ADVERTISEMENT

All games on NFHS?

kpjasion

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2014
Palatine, IL
So I may be stuck at home Saturday due to a project at work. Are all games supposed to be on NFHS network?

Thought I saw where You Tube, Vimeo, et al are out for the playoffs?

I believe there are some schools that pay for the rights for the first round and put them on their YouTube. The rights get increasingly expensive as the round progress.

Reactions: Googertys Dog
The regular season gates are for the schools the playoffs are for the IHSA, so no You Tube by the school, especially since the IHSA took a huge financial loss in 2020 and early 2021

The system goes down when it rains or when it is exposed to a slight breeze. We'll need a designated tweeter at the game, updating constantly.
Our password is NFHSSUCKS. I’ve seen others on these threads comment that the issues with NFHS come from the schools WiFi abilities not being up to par. Why is it that schools who have done both NFHS and YouTube in the past, the YouTube broadcast is usually free from the constant buffering you get from the NFHS broadcasts? I’m no technology expert by any means, that doesn’t make sense why one would be so good and the other so bad. Seems like the issues are on the NFHS infrastructure abilities in streaming the games.

Reactions: jvp123
So I may be stuck at home Saturday due to a project at work. Are all games supposed to be on NFHS network?

Thought I saw where You Tube, Vimeo, et al are out for the playoffs?
Not sure if every game is covered. I think the home team has to have a media crew usually. I’ll pick you up a whoopercheesie and a superdawg?

Not sure if every game is covered. I think the home team has to have a media crew usually. I’ll pick you up a whoopercheesie and a superdawg?
And a Black Kow please :).

Really hoping I can make it - would like to see Taft's new field and that's my "fams" old "hood". I grew up in Park Ridge, but ALL my aunts and uncles growing up lived somewhere off Nagle between Raven and NW Hwy. Would have half a dozen houses to drive by and see what they look like these days..

And a Black Kow please :).

Really hoping I can make it - would like to see Taft's new field and that's my "fams" old "hood". I grew up in Park Ridge, but ALL my aunts and uncles growing up lived somewhere off Nagle between Raven and NW Hwy. Would have half a dozen houses to drive by and see what they look like these days..
Thank your luck stars your family wanted something better for you and got you out of there. Black Kow is duly noted. Don’t forget the special at the Esquire on Elston. I here rooms are booking quickly. Don’t miss your chance to experience Milwaukee Ave at Halloween.

• Haha
Reactions: kpjasion
Neuqua/Bartlett isn’t listed on the NFHS website. Nothing on NVs Twitter yet so who knows.

Near as I can tell, if the game in the bracket here says "UPCOMING" it'll be on NFHS, and if it has four dots you're SOL..

The system goes down when it rains or when it is exposed to a slight breeze. We'll need a designated tweeter at the game, updating constantly.
Anyone tweeting results of the MC/ Thornwood game, what's your twitter name. If you're attending but not tweeting, please update Edgy. Thanks!

Our password is NFHSSUCKS. I’ve seen others on these threads comment that the issues with NFHS come from the schools WiFi abilities not being up to par. Why is it that schools who have done both NFHS and YouTube in the past, the YouTube broadcast is usually free from the constant buffering you get from the NFHS broadcasts? I’m no technology expert by any means, that doesn’t make sense why one would be so good and the other so bad. Seems like the issues are on the NFHS infrastructure abilities in streaming the games.
I have talked to the JCA streaming expert a few times and he says the same thing, "It's not NFHS that's bad, it's the school's Tech and quality of equipment, etc.". I have no idea, I'm a Tech Dummy.

Oh P.S. at 9:45 am the NFHS is totally off line / broke. Can't log in.

Reactions: MC2023
My friends and family will be watching the game tonight on YouTube...
The games can be streamed on YouTube but it costs a faily small fee for the streaming rights. That fee progressively gets higher as the playoffs head toward the Final game. I think the 1st round only costs like $50-100 for the streaming rights and eventually starts to get as high as $500 by the semi-finals. Don't quote me on that. : )

The games can be streamed on YouTube but it costs a faily small fee for the streaming rights. That fee progressively gets higher as the playoffs head toward the Final game. I think the 1st round only costs like $50-100 for the streaming rights and eventually starts to get as high as $500 by the semi-finals. Don't quote me on that. : )
So these booster clubs can't afford 500 bucks?

I have talked to the JCA streaming expert a few times and he says the same thing, "It's not NFHS that's bad, it's the school's Tech and quality of equipment, etc.". I have no idea, I'm a Tech Dummy.

Oh P.S. at 9:45 am the NFHS is totally off line / broke. Can't log in.
I agree with the JCA streaming expert.

Part of what happens behind the scenes is that there's an upload buffer which is the amount of data that is queued up before it starts transmitting "live" to end users. The larger the buffer, the longer slow or interrupted uploads have to last before they disrupt the stream and cause buffering. The down side is that the larger the buffer, the less "live" the broadcast is.

For YouTube, it's typically 2 minutes but can go up to 4 minutes. The Pixellot events streamed on NFHS also default to 2 minutes but can be set higher. For the manual NFHS broadcasts, I believe the client does 45 seconds.

Reactions: MC2023
the constant buffering

The constant buffering is a bandwidth problem, a problem on the broadcast side, not with your receiver. I don't know if schools are locked in by an NFHS contract, but these are corporate sharks, like hedge funds, who make a minimal investment and extract maximum profits.

The constant buffering is a bandwidth problem, a problem on the broadcast side, not with your receiver. I don't know if schools are locked in by an NFHS contract, but these are corporate sharks, like hedge funds, who make a minimal investment and extract maximum profits.
I'd disagree. NFHS has been installing Pixellot hardware in many schools at zero cost to the schools. Many schools don't have the tech/broadcast clubs or classes to be able to broadcast the events manually. It's a huge investment.

NFHS advertised free cameras but there where some strings involved in that. As they saying goes, “nobody rides for free”. They charge for licensing and then obviously the subscription model has several layers, especially for schools.
Tech support and could not match the demand and while has improved to a point, still is not sufficient for many schools to justify using amd paying for.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT