ADVERTISEMENT

40 and 25 second play clocks?

Soon as the morning lay is whistled dead, the 40 second clock starts. At least that’s how I’ve interpreted it

Reactions: ssczar76
Watch college football this weekend and that’s pretty much it with maybe just a little more delay.

40 second starts soon as play is over. 25 play clock is used after timeouts and penalties.

Biggest thing with this is you can now kneel out with a little over 2 minutes left instead of about 1:20 left.

Play clock starts at 40:
  • dead ball inbounds
  • dead ball out of bounds
  • incomplete pass
  • first down
  • double change of possession
Play clock starts at 25:
  • penalty administration
  • team timeout
  • injury/helmet off
  • measurement
  • change of possession
  • touchdown
  • extra point, FG, safety
  • start of each quarter, OT
  • kick
  • other stoppages (inadvertent whistle, untimed down, etc)

Play clock starts at 40:
  • dead ball inbounds
  • dead ball out of bounds
  • incomplete pass
  • first down
  • double change of possession
Play clock starts at 25:
  • penalty administration
  • team timeout
  • injury/helmet off
  • measurement
  • change of possession
  • touchdown
  • extra point, FG, safety
  • start of each quarter, OT
  • kick
  • other stoppages (inadvertent whistle, untimed down, etc)

I’m thinking there is going to be a lot of early delay of game penalties with coaches not getting plays in fast enough. I would bet more often than not most refs did not usually put the ball in play within 15 seconds of the prior play ending and with most schools not having a visual play clock and the coaches not having the visual of a referee winding the clock with their arm after the ball is reset they will get caught up in the game and lose track of how much time they have. Some would be smart to have a low level assistant near the play caller who watches for the official to raise his arm starting the play clock at the end of the prior play and have a stop watch so he can give a 20 second warning or something. Won’t be as much of an issue if the school has play clocks because everyone is then on the same page about where the play clock stands.

Oh now it's all perfectly clear. o_O (Insert huge sarcasm here.)

It was never hard to follow in the first place, especially if you watch college football. The most important info in the video to me was exactly what you could look for as an indicator of the clock starting and it is the officials raised hand after the play which will usually double as him indicating the down as well. I think it’s safe to assume that on fields without play clocks the back judge will still raise his hand and do a count down as the expiration of the clock nears.

When it’s a 25 second clock situation you will know it because that will be when you see the referee signal the play clock in the traditional manner.

It was never hard to follow in the first place, especially if you watch college football. The most important info in the video to me was exactly what you could look for as an indicator of the clock starting and it is the officials raised hand after the play which will usually double as him indicating the down as well. I think it’s safe to assume that on fields without play clocks the back judge will still raise his hand and do a count down as the expiration of the clock nears.

When it’s a 25 second clock situation you will know it because that will be when you see the referee signal the play clock in the traditional manner.
I get that (I think! o_O)

But I have never watched the Refs that closely and I would rather not make Zebra watching a big part of my viewing experience.

40 second starts soon as play is over. 25 play clock is used after timeouts and penalties.

Biggest thing with this is you can now kneel out with a little over 2 minutes left instead of about 1:20 left.
even with a 25 second clock, for all intents & purposes, it was really a 40 second clock by the time the ref spots the ball and puts it in play and whistles for the 25 seconds to tick off - the only impact in the rule change is that you take it out of the ref's discretionary hands - with the 25 sec clock, with some refs you can have anywhere from 35 - 45 seconds between plays while clock is moving

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT