ADVERTISEMENT

All round sports schools

USD24

Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Joliet
I didn't want to hijack the 3 sport thread, so who which school has the best all-round sports program?
A few who come to mind.
New Trier
Hinsdale Central
Edwardsville
Montini

I have to give a shout out to JCA. Have done some good things lately to improve their "non-major" sports. In the last calendar year, the Hillmen/Angels have at least advanced beyond the regionals in the following sports:football(quarters), girls volleyball (3rd place), girls soccer (4th place), boys soccer, boys cross country, baseball, softball, girls tennis, competitive dance (3rd place) wrestling, girls basketball and boys basketball. Not bad for a school that historically has only had real success in baseball, football and girls volleyball.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gene K.
I didn't want to hijack the 3 sport thread, so who which school has the best all-round sports program?
A few who come to mind.
New Trier
Hinsdale Central
Edwardsville
Montini

I have to give a shout out to JCA. Have done some good things lately to improve their non-major sports. In the last calendar year, the Hillmen/Angels have at least advanced beyond the regionals in the following sports:football(quarters), girls volleyball (3rd place), girls soccer (4th place), boys soccer, boys cross country, baseball, softball, girls tennis, competitive dance (3rd place) wrestling, girls basketball and boys basketball. Not bad for a school that historically has only had real success in baseball, football and girls volleyball.

Edwardsville is the best in Southern Illinois

Fremd and Barrington come to mind as schools with many upper echelon programs

A few who come to mind.
New Trier
Hinsdale Central
Edwardsville
Montini

I have to give a shout out to JCA. Have done some good things lately to improve their "non-major" sports. In the last calendar year, the Hillmen/Angels have at least advanced beyond the regionals in the following sports:football(quarters), girls volleyball (3rd place), girls soccer (4th place), boys soccer, boys cross country, baseball, softball, girls tennis, competitive dance (3rd place) wrestling, girls basketball and boys basketball. Not bad for a school that historically has only had real success in baseball, football and girls volleyball.
Maybe part of the problem was being viewed as "non-major"
If you get a few more soccer players and a few more tennis players and a few more wrestlers and a few more students participating in the arts, before you know it, your enrollment isn't as dangerously low as it was in the past.

Last edited:
Maybe part of the problem was being viewed as "non-major"
If you get a few more soccer players and a few more tennis players and a few more wrestlers and a few more students participating in the arts, before you know it, your enrollment isn't in dangerously low as it was in the past.

I agree with you and that is what JCA is doing. My "non major" reference was just how these sports tend to be viewed by the general public.

The two that surprise me the most are girls soccer and wrestling. I know nothing about girls soccer, but that 4th place finish seemed to come out of nowhere. And in three years, Ryan Cumbee has built the wrestling program into a rising power. Lost to the 2A runner up, Washington, in the quarterfinals this year. Also, had three kids place in the individual meet. From what I understand, there was not a senior on the team. They should contend for a state title next year. Not bad work by Coach Cumbee in three short years.

The two that surprise me the most are girls soccer and wrestling. I know nothing about girls soccer, but that 4th place finish seemed to come out of nowhere. And in three years, Ryan Cumbee has built the wrestling program into a rising power. Lost to the 2A runner up, Washington, in the quarterfinals this year. Also, had three kids place in the individual meet. From what I understand, there was not a senior on the team. They should contend for a state title next year. Not bad work by Coach Cumbee in three short years.
The girls soccer team should be very good as well this spring. They return everyone from last year’s 4th place team.

I agree with you and that is what JCA is doing. My "non major" reference was just how these sports tend to be viewed by the general public.
I don't think you are/were alone in with the "non-major" sports opinion at JCA. For many years I think many viewed the school as offering 3 sports-football, baseball and off-season football conditioning.
Fortunately, I think that has changed.

I don't think you are/were alone in with the "non-major" sports opinion at JCA. For many years I think many viewed the school as offering 3 sports-football, baseball and off-season football conditioning.
Fortunately, I think that has changed.

Hillmen hoops win tonight to advance to sectional championship! Will be looking to win their first boys basketball sectional championship in 32 years on Friday.

A few who come to mind.
New Trier
Hinsdale Central
Edwardsville
Montini

I expect royalties from you. My thread is copyrighted! LOL!!

Reactions: USD24
I mentioned most of these in the other thread, but:
Neuqua Valley is always competitive in football and basketball, but very strong in the other sports like baseball, swimming, cheerleading, tennis, golf etc.

Naperville Central is typically the same

Plainfield North won baseball and 2nd in Girls softball in 2018.

Lyons Townships has a hall of trophies that is staggering, although, none of them have that guy kicking a football on top.

Going back decades, some of us may remember a time gone-by when Hinsdale Central was routinely winning state hardware in the "country club" sports of golf, swimming and tennis.

Going back decades, some of us may remember a time gone-by when Hinsdale Central was routinely winning state hardware in the "country club" sports of golf, swimming and tennis.

Days gone by? They are still really good in those sports.

Boys golf has won 7 straight state championships
Boys swimming won a title in 2015
Boys tennis has won 6 out of the last 8 titles

GIrls golf won titles in 2015 & 2016
Girls tennis has won 7 out of the last 10 titles.
The girls swimmers are slacking a little, of their 7 titles, none have come after 1994

Reactions: johnndoe
Lyons Townships has a hall of trophies that is staggering, although, none of them have that guy kicking a football on top.

LT has won 32 athletic state championships, but the vast majority were won before the turn of the century. Just off the top of my head, the ones I recall them winning since 2000 are Baseball in 2011, boys soccer in 2010, boys swimming in 2017, boys water polo in 2015, girls gymnastics in 2013 & 2014 and girls volleyball & water polo in the 2010 season.

LT has won 32 athletic state championships, but the vast majority were won before the turn of the century. Just off the top of my head, the ones I recall them winning since 2000 are Baseball in 2011, boys soccer in 2010, boys swimming in 2017, boys water polo in 2015, girls gymnastics in 2013 & 2014 and girls volleyball & water polo in the 2010 season.
You remember this off the top of your head? I wish I either had your memory or the time you have on your hands. Lol

I feel like since moving to the new building in 1992 WWS has built a fairly solid over all boys and girls sports program. Since '92 they have produced 20 state titles, 9 runner ups and 16 third/ fourth place finishes. Also the school is big enough to mainly play in the largest classes but rarely do they play a school they are actually bigger then enrollment wise.

Now if you want to throw in Speech since its an IHSA event you can add 5 more state titles and 10 runner up trophies since '92

Reactions: USD24
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT