ADVERTISEMENT

White Sox Hire Tony La Russa As Manager

Hypothetical

I love Yermin but let me ask you does Yermin swing more at balls out of the strike zone than in the strike zone?

I think TLR knew Yermin could hit a homer off a pitcher throwing 50 mph.

Was Tony giving Yermin a teaching moment when he gave the signal not to swing on a 3-0 count?

Can you imagine if Yermin accepted this teaching moment and it was the beginning of him learning the strike zone. Imagine how much more dangerous Yermin would be.
In regards to Yermin, I think he can hit anything around the zone, he doesn't get cheated much at the plate and he certainly isn't flailing at pitches like Robert was. As for the teachable moment, I don't think TLR intended it to be one. I think he gave him the take, expected him to take, noticed he wasn't going to, started yelling Don't Swing and he did anyway. Seeing how Yermin was already late for a game that week (10 years in the minors, shows up late) and then ignored a sign, it became a teachable moment.

Reactions: Wassup13
I can't think of the last time I watched a MLB game on TV from first pitch to the last. The game has become so hard for me to watch. And I don't know anyone who likes the game more than me. In April there were 1,092 more strikeouts than hits. That has never happened and it has been getting worse. You have very little creativity anymore. A guy goes to the mound and throws the ball as hard as he can almost every time. The batter swings for the fence on virtually every cut.

Rob Manfred is a clown and has done everything he can to ruin the game further. Most players aren't being taught the right way to hit. Analytics and the clowns who swear by them have ruined the game for me too.

And most players are dumber. I see guys in the field pulling out cards to see how to position a guy. WTF. Unless you're seeing a guy for the first time you ought to have an idea where to position him. Pitchers and catchers don't call their own games. But that has been going on for a while.

I think the thing that jumps out to me more than anything is that the game has no consistent rhythm. Even if a game lasts only 2:45 it still feels like its plodding.

I can still watch a hockey game from puck drop to the final horn. I can watch a football game from kickoff to the final whistle. But, baseball is and continues to be destroyed. It's too bad because it is a good game.

Reactions: Wassup13
It would be easy for me to be disgusted with the Sox this past weekend. But, there is no point in it. They could have won 2 out of 3 of those games. But, the Yankees played better ball and are a better team right now.

Just wondering if everyone saw this article by Rick Morrissey of the Sun Times. He makes some very good points. And it's clever too. He has no problem with managers calling out players in the media. Of course not. That is how he gets information to write articles.

If you can believe Chuck Garfein, Mercedes had been being a PITA in the clubhouse. Thus, TLR took the opportunity to rip him a little in the media.

I wasn’t aware they were in the same division.
So easy for me to predict this response. Of course they aren't in the same division. But there have been a lot of people saying the Sox will win a lot more games than the Cubs. They may still do that. But, it isn't happening yet.

And I don't need anyone talking about injuries. Injuries are part of every sport. But, the Sox have shown some depth. Good thing the pitching has been holding this ship together so far.

Sox are 5th in the league in Runs and 3rd in average and first in OB%. Power has been down, but they are still 7th in the league in OPS.

Sox are 5th in the league in Runs and 3rd in average and first in OB%. Power has been down, but they are still 7th in the league in OPS.
Fair Enough.

Let's look at some pitching numbers.

The Sox are 5th in team E.R.A., tied for 5th in shutouts, 8th in hits given up, only the Padres and Mets have given up fewer runs (and that's a biggie) 6th in fewest HRs given up, tied for 7th in walks given up (another biggie) 7th in strikeouts, 9th in opposing team B.A., and 9th in WHIP.

While the offensive output is commendable, without these pitching numbers they are a .500 team. The pitching has been simply outstanding. And only the Padres and Angels have a higher percentage of errors per game.

Fair Enough.

Let's look at some pitching numbers.

The Sox are 5th in team E.R.A., tied for 5th in shutouts, 8th in hits given up, only the Padres and Mets have given up fewer runs (and that's a biggie) 6th in fewest HRs given up, tied for 7th in walks given up (another biggie) 7th in strikeouts, 9th in opposing team B.A., and 9th in WHIP.

While the offensive output is commendable, without these pitching numbers they are a .500 team. The pitching has been simply outstanding. And only the Padres and Angels have a higher percentage of errors per game.
of course, but both the offense and defense are about the same in terms of the rest of the league. Both have been crucial in terms of the Sox success and with what we are missing offensively, the offense has more than pulled it's weight.

Last edited:
Reactions: Blue Ruin
I really thought the injury to Robert was going to be the nail in the coffin on this season. I must say I am enjoying watching these guys play.

Agreed. The team is doing well so leave them alone. If they can hold on until Engle gets back they will be good.

I don't want any roster moves or trades. Keep this young team together and let them play. We have a 5 year window to win a title with this team. If they make a dumb trade and give away pitching this window can easily get reduced to this year and next year.

White Sox record since losing.....

Eloy Jimenez: 40-24 (.625)
Luis Robert: 25-12 (.676)
Michael Kopech: 12-4 (.750)
Nick Madrigal: 3-0 (1.000)

Resilience.

Reactions: Blue Ruin
In August I'm no longer baseball, my mind begins to think 100% about HS, college and NFL football.

Reactions: eireog
My son and I are close and I know both school and playing at the next level will consume much of his time, however, baseball (specifically White Sox baseball) will be something that keeps those texts coming every day and night.

Going to see the Yankees on 08/14/2021. No reason to be concerned about getting tix when you know someone. :D :D Plus, I want one of those 1919 throwback jerseys. I'd LOVE to go to the game at Field of Dreams in Dyersville, IA. But, I don't know the guy that well!:cool:

Went to Detroit last weekend with my dad and two sons to watch the Sox. Fantastic experience!
That is awesome! Just got a call today from a family member who lives outside Detroit. He invited me and my wifey to Detroit on July 4th weekend to see the Sox. He has the tix already. I love Comerica Park.

He said, "just get here and everything else is taken care of." He just moved there a couple months ago and is going to look into tix for the Bears when they go there on Thanksgiving. Haven't been to Ford Field yet.

Tell me something. What is the protocol there for masks, etc.?
WIthin Comerica Park, no masks at all. Restaurants are still suppossed to be at 50% capacity and you are required to wear a mask until seated. The couple of bars/restaurants we went to in Greek town before the game were not following the guidelines. I really liked Comerica Park, it was my first time there and in Detroit.

Reactions: LTHSALUM76
WIthin Comerica Park, no masks at all. Restaurants are still suppossed to be at 50% capacity and you are required to wear a mask until seated. The couple of bars/restaurants we went to in Greek town before the game were not following the guidelines. I really liked Comerica Park, it was my first time there and in Detroit.
I believe they are suppose to reduce restrictions even further on June 22nd.

What would be your favorite Sox outfield?

Mine

RF Robert (Also some CF)
CF Engle
LF Vaughn

DH Eloy (I'm no longer playing him in the field)

Rotate Gavin Sheets in at times for 1B and RF.

Absolutely love the injection of energy Goodwin and now Sheets have provided as well. Agreed with all about Eloy fielding, he circled the wagons on routine fly balls, and seems almost uninterested out there as some have pointed out.

Soto is a hotdog--me, me, me--but I'd really like to see Ohtani in a Sox uniform. The Angels are in fourth place and the Sox have a lot of prospects. I'd look for Yasmani to mount a comeback in late September or October.

Last edited:
Soto is a hotdog--me, me, me--but I'd really like to see Ohtani in a Sox uniform. The Angels are in fourth place and the Sox have a lot of prospects. I'd look for Yasmani to mount a comeback in late September or October.
They don't have that many prospects.

A hotdog? LOL. How old are you? I haven't heard a player called a hotdog in decades. LOL! :p

Last edited:
How old are you?

I'm old school. I'm a geezer. Like TLR, I believe players should respect the game, which is degraded by all the chest-thumping ego on display. Soto is a frog on a log, belching his name the livelong day to an admiring bog.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT