ADVERTISEMENT

Walther Football Topic

To add to that thread. Not only have the demographics changed in the area. I would imagine pmsa takes a lot of kids from Walther.

I didn't want to bother him with e-mailing on the opening but I should have as stated in his subject post. But I like Walther & want to see them succeed & thought the topic was going well.

Reactions: colin2229
I did like the idea of Bo Flowers taking that job. I know he was a legend in the old Private School League in late 90s early 2000s. Some of the Naz guys here I'm sure have some memories of him at QB, Shooting Guard, and throwing 90+ on the pitcher's mound. I played against him in hoops and saw some him pitch as well. He was ridiculous.

I did like the idea of Bo Flowers taking that job. I know he was a legend in the old Private School League in late 90s early 2000s. Some of the Naz guys here I'm sure have some memories of him at QB, Shooting Guard, and throwing 90+ on the pitcher's mound. I played against him in hoops and saw some him pitch as well. He was ridiculous.
Where did you go to school?

I had to tackle him. It was, um, not easy.

The best athlete the PSL had in its final years. Phil Reed was a Nazareth's best. But Bo was special too, and just as good at baseball.

The Swilley's were all great athletes as well. I would throw in Travon Davis, but you would know better as a Naz grad.
The Swilley family was amazing, and great people. Love the younger brothers Allen and Lundy. Shannon was amazing in T&F.

Travon is absolutely a top athlete, as well as Mike Spidale.

I just have an extreme football bias 😁

Reactions: ChicagoIllini9
Bo and Spidale were the best multi-sport players of the PSLs final years. Truly elite at baseball and their second sport.

Flowers or Mike Conley Sr. from Luther South were the two greatest athletes I've seen come out of the Private School League
Conley predated me, but yeah he's a legend.

Luther South was petering out as I was in school, but they were a force until the mid 90s

Reactions: forlouann

The best athlete the PSL had in its final years. Phil Reed was a Nazareth's best. But Bo was special too, and just as good at baseball.
Leron Brooks? Bart Cason? Was it Baxter Swilley? All Naz studs!

My brothers played at Aurora Central and had some great matchups vs Walther and Naz in the 90’s. PSL was a pretty solid conference back in the day.

Mark Thomse from Central was another good dual sport athlete from those days.

My brothers played at Aurora Central and had some great matchups vs Walther and Naz in the 90’s. PSL was a pretty solid conference back in the day.

Mark Thomse from Central was another good dual sport athlete from those days.
George Monaco was a great RB for AC!

Conley predated me, but yeah he's a legend.

Luther South was petering out as I was in school, but they were a force until the mid 90s
Luther South had some fast kids around that time. I believe they had Daniel Rush running the ball as well. He was a sub .11 100m runner. Also a guy named Brandon Cade who played at Ball State for a bit.

Reactions: epicbret
Luther South had some fast kids around that time. I believe they had Daniel Rush running the ball as well. He was a sub .11 100m runner. Also a guy named Brandon Cade who played at Ball State for a bit.
I remember Rush

Friend of mine went there and she talks about those classes. Great guys and yes, speed.

Leron Brooks? Bart Cason? Was it Baxter Swilley? All Naz studs!
Yeah they are the OGs. Truly formed the program with Moran. I was a part of Moran's peak, a string of playoff appearances [and sadly losses lol], but we saw our first bigger crop of college prospects and recognition.

My class was honestly meh, we had some WAC and FCS talent, but Tom O'Brien [98], Phil Reed [99] and Osborne Curtis [01] were studs. John Hemmisch [01] could have been a real steal in the MAC but a bad knee injury stopped that sadly. Good guys all of them.

Yeah they are the OGs. Truly formed the program with Moran. I was a part of Moran's peak, a string of playoff appearances [and sadly losses lol], but we saw our first bigger crop of college prospects and recognition.

My class was honestly meh, we had some WAC and FCS talent, but Tom O'Brien [98], Phil Reed [99] and Osborne Curtis [01] were studs. John Hemmisch [01] could have been a real steal in the MAC but a bad knee injury stopped that sadly. Good guys all of them.
Who was the tall defensive end? He murdered our tackle all game. I think he was a junior in the fall of 99. To this day, we still make fun of our friend who gave up five or six sacks that game against you guys. Name is on the tip of my tongue but I cannot remember right now.

Week 1 fall of 99. Believe you guys won 18-8

Week 1 fall of 99. Believe you guys won 18-8
Immaculate Conception. So hot and humidity through the roof.

I broke my elbow the week prior in the scrimmage, but I played the whole darn season. My current limb regrets this...

Bo Flowers and Zemke at Walther were the only loss until Grant [inexplicably] in the playoffs.

Immaculate Conception. So hot and humidity through the roof.

I broke my elbow the week prior in the scrimmage, but I played the whole darn season. My current limb regrets this...

Bo Flowers and Zemke at Walther were the only loss until Grant [inexplicably] in the playoffs.
Holy crap I remember the name of the d end. Jim Jenks. He was an animal!

And yes. It was hotter than hell that day. I sat out on d because I was playing both ways. Had to be 99 degrees that day.

Holy crap I remember the name of the d end. Jim Jenks. He was an animal!

And yes. It was hotter than hell that day. I sat out on d because I was playing both ways. Had to be 99 degrees that day.
Jenks is a great friend, and yeah he was a monster, still is lol. I believe I was the other end that game, smaller and less threatening!

The Swilley family was amazing, and great people. Love the younger brothers Allen and Lundy. Shannon was amazing in T&F.

Travon is absolutely a top athlete, as well as Mike Spidale.

I just have an extreme football bias 😁
Oh man the Swilley's were great dudes. Plenty of good memories with them from College.

Before Naz had a baseball field, we played our games at Segwick Park on 47th and East Ave. My junior year/his junior year, he hit a ball oppo taco. Swear to you, it went in the Quarry. (It probably didn't, but it went across 4 lanes of traffic, for sure).

I should have read on before I replied... this is from memory, so - I might need corrected, but guys who played D1...
O'Brien - Northwestern
Reed - WMU
Lundy Swilley - NIU
Curtis - WMU
Pezdeck - Illinois State?
Jenks - EIU (Didn't he have the state sack record, or conference sack record or something?)
Donato - EIU
Cannon - WMU
Schiffler - NIU

Hemmisch was an absolute stud.

My senior year, we had really a pretty good team, but aside from the younger guys, just a bunch of try-hard D3 guys.

I feel like I'm missing some, maybe in your brother's class.

Last edited:
Before Naz had a baseball field, we played our games at Segwick Park on 47th and East Ave. My junior year/his junior year, he hit a ball oppo taco. Swear to you, it went in the Quarry. (It probably didn't, but it went across 4 lanes of traffic, for sure).
I played a few games a Sedgwick. That is a bomb and no doubt he did

I should have read on before I replied... this is from memory, so - I might need corrected, but guys who played D1...
O'Brien - Northwestern
Reed - WMU
Lundy Swilley - played at Olivet Nazarene. Not sure offers.
Curtis - WMU
Pezdeck - Illinois State
Jenks - EIU (held our sack record until recently, not sure state)
Donato - EIU
Cannon - WMU
Schiffler - NIU
Of the above, I believe, only Pezdek, Reed, Donato, Swilley and Cannon finished careers

Frymire walked on at NU

My senior year, we had really a pretty good team, but aside from the younger guys, just a bunch of try-hard D3 guys.

Mirecki, Josh Engleking and one other had offers to WAC/Mtn West schools but declined.

I was a D3 try hard myself, but lasted a season before that broken elbow and a torn labrum made me bow out, so not trying to demean any accomplishments.

Just kudos to those that lasted!

O'Brien - Northwestern
Reed - WMU
Lundy Swilley - NIU
Curtis - WMU
Pezdeck - Illinois State?
Jenks - EIU (Didn't he have the state sack record, or conference sack record or something?)
Donato - EIU
Cannon - WMU
Schiffler - NIU

I’ve only been terrified on the football field one time and that was my junior year when I filled on a play and met(sort of) Pezdeck in the hole when he pulled and I remember thinking I was pretty close to breaking my neck. Not kidding. He was a monster.

I’ve only been terrified on the football field one time and that was my junior year when I filled on a play and met(sort of) Pezdeck in the hole when he pulled and I remember thinking I was pretty close to breaking my neck. Not kidding. He was a monster.
He would have been FBS had he played more than 3 years of football. Came in a basketball player, started playing as a SO. Soooooo nimble.

Really nice guy, but yes a monster athleticism and size wise.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT