ADVERTISEMENT

4A Game - All-Time Great Ken Leonard Gets the win 44-20

SHG has had opportunities to put it away early. Door has been left open for PC to start the second half. They are dangerous here.

Surprised to see so much deep ball throw it up from SHG. With their edge athletes I’d expect to see more slant game and maybe some QB runs in the second half.
Also, PC has not really stopped either SHG RB, Jackson and Sanders.

Reactions: net-se and RockSoup
El Paso and Gridley were 2 separate school districts when Ken started coaching at Gridley.

Reactions: net-se
If Providence wins the title it will be an extra impressive playoff run considering they (at 5-4) had to knock off Wheaton Academy (8-1), Joliet Catholic (8-2), Richard Burton (11-0), and Wheaton St. Francis (11-1).
Providence played mostly 7A schools in the regular season. Playing down against 5A teams in the playoffs/final isn’t that impressive, I actually thought they would be here and if they lose well that would be a shock. I give SHG big time credit to be putting it to the Celtics.

If Providence wins the title it will be an extra impressive playoff run considering they (at 5-4) had to knock off Wheaton Academy (8-1), Joliet Catholic (8-2), Richard Burton (11-0), and Wheaton St. Francis (11-1) just to face SHG.
Be careful what you say, some say they shouldn't have even been in the playoffs. Do we still we want to go back to 6 classes?

Providence played mostly 7A schools in the regular season. Playing down against 5A teams in the playoffs/final isn’t that impressive, I actually thought they would be here and if they lose well that would be a shock. I give SHG big time credit to be putting it to the Celtics.
That is not accurate. This season PC played 1 8A school, 2 7A schools, 1 5A school, 2 4A schools and 2 3A schools.

Actually 4a teams, not 5a.

Wow 47 yarder. That kicker is incredible... that would've been good from 55. starting to get out of hand.. SHG pulling away, and pulling away quick... the speed difference between these teams is large. SHG's WR's have been open all night over the top.

Extremely impressive performance by SHG. Did anyone see a blowout coming?

Another Catholic school win! :)
Indeed a real good showing by SHG. Happy for Leonard and those seniors who ran into an immovable JC last year in a bad luck title game draw. Happy for them. They seem like classy kids.

PC showed how I thought they would in the first half. The discipline and effort were uncharacteristically lacking in the second half. Part of that was SHG’s doing. Part self inflicted. They will be back next year.

Providence players following their coach in letting emotions get the best of them. Hoping things cool down and this game finishes without incident.
Agreed. Those 2 personal fouls/unsportsmanlike's back to back opened it up for SHG. Back to back drives starting inside the 25... granted they had some big special teams plays this post season and gambled numerous times and it paid off. But only down 28-14 and faking it from your own 30 is a questionable call imo. But congrats to SHG. And congrats to KL on a great career. And congrats to PC on a great postseason as well!

Agreed. Those 2 personal fouls/unsportsmanlike's back to back opened it up for SHG. Back to back drives starting inside the 25... granted they had some big special teams plays this post season and gambled numerous times and it paid off. But only down 28-14 and faking it from your own 30 is a questionable call imo. But congrats to SHG. And congrats to KL on a great career. And congrats to PC on a great postseason as well!
Totally agree that you can’t fake it there. That was a case of special teams coming through big all postseason and going back to the well one too many times and depending on a big ST play.

Punt and see if your defense can keep you in it for one more drive.

Reactions: net-se
Totally agree that you can’t fake it there. That was a case of special teams coming through big all postseason and going back to the well one too many times and depending on a big ST play.

Punt and see if your defense can keep you in it for one more drive.
Yep. Only down 14, punt it away. Also sends a desperate message to the kids, when you're only down 2 scores, and you are backed up on your end of the field. Like you said, they went to the well 1 too many times. The Providence defense played decent to start the game, once SHG started making PC's linebackers and safety's cover in space, and screened off the blitz that's when the speed difference showed.

Reactions: net-se and cigaros
We played Provi my senior year - all we were told was that they were a Chicago Wrestling Factory - tough kids.

Saturday night game - we shared a stadium with Belleville East and West and rarely got Fridays as the Catholic school. That morning, at the all-you-can-eat at the Ponderosa for breakfast with some teamates - I saw a pair of Provi parents eating breakfast.

Three things stood out - they did not make the same-day drive for a night game - that takes money - that stood out to me. All four were wearing Provi gear - what? This was 1990 and that type of stuff was not happening in Belleville, especially for Moms. Lastly, I nodded and tipped my cap as I passed their table coming back from the buffet - and I was not acknowledged. I was wearing gear and obviously knew why they were in my town.

Eff You.

Whipped that tail 35-0 and sent them a long bus ride home.
Not sure I understand your share other than they didn’t acknowledge your tip of hat…

The great Hickey Thompson (so?) lead that team @ Althoff… he was among the best in the history of the game. PC knew what they were taking on and NOT overlooking them or their HOF Coach. They ran an offense that no one up north ever saw. M

Yep. We went home with a whooping; heads held high though because the future was gonna be bright… lucky ya didn’t get a rematch the very next year…. It woulda been a Running clock on you and we woulda made the ride home much quicker.

Sorry. They didn’t acknowledge you. I will say something to my parents and blame the beating on them

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT