ADVERTISEMENT

The 4A Map Just Got REAL Interesting

Fair question. Here in part isvwhatbI am going on. 2013. Cyclones took 13 running clocks into DeKalb, playing pretty much the same teams as now, and scoring at an almost exactly identical clip.

Pundits, mostly Upstate, were chanting almost the exact words I'm hearing from you now. Weak schedule, bunch of pushovers. No chance against Mighty Montini

Result: First of two back to back undefeated 5A titles, second highest scoring team in Illinois history.

So yeah. I am optimistic.
How does losing to Rochester in week 2 by a score of 38 to 33, then having the game forfeited to the losing team after ineligible players were discovered on Rochester, as happened in this matchup in 2013, entitle a team to claim a running clock victory?

Perhaps you were thinking of 2014?

Reactions: Rollinnolan05
Have you seen any film on him? He may be division 1, but that is obviously all SVH has. They scored 294 points in the regular season and allowed 300. Me thinks K. L. is sandbagging here. 10 to 1 he is challenging the defense to hold the QB under 100 yards rushing. He has been been known to do that when facing a teams' top rusher.
He must have challenged the defense to keep Jordan Anderson below 400 last year.

Have you seen any film on him? He may be division 1, but that is obviously all SVH has. They scored 294 points in the regular season and allowed 300. Me thinks K. L. is sandbagging here. 10 to 1 he is challenging the defense to hold the QB under 100 yards rushing. He has been been known to do that when facing a teams' top rusher.
All.... Actually it took me longer than usual to get video on him. Strange. He is impressive . Lightning quick and because everyone is expecting him to run often he will pull up on what looks like but another run and come over the top with a dart pass to a wide open receiver. Ratsy

How does losing to Rochester in week 2 by a score of 38 to 33, then having the game forfeited to the losing team after ineligible players were discovered on Rochester, as happened in this matchup in 2013, entitle a team to claim a running
Entirely possible. I go entirely by memory and memory plays tricks. But while I concede that point it doesn't really change my point which was that even entering the game with a 13-0 record and a 50+ ppg record, the assumption from those who consider themselves expert was that they had no joke of beating Montini.

Also, my memory aside. Thr Rochester forfeit has never been claimed as a victory by either Ken Leonard or SHG however it is listed by IHSA
Tha t's pretty standard Ken Leonard. He talked the same talk pregame before every game this year even though everybody knew that only three teams were ever thought by anybody else to be even a challenge let alone a danger and Jacksonville dropped out of that list as the season wore on.

Entirely possible. I go entirely by memory and memory plays tricks. But while I concede that point it doesn't really change my point which was that even entering the game with a 13-0 record and a 50+ ppg record, the assumption from those who consider themselves expert was that they had no joke of beating Montini.

Also, my memory aside. Thr Rochester forfeit has never been claimed as a victory by either Ken Leonard or SHG however it is listed by IHSA

Tha t's pretty standard Ken Leonard. He talked the same talk pregame before every game this year even though everybody knew that only three teams were ever thought by anybody else to be even a challenge let alone a danger and Jacksonville dropped out of that list as the season wore on.
SHG and Montini played in the 5A finals in both 2013 and 2014. In 2013, Montini was going for its 5th straight title and was the heavy favorite. The Chicago papers seemed to crown Montini prematurely, and Ken used the perceived lack of respect for downstate football as a motivational tool. SHG pulled off a big upset 38-28, after trailing 21-7 early.

In 2014, the situation was reversed. SHG running clocked 13 straight teams, including 4A champion Rochester, going into the finals, while Montini had 3 losses. Montini avoided being the 14th running clock, but SHG won comfortably 29-14.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT