ADVERTISEMENT

5 Thoughts from Tuesday Night's Naperville North 7on7

EdgyTim

Staff
May 29, 2001
Channahon Illinois
Last night I was out at Naperville North as the Huskies hold a weekly 7on7 gathering for 7 other teams each week in June. Last night featured the host team Naperville North along with Neuqua Valley, Metea Valley, Glenbard West, Downers Grove South, Lockport, Lincoln Way East and Waubonsie Valley. Each team was able to play in four separate 20 minute running clock games and overall the field here I felt was pretty strong. Below are just 5 thoughts and observations from last night's Team 7on7.

Lincoln Way East just reloads again and will be a state title contender- The Griffins just do what they do at these events with very little flash or fan fair. The Griffins and head coach Rob Zvonar (sporting all gray hair this summer) have talent at every spot along with depth and numbers. East runs it's offense at these 7on7's with military precision and just try hard to get in as many reps as possible while also just simply running it's every day offense...including various screens, swing passes etc. The East offense will have several key names on the rise including QB Chase Arthur who took a large amount of the reps here and in my mind is no question the top QB here for the Griffins. Senior WR Jayden Cook looks the part and has the chance to become a big time play maker and a big play threat along with again a very deep group of receivers and backs. Also keep an eye on sophomore TE/WR Trey Zvonar (6-foot-3, 190 pounds) who no question will become a name to watch over the next few seasons (and yes Zvonar is the son of LWE HC Rob Zvonar). The East defense? Again this is 7on7 so you are always limited in seeing just how effective they will be once it counts but the overall speed, athletic ability and execution is also impressive here.

Glenbard West could be back to returning to glory-
Ok so I'm stealing the 2022 Hitters catch phase a bit here in Return to Glory....but what I saw last night from the Hitters was impressive. The West offense again like other teams at this 7on7 starts and ends with the run game....but the play action passing game will be strong in 2022, Senior QB Korey Tai throws a a really strong ball, shows much improved touch and his combination of arm talent and running ability will be a load for opposing teams to slow down this fall. Tai and the Hitters remaining backs and receivers are also a strength and two way standout Joey Pope is a do it all athlete who just seems to make big catch after big catch. The West defense is always a strength and the Hitter have a very solid group of linebackers and a secondary with plenty of speed and ability. Mix in what I believe will be a big and experienced running game/offensive line and this Hitter will be a force again in the WSC and beyond.

Naperville North QB Aidan Gay to WR Luke Williams will be hard to stop this fall- Aidan Gray, who has been committed to Northwestern for several months now is already a well known entity for the Huskies along with on the rise junior WR Luke Williams. Yet seeing the overall connection between these two in person as opposed to on video is eye opening to say the least. Gray is able to make every required throw and Williams just has the instincts, body control, hands and explosiveness to catch pretty much everything thrown in his area code this coming season. North also has several additional solid backs and receivers, but the go to guy will be Luke Williams for the Huskies and QB Aidan Gray in 2022.

Neuqua Valley QB Mark Mennecke and WR Grant Larkin will also be hard to stop- The connection between Neuqua Valley's QB Mark Mennecke and WR/S Grant Larkin (NDSU) is as equally as strong as the connection between the Naperville North QB/WR and was on full display here. The Wildcats head coach Bill Ellinghaus is working on getting everyone involved in the passing game, but also realizes that when a big play or gain is needed, look for NV to look towards Mennecke to Larkin. Mark Mennecke is a lefty gunslinger who just makes good throws and has enough swagger and river boat gambler in him to make some big time throws when things break down.

Do not overlook Lockport this fall- The Porters won the 2021 Class 8A state title and graduated several key starters on both sides of the ball, so automatically the Porters will be down....right? No. Lockport and head coach George Czart will never really show everything they plan to do in a 7on7, and the run game and line play is always a big part of the offense. Yet I saw a Porters squad with good overall numbers, had 2-3 different quarterbacks who are all capable of making a push to become the starter and plenty of talent and depth at several positions. Lockport's defense is also well schooled, always runs well to the football and also has talent, numbers and depth. The Porters will again play in a rough conference in the SWSB this fall, and while I don't see them going 9-0/8-1, this will be a Porters team that will get better each week and make a run towards a post-season spot and a team that will be much more dangerous in Week 9 compared to Week 1.

EDGYTIM's in order Top Teams at this event?

1. Lincoln Way East
2. Glenbard West
3. Neuqua Valley
3. Naperville North

4. Lockport
5. Downers Grove South
6. Waubonsie Valley
7. Metea Valley

Reactions: NapervilleBuck
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards