ADVERTISEMENT

Any good Marist-Rice post game summary notes?

Topiary

Jul 9, 2001
Didn't get chance to get to game - only via Twitter feeds coming through. Appears Rice controlled both sides of the ball for most part - Marist QB out for a couple of series' before getting back. Jadon Thompson and Skalitzsky held in check.
Thoughts?

I saw Rice a couple of times and Marist once. I thought Rice could control both lines of scrimmage and if didn't try to do to much on offense their defense could carry them.

The special teams were pretty bad early in season but they seem to be better now.

Full disclosure, I have a son on the Marist team. Trying to be unbiased. I don’t feel the better team won in week1, but the better team won yesterday. BR defense played great. Marist D played very good as well. Marist just seemed a little off on offense all day, probably as a result of BR defense, That being said Marist still had a chances but didn’t capitalize. It pretty much came down to that rice made the big plays and Marist didn’t. Number 14 had a day. A few great plays with a backbreaker being a 75 yard touchdown . Went up and got the ball between to Marist to Anders that were in great coverage and made the play and finished with a touchdown . Unfortunately for Marist we did not do that yesterday . I’m sure this could be said about rice as well but these Marist seniors were a great group of kids and tough to see them go out short of their goal . Couldn’t ask for on the coaches for your young man either. Great coaches and great people . Didn’t want to lose but Dan very happy for number 87 and 44 on rice . They played well and good luck

Marist had negative total yards in 2nd half
BR completely shut down anything they tried to do

Full disclosure, I have a son on the Marist team. Trying to be unbiased. I don’t feel the better team won in week1, but the better team won yesterday. BR defense played great. Marist D played very good as well. Marist just seemed a little off on offense all day, probably as a result of BR defense, That being said Marist still had a chances but didn’t capitalize. It pretty much came down to that rice made the big plays and Marist didn’t. Number 14 had a day. A few great plays with a backbreaker being a 75 yard touchdown . Went up and got the ball between to Marist to Anders that were in great coverage and made the play and finished with a touchdown . Unfortunately for Marist we did not do that yesterday . I’m sure this could be said about rice as well but these Marist seniors were a great group of kids and tough to see them go out short of their goal . Couldn’t ask for on the coaches for your young man either. Great coaches and great people . Didn’t want to lose but Dan very happy for number 87 and 44 on rice . They played well and good luck
Sorry for the few grammatical errors . Voice to text not working so well

Reactions: Skins93
I was very nervous all week about this game but Rice DL pretty much controlled the game. I have to think there were at least 5 sacks & I don’t think Marist ran for 25 yards total on the day. Marist FG drive was only 30 yards as result of long kickoff return. Thompson was completely held in check. In truth, Rice should have scored 10-14 more. The missed FG on the 1st drive we had first & goal at 7 as a result of a couple long passes but a hold pushed us back to the edge of our FG range. Also, threw a red zone INT in 3rd. I agree with the Marist poster above that the August game was almost a tossup but this one was not really as close as the score. Marist never really threatened at all yesterday.

Great summary and thank you by 1Harvey2. Is your son a Senior or will he be back? Marist was and is a great program. I did not expect them to roll the ESCC like they did. Marist seems to have a solid 7-8 kids back. One thing I noticed is that Thompson didn't seem to have the game I was thinking he would. Perhaps the timing was off or the pass rush by Rice (and subsequent coverage by Means) were also involved. Next year I;m sure it will be another dogfight

Great summary and thank you by 1Harvey2. Is your son a Senior or will he be back? Marist was and is a great program. I did not expect them to roll the ESCC like they did. Marist seems to have a solid 7-8 kids back. One thing I noticed is that Thompson didn't seem to have the game I was thinking he would. Perhaps the timing was off or the pass rush by Rice (and subsequent coverage by Means) were also involved. Next year I;m sure it will be another dogfight
My son is a Sr. Was pretty banged up but there was no way he was missing this game. Great game to unfortunately end your career on. Not only did your D line play great, there seemed to be a few coverage sacks as well. Means played well and a few times it looked like single coverage on Thompson there would be disguised help over the top. Good schemes from your D coordinator. This Marist team played great this season despite having small lines. I think both programs should be well suited for the future, but from day 1 freshman year, I thought both of these teams had special talent and chemistry.

Rice's D dropped 4 interceptions. And I mean dropped. Marist DL held their own all day long. It was a matter of a few big plays for BR and a dominant defense.

Reactions: go_rice and Gene K.
I saw Rice a couple of times and Marist once. I thought Rice could control both lines of scrimmage and if didn't try to do to much on offense their defense could carry them.

The special teams were pretty bad early in season but they seem to be better now.
Agreed on special teams. After week one, I said it would cost them a game or two. Luckily, that hasn't happened obviously. And I hope it doesn't next week. These kids have worked their asses off since day one. Regardless of next weekend, they have built on the foundation. Their leadership qualities are better than any other team I've ever followed.

Reactions: Gene K.
Did Markett get hurt? If he did, did it affect the outcome?

Missed a 3rd down play and 1 series before half.

No. he was shut down for the first time this season. As previously mentioned week 1 he broke multiple 10+ yard runs.

This week rices D line played its best game of the season (containing Markett) and means shut down Marist D-1 receiver.

Reactions: eireog
Missed a 3rd down play and 1 series before half.

No. he was shut down for the first time this season. As previously mentioned week 1 he broke multiple 10+ yard runs.

This week rices D line played its best game of the season (containing Markett) and means shut down Marist D-1 receiver.
If Means was a few inches taller he'd be heavily recruited. Kid has been a star for 3 years.

Brother Rice D-1 played very good. That being said Jadon is my nephew. Jadon and Means are very good friends. All season long. Teams have been playing a safety over top. Whenever there were single coverage on Jadon during the season. He was open. And they went to him. Like I said to him after the game. There is nothing for you and the team to hang your heads about. Yes you are sad that the seniors don’t have a chance to do this again. But now it’s time to put work in for your senior season. I love the way the BR players showed Jadon love after the game. Every kid hugged him. Much respect to their football players. Great kids!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT