ADVERTISEMENT

Amendment Proposals IHSA

Some of these proposals might actually help the weaker private schools. So many private school kids drive past Immaculate Weak Sister Catholic to attend Always Wins Power Catholic, the school where 50% of the boys are on the football team. A boost to the closer private school isn't necessarily a bad thing.

discuss

Proposal 3....private school radius down to 15 miles instead of 30 (with an exception)
Proposal 4....make sure you live in IL....

Proposals 5 and 6 on transferring

Proposal 8....No recruiting!

Proposal 12...add week 0 vs another opponent

Proposal 21...football regions
Radius is straight line distance. Just checked it for IC. Fifteen miles east takes them to Grand Ave and the Kennedy in River West. They should be okay

I also liked posts by JCHillman explaining the financial ramifications of private schools losing kids to this proposal and ClownBaby's post about his thought process between determining private vs. public schools for his kids.

Should it be discounted in favor of the common good? That's one way to put it. I think of it as an 80/20 situation. Do 80% of families take into account your observations or is it more towards the 20%? Not only in this instance but yes, I feel that policy should be catered towards the common good in most situations, majority rules. I would have never considered religious ideology as a deciding factor that private school families take into account when choosing a school so, yes, to me that was a great observation.

As far as if the amendment is necessary and if there is data that shows too many private school athletes are coming from further than 15 miles away, only the IHSA can answer that and being that it's the IHSA they likely never will.

I don't see where I'm arguing either side. I've literally just been asking questions about the effects on private schools if this were to pass (it won't and likely won't even be put to a vote). Things didn't start getting argumentative until you chimed in.

At this point I would say that I don't have enough information to say whether it sucks or not. Hence the reason for all my questions.

As others have said, if this is just the latest move by the IHSA to get private schools to secede from the IHSA how do you feel about that? Do you want private schools to be separated in athletics?

I'm salty about it that's for sure. It is just another example (after many) of public schools really not understanding, or caring, about the private school realities.

Do I want private schools to be separated in athletics? Yes. For a very long time. Absent that, however, I want them to be treated fairly in the athletic association they are in. Is that too much to ask?

Radius is straight line distance. Just checked it for IC. Fifteen miles east takes them to Grand Ave and the Kennedy in River West. They should be okay
MC not so good. Fifteen straight south takes em to about 182nd. Lot of their enrollment is from past that

The way I interpret this is that they can choose the school they wish to attend as long as it is within 15 miles of their home address.
So an eight grader who's father and grandfather went to MC and MC is 16 miles away they could go to the school but not play sports. BUT they could go to Marist, Brother Rice, or St. Rita? That is stupid.

Your premise is those kids BELONG to the public school? That what is wrong with public education. No competition.

How about Providence losing to JCA because kids that were at PC left because of the property tax increase.

Level the playing field with tuition vouchers and open boarders.
District Football lost the vote. The multiplier and the success factor did not get the result they wanted. But remember the school administrators vote for this not the AD's or the coaches. There is still a lot of animosity against the privates for staying open during the covid shut downs. I think this may pass. Yes they think all the kids belong to them.

I read it to be the radius thing is on for a year so it could hurt Freshman sports but does the IHSA even regulate freshman sports.

These rules seem to be looking to cut down on transfers and the out of state thing and one team and one sport program in particular.

Why would schools close? This only has to due with student athletes. If a student, legacy or otherwise, wants to attend MC, for example, from literally anywhere then nothing is stopping them. Should they choose to participate in a sport then there would be an issue.

This doesn't apply to every student, just athletics.
lol, this is a troll post…

Proposal 3;The 15 mile rule would be a killer for private schools. Many would not be able to keep their doors open with this change.

Proposal 4 doesnt make any sense either.

No. They just drop out of IHSA and form their own association. This would be the final straw to making this happen

You football coaches talk to High School Coaches about players all the time. Don't know how your gonna stop that.

This is one of the few amendments I support. A much bigger issue in sports like soccer, volleyball and lacrosse.

Would eliminate coaches directly kids to a certain club.

Well I know what the Andrew AD has spent his fall doing..
If I was him I'd worry more about all the kids at Sandburg that should be at Andrew. They're both in Dist. 230 but it's an open secret. Andrew does lose a few to LWE for football. Andrew does lose a lot of baseball players too.

Acting like the public schools don't recruit is laughable. My boys play park district football in Mount Prospect. Dad's are the coaches, but teams also get assigned a Prospect football player as an assistant coach. I think it's great, and the kids enjoy having a young coach that's not a dad....but it's 110% a recruiting tool for Prospect football. I personally know kids that have been torn between Viator for hockey and Prospect for football and had their football coach help sway them to Prospect.

Reactions: Gene K.
It’s 2022 - why is the 30 mile radius even a thing? Parents should be able to send their kid to any school they’d like no matter how far away. We live in a world today in which everyone fights for freedom to make their own decisions…how is this even a thing still?

Private schools should just hire an attorney and go to bat with the IHSA and fight this.

The NCAA lost when they were challenged on NIL and a judge ruled it was illegal for players not to make $$ off their NIL. NCAA changed their transfer rules when they were challenged.

What’s really so stupid, is this will do absolutely nothing to what these schools proposing the 15mi radius proposal intend for it to do. Why not make it 10 miles? Why not 5miles?

Mt Carmel, Loyola, Rita, JCA, IC, etc… are awesome because of the culture they’ve built and they are well oiled machines w outstanding cultures. Parents want to send their kids there because they know their kids will reach their full potential in those programs.

They are run by smart people that if you change the rules they will change their operations to find a way to still be successful. They tried w the multiplier and it didn’t work bc these schools just embraced the challenge and rose to it.

If a kid was going to go to JCA but now has to go to Providence, he still ain’t going to your public school. The privates will still get their kids.

If Sandburg, Andrew, etc lose kids to a private school…shame on you! Well run public schools don’t lose kids to private schools. Batavia is the premier public school in my area and the community lives for their football program. It is so well run and they don’t lose any kids unless it’s religion based.

One thing that I have learned is that people will use the words “safe” or “safety” as go-to words to keep people from questioning or debating what they are proposing or changing. The equivalent of saying “that’s our policy” when they can’t justify their actions.

Am I the only one here who hopes amendment 2 passes?

would finally create a burning platform for private schools to leave IHSA which is long over due.

for those who say this has no chance of passing, remember more than 60 percent of IHSA votes are from rural schools who play 1-3a football. Downstate still rules the IHSA

It’s 2022 - why is the 30 mile radius even a thing? Parents should be able to send their kid to any school they’d like no matter how far away. We live in a world today in which everyone fights for freedom to make their own decisions…how is this even a thing still?

Private schools should just hire an attorney and go to bat with the IHSA and fight this.

The NCAA lost when they were challenged on NIL and a judge ruled it was illegal for players not to make $$ off their NIL. NCAA changed their transfer rules when they were challenged.
Thank you for this. I’ve been reading this dumpster fire thread on a dumpster fire proposal amazed at the discussion and the words people use on both sides.

Our children are not the property of the IHSA. Our children are not the property of a school district. These should be self-evident truths that are immutable.

Then we can have a discussion of the correct type or ‘better type’ of competition categories between the teams that belong to the association. But to actually discuss this proposal, for or against, takes the ability to completely disregard the 1st amendment. Thus, I will not participate in any discussion on this non-starter of a proposal.

Am I the only one here who hopes amendment 2 passes?

would finally create a burning platform for private schools to leave IHSA which is long over due.

for those who say this has no chance of passing, remember more than 60 percent of IHSA votes are from rural schools who play 1-3a football. Downstate still rules the IHSA
It has to actually get on the ballot. If it does, I can see it passing. I said two years ago not multiplying many private schools and leaving schools down in smaller classes would set the mood to toss them out.

I read it to be the radius thing is on for a year so it could hurt Freshman sports but does the IHSA even regulate freshman sports.

These rules seem to be looking to cut down on transfers and the out of state thing and one team and one sport program in particular.
Which one? In your opinion…

Why can't private schools stay open if the rule is changed to 15 miles? Are you saying that sports is the biggest reason why these schools are open?
With the population boom that has occurred in the far southwest suburbs over the past 25 years that has ultimately drained The Chicago Catholic Archdiocese school enrollments by half over the last 20 years and led to many school closures….. My question to you is why do these schools feel they have to change the rules to compete? They have the pick of litter when it comes to abundance of kids not to mention far more resources than their private school counterparts. They offer a virtually free education via the taxpayer and it’s the public schools who are at a disadvantage here? If private schools can sell parents who in many cases live in areas with very large tax bills funding their local public schools to pay an additional $15,000 a year to educate their children……. How hard is it for these public schools to sell their product of a free education to the same parents? Sounds to me like these public schools are doing something drastically wrong. Perhaps they should take a good look inward instead of offering amendments that would kneecap the private schools. Just a thought.

With the population boom that has occurred in the far southwest suburbs over the past 25 years that has ultimately drained The Chicago Catholic Archdiocese school enrollments by half over the last 20 years and led to many school closures….. My question to you is why do these schools feel they have to change the rules to compete? They have the pick of litter when it comes to abundance of kids not to mention far more resources than their private school counterparts. They offer a virtually free education via the taxpayer and it’s the public schools who are at a disadvantage here? If private schools can sell parents who in many cases live in areas with very large tax bills funding their local public schools to pay an additional $15,000 a year to educate their children……. How hard is it for these public schools to sell their product of a free education to the same parents? Sounds to me like these public schools are doing something drastically wrong. Perhaps they should take a good look inward instead of offering amendments that would kneecap the private schools. Just a thought.
Well said

Reactions: Sparty Jones
Thank you for this. I’ve been reading this dumpster fire thread on a dumpster fire proposal amazed at the discussion and the words people use on both sides.

Our children are not the property of the IHSA. Our children are not the property of a school district. These should be self-evident truths that are immutable.

Then we can have a discussion of the correct type or ‘better type’ of competition categories between the teams that belong to the association. But to actually discuss this proposal, for or against, takes the ability to completely disregard the 1st amendment. Thus, I will not participate in any discussion on this non-starter of a proposal.

Here is the thing. The IHSA is a voluntary member run organization which governs itself.

It can do pretty much whatever it wants as long as it follows its own due process and engages its members.

Schools are free to create their own association and create their own championships, which is what I am pretty sure will eventually happen.

While I agree that the reasons for the new rules are likely borne from jealously and spite, the reality is that this is an unsustainable situation

As a Loyola parent for 2 and public school parents for 2, I can tell you that if the strict letter of the law was applied, EVERY major catholic school would have eligilibity issues in NEARLY EVERY sport. (It isn't just a football and hoop things like many believe. In fact, I'd argue catholic league football programs tend to have fewer violations than many of the olympic sports.) Additionally, a majority of large public schools would have some challenges too, including some of the ones sponsoring these new regulations.

The reality is that we are in a gray area right now, where there are ridiculously strict rules which aren't enforced unless there is a major violation.

It simply isn't a sustainable situation. At some point, if IHSA board leadership changes, there could be a reckoning with tons of players and schools suddenly ineligible. It is better to sever this system right now while it is somewhat functioning.

• Love
Reactions: ClownBaby
The Altamont principal really wants seasons shortened in multiple sports. I have never heard of that school before.

To be fair, its a real issue for small schools with a ton of three sport athletes. Many of these schools dont have numbers to start baseball until hoop is done; don't have numbers to start hoop until football is done.

That said, doesn't make sense to impose on the entire state.

I just submitted this FOIA request to CHSD 230-

TO: Director of Communications – Community High School District #230 (CHSD 230):

In accordance with the Illinois Freedom of Information Act (5 ILCS 140), I am requesting access to the following records in your organization’s possession related to Proposals to Modify By-Laws of the Illinois High School Association (IHSA).

I am seeking all communication (electronic and physical) created or received by employees of CHSD 203 concerning proposals to modify any IHSA By-Law since 1 August 2019.

I am also seeking all communication (electronic and physical) created or received by employees of CHSD 203 concerning Proposals 3, 4, 5, and 8 in the 2022-2023 Proposal Document. (A document with the proposals can be found at: https://www.ihsa.org/documents/bylaws/2022-23BylawProposals.pdf)

In the unlikely event that you claim any portion of the above public records to be exempt from disclosure under 5 ILCS 140, in writing please (i) identify which portion or portions you claim are exempt and the statutory provision or provisions you contend apply; (ii) set forth the reasons for your conclusion that such portion or portions are exempt; and (iii) release the remainder of such records for inspection and copying, redacting only the portion or portions you claim are exempt.

Please note that the statute does not allow your agency to withhold documents in their entirety if only parts of the records may be exempt.

Please provide the information within five business days, as required by law. If the records are kept electronically, please provide them that way.

END

I imagine I will receive hundreds if not thousands of documents from CHSD 203 high school aged kids that do not attend CHSD schools detailing the trauma from lack of sleep and navigating the unsafe roads home from the schools such as Marist, Brother Rice, Mother McCauley

Agreed with preseason scrimmage not full team summer 11v11. Would put too much pressure on multi-sport athletes.
It wouldn't make a difference for multi-sport kids. Besides, they go to their travel baseball over football all the time anyways.

Here is the thing. The IHSA is a voluntary member run organization which governs itself.

It can do pretty much whatever it wants as long as it follows its own due process and engages its members.

“Schools are free to create their own association and create their own championships, which is what I am pretty sure will eventually happen.” King MJ

While I agree that the reasons for the new rules are likely borne from jealously and spite, the reality is that this is an unsustainable situation

As a Loyola parent for 2 and public school parents for 2, I can tell you that if the strict letter of the law was applied, EVERY major catholic school would have eligilibity issues in NEARLY EVERY sport. (It isn't just a football and hoop things like many believe. In fact, I'd argue catholic league football programs tend to have fewer violations than many of the olympic sports.) Additionally, a majority of large public schools would have some challenges too, including some of the ones sponsoring these new regulations.

The reality is that we are in a gray area right now, where there are ridiculously strict rules which aren't enforced unless there is a major violation.

It simply isn't a sustainable situation. At some point, if IHSA board leadership changes, there could be a reckoning with tons of players and schools suddenly ineligible. It is better to sever this system right now while it is somewhat functioning.
I’m fine with the sever. I’m not in a private school athletic administration though so my advice to them would be to fight any association over reach.

Schools are free to create their own association and create their own championships,

I would advise them to fight it because above are your own words. Now replace schools with any non-majority (in this case open boundary schools v districted publics) group that is targeted. And there are so many precedents in Establishment clause and Free Exercise clause that it’s a simple victory in court. Why hasn’t the private schools used the courts yet? The IHSA hasn’t crossed the Rubicon yet. The Andrew AD seems intent on crossing it and will cost the association a lot of money battling a losing case. And may get all arrangements the privates have accepted tossed. So the sever may be the dissolution by attacking too much out of spite or jealousy of whatever

Reactions: Gene K.
I just submitted this FOIA request to CHSD 230-

TO: Director of Communications – Community High School District #230 (CHSD 230):

In accordance with the Illinois Freedom of Information Act (5 ILCS 140), I am requesting access to the following records in your organization’s possession related to Proposals to Modify By-Laws of the Illinois High School Association (IHSA).

I am seeking all communication (electronic and physical) created or received by employees of CHSD 203 concerning proposals to modify any IHSA By-Law since 1 August 2019.

I am also seeking all communication (electronic and physical) created or received by employees of CHSD 203 concerning Proposals 3, 4, 5, and 8 in the 2022-2023 Proposal Document. (A document with the proposals can be found at: https://www.ihsa.org/documents/bylaws/2022-23BylawProposals.pdf)

In the unlikely event that you claim any portion of the above public records to be exempt from disclosure under 5 ILCS 140, in writing please (i) identify which portion or portions you claim are exempt and the statutory provision or provisions you contend apply; (ii) set forth the reasons for your conclusion that such portion or portions are exempt; and (iii) release the remainder of such records for inspection and copying, redacting only the portion or portions you claim are exempt.

Please note that the statute does not allow your agency to withhold documents in their entirety if only parts of the records may be exempt.

Please provide the information within five business days, as required by law. If the records are kept electronically, please provide them that way.

END

I imagine I will receive hundreds if not thousands of documents from CHSD 203 high school aged kids that do not attend CHSD schools detailing the trauma from lack of sleep and navigating the unsafe roads home from the schools such as Marist, Brother Rice, Mother McCauley

Love this.

The reason why some public schools want to change the rules to compete is because private schools are different and it GALLS public schools to lose to private schools in the playoffs. Instead of a public school playoff loser looking inward at their own shortcomings as a way of explaining their defeat, they immediately assume they lost to the private school solely because the private school is different. Since private schools are different, and since many public schools have experienced the ignominy of being bounced from the playoffs by private schools, all private schools (including such athletic juggernauts as Lycée Français de Chicago, Christian Liberty Academy, Our Lady of Tepeyac, Rochelle Zell Jewish High School, etc.) become a convenient and popular scapegoat for public school losers who choose expediency over excellence. It's easier for those public schools to legislate their way to a few more playoff wins than it is for them to put in the work to become excellent.

Last edited:
I’m fine with the sever. I’m not in a private school athletic administration though so my advice to them would be to fight any association over reach.

Schools are free to create their own association and create their own championships,

I would advise them to fight it because above are your own words. Now replace schools with any non-majority (in this case open boundary schools v districted publics) group that is targeted. And there are so many precedents in Establishment clause and Free Exercise clause that it’s a simple victory in court. Why hasn’t the private schools used the courts yet? The IHSA hasn’t crossed the Rubicon yet. The Andrew AD seems intent on crossing it and will cost the association a lot of money battling a losing case. And may get all arrangements the privates have accepted tossed. So the sever may be the dissolution by attacking too much out of spite or jealousy of whatever

the reason private schools have t challenged is that they know a high percentage breaking many of the rules especially around recruiting, off season practices and camps.

if they win in court, it will be a hollow victory because the same people they won against will start citing private schools and their feeders over every minor rules violation

Reactions: NNFAN
the reason private schools have t challenged is that they know a high percentage breaking many of the rules especially around recruiting, off season practices and camps.

if they win in court, it will be a hollow victory because the same people they won against will start citing private schools and their feeders over every minor rules violation
If these things are going on now, cite their asses then. Cite the public schools committing the same offenses as well. What is the IHSA waiting for? Put up or shut up, I say!

“Breaking the rules?” The only thing private schools are doing different than there public school counterparts are out working them and putting in the time needed to succeed. With a fraction of the resources. It must suck to strive for mediocrity.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT