ADVERTISEMENT

7A Predictions

Probably an unpopular opinion, but SCN doesn't finish anywhere near 8-1 w/o Sturges. They rode Nubin to a 2nd in state when they weren't the second best team in 7A w/o Nubin. They may do the same with Sturges, but they're damn lucky to get a player who is head and shoulders above the rest and can carry a team for a second time.

Without a doubt. Nubin was one of the best suburban players in a long time. Sturges is a phenomenal 2-way player as well, but probably not as dynamic on offense.

However, most folks forgot just how much talent Nubin had around him, especially on O-line and front 7 on defense. This year's SCN is talented, but not at that level.

Reactions: Silver Rain
The last time Carmel Catholic made the playoffs (7A), we pushed StCN hard, almost upsetting them. I believe we were a #24 seed (2016).

Nubin was playing as a Sophomore and you could tell he was going to be really special.

Couldn't find the article, thought I was hallucinating that news. Props to the WN program for fielding another great team this year after losing so many players after last year's title team.

Reactions: Seyton
Against a Normal Comm. team that allowed over 200 points, or a Rockton team that is no where near as strong as they were last year?

Pekin at home over Rockton by double digits Rd2
To play devil's advocate, what strong competition did Pekin play this year?

Reactions: Eringobragh
Without a doubt. Nubin was one of the best suburban players in a long time. Sturges is a phenomenal 2-way player as well, but probably not as dynamic on offense.

However, most folks forgot just how much talent Nubin had around him, especially on O-line and front 7 on defense. This year's SCN is talented, but not at that level.
No team is solid, top to bottom, this year.

The DuKane shows out. Mt. Carmel vs. St. Charles North and Wheaton North vs. Batavia.

Being a Wheaton North alum it's hard for me to say but Batavia over Mount Carmel for the championship.

They lost 27-24 at Wheaton North and 32-31 to St. Charles North.

Interestingly, St. Charles North beat Lake Zurich 21-10. They (SCN) were down to Wheaton North 21-6 before coming back for a 22-21 win.

So maybe Wheaton North can handle Lake Zurich in the second round. It's still a bogus second round game for both schools. The seedings are always unfair because of having to accommodate the weak competition the Collinsvilles, Molines, Pekins and Rocktons of the world play. That said, there's not a lot they can do about it. So... you get out there and play it off. There's no other way.

Good luck to all your schools.

Ok, seeing the draw Pekin got I have them going past the second round now, I’d love to see a
Pekin-Moline semi final game!

Reactions: 309LT
Oh don’t go there. You’ll get a hostile attack from posters if you call-out SOS and overall conference competition.

You made a comment in the Sycamore thread, were called out and debated as is standard practice on a message board, and you view that as a "hostile attack"?
🎻🎻🎻

You made a comment in the Sycamore thread, were called out and debated as is standard practice on a message board, and you view that as a "hostile attack"?
🎻🎻🎻
Yes

Can you supply some tissue with those violins please?!

And it was pure sarcasm if you need help ‘reading a room’ or a message board thread.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: tincup1215
Most intriguing first round games:

1) Collinsville (8-1) vs. Bradley-Bourbon (5-4)
2) St. Rita (7-2) vs Geneva (6-3)
3) Moline (8-1) vs DeKalb (6-3)

I think Geneva is very good. Their QB and RB are excellent and their sophomore receiver is game breaking fast.

Most intriguing first round games:

1) Collinsville (8-1) vs. Bradley-Bourbon (5-4)
2) St. Rita (7-2) vs Geneva (6-3)
3) Moline (8-1) vs DeKalb (6-3)

I think Geneva is very good. Their QB and RB are excellent and their sophomore receiver is game breaking fast.
If the WR from Geneva isn’t the top ranked player in the state his SR year I will be shocked, he is really going to be problem for teams to try and stop the next few years. He is one step to full speed in an instant.

Reactions: Seyton
Round 2 Predictions:
Mt Carmel (Best team in the class but missing Dupree for the playoffs will be tough)

Brother Rice (Collinsvile has a long bus ride and that CCL schedule prepares you for the playoffs)

Hoffman Estates (Revenge win v Elk Grove and now a crazy schedule day on Higgins will propel the Hawks)

St Rita (The Kuska retirement train is not ready to begin just yet)

Batavia (Their schedule has prepared them for this game....the young Hersey QB might not like the way those Batavia QBs will hit him)

Yorkville (The Foxes opened my eyes with a convincing win over Libertville, their only loss is to a 10-0 PM team).

Normal Community (Not really sure about either of these teams. Both had dominate first round wins but I will take the home team.

Lake Zurich (The Bears have not been tested in weeks but they are healthy and their defense is tough. The Falcons have won a lot of games the last 2 years but without their best player I will take Da Bears)

You're right. MC had first and goal in the waning moments and SCN stopped them. They also forced Odeluga to fumble in overtime, giving the the ball--and the game--back to Nubin.
If I remember correctly SCN had 12 men on the field on that winning score. If it wasn’t the winning score it was one of them in the OT periods. Obviously it wasn’t called.

Quarterfinal Predictions

Mt Carmel over Brother Rice. The Caravan are a talented physical football team. This one will not be as close as Week 6.

St Rita over St Charles North. The Mustangs keep send Coach Kuska into the Semifinals where he gets one last crack at the Caravan.

Batavia over Yorkville. The Bulldogs are battletested and experienced. Though were their coaches looking ahead checking out the Lake Zurich v Wheaton North game on Saturday?

Lake Zurich over Pekin. Pekins Cinderella story comes to an end. Lake Zurich might have the best defense in the state that no one talks about. 85 points in 11 games/7.8 per game.

Lol, you must live somewhere off of Euclid and Rand Rd. I also am a MSL alum from Hersey. Sadly these teams don't stress defense enough to be successful this time of year. Hersey unfortunately, will most likely be traveling to Batavia in round 2 and that should be a problem. While Coach Nelson has put together the best defense we have seen there in school history it hasn't played anyone good enough outside of Prospect to really test their mettle. No shot in hell LZ gets past Wheaton North in round 2. I have been saying all year LZ doesn't have enough to beat good teams in a win or go home scenario and I will be proven correct in 2 weeks. Mt. Carmel shouldn't even be tested on their road to a title sadly. That's a whole different argument/thread in itself
Doesn't seem you know your business...too many wrong assumptions here.

The DuKane shows out. Mt. Carmel vs. St. Charles North and Wheaton North vs. Batavia.

Being a Wheaton North alum it's hard for me to say but Batavia over Mount Carmel for the championship.

They lost 27-24 at Wheaton North and 32-31 to St. Charles North.

Interestingly, St. Charles North beat Lake Zurich 21-10. They (SCN) were down to Wheaton North 21-6 before coming back for a 22-21 win.

So maybe Wheaton North can handle Lake Zurich in the second round. It's still a bogus second round game for both schools. The seedings are always unfair because of having to accommodate the weak competition the Collinsvilles, Molines, Pekins and Rocktons of the world play. That said, there's not a lot they can do about it. So... you get out there and play it off. There's no other way.

Good luck to all your schools.
Bump.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT