ADVERTISEMENT

Althoff Transitions to Hoops Quickly

crusader_of_90

Nov 1, 2003
Sauget, IL
archviewsecurity.com
Six of eight football players on the varsity hoops roster answered the bell for Althoff's hardwood win over Edwardsville last night.

Seniors Keenen Young and Tarkus Ferguson and juniors Jordan Goodwin and C.J. Coldon traded in their football cleats for sneakers and helped the Crusaders defeat Edwardsville 67-59 in the Battling Bulldogs Thanksgiving Tournament at Waterloo High.

The victory enabled Althoff to finish 3-1 in the round-robin tourney.

“I was playing football, but I was still working on my (basketball) game Tarkus and I got in the gym a lot,” said Goodwin, whose 17 points led the Crusaders. “The only thing that’s probably different is in football you get a break between plays. Out here, you don’t get a break.”

Young, Ferguson and senior Brendon Gooch each had 10 points for Althoff.

Less than 24 hours earlier, Goodwin and his other football teammates lost 51-7 to Chicago Phillips in the championship game of the Class 4A state tournament. Leib substituted frequently to keep his players’ legs fresh, and Goodwin, for one, enjoyed being back.

“Last night we lost state, but we know we have the opportunity to win state in basketball,” Goodwin said. “I just came out here and gave it my all. Basketball is my first love, so it was fun playing basketball out here tonight. It was my first game this season and I felt good.”

Two other football players, junior Di’Mond Salmon and junior Edwyn Brown, did not play for Althoff. Brown has a foot injury and was not available.

Read more here: http://www.bnd.com/sports/high-school/prep-basketball/article47002680.html#storylink=cpy

Not that this is a hoops board, but those multi-sport athletes at Althoff are now 18-2 with the only full-team loss coming at the hands of nationally ranked STL Chaminade that features Duke-bound and likely one-and-done star, Jason Tatum. Althoff had them at half, but cold shooting finally caught up to them. Chaminade has been involved in a half dozen games that required air travel this season.

Last night, Althoff took Chicago Kenwood to the woodshed with an 80-64 game that ended with subs playing.

There are a lot of juniors on that team - I hope they play football again next year. That said, Edwyn Brown, a 6/5 wingman, had surgery on his foot after the football finals, costing him his junior year. He is the kid who won the jump ball in the corner of the endzone to seal the win over Rochester.

But it's hard to argue that Jordan Goodwin should take the risk ... the conditions do not favor athletes who take risks with their bodies.

Jordan Goodwin established himself as one of the country’s top basketball players in the 2017 Class. Instead of stopping there, he decided to try football two years ago and now he has an Iowa football scholarship offer:
http://hawkeyenation.com/2016/goodwin-adds-iowa-football-offer-to-go-with-one-from-hawkeye-hoops

Hawkeye Basketball Coach Fran McCaffery also spoke with Goodwin on Sunday.

“He thinks I can go to the NFL and the NBA,” Goodwin said. “We have a strong relationship. He’s seen me play a lot, so he knows my game.”

Jordan Goodwin established himself as one of the country’s top basketball players in the 2017 Class. Instead of stopping there, he decided to try football two years ago and now he has an Iowa football scholarship offer:
http://hawkeyenation.com/2016/goodwin-adds-iowa-football-offer-to-go-with-one-from-hawkeye-hoops

Hawkeye Basketball Coach Fran McCaffery also spoke with Goodwin on Sunday.

“He thinks I can go to the NFL and the NBA,” Goodwin said. “We have a strong relationship. He’s seen me play a lot, so he knows my game.”

What would you say are the chances he plays football in college?

This is his first football offer so things could change a little. Especially if a school let him play both sports. He can definitely pull of a Gates and make the NFL if he put forth the effort. The reality is most Illinois Basketball kids are really better football players. It hard for most to try both. Great news for that kid and Althoff. Iowa will probably lead all schools now for him.

Reactions: UlbKA91
This is his first football offer so things could change a little. Especially if a school let him play both sports. He can definitely pull of a Gates and make the NFL if he put forth the effort. The reality is most Illinois Basketball kids are really better football players. It hard for most to try both. Great news for that kid and Althoff. Iowa will probably lead all schools now for him.

Did Iowa also offer for hoops? Any idea if they would let him play both?

Crusader, what type of chance do you give Centralia tonight? They seem to have played Althoff pretty tough in their previous meetings.

I'd say the margin stays within 20, but Althoff wins. Thank goodness the game is not in Centralia. That's a tough place to win. Even last year's team lost there - and then had two other losses to St. Joe.

Being at neutral site - and the boys know one slip up and the season is a failure - I think you will see a highly motivated group of Crusaders.

There is a reasonable chance that 3 of 4 champions are private schools.
1A-Leo
2A-Hales
3A-Fenwick or Althoff

What will the IHSA do if this happens?

There is a reasonable chance that 3 of 4 champions are private schools.
1A-Leo
2A-Hales
3A-Fenwick or Althoff

What will the IHSA do if this happens?
Nothing as the teams they will beat will have nothing to complain about.

Looks like Althoff will be the only private school champ.

3A should be fun

Althoff with a nice and easy 83-69 game with the subs playing at the end.

It was nice to see the exuberance of recently returned Edwyn Brown - oh boy he's chomping at the bit for any minutes he gets! And six other D1 athletes on the team.

With just two more games left - and these boys have been going since August (before) - expect total mayhem from these young men this weekend.

Their coach is a clown. He was popping off in the Belleville papers about how he could "taste Althoff" - can't wait to get them again this year - we're taller, they have no answer - bragged that he and Goodwin talk trash to each other ...

Well coach, buy a ticket for this weekend if you wanna go to state.

Their coach is a clown. He was popping off in the Belleville papers about how he could "taste Althoff" - can't wait to get them again this year - we're taller, they have no answer - bragged that he and Goodwin talk trash to each other ...

He has fell into the Chicago hype trap in which he will probably never win again. All of a sudden they are the only ones that play basketball in the state. Only the humble coaches survive in this game.

His wife who coaches Whitney Young does the same. Read his quotes from last night ....."we played awful, we overlooked them, we couldn't make a shot." Nowhere did he acknowledge what LWW did.

Reactions: USD24

Nick Irvin is a clown. Seems like he tries to hard to take away attention from Robert Smith and Simeon to get the spotlight on himself. I hope Althoff runs away with the thing...

Reactions: USD24
His wife who coaches Whitney Young does the same. Read his quotes from last night ....."we played awful, we overlooked them, we couldn't make a shot." Nowhere did he acknowledge what LWW did.

Not his wife, but sister-in-law has same boastful attitude.

His wife does not coach WY that is his sis in law

How do Morgan Park and Whitney Young get basketball players from suburban towns?

How do Morgan Park and Whitney Young get basketball players from suburban towns?
Just like Phillips in fooball....CPL has their own rules and nobody at the IHSA cares to enforce them. Now private schools? They attack!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT