ADVERTISEMENT

Batavia 33 - Brother Rice 0 Halftime

I wish I could see if you had a straight face when you typed that.
I absolutely did
Do you think there is only 1 catholic school within that 30 mile radius
Once again a kid from the southside could go to
BR
MC
St L
Marist
D
SR
Iggy

I can only speak for Morris, but it is very rare if a kid chooses to go to JCA or Providence. One every 5 years or so, maybe and if so, they likely went to the catholic grade school in Morris.
Morris is definitely unique in that it is kind of the very edge of the Chicagoland area and probably closer to rural southern and western areas of Chicagoland than to any major suburb. It looks like Morris HS is about 23 miles from JCA and over 28 miles from PC.

So a commute to PC is certainly a stretch and JCA isn't exactly convenient either. So I am sure you are correct in that it is fairly uncommon for Morris kids to attend private schools. The town's relative 20 plus mile commute to any population center makes Morris HS really the only choice for people in town unless you are willing to commute over an hour each day and likely go to school with a student body comprised entirely of people you don't know prior to high school.

Minooka is a different story. Outside of Joliet Township and the Plainfield 202 district, JCA draws more kids from the Minooka HS district than any other I would imagine. It is big enough and close enough to be a substantial feeder.

Reactions: stl705 and 4Afan
that type of kid was going to a catholic school regardless just depends on which one.
I promise you the public school wasn’t a thought for those families
It’s eat or be eaten with catholic schools

Public school doesn’t have to worry about that

Kid from Orland drives right past Marist and BR to go to MC
don’t forget the tuition
Where’s the advantage

don’t forget the tuition
Where’s the advantage
Advantage: Kid from Orland playing football for a school in Chicago. No other public school has that advantage.
Stop using other catholic schools to say there is no advantage. Private schools have this advantage when it comes to sports because they can have students come from a wider area (non-boundary) than a public school (boundary).
In some cases, 30 miles is not even enough. I know of at least 4-5 kids from my town that went to a catholic school 43 miles away because they got tuition down closer t the other catholic school near us, and there was a dad who drove a van to the school everyday.
Tuition-I know. But, if the family has no issue paying, its not a factor. If a kids parents make 6-7 figures a year, tuition isn't an issue. If they can't afford the tuition, and they really want the player, the school and donors make sure that player gets in the building.

Reactions: 4Afan
And you see no advantage of HS coach having a feeder program that runs the same scheme as the HS
And knowing exactly what kids are coming into the building each year?
It’s like having a minor leagues for your program
I would take that advantage over “maybe” getting a kid who lives far away

So let me put a summary on this. There is NO way Brother Rice should lose to Batavia except there are no private schools worth attending near Batavia, the little league football teams all have the same schemes as the Bulldogs, there is no tuition bill at Batavia HS (yet) and they had an unfair advantage because all the Rita, MC,StL., and Marist kids could not form a tunnel for the Crusaders to see their way onto the Bulldogs disco lighted field? And they had played their Super Bowl the week before vs. a fellow CCL team??Let me know if I missed anything.

Reactions: corey90
So Brother Rice, with a male student population of 673, "NO WAY" should lose to Batavia with a male population of 902?

Reactions: WIU78
Also, look at their rosters, they're available online, Batavia has more Juniors and Seniors than BR

Reactions: WIU78
And they don’t list the feeder schools for the Batavia Bulldogs which is very sketchy…hum.

Reactions: corey90
don’t forget the tuition
Where’s the advantage
Mt Carmel has a history and tradition that other schools can't match. Plus, great academics and sports Plus, countless legacies. Countless classmates of mine have sons, grandsons, and soon, great grandsons that go, have gone or will go to Mt Carmel.

I took three CTA busses from 94th and Kedzie to go there. There were always other MC students on the bus when I got on. I loved the place and still do. (and I worked to pay my own tuition.)

Reactions: eireog
Mt Carmel has a history and tradition that other schools can't match. Plus, great academics and sports Plus, countless legacies. Countless classmates of mine have sons, grandsons, and soon, great grandsons that go, have gone or will go to Mt Carmel.

I took three CTA busses from 94th and Kedzie to go there. There were always other MC students on the bus when I got on. I loved the place and still do. (and I worked to pay my own tuition.)
Yeah JCA has no history or tradition

Advantage: Kid from Orland playing football for a school in Chicago. No other public school has that advantage.
Stop using other catholic schools to say there is no advantage. Private schools have this advantage when it comes to sports because they can have students come from a wider area (non-boundary) than a public school (boundary).
In some cases, 30 miles is not even enough. I know of at least 4-5 kids from my town that went to a catholic school 43 miles away because they got tuition down closer t the other catholic school near us, and there was a dad who drove a van to the school everyday.
Tuition-I know. But, if the family has no issue paying, its not a factor. If a kids parents make 6-7 figures a year, tuition isn't an issue. If they can't afford the tuition, and they really want the player, the school and donors make sure that player gets in the building.
Ahhhhh until the last sentence...

There are very few schools running the same scheme they did seven years ago. Not many head coaches last seven years and even less at the coordinator level.
Not at the very successful schools. It’s about knowing what you have coming through the doors

Not at the very successful schools. It’s about knowing what you have coming through the doors

Yeah but if you know whats coming through is not good, there isn't much you can do about it. If Rice has a rough year getting kids from say St. Christina, they can move to another program to get kids. Or also just use the transfer portal to fill gaps.

Yeah but if you know whats coming through is not good, there isn't much you can do about it. If Rice has a rough year getting kids from say St. Christina, they can move to another program to get kids. Or also just use the transfer portal to fill gaps. then one way to
Absolutely, more then one way to skin a cat
I was responding to the 30 mile radius argument and how that doesn’t matter on the southside

They next time we get a transfer from a CCL school that is good who left because of tuition will be the first.
You were doing decently in this back and forth because you have CCL roots and some sort of past or present inside a suburban public school administration. So always respected your knowledge and input on the board and still do but you swung and missed big time on this statement, assumption.

If we reported every waiver wire move in the CCL to Publics from test day to graduation there’d be pages for each team.

And I start with test day because about a month after the test, families begin to understand there isn’t a magic donor in the sky waterfalling money to their athlete son. I could go as specific as you want but for families’ rightful privacy, I will not. But every CCLer poster that follows HSFB intently and intensely we can take rosters from CCL schools and the surrounding publics and know 8th grade addresses (edit: or at least their home school district or more specifically, their 8th grade high school district wink emoji), where they tested, where they went, when they left etc.

But anytime you want to have coffee, you can DM me and I’ll tell you the dozen just off the top of my head (edit again: just in the last 5 years) of all conference or borderline D1 talent that has left privates for publics.

Last edited:
You were doing decently in this back and forth because you have CCL roots and some sort of past or present inside a suburban public school administration. So always respected your knowledge and input on the board and still do but you swung and missed big time on this statement, assumption.

If we reported every waiver wire move in the CCL to Publics from test day to graduation there’d be pages for each team.

And I start with test day because about a month after the test, families begin to understand there isn’t a magic donor in the sky waterfalling money to their athlete son. I could go as specific as you want but for families’ rightful privacy, I will not. But every CCLer poster that follows HSFB intently and intensely we can take rosters from CCL schools and the surrounding publics and know 8th grade addresses (edit: or at least their home school district or more specifically, their 8th grade high school district wink emoji), where they tested, where they went, when they left etc.

But anytime you want to have coffee, you can DM me and I’ll tell you the dozen just off the top of my head of all conference or borderline D1 talent that has left privates for publics.
This! Speaking from personal experience, I can come up with numerous very good players who left JCA over the years due to tuition.

My boys are in Prospect's feeder program for football....and its exactly that....a feeder program. Prospect coaches are involved with the Jr. High coaches, as are Prospect football players. It doesn't bother me in the slightest, and it is nothing worth complaining about. I think its actually cool for the younger boys to get input from the HS football players.

It is equally not worth complaining about Catholic schools having a larger radius to draw from. Many (probably most) kids at Catholic school are from families that never considered a public school....only a matter of which Catholic school would they attend. So arguing they come from far, is a baseless argument. My kids will drive right past Prospect on their way to Viator. Prospect was never a thought....

My boys are in Prospect's feeder program for football....and its exactly that....a feeder program. Prospect coaches are involved with the Jr. High coaches, as are Prospect football players. It doesn't bother me in the slightest, and it is nothing worth complaining about. I think its actually cool for the younger boys to get input from the HS football players.

It is equally not worth complaining about Catholic schools having a larger radius to draw from. Many (probably most) kids at Catholic school are from families that never considered a public school....only a matter of which Catholic school would they attend. So arguing they come from far, is a baseless argument. My kids will drive right past Prospect on their way to Viator. Prospect was never a thought....
Couldn’t of said it better

Reactions: Lion4Life01
I never said or inferred anything like that.
Mt Carmel has a history and tradition that other schools can't match. MC63 ?
I enjoy giving MC63 a hard time as much as the next poster, but you guys are really being hard on him this time and twisting his words around. :)

MC63: I understood what you meant. There, I came to your defense. :)

Go Hillmen! Go Caravan!

I didn
Mt Carmel has a history and tradition that other schools can't match. MC63 ?
We've felt that way for the last 123 years. Note, that I didn't say other schools didn't have tradition and history ... I don't believe teirs' can match ours. No offense intgended.
I enjoy giving MC63 a hard time as much as the next poster, but you guys are really being hard on him this time and twisting his words around. :)

MC63: I understood what you meant. There, I came to your defense. :)

Go Hillmen! Go Caravan!
Thank you, Kev!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT