ADVERTISEMENT

Best Bands growing up

corey90

Aug 27, 2005
Crown Point, IN
Since the Best TV Shows growing up started to slow down I thought this might get everyone to start thinking back to their HS years and all that great music.
I will start with some of my favorites.

Journey
Styx
Van Halen
ELO
Doobie Brothers
Foreigner
Blue Oyster Cult
AC DC

I know I missing a bunch but I am sure others will remind me. Let’s hear it guys.

Reactions: MWittman
Favorites and where I saw them:

Metallica, saw them at Lollapalooza in Pecatonica, along with Soundgarden in 96. Hotter than all get out, but a great show, also with Cheap Trick and the Ramones.

Van Halen, saw them in 2018 with David Lee Roth. Handed 15th row seats when I got to the show, absolutely the most amazing concert ever for me. Seeing EVH that close playing all the classics was awesome. Never understood why pay so much to be that close, but COMPLETELY get it now.

Lynard Skynard and the Doobie Brothers, at Allstate Arena.

Sammy Hagar at Ribfest with Jason Bonham

Regret not seeing more bands: GnR, AC/DC, Motley Crue

Great idea Corey90-

Pink Floyd-Obviously
Led Zeppelin
Rush
Cheap Trick
Peter Frampton
Van Halen
The Beatles
McCartney and Wings
Elton John
Supertramp
Endless bands...

For me life changed musically when I listened to Bob Dylan album Desire around 1977. Huge fan ever since and still discovering new and old material of his.

Dire Straits - If you have time ( seems like we all do these days ) Google Telegraph Road 1983 Alchemy tour. Mark Knopfler is a master on the guitar, and he's at his absolute best.

Tom Petty
Pearl Jam
John Mellancamp

As with all things, more will come to me later

All.... A good list. Some others I saw. Ratsy

Guess Who
Ozark Mountain Daredevils
Kiss
Chicago
Kansas
Bachman Turner Overdrive
Scorpions
Aerosmith As mentioned before that "wonderful" concert where Steven Tyler fell off the stage on their comeback tour after just a few songs.

Maybe you have to be a geezer to appreciate the Rolling Stones. And it's probably the same with Dylan, deserving winner of the Nobel Prize. Both have deep roots in Chicago blues.

Even at this advanced age, I still go out dancing at the local blues clubs, such as Buddy Guy's. Everyone knows girls love to dance, and they'll dance with almost anyone, as long as the music's hot enough, and there is nothing hotter than Da Bluz.

Last edited:
Reactions: forlouann
Motley Crue
Def Leppard
Poison
I got a ticket to see them this summer! Well.....hopefully it still goes on....

Allman brothers
Doobie brothers
Led Zeppelin
Who
Yes
Kansas
ELP
Genesis (with Peter Gabriel)
Gentle giant
King Crimson

Allman brothers
Doobie brothers
Led Zeppelin
Who
Yes
Kansas
ELP
Genesis (with Peter Gabriel)
Gentle giant
King Crimson
Genesis Seconds Out with Phil Collins is my favorite album. Most of the songs originated with Peter Gabriel.

Favorites and where I saw them:

Metallica, saw them at Lollapalooza in Pecatonica, along with Soundgarden in 96. Hotter than all get out, but a great show, also with Cheap Trick and the Ramones.

Van Halen, saw them in 2018 with David Lee Roth. Handed 15th row seats when I got to the show, absolutely the most amazing concert ever for me. Seeing EVH that close playing all the classics was awesome. Never understood why pay so much to be that close, but COMPLETELY get it now.

Lynard Skynard and the Doobie Brothers, at Allstate Arena.

Sammy Hagar at Ribfest with Jason Bonham

Regret not seeing more bands: GnR, AC/DC, Motley Crue

Great idea Corey90-
Was that when they held Lollapalooza at the "Fairgrounds outside of Rockford"?

Consider myself a late 80's early 90's kid:

Beastie Boys
New Edition
REM
U2
Depeche Mode
Metallica
Pearl Jam
Soundgarden
Blues Traveler

Consider myself a late 80's early 90's kid:

Beastie Boys
New Edition
REM
U2
Depeche Mode
Metallica
Pearl Jam
Soundgarden
Blues Traveler
How many songs by Depeche Mode can you actually name without looking it up? :) I do know who they are...or were.

For me, I had the opportunity to grow up around several different musical genres. I grew up in a house where my dad performed in country bands and played music with many well known country stars of the 60s and 70s. He literally has thousands of CDs. At one time, he knew lyrics to over 3,000 country songs.

But, he didn't shove country music at us. We could listen to whatever we wanted to. But he did NOT listen to rock or anything close to it. To me, classic country is the best form of country music. I have a lot of it.

Since most of the rock bands were named here already I will list some of my favorite country performers. Certainly not all of them but a sample.

Jim Reeves - dad's voice and style was similar to his and he owns every song Reeves recorded.

Hank Williams Sr. As a young man, dad got to meet and sit in with Williams when he performed at a nightclub. But it wasn't recorded. My dad told me Hank Williams Sr. was probably the friendliest and nicest performer he ever met. He said Williams would sit and talk to anyone. Some of my favorites are....

Buck Owens
Roger Miller
Johnny Cash
Don Williams
Johnny Bush
Leroy Van Dyke
Don Gibson
Hank Thompson
George Jones
Webb Pierce

I am sure I am leaving a lot out but I am running out of time.

My dad is going to be 87 in May. Some of these stories I mentioned about him as a young man were told to me by his friends in the last 10 years. I never knew about the Hank Williams stuff. Obviously it happened before he was born. I asked him why and he just shrugged. Within the last few years he developed arthritis which keeps him from playing his guitar. That has really bothered him. He still has two or three of them. He wants to give me a Martin D-18 he has had for years. I know he has had it for close to 50 years anyway.

Oh and by the way. He said Jerry Lee Lewis was a real ass. The guy refused to even give fans autographs after he played. Maybe Lewis did at times, but dad never saw it. I will tell the Elvis story at another time.

Reactions: Gene K.
Was that when they held Lollapalooza at the "Fairgrounds outside of Rockford"?
Yes it was, I've never gone back and seen any footage until this week. Amazing people have that up on youtube now, 24 years later. I remember it like Ribfest was held-all general admission.....it wasn't smelling like cornfields out there that afternoon. LoL

Yes it was, I've never gone back and seen any footage until this week. Amazing people have that up on youtube now, 24 years later. I remember it like Ribfest was held-all general admission.....it wasn't smelling like cornfields out there that afternoon. LoL
That was a hot day and they didn’t sell beer. People were dropping like flies everywhere.

Not all of my favorites were of my age, but the "contemporaries," were DLR version of Van Halen, loved the Red Rocker - Sammy Hagar - but hated Van Hagar. Guns and Roses, Nirvana and Stone Temple Pilots. Black Crows, Ozzy/Sabbath, Steve Miller Band. Stones and the Who. Genesis/Phil Collins. Metalica. Beastie Boys, 2LiveCrew

All-time favorites include Zeppelin, Doors, Jimi, Beatles, Skynard, Traffic, (Clapton), Janis and the Grateful Dead.

Not all of my favorites were of my age, but the "contemporaries," were DLR version of Van Halen, loved the Red Rocker - Sammy Hagar - but hated Van Hagar. Guns and Roses, Nirvana and Stone Temple Pilots. Black Crows, Ozzy/Sabbath, Steve Miller Band. Stones and the Who. Genesis/Phil Collins. Metalica. Beastie Boys, 2LiveCrew

All-time favorites include Zeppelin, Doors, Jimi, Beatles, Skynard, Traffic, (Clapton), Janis and the Grateful Dead.
I definitely should have included the Doors on my list.

Reactions: Illiphyte
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT