ADVERTISEMENT

Best Football Inventions Since 2000

colin2229

Jul 23, 2005
First thing that comes to mind is Hudl. I can remember in the early 2000’s having to watch film in coaches office because we only had two VHS tapes of a team. Then by 2010 any player or coach had access to any game or situation they wanted to watch on their phone or computer.

Not to mention the scouting capabilities exploded with Hudl.

Anyone got anything else that comes to mind?

Reactions: RockSoup
An array of ideas: Wireless communications from sideline to press box, use of tablets for sideline coaching in between series, incorporation of the play clock display at the HS level, blocking chutes for practice, belt buckle straps for shoulder pads, girdle that holds pads vs stuffing football pants with thigh/knee pads and hoping you can play without getting caught without tail pad.

Great topic-

Play clock in the EZ’s, belt buckle on shoulders pads and girdle w pads already included! Great stuff.

Must have been early 2008 or so when thigh pads were an inch thick and a foot long and they made the switch to pads a quarter of the size and then spandex with the pads included. That was big time!

Reactions: Chief321
Some of the Apps for drawing up plays and playbooks are a God send if you don’t have a thousand hours.

Reactions: colin2229
An array of ideas: Wireless communications from sideline to press box, use of tablets for sideline coaching in between series, incorporation of the play clock display at the HS level, blocking chutes for practice, belt buckle straps for shoulder pads, girdle that holds pads vs stuffing football pants with thigh/knee pads and hoping you can play without getting caught without tail pad.

Great topic-
Loved the "hoping you can play without getting caught without tail pad"! Haha! I never wore on in HS or college and never heard or experienced anyone getting caught without one.

Reactions: mchsalumni
Loved the "hoping you can play without getting caught without tail pad"! Haha! I never wore on in HS or college and never heard or experienced anyone getting caught without one.
When I was a freshman on fresh/soph we were playing at Lisle. This was a while back when it was Saturday morning games at Lisle. I think at the local park district or something maybe? We got done with our game and hit the showers. We were putting our clothes on and one of our coaches came into the locker room in a panic. Apparently the varsity were all in on some team deal that no one was going to wear their tail pad. It was enough players that they were going to have to forfeit if they did not take the pads of the fresh/soph team. Coaches were not happy.

When I was a freshman on fresh/soph we were playing at Lisle. This was a while back when it was Saturday morning games at Lisle. I think at the local park district or something maybe? We got done with our game and hit the showers. We were putting our clothes on and one of our coaches came into the locker room in a panic. Apparently the varsity were all in on some team deal that no one was going to wear their tail pad. It was enough players that they were going to have to forfeit if they did not take the pads of the fresh/soph team. Coaches were not happy.
Something like this seemed to happen about once a year. :)

The improvement in helmets should be number one

Speaking of change in helmets, I remember going from the very heavy round ones that would give you neck pain the first few weeks of practice to the cool lightweight revolutions (think they may have been the first version) in around 2004 and good god was that a massive upgrade! I think those bulk caps that the pros use will be widespread here in HS ranks very shortly.

From an equipment standpoint the changes are amazing!

Quick release facemasks. Ripkord technology on shoulder pads for easy removal. No more having to snap chin straps. Better and more tacky gloves. Girdles and knee pads smaller. Shoes lighter.

The best change has been making sticky gloves legal. Has changed the game immensely. More exciting offensive football and receivers are now the premium position in the NFL.

I used to put Gatorade on my hands and then wipe it off. Played between the Stickum era and the sticky glove era.

Reactions: colin2229
The best change has been making sticky gloves legal. Has changed the game immensely. More exciting offensive football and receivers are now the premium position in the NFL.

I used to put Gatorade on my hands and then wipe it off. Played between the Stickum era and the sticky glove era.
Great one. I graduated in early 2000’s and can remember when Cutters came on the scene and changed the game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT