ADVERTISEMENT

Best Big Play You Have Seen In Person?

LWNorth (8-0) hosting LWWest (7-1) in 2015. Game is tight. Then late, but not at the very end, North perfectly executes a "hook-and-ladder" to Jaylin Branch for a TD from about 40 yds. out. They go on to win 28-21 in OT after the stunning play. Props also to the WR who dished the lateral under duress and the downfield blocker who held up at the +5. See 2nd play from link that follows:

Reactions: mates1
2014 4A state title game. Phillips scores late in the 2nd quarter on a long run to get within 17 to 12. Rochester had burned their timeouts early and would get the ball to start the Second half. Play it safe? No way. QB Danny Ziegler takes Rochester down the field and shakes off a huge hit to complete a 35 yard TD to reserve Collin Etherton. Derek goes for 2, and they convert a double reverse pass by Freshman Nic Baker while Ziegler levels a Phillips DL. 25 to 12 at half and a huge momentum shift.

Last edited:
#1 WWS (defending 5A champ) vs #2 NN (defending 6A champ) in week 3 of 1993 still the largest crowd ever at Grange Field the Tigers throw the hook and ladder with 2 mins left in the game for a 91 yard TD, only thing better than the play is the TV call.

1988 quarterfinals MC defeating #1 and heavy favorite to win State HF on literally a last second desperation pass on the goal line to win 13-12 in a heavy rainstorm. Ball deflected off the intended receivers hand into Mark Norvilles hands. MC went on win Lenti’s first title two weeks later.

Last edited:
Reactions: USD24 and Bowie50
1988 quarterfinals MC defeating #1 and heavy favorite to win State HF on literally a last second desperation pass on the goal line to 13-12 in a heavy rainstorm. Ball deflected off the intended receivers hand into Mark Norvilles hands. MC went on win Lenti’s first title two weeks later.
Same!!!! I wasn't there live but saw it that night on tape. Best ever.

I have seen many big plays in the last 40 years of watching high school football, But in IMO, the 2001 JC vs RB ending play is one of the greatest plays ever. Chris Minerich deflects Tim Brasics pass in the end zone as time runs out to preserve JC's 56-50 victory in the 5A quarterfinals. Actually, the last minute of this game is absolutely crazy.

JC/RB

Honarable mention. Ty Issac (the dad) catching a game winning 35 yard TD pass from Jon Voss on fourth and long in the last two minutes of the 1987 state championship game vs Richwoods. TD put JC up 14-13. Hillmen D held on the final drive to preserve the victory. I had a pretty close up view of that one ;)

I'm going to pat myself on the back. I still get free drinks for this and as our 30th class reunion approaches this month, I will likely get more.

Down 13-6 with seconds left in the first half of the 1990 3A title game, Alleman was at our 2-yard line. They pitch right to the fullback, I'm playing ROLB and no one touches me as a go left parallel to the goal line. Despite the Quincy paper crediting DaRond Stovall for stopping all-stater Matt Woods, it was me: "he was spun by a ferocious hit by Stovall, stopped him less than a half-foot short."

I did spin his tail - literally, dude did a 360.

(How they confused a Black #11 and a White #63, I do not know. At least I got credit in my hometown paper.)

I remember going to a Hinsdale Central/Glenbard West game at Duchon a few years ago during Sam Brodner's senior season. The Hilltoppers were holding on to a slim lead midway through the 4th and had a 3rd-and-very long to go (25 or 30 yards from their own 30 or 35
Brodner caught a simple screen pass that didn't look like it was going to significant. But then he broke a couple of Red Devils' tackles and streaked down the GW sideline for at least a 50-yard gain. That was the game-breaker as the Hitters scored a few plays later to seal the game.

The Brook’s Fake punt vs LWC in 06.

The Brook’s, Roosevelt Holliday’s Strip & Score vs LWE in 2009

Aaron Bailey’s Touchdown run in the 4th Vs. LA to win the State title.

Honorable Mention: Dale Martin’s big run vs LWE that got called back due to his helmet being ripped off in 05.

Pete Barounes to Billy Bowes 94 yards in the mud at old St Rita stadium to give the Crusaders a 7-6 victory over the highly ranked Mustang & send us to the ‘85 semis.

1988 quarterfinals MC defeating #1 and heavy favorite to win State HF on literally a last second desperation pass on the goal line to win 13-12 in a heavy rainstorm. Ball deflected off the intended receivers hand into Mark Norvilles hands. MC went on win Lenti’s first title two weeks later.
I would say that is probably the biggest play in MC history.

Different phases...

Kicking...2002 Week 2, Manteno hosts Wilmington in the Panthers first ever home football game. The Wildcats, after a wakeup punch early on the first possessions, run the ball through huge holes everywhere...58-12 final. But the highlight of the day likely was a 52 yard field goal by Shane Longest, the Wilmo kicker who got a tryout with the Bears after college, on a 4th and forever up like 40. The first field goal attempt in stadium history, and I believe the 18th longest in IHSA history.

Returns...2014 3A State Title game, Wilmo's Al Zlomie shakes, straight arms, and rumbles down the east sideline to put the Cats back up 7 after Williamsville's first score...

Defense...2002 Week 6, the winless Manteno Panthers visit playoff bound Peotone for the first Rumble on Route 50. In a defensive slugfest, the Panthers take a 6-0 lead into the fourth quarter. The Devils finally bust a hole late through the left side of the Panther defense and a back takes off down the east sideline seemingly destined to tie the game up on an 80ish yard run. The Panthers' first all-stater, Mike Laniga (Ball State Track), was playing safety on the right side of the defense. As the back busts through the hole, QB/other safety Jeff Meyer (Illinois Baseball) bellows "Get him Laniga!" Laniga makes up about 20 yards to catch the back inside the 10, almost the 5, saving the game as the Devils fail to score. First win in Panther history...

Different phases...

Kicking...2002 Week 2, Manteno hosts Wilmington in the Panthers first ever home football game. The Wildcats, after a wakeup punch early on the first possessions, run the ball through huge holes everywhere...58-12 final. But the highlight of the day likely was a 52 yard field goal by Shane Longest, the Wilmo kicker who got a tryout with the Bears after college, on a 4th and forever up like 40. The first field goal attempt in stadium history, and I believe the 18th longest in IHSA history.

Returns...2014 3A State Title game, Wilmo's Al Zlomie shakes, straight arms, and rumbles down the east sideline to put the Cats back up 7 after Williamsville's first score...

Defense...2002 Week 6, the winless Manteno Panthers visit playoff bound Peotone for the first Rumble on Route 50. In a defensive slugfest, the Panthers take a 6-0 lead into the fourth quarter. The Devils finally bust a hole late through the left side of the Panther defense and a back takes off down the east sideline seemingly destined to tie the game up on an 80ish yard run. The Panthers' first all-stater, Mike Laniga (Ball State Track), was playing safety on the right side of the defense. As the back busts through the hole, QB/other safety Jeff Meyer (Illinois Baseball) bellows "Get him Laniga!" Laniga makes up about 20 yards to catch the back inside the 10, almost the 5, saving the game as the Devils fail to score. First win in Panther history...
Shane Longest was great. He was awesome at SXU. I watched him kick warm ups kicks 75 yards. That kid was great and it’s a shame he didn’t make it in the NFL.

Reactions: Blue Ruin
Different phases...

This part of your post reminded me of the 1986 4A Title Game where Brian Wise (Tinley Park HS and Iowa) ran back the opening KO 90 yds. for the TD igniting a 21-15 win against Rock Island Alleman.

Playoffs Burlington at Driscoll during DC's 7 straight state title run. In the last minute of the game DC has a 3rd down inside Burlington's 40 yard line. DC is up by 2 points. The DC QB throws an interception and the Burlington DB had nothing in front of him running down the sideline for a 70 yard TD to win the game.

Wait, Driscoll WR Greg Turner runs all the way from across the other side of the field and catches the Burlington DB on the 10 yard line. Turner reaches around the ball carriers back and punches the ball out with his right hand then dives on the football for the DC win. The 7x state championship dynasty continued.

Turner was an amazing player who had the ability to beat you in the final moments of a game even when his team did not have the ball. He would just strip it away from you for the win.

I call it simply Jordanesque.

Last edited:
My college friends played on that team. Althoff lost to Alleman in the semis.
RI Alleman actually beat 4 undefeated teams on the way to the 4A title game in '86. I wonder how many times something like that (or even better, beating 5 undefeateds) has happened in IHSA history?

Reactions: crusader_of_90
Deerfield vs Schaumburg week 4 2019. Deerfield down 13-7, 4th and 29 from the 1 yard line under 1 minute to play. QB Ryan Nagelbach throws up a prayer ball tipped by a couple defenders, TE Colin Ward comes down with it and goes 99 yards for the win on their way to a season that ended with a trip to the Semis

All.... For me it would be very difficult picking out one in the dozens I have been privy to see over the years. But I have never seen a player have so many highlight runs in one season then now graduated QB Isaiah Thompson from SHG. To be fair he did it against all the six schools the Cyclones played. I could provide six clips from those schools. (even more) No one was spared.

Here is one of my favorites when SHG played MacArthur. The ground level view doesn't really give the justice it deserves but one can get an idea how dangerous he was on the field. His run is at about 2 minutes of the video clip. Ratsy

Last edited:
I have seen many big plays in the last 40 years of watching high school football, But in IMO, the 2001 JC vs RB ending play is one of the greatest plays ever. Chris Minerich deflects Tim Brasics pass in the end zone as time runs out to preserve JC's 56-50 victory in the 5A quarterfinals. Actually, the last minute of this game is absolutely crazy.

JC/RB

Honarable mention. Ty Issac (the dad) catching a game winning 35 yard TD pass from Jon Voss on fourth and long in the last two minutes of the 1987 state championship game vs Richwoods. TD put JC up 14-13. Hillmen D held on the final drive to preserve the victory. I had a pretty close up view of that one ;)
Definitely the minarich play. Also the play right before where Bobby Buchanan chased down the receiver and shoestring tackled him inside the 3 preventing a sure score and thus allowing the minarich play.

Also 99 Morris where goolsbyhad a huge tfl setting up missed fg.

00 Pontiac Koren blocked pat followed by jr 80 yard counter.

18 title game Montini up and going for dagger late in third. Inexplicably throw and yahnke (sp?) picks off to start the comeback. They run the ball three times there and they score and almost surely win.

All.... For me it would be very difficult picking out one in the dozens I have been privy to see over the years. But I have never seen a player have so many highlight runs in one season then now graduated QB Isaiah Thompson from SHG. To be fair he did it against all the six schools the Cyclones played. I could provide six clips from those schools. (even more) No one was spared.

Here is one of my favorites when SHG played MacArthur. The ground level view doesn't really give the justice it deserves but one can get an idea how dangerous he was on the field. His run is at about 2 minutes of the video clip. Ratsy

He burned the Rockets the one time they almost had him for a big loss, avoided two of our best tacklers and scored from about 50 yards out. In a COVID free scenario, Thompson could have played in three state tournaments this season.

The Brook’s Fake punt vs LWC in 06.

The Brook’s, Roosevelt Holliday’s Strip & Score vs LWE in 2009

Aaron Bailey’s Touchdown run in the 4th Vs. LA to win the State title.

Honorable Mention: Dale Martin’s big run vs LWE that got called back due to his helmet being ripped off in 05.

06 had a lot of plays, the Dale Martin helmet was 06

Kenny Bell's 95 yard pick 6 vs LWE in the Qtr Finals 06

Bailey for the 60 yard 4th qtr TD score in the 2011 semi final to win it

I forgot about the Holliday scoop and score, that was massive.

Last edited:
Reactions: CougsX and Bowie50
‘76 10-1 Joliet Catholic vs. 11-0 Boylan (‘75 5A Runner Up) in Semifinals.
Trailing 7-0 Hilltoppers mount a 7-minute+ drive 82 yards and score.
Going for 2 points and the win, run fake, QB rollout and a soft toss to uncovered TE for 2 points and lead.
A packed Joliet Memorial Stadium explodes.
The loudest roar I have ever heard.
Held on for the win.

Last edited:
I caught a TD pass, the only TD of my career, on our homecoming game vs Gordon Tech my senior year. Our starting FB went out injured, so I was the only other option to go in the game. Im pretty sure it was the 4th quarter and we were losing, so as we're rallying to attempt to tie the game our QB Matt Muscia (later QB at Rockford) hit me in the endzone for my lone career TD reception! Best moment of my football career.

Two interesting side notes to this story. My dad was working the chains, so he was on the field for the catch! But my wife had left at halftime in order to get ready for that night's homecoming dance 🤣

Brought me out of my seat screaming, leaping into the air, falling on the row in front of me. In my mind this was the first indicator that Willowbrook was on the rise and would be the power of the WSC Gold moving forward.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT