ADVERTISEMENT

Swagger @ Barrington

For those who follow 8A football, note that in the f our-team bracket that this post is about, Warren High is playing Lincoln-Way East and Maine South is. playing Barrington.
Warren played Maine South and Barrington during the regular season so after Saturday, they will have played three of the final eight teams in the 8A field.
And since Warren lost to both Barrington and Maine South, I feel safe in saying that Warren fans are hopingthat the third time will be the charm for their team.
And besides, Warren probably deserves a bit of good luck to offset the bad break in a 12-0 loss to L-W East in the 2019 championship game when an apparent Blue Devils scoop-and-scorre turned out not to be one.

For those who follow 8A football, note that in the f our-team bracket that this post is about, Warren High is playing Lincoln-Way East and Maine South is. playing Barrington.
Warren played Maine South and Barrington during the regular season so after Saturday, they will have played three of the final eight teams in the 8A field.
And since Warren lost to both Barrington and Maine South, I feel safe in saying that Warren fans are hopingthat the third time will be the charm for their team.
And besides, Warren probably deserves a bit of good luck to offset the bad break in a 12-0 loss to L-W East in the 2019 championship game when an apparent Blue Devils scoop-and-scorre turned out not to be one.
This should be good game. MS by 2 TD's. Warren secondary was basically sophomores and juniors playing varsity for the first time. They have gotten much better. Barrington could not stop Warren run game. I am sure both teams have gotten better. At this point in the season there are no easy wins. These are the best 8A teams left. Good luck to all remaining teams !

Maine South by 14. I don’t think Barrington is that good. They were beat by both Hoffman and Fremd. Caught some huge breaks against them. Palatine played their worst game of the season against them. I talked to both Fremd and Hoffman people and they were shocked Palatine lost to Barrington. Maine South should be able to score at will.

That being said, what do I know? lol. My predictions have been off all year. I was the guy predicting Montini would go 2-7. Now they’re likely going to the semis in 3a.

Maine South by 14. I don’t think Barrington is that good. They were beat by both Hoffman and Fremd. Caught some huge breaks against them. Palatine played their worst game of the season against them. I talked to both Fremd and Hoffman people and they were shocked Palatine lost to Barrington. Maine South should be able to score at will.

That being said, what do I know? lol. My predictions have been off all year. I was the guy predicting Montini would go 2-7. Now they’re likely going to the semis in 3a.
I concur.. preseason I never saw Barrington being 11-0 right now. Hoffman did have them beat and they they wound up blowing it - and to Barrington's defense they were able to capitalize.

This year's seniors did not have alot of success at lower levels. The juniors were good, including the QB, but their best was 7-2 and they were always behind Palatine. So Sanchez took a sub .500 senior class and a 7-2 junior class and somehow got them to 11-0, while Olsen took a 7-2 senior class and juniors that in total were 17-1 before this yearand turned them into a 6-4 team. It's hard to compare Palatine’s two games against these teams, as Palatine’s defense regressed during the season - due to youth and injuries. If I was betting my money would be on Maine South

Reactions: Irishfan90
Can I just say this: I've been around Maine South folks for almost 20 years and I've never heard that term ever associated with them. Ever.
Many moons ago on Edgy there was this amazing poll called the DSR(Dark side rankings). Legendary poster @JCHILLTOPPERS and his band of misfits came up with nicknames for each team. He had mentioned something about MS and swagger so I asked him if MS could be called Swagger High. The rest is history.

Can I just say this: I've been around Maine South folks for almost 20 years and I've never heard that term ever associated with them. Ever.
MS has been using it for a while, it became popular among players especially the boys on the defense side of the Ball, it was a few Newspaper articles that ran in 2013 that used it as well when referencing MS

I'll take Inserra and co. over Sanchez year after year. Oversimplification, but stop the run and you stop the Broncos.

Reactions: ChiTown Chuggers
I'll take Inserra and co. over Sanchez year after year. Oversimplification, but stop the run and you stop the Broncos.
That RB is no joke!! He is fast and hard to bring down. Hawks D will have to control the line.

Both teams can pass and run, have great playmakers, very well coached. I'm not sure you "stop" the Broncos, maybe just slow them down. Hawks might have edge in overall athleticism, especially on defense. Great matchup, I'll say Hawks by one score.

No
Now see, most years I would agree, but I think it's the QB that makes that team what it's been this year. I saw the freshman and JV games between Barrington & Palatine and he was good, but across the two years combined Barrington scored 26 points in those games.. but this year they put up 50.. go figure.

No

Now see, most years I would agree, but I think it's the QB that makes that team what it's been this year. I saw the freshman and JV games between Barrington & Palatine and he was good, but across the two years combined Barrington scored 26 points in those games.. but this year they put up 50.. go figure.
QB is very good, I agree. However, what messes up their offense this year is when you force them to pass. Not saying it's not potent, but it's what has given them trouble.

I concur.. preseason I never saw Barrington being 11-0 right now. Hoffman did have them beat and they they wound up blowing it - and to Barrington's defense they were able to capitalize.

This year's seniors did not have alot of success at lower levels. The juniors were good, including the QB, but their best was 7-2 and they were always behind Palatine. So Sanchez took a sub .500 senior class and a 7-2 junior class and somehow got them to 11-0, while Olsen took a 7-2 senior class and juniors that in total were 17-1 before this yearand turned them into a 6-4 team. It's hard to compare Palatine’s two games against these teams, as Palatine’s defense regressed during the season - due to youth and injuries. If I was betting my money would be on Maine South
I think when we are talking about boys turning into men, lower level records are not worth all that much. Boys hit puberty and turn into men at different times. You just never know who will improve year to year. And you never know what studs who were moved up to varsity would have made the difference at the lower levels. Broncos best seniors were on varsity as sophomores.

Last edited:
Not the best take considering Bronco QB led the state in touchdown passes, or was close. 29 in the regular season to 3 or 4 interceptions. Tough to argue if you stop the run you stop the Broncos based on that. With that being said, stopping the run is not so easy. Broncos have a 1200 yard back and a 600 yard back. MS staff is one of the few who could figure it out though I will say that.

Last edited:
I think MS is really good, but Barrington and MS over the years have really traded victories against each other. Because Broncos are at home, I will say Broncos by a score. But who knows. No shame in losing to MS. But I do think these two teams are very close and it could go either way. Let's just hope both teams stay healthy and the officials let the kids decide who wins. If you are going to the game and you don't get a porkchop sandwich you should be burned at the stake. So those are my two official predictions.

1. Anyone who does not get a porkchop sandwich is an idiot and your team deserves to lose.
2. Hard fought game between two really good football teams.

Last edited:
I think MS is really good, but Barrington and MS over the years have really traded victories against each other. Because Broncos are at home, I will say Broncos by a score. But who knows. No shame in losing to MS. But I do think these two teams are very close and it could go either way. Let's just hope both teams stay healthy and the officials let the kids decide who wins. If you are going to the game and you don't get a porkchop sandwich you should be burned at the stake. So those are my two official predictions.

1. Anyone who does not get a porkchop sandwich is an idiot and your team deserves to lose.
I've already told my friends about the sandwich. It's been a long time since I had one!

Reactions: alpha08
For the edgy veterans, those that have been around for 10+ years. It is very commonly used around here.
I've been on here for 20 years and only see it from like two guys. I've been around the Maine South community, and have never heard anyone use that phrase.

Hitters for Glenbard West? Yup. Heard that. But not anything for Maine South.

I've already told my friends about the sandwich. It's been a long time since I had one!
If you go to Barrington stadium and don't get that sandwich you have no credibility. I would put it in the top 1% of high school concession options nationwide. Not that I have a lot of experience but I am quite overweight and just trust me on that. Enjoy the game! Even if MS wins, will be rooting hard for them against LWE.

I've been on here for 20 years and only see it from like two guys. I've been around the Maine South community, and have never heard anyone use that phrase.

Hitters for Glenbard West? Yup. Heard that. But not anything for Maine South.
Vets on this board use Swagger regularly. If you’re not seeing it, you’re not paying attention.

I think when we are talking about boys turning into men, lower level records are not worth all that much. Boys hit puberty and turn into men at different times. You just never know who will improve year to year. And you never know what studs who were moved up to varsity would have made the difference at the lower levels. Broncos best seniors were on varsity as sophomores.
Barrington rarely does that. Maybe Van Ness? That's more a Palatine thing actually. PHS had 7 sophomores start on varsity in 2022 and six this year. Second best player by the end of the season was a sophomore

Reactions: Gene K.
Thanks for your input guy who’s been here 2 months. 🙄
You’re welcome. Been in and out of the board for years. I appreciate your attempt at old timer vs new guy intimidation. It doesn’t change the fact that it’s dumb and you’re a dope. Swagger….dumb.

Reactions: juschill
You’re welcome. Been in and out of the board for years. I appreciate your attempt at old timer vs new guy intimidation. It doesn’t change the fact that it’s dumb and you’re a dope. Swagger….dumb.
I would be angry if my name was Hank too. Go grab a hug from someone.

Funny,
It says you joined in August 2023. A guy that’s in and out for years. Interesting. Care to tell us who you really are.

I agree with the back in forth point, specifically including Scotty Miller special teams score at the end of a game many years back at Wilson Field to advance (off memory so sorry if I’ve errored). Point is that Barrington and MS is usually a battle of spread offenses and very athletic kids every match. Now I hear Broncos QB, RBs, and WRs are really fast and good, of course and no doubt true, but I know MS DEF famously good gap assignments should really slow their roll. MS has a lot of young starters that have been critical to their success as well as Sr studs at LB, WR, DL, and DB. Jr leadership at MS QB, RB will make the difference here in what could be a close game. MS rolls behind QBs feet this week by 3 scores - despite home field and pork chop advantages, but for the nerds here, really do to aggressiveness of MS front 7 on DEF. Just don’t tell Barrington…until Sunday morning.

Barrington rarely does that. Maybe Van Ness? That's more a Palatine thing actually. PHS had 7 sophomores start on varsity in 2022 and six this year. Second best player by the end of the season was a sophomore
It is a true point regarding Barrington moving kids up but I believe their 1200 yard back was a 3 year varsity guy, Fitzpatrick. In any event, my point more so relates to boys turning into men, and puberty. I mean, safe to say the results this year show that may be true in this instance. You never know who will develop and grow as high school careers go on. Particularly when looking at Freshman games, they are little boys compared to their varsity career. I really don't think there is any comparison to be made. Having been on the field in another state as a football official, I routinely see stud freshman who don't grow and are average at best on varsity. On the flip side, I see kids dominate on varsity who I didn't even know were on the team as Freshman or Sophs. Everyone develops differently. Some freshman kids have beards, some don't even have hair on their you know what yet. In my opinion, I don't think you can look backwards with a group of young men.

I agree with the back in forth point, specifically including Scotty Miller special teams score at the end of a game many years back at Wilson Field to advance (off memory so sorry if I’ve errored). Point is that Barrington and MS is usually a battle of spread offenses and very athletic kids every match. Now I hear Broncos QB, RBs, and WRs are really fast and good, of course and no doubt true, but I know MS DEF famously good gap assignments should really slow their roll. MS has a lot of young starters that have been critical to their success as well as Sr studs at LB, WR, DL, and DB. Jr leadership at MS QB, RB will make the difference here in what could be a close game. MS rolls behind QBs feet this week by 3 scores - despite home field and pork chop advantages, but for the nerds here, really do to aggressiveness of MS front 7 on DEF. Just don’t tell Barrington…until Sunday morning.
Yes, and back in 2017, Barrington beat MS handily in the regular season with their all state QB. Then said All state QB (Niro) was injured for the playoff game, which MS won a hard fought game and went on to win the title. That one still hurts.

I agree that MS fitting gaps is excellent. Will this give the Broncos trouble? You could be right. But a 3 score victory prediction will not happen. I think it will be hard fought. Pork Chop alone is worth a score. MS is already down 7-0 before game starts.

Reactions: crusader_of_90
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT