ADVERTISEMENT

7 on 7/training academies

Schwab54

Nov 13, 2016
What’s the rule on H.S coaches running/being a part of 7 on 7 teams, training centers, and coaching youth football? Seems like there are more and more coaches doing this and thought this was illegal in the past.

Don Beebe is out at Aurora Christian. This was his first year not involved with the program and last month accepted the Head Coach position at Aurora University.

I can’t imagine training kids as a job would be!Being a head coach in both Hs and youth is probably not allowed.

What’s the rule on H.S coaches running/being a part of 7 on 7 teams, training centers, and coaching youth football? Seems like there are more and more coaches doing this and thought this was illegal in the past.

It's a pretty good question actually and I'll try to see what I can find out....

It's a pretty good question actually and I'll try to see what I can find out....
How can it be illegal when there's so many doing it. That and coaching HS and Youth leagues not only 7v7.

How can it be illegal when there's so many doing it. That and coaching HS and Youth leagues not only 7v7.

Plenty of illegal things have happened for a few years, at some point they get caught and they have to change the way they’re operating.

If there isn’t anything in place yet, there will be something coming down the line. 7v7 and skill specific training is a growing trend and many of the top recruits in the area, skill guys and linemen have been taking full advantage these outlets for a while now. Example- LA’s two D1 commits on D this year have been going to the same place for a couple years now during the off season. They’ve been able to get in some good work and competition with other top tier athletes in the area during the winter and spring. Regardless of whether a kid is D1 or D3, I don’t see the trend slowing down because people see this stuff as an opportunity to get better and possibly get some exposure if they are prepared to do well at camps in the summer.

Having more involvement from HS coaches that know what they’re doing would only help the development of the players and the credibility of some of these training programs.

I believe the rule for hoops is a coach on a HS staff at any level can’t coach more than 3 players from his HS program in AAU or train more than 3 in the same training session. I could see something like that being the rule for 7v7 and football training.

Generally speaking if the coach is affiliated with a program not involved with the school, there is no mandate to choose the program, the program is open to all, and the kids/families pay fees to use complex/instruction, then there is no infraction. This has happened in baseball for decades.

Reactions: LAguy
Generally speaking if the coach is affiliated with a program not involved with the school, there is no mandate to choose the program, the program is open to all, and the kids/families pay fees to use complex/instruction, then there is no infraction. This has happened in baseball for decades.

So as a coach I can start running the Schwab training academy and as long as I don’t tell my kids they have to come, I can run football training year round? But if I don’t have a training academy I can’t bring a football around?

So as a coach I can start running the Schwab training academy and as long as I don’t tell my kids they have to come, I can run football training year round? But if I don’t have a training academy I can’t bring a football around?
Bring a football around where? Your HS or indoor facility specifically for your kids, like voluntary workouts? Yes, I doubt that flies with the IHSA, if you are a coach.

Is this a question of whether you should be able to train kids from any program or just your program?

Bring a football around where? Your HS or indoor facility specifically for your kids, like voluntary workouts? Yes, I doubt that flies with the IHSA, if you are a coach.

Is this a question of whether you should be able to train kids from any program or just your program?

This is from the IHSA by-laws

Q. May a high school coach serve as a non-school club administrator who doesn’t coach an individual team in the club when the number of participants in the club from his/her school exceeds one half the number of players needed to field a team in actual IHSA state series competition? A. No. During the school term a coach may not be involved “in any respect” with a non-school club program when the number of players from his/her school exceeds one half the number of players needed to field a team in actual IHSA state series competition (By-law 3.107).

My understanding is a coach can train a kid from his program in the off season. However, if it in a group session, the number of players from his school participating cannot exceed five. So he can hold workouts in off season, just no more than 5 kids from his school can be there at the same time.

It goes on all the time in baseball. Players take individual lessons in the off season from a coach in their program.

Reactions: LAguy
This is from the IHSA by-laws

Q. May a high school coach serve as a non-school club administrator who doesn’t coach an individual team in the club when the number of participants in the club from his/her school exceeds one half the number of players needed to field a team in actual IHSA state series competition? A. No. During the school term a coach may not be involved “in any respect” with a non-school club program when the number of players from his/her school exceeds one half the number of players needed to field a team in actual IHSA state series competition (By-law 3.107).

My understanding is a coach can train a kid from his program in the off season. However, if it in a group session, the number of players from his school participating cannot exceed five. So he can hold workouts in off season, just no more than 5 kids from his school can be there at the same time.

It goes on all the time in baseball. Players take individual lessons in the off season from a coach in their program.

It makes sense that this would apply to all sports. I wasn’t sure if the number for hoops was 2 or 3 but I was always under the impression it was 3 players. 5 seems reasonable for football. I get the competitive advantage/unsanctioned practice concern.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT