ADVERTISEMENT

5 Questions for the 2020 West Suburban Silver

EdgyTim

Staff
May 29, 2001
Channahon Illinois
5 Questions for the 2020 West Suburban Silver

Will 2020 be a better overall post-season showing for the West Suburban Silver?

Let's face it the last few seasons in the West Suburban Silver haven't been memorable years, especially from the post-season perspective. Glenbard West lost to Loyola in the second round...while DGN also lost in Round 2 while Hinsdale Central lost in Round 1. The same can be said from 2018 when all three state playoff teams (GBW/Hins C/OPRF) lost in second round action. 2020 you ask? Both Glenbard West and Hinsdale Central have returning talent back. York keeps making positive strides while OPRF has talent again and could be ready for a breakout while DGN also has been teetering on becoming a consistent winner. Keep an eye on some of the early non conference games in the Silver as an indicator of how things could shake out for the Silver this fall.

Which middle of the pack teams in the 2019 Silver standings can rise in 2020?

Again both Glenbard West and Hinsdale Central I'm considering as the top two teams to beat here based off of the 2019 records. That leaves DGN, York, OPRF and Lyons as teams who I feel fit the description here. So which program will rise in 2020? DGN and head coach Joe Horeni brings back 8 starters (5 defense) and has some reloading to do on offense. York and head coach Mike Fitzgerald is getting closer to a breakout season and with 12 starters back in 2020 (6 offense 6 defense) the Dukes could be that breakout team if they can reload on the offensive line. OPRF and head coach John Hoerster will rely on experienced starters such as QB Jaden McGill plus LB Naahlyee Bryant (WMU) plus DB/WR Jalen Burton (SIU) and the Huskies always have talent in house year in and year out. Lyons made some progress in Dan Hartman's first year and will look towards a younger group back with varsity experience to lead the way in 2020. So which team breaks out? I'll say either OPRF and/or York.

Who could be the West Suburban Silver MVP in 2020?

Hmmmm. In my mind this isn't a given for 2020. Glenbard West will again run the football and play tough as heck defense so maybe a player like RB Samson Zander or RB Jalen Moore while someone like two way starter TE/DE Denin Limouris is another name to consider. Hinsdale Central has a big time signal caller in senior QB Michael Brescia who is primed for another big season in 2020. OPRF senior QB Jaden McGill will also play defense and will be a big key for the Huskies in 2020. Others to consider? York senior RB/LB Patrick Kastner, DGN LB Drew Bielawski and Lyons junior WR Trell Harris.

Is Glenbard West the favorite to win the 2020 West Suburban Silver?

Yep. The Hitters welcome back 12 starters from a season ago, have one of the top backfields in the state with RB Samson Zander and RB Jalen Moore, a solid quarterback in Branden Spiech plus an offensive line anchored by Syracuse commit Wes Hoeh and several keys including TE/DE Denin Limouris. The Hitters defense is always a strength and also brings back 6 starters from a season ago and has experience back in the defensive front seven. Others in the Silver can and will challenge...but this is still the Hitters conference in my opinion until otherwise proven differently.

Toughest non conference regular season game for each West Suburban Silver school in 2020?

DGN
- Week 9 at Downers Grove South. Why? Because it's North versus South... that's why.

York- Week 7 versus Willowbrook. The Warriors have some questions and holes to fill for 2020 but no one questions the overall toughness of the Willowbrook kids and program. A win over the Warriors in Week 7 would speak volumes for York I believe.

Glenbard West- Week 1 at Maine South. Easily one of the top non conference matchups week in and week out.

Proviso West- Week 2 at Hinsdale South. The Hornets are generally a tough game for all comers.

Hinsdale Central- Week 1 at Naperville Central. This matchup just always feels/seems like a natural rivalry game in my eyes even if they don't always play. A great measuring stick game early for sure.

Lyons- Week 1 versus New Trier. The Trevians are always very solid and this is a good first game of the season.

OPRF- Pretty much a push between either Week 1 at WWS or Week 2 versus Willowbrook. Both could end up being big games in 2020 for the Huskies.

Reactions: WBWarriorWatcher
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News