ADVERTISEMENT

Althoff Transitions to Hoops Quickly

Jordan Goodwin had 19 point and added 10 rebounds, five assists and three steals.That puts him at 44 points and 25 rebounds for the weekend.

"If he isn't the player of the year in the state, trot him out and Jordan will play him one on one," Coach Leib said. "We have some great players but Jordan takes it to another level."

Read more here: http://www.thestate.com/sports/other-sports/article67103387.html#storylink=cpy

Irvin just got the best Freshman in the city to transfer in from Solorio. Its a crime he gets stay in 3a.

Morgan Park, Phillips.... CPL schools do what they want..... if they were private, then they might have to follow rules.... in the CPL, you do what you want, then when you win they will lift you up. Anywhere else if you win, you get punished

Morgan Park, Phillips.... CPL schools do what they want..... if they were private, then they might have to follow rules.... in the CPL, you do what you want, then when you win they will lift you up. Anywhere else if you win, you get punished

Outside of Simeon and MP, how many championships have the public schools won? All of Simeon's are in 4A which is the highest class. WY was in 4A, again the highest class. Phillips was the first football championship regardless of class. What ever the CPL is doing, they aren't doing a good job if championships is the measure of success. If they wanted to just dominate, every athlete from MP can go an play for Simeon. At the end of the day, just play and beat whoever is in front of you. Althoff will be the first 3A team to move to 4A along with St. Joe. Montini is the only football team that moved up one class. SHG won titles in 6A prior to the success factor.

Last edited:
I will not argue any of your points. Your points are very solid and I agree....play who is in front of you and beat who you have to beat. However, why are non-public schools punished with the multiplier? Because school who can recruit players have an advantage over schools who play with kids who live in their districts. So in most classes, private schools win a solid % of titles even though they have relatively few schools. So when schools are multiplied and they still win (or sometimes dominate) are now multiplier and have a success factor added in if they are still dominate. I think this is fair and I guess teams who take advan

Outside of Simeon and MP, how many championships have the public schools won? All of Simeon's are in 4A which is the highest class. WY was in 4A, again the highest class. Phillips was the first football championship regardless of class. What ever the CPL is doing, they aren't doing a good job if championships is the measure of success. If they wanted to just dominate, every athlete from MP can go an play for Simeon. At the end of the day, just play and beat whoever is in front of you. Althoff will be the first 3A team to move to 4A along with St. Joe. Montini is the only football team that moved up one class. SHG won titles in 6A prior to the success factor.
North Lawndale won the championship in basketball in 2A I believe 2 years ago.

My point is not at all about the CPL teams winning, if they win great! Good for them.

However, if they are doing the same things that Private schools are being punished for, then shame on the CPL and the IHSA for letting the schools live by a double standard. Private schools get to recruit, have kids transfer in, have students living all over the place and taking buses and trains all over the place; also have students who have fake "Physical addresses" while living somewhere else. And all those private schools are handicapped by the multiplier. If they win anyway, then there is the success factor to deal with. Phillips, and Morgan Park and others do this in the CPL and Sports Illustrated comes to do stories about them? Heck I think that story itself illustrated the violations?

My point is not at all about the CPL teams winning, if they win great! Good for them.

However, if they are doing the same things that Private schools are being punished for, then shame on the CPL and the IHSA for letting the schools live by a double standard. Private schools get to recruit, have kids transfer in, have students living all over the place and taking buses and trains all over the place; also have students who have fake "Physical addresses" while living somewhere else. And all those private schools are handicapped by the multiplier. If they win anyway, then there is the success factor to deal with. Phillips, and Morgan Park and others do this in the CPL and Sports Illustrated comes to do stories about them? Heck I think that story itself illustrated the violations?

The SF is for teams that dominate a specific class. How often do that really happen. Driscoll and Montini. Rochester had a four year run but that maybe over. Montini moved up and won! How is that punishment. The teams that don't win get a waiver and spend time in the officially enrolled class. So how was it fair for Althoff to go in 2A football a few years back simply because they couldn't win in 4A. Two years later, they are in the 4A title game?? How is that fair for all the public schools that had their best season ever and ran into Althoff who was visiting their class for one year. If you focus solely on one side of the coin then your point might be valid. In the CPL, the school that operate like private school are typically in the higher classes. Phillips was unique and only time will tell on how it is handled. I disagree with the statement that the CPL is getting away with something. Heck they can have championships in EVERY class in the major sports if they wanted to according to your post. They could have city try outs and put the best players in each sport on one team.

Reactions: biglatte
Morgan Park has been on quite a run. They get a transfer or two every year. State Tournament 3A in '13, '14 and '15 and Supers in '16

Phillips was very good in '13, made it to the 4A Title in '14 and won over Althoff with a 40 point clock in '15 with a ton back.

Rochester has had their fair share of transfers, but those families had to purchase a home and physically move into the district (not and easy thing to do). Rochester also had a 5 year run and was a 2 point conversion away in '9 and lost a dog fight this year at Althoff.

Morgan Park has been on quite a run. They get a transfer or two every year. State Tournament 3A in '13, '14 and '15 and Supers in '16

Phillips was very good in '13, made it to the 4A Title in '14 and won over Althoff with a 40 point clock in '15 with a ton back.

Rochester has had their fair share of transfers, but those families had to purchase a home and physically move into the district (not and easy thing to do). Rochester also had a 5 year run and was a 2 point conversion away in '9 and lost a dog fight this year at Althoff.

A majority of the school in the state of Illinois get a transfer or two every year. Not sure your point on transfers? The multiplier is not based on the ability to get transfers.

All.... A question for you. No narrative please. A simple yes or no. Should the success factor be instituted for all schools. Ratsy

Next year, with Jordan Goodwin among the six of top eight returning, Althoff will be fine in 4A, but they do lose seven years of starter experience with graduations of Young and Ferguson.

The FOLLOWING YEAR - when the cupboard is bare - is that supposed to be a punishment year? Is that what the IHSA intended - if you do good, you get spanked? You can't tell me that a school with 380 kids should regularly be in a regional with ESL and Edwardsville.

Or, I should say, be in that regional long enough to where they have no success and compete based on their already multiplied enrollment.

Please don't get me wrong, I don't like the "success factor" and I am not against schools getting transfers. The "multiplier" is not my favorite action either. But these things were put in place by the IHSA in order to level the playing filed because non-boundary schools do get an advantage. I hate when a private school is punished for winning when a public school that does the same thing is not.

All.... A question for you. No narrative please. A simple yes or no. Should the success factor be instituted for all schools. Ratsy

No..... but if a public school has players from another district playing for them, or transfering without moving into the district? Then yes!

No..... but if a public school has players from another district playing for them, or transfering without moving into the district? Then yes!

All.... Spoken like a true Rocket fan. For shame... MOVING in is no different. expensive yes but no difference, The Rockets have had several key impact players move into the their district because of their football success in the past several years. Your team wouldn't of even made far enough last year to play Althoff if it wasn't for the those two studs the Cox twins. (who left Williamsville) Do you really believe they came to Rochester because of academics. And they are back this year and in 4A ball and will be instrumental leading the team deep into the playoffs once again. I hear another player is coming in from Mt. Zion.

Tap dance all you want on your answer. Discrimination is alive and well when it comes to Illinois High School football. And your reply has proven it..... P.S. I know Rocket fans want no part in 5A playoff ball or larger. Which of course is why your fans will fight to the death against the success factor for all schools. (lol) Ratsy

Last edited:
All.... Spoken like a true Rocket fan. For shame... MOVING in is no different. expensive yes but no difference, The Rockets have had several key impact players move into the their district because of their football success in the past several years. Your team wouldn't of even made far enough last year to play Althoff if it wasn't for the those two studs the Cox twins. (who left Williamsville) Do you really believe they came to Rochester because of academics. And they are back this year and in 4A ball and will be instrumental leading the team deep into the playoffs once again. I hear another player is coming in from Mt. Zion.

Tap dance all you want on your answer. Discrimination is alive and well when it comes to Illinois High School football. And your reply has proven it..... Ratsy

You must be a liberal...I say we should all play by the same rules and you say I am discriminating? A kid in Chicago can spend 3 hours a day taking buses and trains to get to school because he wants to win in basketball or football and I don't think that is fair. You scream discrimination?

You must be a liberal...I say we should all play by the same rules and you say I am discriminating? A kid in Chicago can spend 3 hours a day taking buses and trains to get to school because he wants to win in basketball or football and I don't think that is fair. You scream discrimination?

All..... Liberal hardly.... But you make a good point. When it comes to the success factor everyone should play by the same rules. The IHSA made a big mistake excluding public schools. The different road ANY school travels in getting to the point of having the S.F. kick in must be applied equally. If you don't understand that you are truly lost. One can only blame this magic 30 mile rule that makes private schools supposedly unbeatable so much.

Here is a little food for thought.. Many (not all), including some of the most die hard anti private school fans feel the S.F. (if you are going to have it) needs to be applied to all schools. Ratsy

[QUOTE="Here is a little food for thought.. Many (not all), including some of the most die hard anti private school fans feel the S.F. (if you are going to have it) needs to be applied to all schools. Ratsy[/QUOTE]

I don't think there should be a multiplier or a success factor, and I couldn't care less about a 30 mile radius. But I do think that schools that play by different rules shouldn't have to play each other. 8 classes in football? Not needed. How about 6? 4 classes for public, divided evenly into four quarters. and then take all the privates and divided them into 2 classes?

Conferences are not needed either, in any sport. The ihsa can hire me and I will make all there schedules fore every school private or not. Everyone plays schools from their area, mostly around their size, a few bigger, a few smaller...no more problems.

All.... Let's stay on point. You gave your opinion already on the S.F. and it's application. No need to add qualifiers and what ifs.... Ratsy P.S. Separation would make the road for Rochester even easier. I know that is what you and many of your fellow public school supporters desire with that idea.

Next year, with Jordan Goodwin among the six of top eight returning, Althoff will be fine in 4A, but they do lose seven years of starter experience with graduations of Young and Ferguson.

You forgot about Gooch (sp)! He was an original before Ferguson transferred in

The FOLLOWING YEAR - when the cupboard is bare - is that supposed to be a punishment year? Is that what the IHSA intended - if you do good, you get spanked? You can't tell me that a school with 380 kids should regularly be in a regional with ESL and Edwardsville.

Or, I should say, be in that regional long enough to where they have no success and compete based on their already multiplied enrollment.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT