ADVERTISEMENT

2018 early look... will the new DuKane conference be the best in the state?

King MJ

Jul 22, 2001
With Batavia (7A State Champion), St. Charles East (could have beaten 8a State Champs), St. Charles North (did beat 7A state Champions), Wheaton North (could have beaten 7A state champ), Lake Park (playoffs), Geneva (arguably best 4-5 team in state), Wheaton South (huge heritage), Glenbard North (playoffs) not sure who else has the depth.

In fact the East Suburban Catholic might be the only conference in the discussion. Reality is a couple very good teams here won't make the playoffs. And I don't think any team in the state in any level could run the table here.

WWS has really struggled the last few years but they are starting to get a nice influx on talent the last few years at the lower levels which they haven’t had in a while the freshman went 8-1 and the Sophmore team 6-3 along with a decent Sr class next year.

The biggest thing holding them back right now is coaching they lost alot of their staff in 2016 and they have a lot of young coaches that are learning on the job. The young guys will all be fine coaches but still need more time to figure things out.

I think they win 4-6 games next year but after that the program should be in real good shape.

How's St Charles East going to be next year ? Do they return a lot?

This conference doesn't last more than 3 years.

This conference will be fine these schools have played each for years and overall relationship is very good.

Teams good enough to make playoff will not make it. This will cause a conference breakup unless playoff structure changes.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cross Bones
Agree with the OP. This will be one of the best conferences in the state. A quality football program like Geneva is going to struggle to make the playoffs each year.

Reactions: King MJ
How's St Charles East going to be next year ? Do they return a lot?

They lose 4 D1 players but have a few top players coming back., FB Justin Jett is one of the toughest runners in the state and OL Justin Hull will be a top D1 prospect. About 6 or 7 sophs got significant time on varsity including QB BJ Crossen who arguable outplayer their senior starting QB Isbell. their sophomore team went 8-1 i believe and should continue to add depth. Biggest challenge will be replacing 3 starting LBs.

In terms of returning talent thought, St. Charles North would have to be the preseason favorite, followed closely by Batavia, WN and SCE.

What does SCN return? Also, please link their playbook (everything is online these days)

What does SCN return? Also, please link their playbook (everything is online these days)

We/CB/all everything Tyler Nubin
G Alex Westendorf
Qb Payton brown
OL/DL John ambrosia
Wr Alex Kritta

Plus several lineman I can’t remember. In total 13 or 14 starters or guys in the rotation.

Well know a lot about SCE after their week 2 game against Carmel. Just release schedule and play Carmel and rock island non conference. Not sure there is a tougher schedule in the state

Well know a lot about SCE after their week 2 game against Carmel. Just release schedule and play Carmel and rock island non conference. Not sure there is a tougher schedule in the state
Really? Carmel was1-8 and RI was 4-5 last year. That looks like a pretty easy non-conference slate. Not sure how that translates into toughest schedule in the state.

We/CB/all everything Tyler Nubin
G Alex Westendorf
Qb Payton brown
OL/DL John ambrosia
Wr Alex Kritta

Plus several lineman I can’t remember. In total 13 or 14 starters or guys in the rotation.
Should be a good one then week 2. We have a bunch coming back. Off the top of my head about half the D and most of the O. Gotta get the kid (QB) some snaps obviously.

I'm thinking more like call Naz for week 2?!?!

Really? Carmel was1-8 and RI was 4-5 last year. That looks like a pretty easy non-conference slate. Not sure how that translates into toughest schedule in the state.

Both perennial playoffs teams and should be again next year. Rock Island lost its 2 best players in the opener against st. charles this year

Both perennial playoffs teams and should be again next year. Rock Island lost its 2 best players in the opener against st. charles this year
Still no where near toughest openers in state. Carmel has become an average program

That’s who SCE is playing or who you want them to play?

North has a tougher schedule with that same conference and playing Bolingbrook.

Reactions: Cross Bones
not toughest open, but aggregate schedule. Easiest team on schedule is Wheaton South

Rock Island lost to Metea Valley 37-34, two weeks before that game MV got beat by WWS 44-0. If you truly believe WWS is the easiest game on your schedule your crazy.

surprised some many folks here dont think COM will be back to historical levels next year. I thought this was a catholic league dominated board.

surprised some many folks here dont think COM will be back to historical levels next year. I thought this was a catholic league dominated board.
I love the "this is a Catholic League Board" that gets bandied about around here often (paging LWEastdad). Truth is in the views. I did a quick check and Rochester Morris thread had 56 replies and 4500 views, HE vs PR had 77 replies and 3500 views, Phillips at Sterling was a whopper with 147 replies and over 9300 views. And I don't want to find it but the LZ PN second round thread was a good one with over 100 replies and tons of views.
I know your not one of these guys that actually think this is a Catholic dominated board and I think your post was tongue and cheek. But there are definitely some posters that can't stop crying about those greedy, entitled private school supporters.
I like the posts that say "why isn't anybody talking about X". Why don't they just post something interesting about X and go from there. Like the great group of Sterling posters, some agitating, most good, they owned this postseason because they posted and posted interesting stuff.

Reactions: Cat Box
Carmel Catholic will be fine if they don't lose some key contributors with the leadership change.

15 underclassmen got SIGNIFICANT playing time. Nine started/spot started on offense and six started/spot started on defense for most of the season. That's the primary reason they went 1-8, along with injuries to their top Sr's that opened the door for Frosh/Soph/Jr players.

Not predicting a winning season, but should see improvement and the framework for a strong group in 2019/2020.

Last edited:
With Batavia (7A State Champion), St. Charles East (could have beaten 8a State Champs), St. Charles North (did beat 7A state Champions), Wheaton North (could have beaten 7A state champ), Lake Park (playoffs), Geneva (arguably best 4-5 team in state), Wheaton South (huge heritage), Glenbard North (playoffs) not sure who else has the depth.

In fact the East Suburban Catholic might be the only conference in the discussion. Reality is a couple very good teams here won't make the playoffs. And I don't think any team in the state in any level could run the table here.
I'm sorry, but to clarify. You blieve that SCE would beat LWE. Correct?

Carmel Catholic will be fine if they don't lose some key contributors with the leadership change.

15 underclassmen got SIGNIFICANT playing time. Nine started/spot started on offense and six started/spot started on defense for most of the season. That's the primary reason they went 1-8, along with injuries to their top Sr's that opened the door for Frosh/Soph/Jr players.

Not predicting a winning season, but should see improvement and the framework for a strong group in 2019/2020.
The team had 21 Seniors, 12 Juniors, 2 Sophomores, and 2 Freshman. Primary reason they went 1-8 is because of underclassmen getting significant playing time? You can look at the roster online and I added the two sophomores that are not listed. Are you a real fan, or just another Carmel Coach trying to blame the kids for a terrible job? At no point, has a coach at Carmel taken ACCOUNTABILITY for a terrible season, on this forum or in the press releases. That is very disturbing, because coaches, especially ones that win, always take accountability. As far as losing key contributors, I think they saved losing them with the change.

Wheaton North will be down next year but has some solid kids returning. Backup running back to the 2nd team all state kid would have started on 90% of teams in the state. Big fast kid. Probably 195 next year with great speed. Two excellent returning corners (yes one missed the Batavia game or it probably would have been a shutout). A soph linebacker who is going to be a force. Better then his brother who is on the Wildcats. Also a likely all conference defensive end and a loaded sophomore class. Will start a lot of juniors and go 4-5 next year is my guess.

I love the "this is a Catholic League Board" that gets bandied about around here often (paging LWEastdad). Truth is in the views. I did a quick check and Rochester Morris thread had 56 replies and 4500 views, HE vs PR had 77 replies and 3500 views, Phillips at Sterling was a whopper with 147 replies and over 9300 views. And I don't want to find it but the LZ PN second round thread was a good one with over 100 replies and tons of views.
I know your not one of these guys that actually think this is a Catholic dominated board and I think your post was tongue and cheek. But there are definitely some posters that can't stop crying about those greedy, entitled private school supporters.
I like the posts that say "why isn't anybody talking about X". Why don't they just post something interesting about X and go from there. Like the great group of Sterling posters, some agitating, most good, they owned this postseason because they posted and posted interesting stuff.

RS, I am with you 100%. Is it a sin that Catholic League posters post issues and things that affect their teams and/or league?

Congrats on Batavia's 7A state title this year. Looking at this schedule, I do not see one game where one can say "That's an easy win." I know Geneva was down this year, but that's a rival game for you--those games are never a gimme. I know WWS might be a little down, but they'll be back very soon, and Lake Park surprised a lot of people this year--a program on the up-and-up possibly? Went under the radar on this board and lo' and behold, you're a state champion! Kudos to Batavia.

Last edited:
Reactions: BataviaDogs1

BTW, this thread has 32 replies and over 1,600 views. LOL!

North has a tougher schedule with that same conference and playing Bolingbrook.

Besides Da' Brook, does SCN have another non-conference foe? I love the CCL Blue and will always follow my Mustangs, but I am beginning to like the makeup of this conference. I think it very well could be a situation where a 6 - 3 and/or 5 - 4 team from the DuKane make a strong run in the playoffs, while a 8 - 1 and/or 7 - 2 team get eliminated early because of the week-to-week pummeling that will be taking place. This is going to be probably the strongest conference; I honestly believe when Rita beat SCN, it was a true upset, while SCE almost beat LWE.

Foosball1 you must be a proud father. Hope the Corsairs get it together next season. I hope too those that are 'all in' are there for the right reasons.

I'll be watching as I been have for a long time. Don't let the sunflower approach with your kid/kids keep them from working through adversity. You can't control everything for them.

Hopefully we can meet up in the stands sometime. Let me know your sons jersey number and I'll figure out who you are and say Hi.

Foosball1 you must be a proud father. Hope the Corsairs get it together next season. I hope too those that are 'all in' are there for the right reasons.

I'll be watching as I been have for a long time. Don't let the sunflower approach with your kid/kids keep them from working through adversity. You can't control everything for them.

Hopefully we can meet up in the stands sometime. Let me know your sons jersey number and I'll figure out who you are and say Hi.
Sitting here, scratching my head, trying to figure out what exactly it is that you are talking about. Wait, I think I got it...You don't want to provide a rebuttal to my statement because you can't. Carmel is a school that can go out and find talent. Correct? Carmel has many resources at its disposal to ensure that a head coach will have anything he and/or she would need to be successful. Correct? Carmel has top notch facilities. Correct? Hell, they even have a half million dollar jumbotron most colleges don't have. And, didn't they spend about $700k around two years ago for new turf. Carmel has top-notch academics. Correct? So, please explain to me how they have only made the playoffs twice since 2011? I am only asking because I am just confused on how a 1-8 season just popped out of nowhere. Please enlighten me with your all knowing, I am always watching, infinite wisdom. Or, give me another Hand&^%. Best thing they did was clean house. Now hopefully, they have what it takes to set the program in the right course...

Sitting here, scratching my head, trying to figure out what exactly it is that you are talking about. Wait, I think I got it...You don't want to provide a rebuttal to my statement because you can't. Carmel is a school that can go out and find talent. Correct? Carmel has many resources at its disposal to ensure that a head coach will have anything he and/or she would need to be successful. Correct? Carmel has top notch facilities. Correct? Hell, they even have a half million dollar jumbotron most colleges don't have. And, didn't they spend about $700k around two years ago for new turf. Carmel has top-notch academics. Correct? So, please explain to me how they have only made the playoffs twice since 2011? I am only asking because I am just confused on how a 1-8 season just popped out of nowhere. Please enlighten me with your all knowing, I am always watching, infinite wisdom. Or, give me another Hand&^%. Best thing they did was clean house. Now hopefully, they have what it takes to set the program in the right course...
Do they have a new head coach yet?

Is Carmel Multiplied? Or has that been waved due to lack of success?

Waiver is potentially coming soon. Last playoff win was 2014.

And my rebuttal is most schools with good academics, good facilities, fancy scoreboard, new uniforms and more, playing CCHS' schedule with that many underclassmen and key injuries wouldn't have done much better. I've stated that in many other posts on this message board.

Your all-star's jersey number please? I want to be micro-focused on the play of this particular MVP candidate who has the parent with all the answers. Maybe you should be the new HC?

And you failed to mention all the donated meats for concessions. You a Boar's Head distributor?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT