ADVERTISEMENT

4-5’s in

How do you figure lots of 4-4 teams beat schools with winning records last night

There were 73 teams 4-4 heading into the weekend. 35 spots open after 5 win teams. Not enough of those 4-4’s won. Moline, Plainfield Central, Nazareth, Deerfield Grayslake North Bartlett to name a few.

I expected 1-2 to get in but didn’t expect this many. A lot of parity in HS football this year after you get past the top 3-4 teams.

How do you figure lots of 4-4 teams beat schools with winning records last night
But there were many that lost to teams with losing records. As of 2am Soucie had six 4-5 teams in the field.

Wow. Sounds like my Glenbrook South neighbors will be happy tonight. Thanks for the info. I don't subscribe the sluice

Quick browse of the scores and it looks like that happened 7 times.
I'd say that's quite a few considering they had the better record and were fighting for their playoff lives. How many 4-4's beat teams with better records?

There were 73 teams 4-4 heading into the weekend. 35 spots open after 5 win teams. Not enough of those 4-4’s won. Moline, Plainfield Central, Nazareth, Deerfield Grayslake North Bartlett to name a few.

I expected 1-2 to get in but didn’t expect this many. A lot of parity in HS football this year after you get past the top 3-4 teams.
Does this account for the dozen-ish 4-4 teams playing today?

I'd say that's quite a few considering they had the better record and were fighting for their playoff lives. How many 4-4's beat teams with better records?
I agree, 7 seems like a lot. No idea what a typical week 9 is in the past

There were only two 4-4 that beat teams with winning records. Both beat 5-3 teams

For those of you that spend a lot more time on this, let’s say four 4-5 teams make it. What are we looking at for opponent wins totals? Sterling at 50 is looking good?

For those of you that spend a lot more time on this, let’s say four 4-5 teams make it. What are we looking at for opponent wins totals? Sterling at 50 is looking good?
Soucie has Sterling in.

Marist in 8A at 4-5 on his projection. Not the 4-5 team LWE or LA would hope for but should still be able to handle

Based on latest rankings current 4-5 Rankings are

Naz -- 56
GBS -- 52
Sterling 50
Plainfield North 49
Marist 47
Quincy ND 47
Peru 46
Bureau Valley 46
Stockton 45
Lots at 44 including Benet

Last edited:
Reactions: Alexander32

Naz -- 56
GBS -- 52
Sterling 50
Plainfield North 49
Marist 47
Peru 46
Bureau Valley 46
Stockton 45
Soucie has Lasalle Peru as the last team in and Quincy ND as the first team out. QND is quirky because they had 5 out of state opponents.

Looking at the current IHSA site and it looks like anyone with 4 wins will qualify. Weird. Unless there's a glitch on the Playoff Hopefulls page
Yeah, that's not right. It's not taking into account the 4-5 teams that will get in. Those are just the teams that didn't play last night.

Yeah, that's not right. It's not taking into account the 4-5 teams that will get in. Those are just the teams that didn't play last night.
The page lists all qualifiers and then the 5-4 teams and below who have yet to be determined. Even 0-3 Sparta is on the list. It states 65 spots remain while the 65th team on the list is 3-4 Carver. Five 5-3 teams and nine 4-4's. Either way, that's a lot of mediocrity yet to be included.

The page lists all qualifiers and then the 5-4 teams and below who have yet to be determined. Even 0-3 Sparta is on the list. It states 65 spots remain while the 65th team on the list is 3-4 Carver. Five 5-3 teams and nine 4-4's. Either way, that's a lot of mediocrity yet to be included.
I'm not putting any stock into what's on the IHSA page at this point. Unless those 4-4 teams win they're not getting in, playoff points are way too low.

I think the page would be ok if it had all the 4-5 teams also… or at least the ones with a lot of playoff points.

Reactions: 4Afan
Where is Woodstock Marian??

4-5 46 playoff points
From what I interpet the way it is done is that any 4&5 teams that have the same amount of power points then they go to the first tye breaker which is the most wins by the defeated oponents! Of the 46 point teams, Peru has 14, MCC has12, Bureau Valley has 10. So if they take 7 4&5 teams, that would put the cutoff between Peru "in" and MCC "out". I hope I'm wrong!

Reactions: colin2229 and 4Afan

Naz -- 56
GBS -- 52
Sterling 50
Plainfield North 49
Marist 47
Quincy ND 47
Peru 46
Bureau Valley 46
Stockton 45
If it comes down to two teams with the same point total, what’s the tie breaker?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT