ADVERTISEMENT

Atascocita 43, East St. Louis 13 -- final

Atascocacita has scored on all five of it possessions along with a kickoff return.

Illinois and Missouri plays some good high school football and has some great athletes, but when you hear about how good Texas football is... wow. I see that Texas really IS different. I can't believe that team is only ranked 7th in their class in the state (6A). That's scary.

Illinois and Missouri plays some good high school football and has some great athletes, but when you hear about how good Texas football is... wow. I see that Texas really IS different. I can't believe that team is only ranked 7th in their class in the state (6A). That's scary.
Match ups! Some teams just match up better. This wasn’t a good match up for ESL.

From the broadcast, it sounds like they have DBs who are going to USC and LSU. A four-star junior running back who everyone wants, a QB who is going low-level DI (Northwestern St) and another kid who is going to Texas not sure of his position. That would be a tough matchup for anyone.

Watched with a Slim Jim - Jim Bean and Diet Coke. Here is my recap.

Two quick TDs by TX.

I really appreciate what Pops Battle does ... he is a Boss. Getting to 14-7 was good - much due to his feet.

The 98-yard return immediately after the score by the LSU commit was a backbreaker. TOO MUCH SPEED! Dude ran a 20.54 in the 200M - 6A champ. HEY- Zeus!

I liked the use of Woods and Martin - the latter dropped a shoulder on a dude on a bubble pass, the LSU guy.

Watson has nice hands. 22-7 - but Flyers moving it. Trick play - Bond to Bennett, 22-13, still respectable.

Tipped off Flyers hands - could have been pick six - ends up as a first down. MISSED OPPORTUNITY. Then a score.

GREAT WR blocking by TX.

Smiley Bradford is a LOCKDOWN DUDE. But he made a mistake with his mean mugging - it was not anything not seen by both MC and ESL two weeks ago. To be honest. And this was the first penalty I remember.

The sophomore, behind the 4-star RB, is FASTER ... wow! Karday Mack! (phonetic spelling.)

22-13 .... then TX scores with 00:08 in the half ... Mack around the corner. No catching him - 29-13 Texas.

HALF TIME - 208 yards TX, 154 yards ESL.

ESL's Martin is a bull! Woods is a bit quicker.

TX Dline is big, fast and strong.

Rico Bond is winning his one-on-one battles. Then Pops picked - like a punt to the 5, from the 40.

The pair of RBs from Texas are amazing! Even better than @Silver Rain said the MC backs were.

Fourth and 10 - 36 yards - right through the hands of a Flyer DB .... tipped to TX for a score. 36-13. So preventable, but it happens.

Battle is a DUDE!

TX announcers commenting on the bad luck .. . or execution.

DAMN - Bennett with a 50-yard catch and run to the 12 Then a read option botch ... to the 20. Second and 18 - Battle hits his man's hands in the endzone. TOD.

"Despite the score, the Flyers have shown some dents in the Eagles tonight."

Sophomore Mack is a STUD RB! TX then passes to its stud WR in between a trio of Flyers. WOW!

And then the final TD - 43-13. But the Flyers are still fighting.

Pops is such a fighter - gains the first down. AHHH - missed one in the endzone.

Game.

Much better showing by Atascocita the second time around.
North Shore beat Westlake today to advance to the 6A-1 State Championship.
Another team from that district (Summer Creek) advanced to the 6A-2 championship game.
Pretty friggin tough league.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT