state, USA Today All-American and Northern Illinois Conference-9 Defensive Player of Year honors”

“At Nebraska As a senior, he led the team with 90 tackles and also had 13 quarterback hurries (second on the team). He finished his college career with 227 tackles (14th all-time in school history), 32 tackles for loss (9th all-time in school history) and 10 sacks”

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT