ADVERTISEMENT

Week 4 CPL Pick Em: No Friday Game Special

Thereturnofcmonman

Oct 4, 2019
Week 4 is here, which means it's time for more CPL Pick Em!!!! I am reminded of a classic song...

It's the most wonderful time of the year. There'll be games with some yelling, offenses are gelling, and refs we will not hear. It's the most wonderful time of the year.
It's the hap-happiest season of all. With those conference meetings and defense retreating, and a terrible call. It's the hap-happiest season of all.
There'll be tweets to be posting, stadiums are roasting, and away to Rockne we go. There'll be halftime stories, and tales of the glories of games long ago.
It's the most wonderful time of the year. There'll be much wind a blowing, and toilets will be closed until 2040 is near. It's the most wonderful time of the year.

The theme of the selected games this week is that every game is played on a day other than Friday.

Chicago Academy Cougars vs. Senn Bulldogs (Thursday, 4:15):
A Madison St. classic battle opens up the wonderful action this weekend. Chicago Academy may be an up and coming powerhouse on the NW side, but to be the man, you gotta beat the man. And as long as the Dawgz are on the other sideline and their bus shows up late, there's no reason to even play the game. Senn rolls off the bus with 18 guys and takes care of business in a big way!

Rowe Clark Masai Lions vs. Clemente Wildcats (Thursday, 7:15):
These are two teams that normally don't find their way into the CPL pick em. But when it's a matchup of big cats, how can you keep it off the schedule? In addition, normally Michele Clark would make the pick em, but there is only room for one Clark at the table this week, and Rowe Clark has a much better nickname. The Lions are coming off a bye week as they had a forfeit win last week, so they will be hungry. When a Masai lion is hungry, you better run. Unfortunately, Clemente will not be able to run the ball, so they will just be the main course for the Masai Lions. Rowe Clark wins big and still has room for dessert after their win.

Crane Cougars vs. Phoenix Firebirds (Thursday, 7:15):
Normally, the phoenix rises from the ashes. I don't know what happened to them last week, but they definitely did not rise up. Maybe they were like the Eagles(the band not the generic nickname), standing on the corner in Winslow, Arizona when they were supposed to be in Phoenix. You know what rises higher than phoenix, a crane. It's construction season here in Chicago, which means there are cranes and forklifts everywhere. Construction may cause you to miss the start of this barnburner at Rockne, but make your way through the one-lane side streets to watch the Cougars devour the Firebirds.

Richards Warriors vs. the U of C Woodlawn Maroons (Thursday, 4:15):
In CPL pick em, we leave no stadium unturned (unfortunately, if we turned over stuff at some stadiums, I have no idea what we would find). We make our way to the south side gem known as Stagg stadium to watch this contest. This game is being played on grass, so you have to take Woodlawn. The game would be much cooler if there were riding lawn mowers on the field, but you have to save something for the playoffs. Maroons win a nail biter.

Rauner Wildcats vs. Steinmetz Silver Streaks (Saturday, 12:00)
When you think of CPS Saturday slots, you think of Saturday at 10:00, 1:00, 4:00, and 7:00. Steinmetz is a risk taker and says screw the normal times, let's do our own thing. Unfortunately, the time may be different, but the Metz will not be streaking all over the field. At least, I sure as hell hope not. A streaker at a football game does not seem like a good idea. As much as it pains me to take a school named after a governor, the Wildcats will prevail.

Brooks Eagles vs. King Jaguars (Saturday 1:00)
CPS missed the mark on this one. This game should be at Brooks, plain and simple. Even if King is the home team, they should want to play on the Blue Smurf Turf. Who wouldn't wanna play on the smurf turf? Very poor decision making. Having said that, just like Aaron Rodgers this week struggled at the Jaguars stadium, Brooks will struggle at Eckersall. It may not be the Jaguars' stadium, but it'll have to do. King in a big win.

Julian Jaguars vs. Washington Patriots (Saturday 10:00)
Ahh yes. The Saturday 10:00 slot. Only certain schools have the right and privilege to participate in this prestigious time slot. Since I took the Jaguars above, I can't take them again. In addition, how do you bet against the Patriots? Julian Edelman was a Patriot and sucked on the other NFL teams he played on. Oh wait, there were none?? Oh well, Washington wins in a stone cold stunner.

CVS Cavaliers vs. Harlan Falcons (Saturday 7:00)
Saturday night lights!!!!!!!!!!!!! Harlan has returned!!!!!!!!!!!!! After a few weeks off, they randomly popped up against Solorio last week and lost a barnburner by the score of 8-6. This week, they will wait until after the game to eat their fried chicken. Eating it before the game didn't work for them. It only works for Pedro Serrano. Harlan gets a big win!

Collins Warriors vs. Kelly Trojans (Saturday 12:00)
In our final match of the week, we have a battle of two great last names. Collins and Kelly. Jim Kelly, what a player. It takes skill to lose 4 straight Super Bowls, a lot of skill. When I think of Collins, how do you not think of Chicago Bear great Todd Collins! What a QB! What makes him a Bears legend! Well, his winning percentage as a Bear is 1.000! A perfect score. Unfortunately, he gets his 1st loss in Chicago this week as Jim Kelly is ready to overcome and win the Super Bowl on California Ave. Kelly is a winner, winner chicken dinner. Why didn't I use that for Harlan???

Last edited:
Ohhhhh Booooooy! Week 4 is here in the CPL! Non Friday Edition? SO GOOD! Leave Friday night to the rest of the nation, the city gets it done on Thursday afternoon and Saturday morning! Let's get to the picks!

1 word. D A W G Z!!!!!!!!!!

The Masai Lions could be the Detroit Lions and they would still win this one by 45.
Lions!

I just remembered my 8th grade science teacher Mr. Crane. Decent guy. Can't remember much about him except he had a Boa Constrictor in the classroom and he used to teach with it wrapped around his neck. It was cool. Serious Alice Cooper vibe. No More Teachers, No More Books...No need for either this Thursday!
Crane!

Silver Streak football anywhere other than Hansen Stadium just isn't right. Nothing like driving down Nagle before a game and seeing players in full uniform waiting for the CTA. Even better was grabbing a bite at the McDonalds next door before the game and waiting behind two D Linemen getting a pre game meal in.
Streaks!

Brooks Eagles vs. King Jaguars (Eckersall, Saturday 1:00)
You know the expression, "It's good to be the King?" It's perfect for this game.
King in a big way!

A wise man once said drinking a Bud Heavy was like having George Washington march the Continental Army down your throat. Damn, that's making me thirsty.
Washington!

Harlan is back! I thought they were a goner, but the baby blue is back! Sorry CVS, the energy is too strong.
Falcons fly the coop!

Have you ever been out for a walk with the dog/bike ride on a beautiful fall afternoon and come across a park with some sort of youth sports going on? The kind of thing that makes you linger and take it all in, all the time knowing that in a couple of months it will be snowing and miserable? That's what going to a game at Kelly is like for me. That, and the great taco joints within walking distance.
Kelly!

Week 4 already? My goodness how the time flies when you are full entrenched in HOT CPL action. The forfeits, the programs thought dead, the rising from the ashes of COVID to be born even stronger? That's what CPL is all about.

Chicago Academy is in the old Wright College building. and the field is right behind it, you would think a nice historic building like that would have a decent sized field and stands. Well I guess if you think that you would show you're not familiar with CPL action. Rarely a properly sized stadium or field in these parts. Give the Cougars the respect they demand! Cougs display excellent sportsmanship with that respect. Dawgz don't stand a chance.

Battle of Big Cats, huh? If there's anything I enjoy in life it's the exotic. Doesn't matter what it is if you can make it exotic I need it more. The Masai Lion is so exotic, Rowe Clarke needs to embrace it. Fat Kickers, Lefty Punters, flood the field with them all! Never bet against the exotics.

Crane is a medical technical school. Med techs help with life saving training. Phoenix rise from the ashes after they die. This game is quite morbid. I wouldn't be caught dead missing it. Phoenix in a barn burner.

The rich vs the poor in this matchup. Not many can sling that wealth like Rauner while the poor Metz barely have enough student body to survive. Their numbers are dropping on a continuous basis. But in this matchup it won't matter as those uppity Rauner kids are worried about stuffing their pockets, the Metz will be stuffing the endzones! Metz in an upset.

Brooks Eagles vs. King Jaguars (Eckersall, Saturday 1:00)
Eagles vs Jaguars now this is a matchup of apex predators. I'll be taking in this one in live. Meet me at Carl's Red Hots for my pre game meal and prediction. Don't judge me on my kid meal of 2 plain hot dogs and fries, leave that for the game.

Hopefully Tebow got transferred to Julian and not actually cut from Jacksonville. It would take him to over come the mighty Patriot D. Otherwise just like Tebow the Jags are left to pray on it.

This is an interesting matchup. Will the cavaliers have rifles or swords? If they have rifles the falcons stand no chance, if they bring swords they better be highly skilled to defend that attack. I'm going to guess they go swords and don't have the skill to defeat the mighty Falcons.

Collins Academy is right next to Douglass Park. You know what's at Douglass Park this week? That's right, Riot Fest!!! When I hear Riot Fest I'm thinking some good ol fashion Metal Music. You know what's not playng at something as savage sounding as Riot Fest? Yup, metal. Smashing Pumpkins, Vic Mensa a band called Circle Jerk (not touching that one)? Just awful. Give me Kelly and let's hope I'm not disappointed again.

The spirit of CPL football is infectious and contagious, and it invites in-depth analysis of the weekly match-ups.. After months of concentrated study, I finally may be qualified to make a small contribution to the field. Not to the football field, since I was born skinny, but to the field of analytics. Here is my semi-professional take on Week 4.

Richards Warriors vs. the U of C Woodlawn Maroons
The Warriors have fought off the Orphans, the Riffs, and the Baseball Furies in the first three weeks of the season. Can they get past the UofC Maroons, the original Monsters of the Midway? I crunched the numbers, and the numbers say yes. Remember that UofC is also known as the place "where fun goes to die." At the end of the game, the Warriors will moon the Maroons. Can you dig it?

Brooks Eagles vs. King Jaguars
Eagles are majestic in flight but also considered scavenger birds. Although they prefer live fish and game, they will feed on carrion. In this week's contest, the Eagles will be on the hunt and the Jaguars are road kill.

CVS Cavaliers vs. Harlan Falcons
The rumor is that Dick Butkus will come out of retirement and, remaining incognito, play one last game for CVS. Still in great football shape, he is expected to display his usual ferocity. To intimidate the Harlan squad, he will bite off the head of a live falcon and spit it out on the field. The game will be over before it starts.

Rauner Wildcats vs. Steinmetz Silver Streaks
The Rauners, who have a preference for gold over other precious metals, will overlook the Silver Streaks of Steinmetz. Initially the Rauners will pull ahead, but then, like their namesake and founder, they will get greedy. Going for two points after every touchdown instead of a PAT, they will lose by the thinnest of margins and then have to console themselves with a $10, 000 bottle of wine.

Last edited:
The spirit of CPL football is infectious and contagious, and it invites in-depth analysis of the weekly match-ups.. After months of concentrated study, I finally may be qualified to make a small contribution to the field. Not to the football field, since I was born skinny, but to the field of analytics. Here is my semi-professional take on Week 4.

The Warriors have fought off the Orphans, the cops, and the Baseball Furies in the first three weeks of the season. Can they get past the UofC Maroons, the original Monsters of the Midway? I crunched the numbers, and the numbers say yes. Remember that UofC is also known as the place "where fun goes to die." The Warriors will moon the Maroons. Can you dig it?

Eagles, while majestic in flight, are also considered scavenger birds. Although they prefer live fish and game, they will feed on carrion. In this week's contest, the Eagles will be on the hunt and the Jaguars are road kill.

The rumor is that Dick Butkus will come out of retirement and, while remaining incognito, play one last game for CVS. Still in great football shape, he is expected to play with his usual ferocity. To intimidate the Harlan squad, he will bite off the head of a live falcon and spit it out on the field. The game will be over before it starts.

The Rauners, who have a preference for gold over all other precious metals, will overlook the Silver Streaks of Steinmetz. Initially the Rauners will pull ahead, but then like their namesake and founder, they will get greedy. Going for two points after every touchdown instead of a PAT, they will lose by the thinnest of margins and then have to console themselves with a $10, 000 bottle of wine.
I couldn't be more proud. Tears. Proud tears.

The Warriors have fought off the Orphans, the cops, and the Baseball Furies in the first three weeks of the season. Can they get past the UofC Maroons, the original Monsters of the Midway? I crunched the numbers, and the numbers say yes. Remember that UofC is also known as the place "where fun goes to die." The Warriors will moon the Maroons. Can you dig it?

Eagles, while majestic in flight, are also considered scavenger birds. Although they prefer live fish and game, they will feed on carrion. In this week's contest, the Eagles will be on the hunt and the Jaguars are road kill.

The rumor is that Dick Butkus will come out of retirement and, while remaining incognito, play one last game for CVS. Still in great football shape, he is expected to play with his usual ferocity. To intimidate the Harlan squad, he will bite off the head of a live falcon and spit it out on the field. The game will be over before it starts.

The Rauners, who have a preference for gold over all other precious metals, will overlook the Silver Streaks of Steinmetz. Initially the Rauners will pull ahead, but then like their namesake and founder, they will get greedy. Going for two points after every touchdown instead of a PAT, they will lose by the thinnest of margins and then have to console themselves with a $10, 000 bottle of wine.
It’s glorious!!!

Just found out I will be on the south side of the city this afternoon. Should be done around 4. What does that mean? 4:15 start at STAGG STADIUM BABY!!!!
Richards vs. Woodlawn.
Even as a hardened CPL fan, I have to admit that every time I see Richards, I think Oak Lawn, not Back of the Yards. Not today. my friends. I am all in on the hot Warrior vs. Maroom Matchup. I'll be rolling over to Haire's Shrimp on Vincennes. Grabbing a couple bags of fried shrimp, then parking outside the end zone fence opposite the school.to enjoy some Hot Thursday CPL ACTION! Oh, and I'm picking Woodlawn to take Richards behind the WOODshed!
WOOD!

Last edited:
Clark 68 Back of the Yards 6. Back of the Yards quit with 3 min left in the 3rd qt N the refs called the game. I wish they would put us in a tougher conference.
The good news is, in the CPL, when a team wins the conference, they get to move up. Sounds like all you have to do is take care of business on the field. Good luck coach!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT