ADVERTISEMENT

The Battle for athletes at JCA

mc140

Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Only five girls on the Soph basketball team and all are Freshmen.

"Next year we won't have that problem. We'll have girls coming in for
basketball and basketball only, and I won't have that problem losing
kids to club sports. It's a matter of time."

Club Sports

How does he know he has girls coming in for basketball only next year?

In my opinion, the JCA girls hoops program is a mess. They do a terrible of marketing the program to the student-athletes in the school. The problem isn't other sports, it is the fact that they only want "elite" players going out for the team. I personally know freshman girls who would have went out for the team. However, they were made to feel unwelcome in the program. If the coaching staff wanted more players in the program, they just had to do a little bit of promoting to the general student-athlete. The whole program leaves a bad taste in the mouth of many of the parents and alumni. The coach will be gone when his daughter graduates and he will take the elite, travel players with him.

Originally posted by USD24:

In my opinion, the JCA girls hoops program is a mess. They do a terrible of marketing the program to the student-athletes in the school. The problem isn't other sports, it is the fact that they only want "elite" players going out for the team. I personally know freshman girls who would have went out for the team. However, they were made to feel unwelcome in the program. If the coaching staff wanted more players in the program, they just had to do a little bit of promoting to the general student-athlete. The whole program leaves a bad taste in the mouth of many of the parents and alumni. The coach will be gone when his daughter graduates and he will take the elite, travel players with him.
That is not just a JCA problem. That happens in some other girl BB programs. If you are not playing varsity as a Fr, you never will at certain schools. So either live with playing BB for two years with no hope for making varsity or find another activity that you can enjoy for four years.

Actually I also know of some boys programs who only want players who "fully commit" to BB. I know of one program that drove away a ton of talent due to player not committing to BB. Team has yet to win a game this year.

Originally posted by edgytim:
Bones? Come on man!
This is a legit question. He put it in the paper, not me. In a private school, I have no clue how he knows who is coming next year TO play basketball. It would make more since in a public where you know who lives in the district. Like I knew Bailey was coming, I knew the younger Huffs were coming, I knew Tuf was coming.

Imagine in 2006 me saying that in 2007 the JT QB would be coming, or in 2004 saying a DL from Bartlett would be coming.

Originally posted by Cross Bones:

Originally posted by edgytim:
Bones? Come on man!
This is a legit question. He put it in the paper, not me. In a private school, I have no clue how he knows who is coming next year TO play basketball. It would make more since in a public where you know who lives in the district. Like I knew Bailey was coming, I knew the younger Huffs were coming, I knew Tuf was coming.

Imagine in 2006 me saying that in 2007 the JT QB would be coming, or in 2004 saying a DL from Bartlett would be coming.
How did you KNOW they were coming and not being "recruited" by private schools in the area. I'm sure this coach knows what girls "say" they are coming. The big thing now is the stress of who says they are coming and who is there on test day.

Originally posted by mc140:
Only five girls on the Soph basketball team and all are Freshmen.

"Next year we won't have that problem. We'll have girls coming in for
basketball and basketball only,
and I won't have that problem losing
kids to club sports. It's a matter of time."
Silly me, I thought kids went to high school to learn. High school athletics are getting out of control. I'm glad my youngest son is a senior this year.

This post was edited on 12/17 12:41 PM by Lockport Dad

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT