ADVERTISEMENT

#4 GBW @ #5 YORK

Friday Night at York. Dukes are 10 point favorites.
Who created this line? I find it hard to believe this wouldn't be a toss em game or even GBW favored.
GBW has the more skilled position players i would imagine, but York has alot of talent (starters) that returned from last years team that knocked over GBW. Both teams seemed to have injuries as well so that could impact the game. This should be a barn burner.

Reactions: Silver Rain
I can write something up if you like
The dukes record speaks for itself and the fact that they went into Duchon and dominated the hitters last year. Coming off a homecoming spoiling victory in western springs I probably should have said 17 point favorites. The dukes have knocked off undefeated WSS foes back to back weeks so 3 in a row should be a piece of cake. The hitters got to 5 wins last week so they are happy to be qualified for the playoffs and start to build the school reputation back as a football school after the conversion to a basketball school last year.

17 pts lol good luck with that. Could happen, but I foresee OVERTIME more likely than either team winning by 2 TDs+.

Short trip for us so my football watching buddy and I will be there - CAN’T WAIT!

As always, parking and food suggestions very welcome :) .

Reactions: Silver Rain
The dukes record speaks for itself and the fact that they went into Duchon and dominated the hitters last year. Coming off a homecoming spoiling victory in western springs I probably should have said 17 point favorites. The dukes have knocked off undefeated WSS foes back to back weeks so 3 in a row should be a piece of cake. The hitters got to 5 wins last week so they are happy to be qualified for the playoffs and start to build the school reputation back as a football school after the conversion to a basketball school last year.
These are extremely valid points and I agree. I'm sure the Hitters will come out and play hard, and that's really all we can ask.

Reactions: brucealmighy
17 pts lol good luck with that. Could happen, but I foresee OVERTIME more likely than either team winning by 2 TDs+.

Short trip for us so my football watching buddy and I will be there - CAN’T WAIT!

As always, parking and food suggestions very welcome :) .
The brat from the concession stand.

Reactions: stl705
Last year was......last year.

I predicted LWE would roll the Brook. Clearly I have zero handicapping skills.

Anyway…GW 24 York 21

Reactions: Wittymoniker1
I saw GBW at Marist week 1. GBW dominated the first half...I mean blowout. Not unusual for Marist. Second half GBW folded like a tent. Marist dominated and if they had a kicking game would have won. Again, not unusual for Marist. If I remember GBW QB was out that game. I haven't seen York. Whoever wins this game is an 8A contender in my book.

I really think this will be a low scoring, OT type of game.

GW had a tougher start to the season in Marist (3-2), but every other opponent is now 2-3. OPRF was 2-0 when they faced each other, and seemed to hang with GW for 3 quarters until the Huskies many two way players appeared to run out of gas. GW is coming off back-to-back weeks of Proviso West and Addison Trail.

York started the season with Schaumberg (2-3), Morton (2-3), and Proviso West (2-3), winning by a combined score of 154-7. However, they have been tested over the past two weeks - beating (at the time 3-0) Downers Grove North (4-1) in an overtime thriller 24-17; and (at the time 4-0) Lyons Township at LT in convincing fashion 27-14.

So while GW may have been able to work on small parts of the game plan for the past 2 weeks, York has had to focus one week at a time. The payback aspect is there for GW after York beat them last year at Duchon, but those were different teams.

My pick is York by 3.

I
I predicted LWE would roll the Brook. Clearly I have zero handicapping skills.

Anyway…GW 24 York 21
If you haven’t seen the Brook play this year your missing the greatest air show. MS the freshman QB is special and is only topped by his receivers. They are that good. Very dangerous. If they get more balanced they will be scary!

Reactions: MS4EVER
MS4EVER,

I got the Hawks with the upset this week. Any prediction on the Rita/Nazareth game?
If Rita wears the blue helmet(my second favorite helmet in the IHSA) then they win by 14! Do they even wear that helmet anymore?

Last edited:
York’s defense is the best GW has seen this year but GW has speed that York hasn’t seen, namely Ellens and Pope. GWs QB is inaccurate but can run as well. York’s is a better passer. GW has an OL going to Wisconsin. Ellens, a Jr., has visited some Power 5 schools. Pope is being recruited by some top FCS schools (North Dakota St, etc). Wild card might be GWs kicker, who can hit from 50. He apparently passed up some Power 5 offers to be a preferred walk-on at Notre Dame. Should be a good one. York broadcasts their games for free on their YouTube channel, run by students. The camera work is pretty good.

Historically the hitters seem to be more successful on the road over home games since artificial turf plays faster. Most of the games they have dropped in the conference have been at home.

Is the GBW lineman going to Wisconsin healthy? I thought i heard he was out and that could be a big loss for Toppers. When it comes to York i have watched a few games this year and have not seen there stud LB from last year. I think he was #6. I believe he would have been a 3 year returning starter this year. If he is hurt and returning soon that would be a big add for Dukes heading into playoffs especially with them being 5-0 already. I am really looking forward to this one Friday.

I have seen both teams play and this is going to be a very physical game. GBW ability to get the ball on the perimeter will be key to this game. GBW will also take advantage of York's man to man coverage and Julius will have a big game against the Dukes. GBW will win this game but it will be a very close game.

Hmmmm where to eat. I know portillos is right down the street. I believe there’s a hot chicken sandwich place right there

Dominated is an extreme overstatement. The score was 12-10.

Two great, well coached teams but the intensity that GBW comes out with will likely be too much for the dukes to handle.

this is probably Coach Fitzgeralds biggest game of his career, the pressure being put on him and his team will be too much to handle when facing off against a dominant and extremely well coached team like GBW.

GBW is used to being at the top, the expectations are high every year so they know how to handle these types of games. York isn’t used to being at the top, they are a young program and
haven’t dealt with expectations like these.

GBW by 13

this is probably Coach Fitzgeralds biggest game of his career, the pressure being put on him and his team will be too much to handle when facing off against a dominant and extremely well coached team like GBW.
Not sure if it the biggest game of his career at York. How about last year’s game when both teams were undefeated? Or the next week when they had HC at home for the conference title? Or their first round playoff game last year which was the schools first playoff appearance since 2010? I think they can handle the pressure at this point. Plus they are playing a basketball school.

Not sure if it the biggest game of his career at York. How about last year’s game when both teams were undefeated? Or the next week when they had HC at home for the conference title? Or their first round playoff game last year which was the schools first playoff appearance since 2010? I think they can handle the pressure at this point. Plus they are playing a basketball school.
I mean they lost both that home conference title game and that home first round playoff game. So if you are going to compare Fridays game to those two in importance and pressure then GBW is definitely the favorite.

*sports school

I mean they lost both that home conference title game and that home first round playoff game. So if you are going to compare Fridays game to those two in importance and pressure then GBW is definitely the favorite.
So how is Friday the most important game of his career? They don’t win anything or advance on Friday night. Sure it is a big game but not the singular most important game of the coach’s career.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT