ADVERTISEMENT

Best coaching effort this year?

NNFAN

Sep 9, 2001
Naperville, IL
How about Willowbrook's Nick Hildreth? Nick, who took over a program that had one winning season in the previous seven, has quietly built a consistent winner. The Warrior's were 11-0 before losing in overtime to Batavia yesterday. They get better every year... going 5-4, 8-4, 10-2, and now 11-1. Coach Hildreth and his staff has done more with less too. No football history and very low participation numbers at every level, yet they are winning. How about a shout out to the Willowbrook players, coach Hildreth, and his staff on a fine season.

In the 70s I believe Willowbrook was very good but that was a long time ago.

Jordan Lynch. Put in a new offense that has gotten better every week, and has lit a fire under his players. There has been a new excitement on the field this year for MC and it's driven by Lynch.

To top it off MC has beaten solid teams in the playoffs this year regardless of key players being injured.

John Konecki - Crete Monee
Schedules 8a powers (Lincoln Way East and Brother Rice, Morris and Benton Harbor, Michigan when other teams schedule cupcakes.) Now the results are showing.

John Konecki - Crete Monee
Schedules 8a powers (Lincoln Way East and Brother Rice, Morris and Benton Harbor, Michigan when other teams schedule cupcakes.) Now the results are showing.

I'll give you Rice and LWE, but Morris is a mediocre 4a/5a team this year.

I agree about Morris, but the Warriors are a young bunch who are now starting to gel. JCA is peeking at the right time. Its good to see.

Reactions: USD24
Maine west coach. First playoff win, at a school that has been bad for 20+ years. They (Maine west) had a coach a few years ago, Chris Hare, who while at Maine South went 9 and a half years straight coaching MS sophs undefeated. He went to MW and had no success. You can credit a growing feeder system, but their current coach must be doing something right.

Jordan Lynch. Put in a new offense that has gotten better every week, and has lit a fire under his players. There has been a new excitement on the field this year for MC and it's driven by Lynch.

To top it off MC has beaten solid teams in the playoffs this year regardless of key players being injured.
This team was destin. To be championship team from fresh level up ,it's hardly a one year wonder.

This team was destin. To be championship team from fresh level up ,it's hardly a one year wonder.
5-3 as Freshman...lost to Marist, BR (badly) and Loyola...and Billingsley was dismissed from the school...funny thing is they beat LWE as freshman!!

Reactions: crusader_of_90
Ron Dawszak Marist

Beat up on Nazareth ND JCA who are all in state semi final games this weekend. Only loss was to BR. Dawz has done an incredible job since becoming HC at Marist finding out late in the summer last year. He has lost one regular season game in 2 years at the helm. Should get votes for COY

No doubt the boys are tough, talented, have heart, and have what it takes to be champions. But without Lynch at the helm, I don't think MC makes that final offensive drive to beat LZ, and I definitely don't think they beat ESL last night.

Last edited:
Good point but you will never know,I just think it is disingenuous to think that these victories are solely a result of 1 new coach, I’m not buying that

Thanks @NNFAN for shouting out Willobrook.

There will be reasonable disagreement about who is the coach of the year, but I don't think there can be disagreement that what Hildreth, his staff and the kids at Willobrook have accomplished this year is remarkable.

IMO Willobrook's performance yesterday demonstrated that they were one of the best teams in the state this year. All I mean by 'one of the best' is that they could've been competitive with just about any team in the state (with the only exception being, of course, LWE). All I mean by 'competitive' is having a fair chance to win going into the last 7 or so mins of play.

You'll disagree if you think Batavia isn't a good or fair measuring stick. We'll be in a better position to judge after everything is said and done.

Ron Dawszak Marist

Beat up on Nazareth ND JCA who are all in state semi final games this weekend. Only loss was to BR. Dawz has done an incredible job since becoming HC at Marist finding out late in the summer last year. He has lost one regular season game in 2 years at the helm. Should get votes for COY

I agree Southland Fan. Coach Dawczak took over a program that was built up impressively by coach Dunne and he and his staff have elevated it. Marist is fortunate to have Dawz and his staff who are consistently producing at a very high level.

Ron Dawszak Marist

I agree with you on Ron Dawszak as a coach of the year candidate but disagree they beat up on ND. They beat ND but by no means beat them up. I think it was a typical ND/Marist game. Marist has definitely had our number lately but I don’t remember a game of recent vintage that they beat up on us.

True Morris had a down year, but they were State runner-up the season before. I just believe scheduling the tough non conference games get you ready for this time of year. BR and LWE are teams that a lot of teams would not dare schedule. Those teams are are great teams

Reactions: Iamjaytee and USD24
I know people will kind of over look it but I think you have to put John Holecek in the conversation. Dealt with injuries all year and the team had to deal with the unknown adversity of not winning every game. Not a ton of people picked LA to be in the semis, and they have done it in impressive fashion, only giving up 1 touchdown on defense throughout the playoffs. I am most impressed by last week's victory over MS, a shut out. This may not be his most successful team but this might be one of his best coaching jobs in all his years at LA, nothing against any other year.

Let’s talk about the Nazareth and Montini coach.

Naz? Where they favored to be right where they are now? IF they win 7A, maybe, but the still couldn't win the ESCL.

Montini, more inclined based on how they played this year in CCL Blue. Very impressive, plus, I see them winning 5A this year. Great year for them to not be in 6A. Will they move up to 6A next year if they win?

Reactions: USD24
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT