ADVERTISEMENT

4A CHAMPIONSHIP: NAPERVILLE CENTRAL 10 ST.RITA 4 *FINAL*

MIKEFTB

Jul 7, 2001
Bolingbrook IL
After taking a 4-0 lead into the bottom of the 4th, Rita comes back to tie it up, but the Redhawks explode in the top of the 5th with a 5 run 6 hit output chasing Mustang starting P Anthony Andres who was taged for 8 runs, 5 of which were earned and 7 hits over 4 and 1/3 innings. The St Rita defense was not much help giving up 3 errors in the first 4 innings.

Central starting P Shane Conlon the former St Rita hurler, outside of a shakey 4th inning that saw hime yield 4 runs on 4 hits after holding Rita hitless through 3, was flawless from there giving up only 1 hit in the last 3 innings and on the night gave up 4 runs on 5 hits striking out 10 and walking 2. He threw 113 pitches 74 which were strikes. The highly heralded transfer finishes with a perfect 12-0 record.

Central RF Mason Hallett and 1B Bobby Czarnowski each had 2 hits with Hallett crossing the plate 3 times. For the game, the Redhawks lit up Mustangs pitching for 10 runs on 12 hits. Anthony Zawaski, and Mark Payton each had 1 hit and 2 RBIs for the Mustangs.

The Mustangs Joey Filomeno worked the last 2 innings and gave up only 1 hit and no runs...

It was an impressive performance to say the least for Naperville Central who win their 2nd state title in school history and finish with a record of 38-4 which is a new school record. St.Rita finishes 32-10

Congratulations to Coach Bill Seiple who has now won 690 games as the Redhawks longtime Skipper....

The 4A 3rd place game went to the Stevenson Patriots in a 5-0 win over the Huntley Red Raiders which was called after 3 innings, The game was declared complete after a 1:30 rain and lightning delay. Kyle Ruchim picked up the win for the Pats giving up no hits.1B Patrick Wilson drove in 2 runs for Stevenson who finish the season 36-4. Huntley which came on strong in post season finished with a record of 29-12.

In Girl's softball Sandburg knocked off Fremd 2-1, The Lady Eagles put 2 on the board in the 1st and held off Fremd in the top of the 7th after the Lady Vikings RF Alexa Cinquegrani homered off of Sandburg P Brit Gardner. Fremd would get 2 more runners on, but time would run out on the Vikings as Gardner got Lady Vikings C Kristine Werling to ground out, and the Carl Sandburg Lady Eagles out of Orland Park capture their 1st ever softball state championship after one 2nd place finish, three 3rd place, and three 4th place finishes, and close out the season with a record of 40-2. Fremd who finished 3rd last season finish with a record of 33-5

In the 3A title game it was the Lady Redbirds of Metamora (39-1) knocking off the Trinity Blazers (34-6) of River Forest 4-2.

It's too bad the weather caused havoc, but that's the way it goes...and so the book is closed on the 2009-10 IHSA sports year..

MIKEFTB
This post was edited on 6/12 11:06 PM by MIKEFTB

Maybe Rita can go out and win another one of those Summer titles and put it on back of a T-shirt and pretend it means something.

The true differance in the game was Shane Conlon. If he's still pitching for Rita then the trophy is in their case. Shoulda never happend.

Too Bad so sad.

Muskin: Fill me in. Why did Conlon leave SR?

As for the summer season importance, tell some of these High School Coaches it doesn't mean anything.

Conlon's dad was AD at Rita last year. This year he was back in the classroom and Zunica is now the AD at Rita. Don't know for sure but I am going to go out on a limb and say the son transferring and the dad no longer being AD are not a coincidence.

The nail has just been pounded into the wall, my friends. Congrats to the DVC and the Naperville Central Redhawks for winning the state title.

I do think the summer titles mean something; definitely gives the teams confidence going into the spring.

As a died in the wool Redhawks fan with a kid on the team, I have to tip my cap to the three classy acts I saw and heard about from the St. Rita fans. There may have been more, but these are the only ones I know abaout.

1. When Shane Conlon was announced in the starting line up and before each of his at bats, there was not one boo. Not one.

2. Near the end of the game when the outcome was no longer in doubt, an unknown St. St. Rita fan approached my wife and asked if she was Colleen Conlon, Shane's mom. This fan did not know who Colleen was. When informed that my wife was not Colleen, and we could not see Colleen anywhere, the comment was made "I just want you to know that there are a whole lot of St. Rita fans secretly rooting for Shane." What class!!

3. Then long after the game was over, and the Central fans were going back to their cars, Bob Conlon (Shane's dad) almost got to his car when he noticed that the father of SR starting pitcher was waiting for him at his car. This guy had to be waiting 30-45 minutes to make sure he spoke with Bob. He waited all that time to congratulate him! That is total class!

Good post Redhawk Fan... I thought Shane Conlon showed a lot of class with his comments in the newspapers. He spoke of winning the game for his late grandfather. It would have been easy for the kid to gloat a bit, but he chose to take the high road.
The entire Redhawk team showed total class from the first to the last pitch of the game.

Congrats to Naperville Central on their great season and well deserved title.

Just asking.... Anybody have any thoughts on Payton's homerun after the umpire called time out. The homeplate umpire overruled the 2nd base ump and allowed the H.R.to count. I thought the home plate umpire made a fair ruling, but not too sure.

Not being privy to the conversation, I would venture to guess, the plate umpire (who in the final is always the senior official) took charge of the situation. I personnelly believe he did the right thing.

No way that homer should have counted. Sorry time out is time out. Anything that happens after that does not count. Read the Chicago Tribune article on the subject. When the Chicago Tribune writes an separate article on how the officials blew a call at a high school sporting event, you know it was a bad call.

And yes Shane Conlon is all class, a great kid.
This post was edited on 6/14 6:27 PM by Redhawks fan
This post was edited on 6/18 1:18 PM by Redhawks fan

I was under the impression that it wasn't sure exaclty when time out was called. If it was so clear as the tribune says then the umps blew it. Even the article says the plate ump felt that Conlon had started his delivery. I guess we will never know for sure

Because everything you read in the paper is always right? And what are you implying by saying that Payton didn't use that bat again after hitting a homerun? Implying anything that can be perceived as negative toward the best player in the state is quite a stretch!

Count off ten seconds on a stopwatch and let me know if you want to rethink that statement.

Come on Redhawk Bob, you're better than that to make that ridiculous of a statement, aren't you?

10 seconds !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You have got to be kidding ! If it was 10 seconds everyone in the stadium would have seen it,and the base umpire could have walked to the plate to let the home plate umpire know it before the pitch.

Originally posted by ref2:
10 seconds !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You have got to be kidding ! If it was 10 seconds everyone in the stadium would have seen it,and the base umpire could have walked to the plate to let the home plate umpire know it before the pitch.
ref2 Correct me if I am wrong. The pitcher starts his motion and the batter asks for time. 99% percent of the time the home plate ump will not call time in order to protect pitchers from getting hurt by trying to stop the pitch in full motion. Is that the intent?

I was at the game and had tunnel vision going on the pitcher, batter, catcher, and home plate ump so I never saw this 10 second time out and neither did the batter catcher or ump.

To any realistic attendee at the game did you folks think that the home plate ump let the NC coach go on a little too long yelling after the play? I think the did a heck of a job controlling the game but the coach did violate his personal zone for good minute and a half and had his finger just a few inches away from his face the whole time. This group of officials were head and shoulders above last years crew. And why will the IHSA not spring for 4 umps for the last two games?
This post was edited on 6/19 6:27 PM by tomloner

The reason the ump let Seiple have his say is because the ump knew Seiple was right! This is what umps do when they know they have blown a call.
This post was edited on 6/20 9:05 AM by Redhawks fan

Originally posted by Redhawks fan:
The reason the ump let Seiple have his say is because the ump knew Seiple was right! This is what umps do when they know they have blown a call.

This post was edited on 6/20 9:05 AM by Redhawks fan
Delusional response. Almost as absurd as the 10 seconds!

I've still got got something in my craw about this lovely comment posted in a regional newspaper after the game:

"Payback is sweet and the Conlon family is really enjoying this victory. The win was a statement and those involved know exactly how deep the emotions were running in this game. The old saying "cheater's proof" is applicable for this scenario.

The bat incident was a bit too dramatic and fired up the Naperville kids. The attempt to intimidate the Naperville kids backfired. Public schools don't get scared when these private schools (with every player recruited to play) try to use thuggery to get the mental advantage over an opponent.

It's too bad a kid like Payton and a couple of others with some class are brought down by some bad seeds.

Nobody remembers who finishes second in any title game in any sport.

Conlon family....justice has been served."

What newspaper was that in?

Just for the record, as you can imangine there were several Central parents partying (along with the trophy) at a local water hole in Naperville well past midnight after the game. One of the celebrants was Bob Conlon. He was proud as a peacock, deservidly so, but he never uttered one negative word about St. Rita. Not once.

Can someone explain to me what happened with "Batgate?" Did the Redhawk catcher hold onto it, provoking a SR player to take things into his own hands and take the bat away?

The second question is the only version of the story I've heard. Is it accurate?

Giaour: there are idiots everywhere, as the above-mentioned commentor has proven.

+1. There are some umpires out there who will allow the manager to blow off his steam, happens in the Majors a lot, unless the line has been crossed. Don't know 'bout this situation, though.

Sorry Red hawks fan, but CFD and the others are right. Your school won the damn championship! It's time to let it go!

I wonder how you would've reacted if your beloved lost!?

And again, congrats to Naperville Central.

We have all seen sore losers on the football side of the board, but I do not think I have ever seen such a sore winner. !
mad.gif
Everyone else seems to be taking the high road here.

I am happy for Shane. I did not see any of the spring games due to rehab of a new knee but did see him win the summer league final. Just think if he had transferred from NC to SR he would have been ineligible for a year.

Good luck to ALL of the kids going to college even those who will never play again. Lets start thinking football now!
smilie1.gif

This post was edited on 6/21 10:23 AM by CCLGUY1964

Naperville Central felt that the bat that was used to hit the homer was illegal. Ryan Walsh (NC catcher) was holding the bat waiting for the umps to decide if the home run would stand. He was then going to show the umps why Central thougth the bat was illegal (flat spot on the barralel) An un named St. Rita player came from behind and ripped the bat out of Ryan's hands and that bat got back into the Rita dugout faster than greased lightning.

Few people in the stands saw what was going on because everyone's attention was on the umpires between second and third deciding if they were going to let the homer stand.

Was the bat illegal? We'll never know for sure because Payton used a different bat the next time he came up.

Sorry St. Rita fans, the above story is 100% true, I saw it for myself and talked to some of the participants.

Here I thought that you were delusional. Now I figured it out. Your Mrs. Redhawks Fan and have to get the last word in. That explains everything.

Just let it go.

From all accounts you have a great bunch of kids there in yuppieville. Don’t ruin it by being obsessive.
This post was edited on 6/21 5:36 PM by SOUTHSIDECFD

Originally posted by SOUTHSIDECFD:
there in yuppieville.

What is in the water out there? Naperville woman charged with DUI, driving 101 mph; Naperville Day-Care Operator Charged With Prostitution; 19-year-old Naperville man held up a pizza restaurant at gunpoint; Drunken, naked stranger arrested in Naperville couple’s hot tub...

SSidecfd: I agree that 10 seconds is ridiculus but as far as allowing Seiple to argue because the ump knew he made a mistake being delusional... Im not so sure.

I think the ump wanted to get call "right" Kid pitches the ball... Batter hits it out... Batter deserves H.R. I know its not technically right but just seems like the right thing to do. Keep in mind that this call was made only a few days after Detroit Tiger pitcher was robbed of perfect game.
B.T.W. Payton quoted in newspaper as saying he knew time out was called.

You may be 100% right. I defer to those RATIONAL people who were at the game. Just stirring the pot to get a repsonse from an obsessive compulsive (now known as 10 seconds).

Naperville Central felt that the bat that was used to hit the homer was illegal. An un named St. Rita player came from behind and ripped the bat out of Ryan's hands and that bat got back into the Rita dugout faster than greased lightning.

The un-named player was no ordinary Joe....that was Joey Filomeno......why didn't the NC player just rip the bat right back away from him?

Ahhhh., the reason my have been that Joey is 6ft tall and weighs about 240lbs. If SR is lucky, he will be back (after not playing Jr. year) at nose guard this year for the football team.

And, the bat was available for inspection. Joey placed it on the grassy knoll. Have you considered......there may have been a 2nd batsmen in this conspiracy?

The bat is here for all to inspect

back (after not playing Jr. year) at nose guard this year

I hear otherwise, but last year he changed his mind late in the summer, so we'll see.
This post was edited on 6/22 2:57 PM by giaour

Originally posted by cpachicagosteve:

Naperville Central felt that the bat that was used to hit the homer was illegal. An un named St. Rita player came from behind and ripped the bat out of Ryan's hands and that bat got back into the Rita dugout faster than greased lightning.

The un-named player was no ordinary Joe....that was Joey Filomeno......why didn't the NC player just rip the bat right back away from him?

Ahhhh., the reason my have been that Joey is 6ft tall and weighs about 240lbs. If SR is lucky, he will be back (after not playing Jr. year) at nose guard this year for the football team.

And, the bat was available for inspection. Joey placed it on the grassy knoll. Have you considered......there may have been a 2nd batsmen in this conspiracy?
Priceless!!!!!! Still laughing. How's the kid's kick career going?

WOW!!! That's a great amount of knowledge that Redhawk Fan has about high school baseball, isn't it? Particularly about the two teams being discussed here, coincidence? ironic? Just wondering what type of backgroung he has in athletics? Is he a former coach? a former college player? a former professional player? or a former high school A.D.??? With all of this he said she said, I heard from this guy or that guy, who is he really? Or was he really at the game? Is he afraid to be called out for what or who he really might be, a coward, a cry baby, or maybe even a thief? Only some of us really know!

What newspaper was that in?

Just for the record, as you can imangine there were several Central parents partying (along with the trophy) at a local water hole in Naperville well past midnight after the game. One of the celebrants was Bob Conlon. He was proud as a peacock, deservidly so, but he never uttered one negative word about St. Rita. Not once.

THIS WHAT I FOUND IN TODAY'S NEWSPAPER:

Naperville leads Chicago area in DUI arrests

Originally posted by tomloner: THIS WHAT I FOUND IN TODAY'S NEWSPAPER:

In their defense, Naperville has a nice trap range that's open to the public.

Yes I agree if he starts he finishes. I was also at the game and I did not see the time out called , but my friend did. He said it was borderline about when. I can tell you for sure it was not 10 seconds.

Now to put and end to "bat gate" the bats are checked before the game, and any bat that comes up during the game as flat or damaged would be considered as happening during normal game use ,it would then be tossed out and no ejection. So if Mr Payton's bat was found flat, it would have been removed and he would not be ejected. Not a big deal.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT