ADVERTISEMENT

Best High School Games You’ve Seen

rocketnation

Gold Member
Aug 12, 2017
Just finished the Dergo book on the 2005 Morris-Joliet Catholic game. That led me to think what are the best High School games I’ve seen, either in person or on tv.

My list includes plenty of Rochester games. However, I’ve got a fair number of games which did not involve the Rockets. The only game I didn’t see in person was the 2011 state title game between Montini Catholic and Joliet Catholic.

2010 Regular Season- Rochester 13 SHG 10. This was the first Leonard Bowl, Rochester’s initial season in the CS8. SHG came in with a 59 game conference winning streak. The game was at Memorial Stadium, as SHG did not yet have its own stadium. We got there 90 minutes before kickoff and there was already a huge crowd waiting to get in. This was an exciting but low scoring game. SHG drove to the Rochester 20 or so late but a last second pass was knocked down. Absolute mayhem on the Rochester side when the game ended.

2011 State Title- Montini 70 Joliet Catholic 45. Ty Issac ran for 515 yards and 6 td’s. Jordan Westerkamp had 353 yards receiving and 5 td’s. Montini had 587 yards passing, while Joliet Catholic had 747 yards rushing. The offensive production was at a video game level. I think a couple of fumbles opened it up for Montini in the 2nd half. To this day, I wonder if any other team has ever rushed for this many yards and lost the game.

2014 State Title- Rochester 49 Phillips 28. Phillips had only given up 58 points in 13 games. Rochester had two losses in the regular season and 4 or 5 guys playing who were facing surgery. Phillips had a great story and lots of Chicago media attention. This was the one final I felt Rochester was the clear underdog. Derek pushed all the right buttons and Rochester got a late 2nd Quarter score to lead 25-12 at half. It opened up to 46-12 in the 3rd Quarter before Phillips got two late scores.

The Rochester-Althoff playoff trilogy (2015-2017). Althoff won 46-42 at Althoff in 2015, when Rochester just couldn’t get stops in the 2nd half. Rochester won at Althoff 48-47 in 2016, despite Jaylon Bester scoring 5 td’s and running for about 300 yards. Both games were packed and there was no separation between fans at the old Althoff stadium. It got tense at times. Rochester won at home 41-23 in 2017. Althoff was massive on the line but did not have the passing attack of the previous two seasons.

2013 State Title- SHG 38 Montini 28. Montini had won several consecutive state titles and blew out to a quick 21-7 lead. SHG rallied, scored the next 31 points and had a great defensive effort the last three quarters. Ken Leonard was very fired up throughout, including jawing with some Montini fans at half. This was a very physical game with lots of big hits by both teams.

2013 Regular Season- Rochester 38 SHG 33 on the field, officially a forfeit win for SHG after “ring gate” came out later in the season. Rochester took a quick 21-0 lead and SHG looked vulnerable for once. Of course, they rallied and future NFL receiver Malik Turner had 2 late td’s. Rochester gambled on a long pass late in the 4th Quarter and then was able to run out the clock.

2000 Playoffs- Joliet Catholic 52 SHG 35. Went to this Quarter Final game at Joliet with some SHG friends. SHG had steamrolled everyone that season, but I’d never seen size like Joliet had. They had a 6’7” 280 pound Tight End and a 6’3” 225 pound Running Back who could fly. SHG fought hard but was behind most of the game. The SHG QB took a huge beating as Joliet blitzed him non-stop, but he hung in the whole game.

2003 Regular Season- Jacksonville 28 Southeast 27 (OT). I went to this game at Jacksonville with some Southeast fans. This was a back and forth game that looked like a sure Southeast win when they scored with less than a minute left. They did not, however, play a prevent defense and a Jacksonville receiver got behind them for a last second long TD. In OT, both teams scored. Southeast went for 2 and their pass was knocked down in the end zone. Southeast ended up 4-5 on the season and missed the playoffs.

Most of the JCA/Montini playoff games I have seen have come down to the last possession in the game. Definite nailbiters.

The Leonard teams are always well prepared and fun to watch.

Rochester, Naz and East St Louis are the current day most explosive teams in the playoffs.

Reactions: Gene K.
For me 2000 LW at Maine South. Crushing defeat for the Knights. Awesome game and atmosphere in the frigid flurries. Even though it was a loss, still can't forget that one and the back and forth craziness.

1996 MC/JCA 5A title game. Probably my favorite MC team and arguably the best MC team. Came back after falling just short the year before (and after the tragedy of losing KD the previous season) and finished their business.

2008 MC/SR at Gately. Filer & Flemming both making plays on defense and making the opposing O linemen look like grade schoolers.

2013 MC/SR in the 2nd round of 7A playoffs. MC had a lead and then used a late drive to comeback after SR went ahead. Was a pure power running drive with both Enoch Smith & Steve Richardson in the backfield blocking for Domer

Being a homer here.

LWE over Lockport 14-6 2004/2005 at Lockport. Complete upset handing Lockport it’s only loss that season.

LWE over Main South 2005-2006 8A State Championship double overtime. LWE first State title.

2006-2007 LWE loss to MC. I believe it was one of the hardest hitting high school games I ever witnessed.

That I have witnessed in person, LWE vs LA semi game 2018, and GBW vs LA semi game 2019. Used to go down to Normal for the championship games in the 96-99 time frame, many good teams but can't recall a particularly good game.

October 18, 1998 Providence vs Mt. Carmel at Gately Stadium. The atmosphere was electric and lived up to the hype. Attend it with my Dad, my son, and several very good friends.

Reactions: caravan8
Here is a great video of the 1988 MC/SR game in the semi finals. Not the best MC game I’ve been to but look at the crowd....playing in the mud and The Pit....classic game. Enjoy!
The photographer in the thumbnail frame for this video, who is hustling for his next shot, is catching my attention. For you SouthSide greybeards who remember the old Southtown Economist, is that long-time still photographer Larry Ruehl from way back-in-the-day?

Reactions: McCaravan
Fortunate to be in attendance (albeit 8-10 people deep at times ) at the JCA @ Riverside Brookfield 2001 quarterfinal playoff and the JCA @ Morris Dergo games and to officiate the 2014 Rochester v Phillips State Final and 2018 Brother Rice @ Marist Semifinal.

Last edited:
agreed with forlouann....the 1998 game between PC and MC was the best game.....stands were packed, MC had several late drives.....wife then asks.....who's winning?....our son is in the team!.....oh my....

Montini and Prairie Ridge in the snow bowl. Back and forth action and a nail biter the whole game. The snow slowed down both team's offenses. Montini won the game and finished the season undefeated but Prairie Ridge gave Montini all it could handle. Prairie Ridge was driving to the Montini 5 or 10 yard line and got stopped as time ran out. Samson Evans was the junior QB that day and the next year he led Prairie Ridge to the state title. easily handling Montini during the playoffs. In all honesty, this game was the real title game as the next game against Crete-Monee was no contest for Montini.

Montini and Prairie Ridge in the snow bowl. Back and forth action and a nail biter the whole game. The snow slowed down both team's offenses. Montini won the game and finished the season undefeated but Prairie Ridge gave Montini all it could handle. Prairie Ridge was driving to the Montini 5 or 10 yard line and got stopped as time ran out. Samson Evans was the junior QB that day and the next year he led Prairie Ridge to the state title. easily handling Montini during the playoffs. In all honesty, this game was the real title game as the next game against Crete-Monee was no contest for Montini.
Samson was a sophomore on the PR team. Lead Pr to the next two State Titles.

Reactions: Gene K.
MS @ LA 2010 will always be a favorite. Game ended with LA driving inside 5 yard line. Great atmosphere, crazy plays and a great comeback. Infamous storming the field game. Twice.

It was a great game! And as discussed, I’ve changed my position on storming another team’s field. My previous position was quite douchie. The MS kids were having a ball and I would have done the same thing if I were a student. It’s always a great day to be a Hawk and a Rambler! Can’t wait to these two teams meet again. It’s always epic!

Reactions: Gene K. and MS4EVER
The photographer in the thumbnail frame for this video, who is hustling for his next shot, is catching my attention. For you SouthSide greybeards who remember the old Southtown Economist, is that long-time still photographer Larry Ruehl from way back-in-the-day?
I used to deliver that for a summer when I was 12!

It was a great game! And as discussed, I’ve changed my position on storming another team’s field. My previous position was quite douchie. The MS kids were having a ball and I would have done the same thing if I were a student. It’s always a great day to be a Hawk and a Rambler! Can’t wait to these two teams meet again. It’s always epic!
I loved “Eh”

Just finished the Dergo book on the 2005 Morris-Joliet Catholic game. That led me to think what are the best High School games I’ve seen, either in person or on tv.

My list includes plenty of Rochester games. However, I’ve got a fair number of games which did not involve the Rockets. The only game I didn’t see in person was the 2011 state title game between Montini Catholic and Joliet Catholic.

2010 Regular Season- Rochester 13 SHG 10. This was the first Leonard Bowl, Rochester’s initial season in the CS8. SHG came in with a 59 game conference winning streak. The game was at Memorial Stadium, as SHG did not yet have its own stadium. We got there 90 minutes before kickoff and there was already a huge crowd waiting to get in. This was an exciting but low scoring game. SHG drove to the Rochester 20 or so late but a last second pass was knocked down. Absolute mayhem on the Rochester side when the game ended.

2011 State Title- Montini 70 Joliet Catholic 45. Ty Issac ran for 515 yards and 6 td’s. Jordan Westerkamp had 353 yards receiving and 5 td’s. Montini had 587 yards passing, while Joliet Catholic had 747 yards rushing. The offensive production was at a video game level. I think a couple of fumbles opened it up for Montini in the 2nd half. To this day, I wonder if any other team has ever rushed for this many yards and lost the game.

2014 State Title- Rochester 49 Phillips 28. Phillips had only given up 58 points in 13 games. Rochester had two losses in the regular season and 4 or 5 guys playing who were facing surgery. Phillips had a great story and lots of Chicago media attention. This was the one final I felt Rochester was the clear underdog. Derek pushed all the right buttons and Rochester got a late 2nd Quarter score to lead 25-12 at half. It opened up to 46-12 in the 3rd Quarter before Phillips got two late scores.

The Rochester-Althoff playoff trilogy (2015-2017). Althoff won 46-42 at Althoff in 2015, when Rochester just couldn’t get stops in the 2nd half. Rochester won at Althoff 48-47 in 2016, despite Jaylon Bester scoring 5 td’s and running for about 300 yards. Both games were packed and there was no separation between fans at the old Althoff stadium. It got tense at times. Rochester won at home 41-23 in 2017. Althoff was massive on the line but did not have the passing attack of the previous two seasons.

2013 State Title- SHG 38 Montini 28. Montini had won several consecutive state titles and blew out to a quick 21-7 lead. SHG rallied, scored the next 31 points and had a great defensive effort the last three quarters. Ken Leonard was very fired up throughout, including jawing with some Montini fans at half. This was a very physical game with lots of big hits by both teams.

2013 Regular Season- Rochester 38 SHG 33 on the field, officially a forfeit win for SHG after “ring gate” came out later in the season. Rochester took a quick 21-0 lead and SHG looked vulnerable for once. Of course, they rallied and future NFL receiver Malik Turner had 2 late td’s. Rochester gambled on a long pass late in the 4th Quarter and then was able to run out the clock.

2000 Playoffs- Joliet Catholic 52 SHG 35. Went to this Quarter Final game at Joliet with some SHG friends. SHG had steamrolled everyone that season, but I’d never seen size like Joliet had. They had a 6’7” 280 pound Tight End and a 6’3” 225 pound Running Back who could fly. SHG fought hard but was behind most of the game. The SHG QB took a huge beating as Joliet blitzed him non-stop, but he hung in the whole game.

2003 Regular Season- Jacksonville 28 Southeast 27 (OT). I went to this game at Jacksonville with some Southeast fans. This was a back and forth game that looked like a sure Southeast win when they scored with less than a minute left. They did not, however, play a prevent defense and a Jacksonville receiver got behind them for a last second long TD. In OT, both teams scored. Southeast went for 2 and their pass was knocked down in the end zone. Southeast ended up 4-5 on the season and missed the playoffs.

i was involved in 4 of those games, and witnessed an additional 3. nice post/topic.

All.... Having watched many coming up with the best would be tough for me. One that I will never forget was a semi-final in Springfield. The year is 2006 and SHG is playing Metamora. Both teams undefeated and the Redbirds are averaging just under 50 points a game. I have never let go in the back of my mind a round three playoff game that occurred in Metamora. I believe it was in 2001. The great flood at Redbird stadium the day before. Heard it all. A sprinkler malfunction, or a possible lightening strike the cause. Whatever..... Half of that field was a pool of water when the Cyclones came calling the next day. SHG loses that game.

SHG in 2006 was coming off the previous year at 14-0. A high octane offense (like always) and a stud defense the likes I had not seen for quite some time. The pursuit, speed, and hard hitting was a joy to watch. Running the ball (with that hide the "shell" offense) that Metamora had done forever was going to be tough to do against SHG. The final SHG 19 Metamora 6. The following week the Cyclones complete back to back undefeated seasons defeating Woodstock (Marian) in the championship game. Ratsy

2004 Driscoll vs Wilmington

If Wilmington stays healthy I think they beat Driscoll. Possibly the closest Driscoll cam to loosing a playoff game in that great run they had. Vercelli and Roark were both hurt in that game and Wilmington was still able to hgold Driscoll to 11 points.

Energy was electric that night.....true small school football at its best

Those were good games. I was in the endzone section in 2015 when two 6/5 kids vied for the ball that was about 10 feet above the ground in the back of the endzone, with the Crusader's Edwyn Brown breaking up the pass, sealing the win.

2004 Driscoll vs Wilmington

If Wilmington stays healthy I think they beat Driscoll. Possibly the closest Driscoll cam to loosing a playoff game in that great run they had. Vercelli and Roark were both hurt in that game and Wilmington was still able to hgold Driscoll to 11 points.

Energy was electric that night.....true small school football at its best
I was at that game and Wilmington basically controlled and dominated the entire game in spite of those key injuries. True Wilmington wasn't as effective after the injuries but it still took some extremely fluke plays and bad bounces for Wilmington to lose in the end.

If I'm not mistaken 2004 was the only title Driscoll won at 3A. I remember someone on this board explained the near impossible set of circumstances that lead to them dropping from 4A to 3A on the last day of the season. They never should have played at 3A. I still think the 2004 Wilmington team was one of the best, if not the best, 3A teams I've seen in the last 25 years. I know, I know ,IC had some tremendous teams , I'll still take Wilmington at home over IC.

I was at that game and Wilmington basically controlled and dominated the entire game in spite of those key injuries. True Wilmington wasn't as effective after the injuries but it still took some extremely fluke plays and bad bounces for Wilmington to lose in the end.

I think Driscoll was stunned at the way Wilmington ran the ball right at them in the first quarter. You can make the argument that Wilmington was the only team to our physical Driscoll in that run.

Driscoll does not win without that fluke play that Driscoll defense “made” to get t he e ball from Wilmington

Reactions: mchsalumni
If I'm not mistaken 2004 was the only title Driscoll won at 3A. I remember someone on this board explained the near impossible set of circumstances that lead to them dropping from 4A to 3A on the last day of the season. They never should have played at 3A. I still think the 2004 Wilmington team was one of the best, if not the best, 3A teams I've seen in the last 25 years. I know, I know ,IC had some tremendous teams , I'll still take Wilmington at home over IC.
Pretty sure IC beat Wilmington at Wilmington during their first title run. IC has had better teams the last few years. IC would run over them.

I have attended hundreds of football games dating all the way back to the early 80's. One that particularly stands out to me is the 1992 JC/MC game. It was a rematch of the season opener won by MC. The rematch was a 5A semifinal game on a cold day in Joliet. A defensive battle highlighted by an unbelievable run by Matt Larson in which he absolutely ran over a MC linebacker in route to a 69 yard TD. MC was led by a young Donovan McNabb. Just a great battle of two heavyweights.

I do remember watching McNabb play in person. It was against Loyola which my cousin played on.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT