ADVERTISEMENT

St. Rita 38 Prospect 21 Final

RockSoup

Gold Member
Oct 1, 2009
As St. Rita's #1 unofficial homer (I have 'Stang Life tattooed across the top of my stomach even though it now looks like t a n g L i f as the apostrophe S and E have crept around to my back and the other letters have spread out as my former 6 pack has devolved into a keg but back to the game), I am officially concerned.

My concerns:

St, Rita has not been tested since week 3 vs an equal or better opponent. No disrespect to the 3 round 2 state qualifiers that St. Rita played through the weeks 4 through 9, Naz (great team but size difference was noticeable), PC (very good team but very young) and NND (very strong team but lacked the depth as evidenced by a 30-6 Mustangs' win but 14-6 lead at the half). Prospect has what St. Rita's last half of the season's opponents lacked: size, plenty of returning starters from their semifinal team and depth. So we have a true 4 quarter game. You'd have to go back to week 2 vs Brother Rice which came down to a 4th quarter turnover on downs in St. Rita's one score win for a true 4 quarter game. their only 4 quarter game of the season.

The first half performances all season have left a lot to be desired. Providence could have been up 12 if they elected to kick a FG going into half as they held St. Rita to under 10 yards of offense for the half. Being down two scores or more going into halftime is a real possibility and a hole that may be too deep to climb out of.

Short, quick passing games that can go over the top when needed are hard to defend in general and have been an Achilles heel for St. Rita in the past. I will say that the back 7 did an incredible job vs a similar offense against Nazareth but that was Week 5 and this is Week 11 so the only thing we can garner from that is that they have been working on it. But can they stop or slow down Prospect remains to be seen.

And my final concern is the same if you have read me the past 3 weeks. I'm not a believer in the St, Rita 9 vs 11 offense they have decided to go with this year. It has too many 3 and outs, has also turned the ball over on the short side of the field and has not finished (TD) in the red zone enough to give me any confidence going on the road vs. Prospect. You may ask, Rock, how are they 8-2 and so highly ranked while you (me) pout and sulk about not seeing the 2006 ground assault offense. The fact is, the reasons St. Rita has dominated their opponents since week 4 are a crazy good defense like I mean some of those boys are certifiably insane and a boatload of fun to watch and DJ Stewart and 3 fantastic senior linemen. I don't know how many people know DJ Stewart but he is different, I've seen opposing DBs and LBs make good decisions for themselves in the second halfs of games. A power 5 program will come to understand how nice it would be for their offensive attack to have his body type and angles he puts on defenders. And he's doing it in the 9 vs 11 offense they employ which is even more remarkable. But he is able to do it because of his talent and because of Center Charlie Armbruster and Tackles Collin Gerger and Nick Strelczyk. I don't know how Coach Nee and Coach RJ Mattes do it but after losing Val Erickson to graduation and Missouri, the offensive line looks as good as one has come to expect from St. Rita since the Dennis Lick days. I did not expect the line to be as quick, disciplined, explosive and strong as they are. Disciplined? Only 3 holding penalties in 10 games. Say that again out loud. Amazing. But those are the reasons everything looks fine and has been relatively going fine.

Does the recipe work vs Prospect? I don't know.

I do know the defense looks unbeatable when they are rested by long offensive drives but look vulnerable when the offense turns the ball over on the short side of the field and when they are going out there after consecutive 3 and outs as many defenses would be vulnerable in those situations.

I do know Prospect will score. How much? I don't know, but I'd be happy if they kept them under 30 and elated if it was closer to 20. What that means is, St. Rita must score touchdowns when they get to the red zone. It has not been good. Sure a couple of 17 yard DJ Stewart TD runs, and no problem if a big play gets them inside the 3 but overall not good enough for November football. I don't have an amount of points left on the field but the PC game was a perfect example of getting the ball on the short side of the field and settling for 3 or coming away with nothing. Leaving points on the field and/or not stacking first downs will not work vs Prospect.

While I am frustrated the full roster hasn't been showcased like I think it could be or could have been, I still believe in this team and I'm predicting an instant classic and a one score difference game. 31-28. Who has the 31? I don't know. A true toss up. Have fun boys and fans from both teams. See you in Mt. Prospect

Last edited:
Tough game for me to pick. Prospect has size, speed and a very talented offense. They averaged the most points of any 7A team. SR has one of the best uniforms, Todd’s last year and a better defense. Prospect QB just makes plays. #6 Covey is a difference maker. My heart is pulling for SR but my mind says Prospect by a TD. It definitely should be an instant classic! Good luck!

As St. Rita's #1 unofficial homer (I have 'Stang Life tattooed across the top of my stomach even though it now looks like t a n g L i f as the apostrophe S and E have crept around to my back and the other letters have spread out as my former 6 pack has devolved into a keg but back to the game), I am officially concerned.

My concerns:

St, Rita has not been tested since week 3 vs an equal or better opponent. No disrespect to the 3 round 2 state qualifiers that St. Rita played through the weeks 4 through 9, Naz (great team but size difference was noticeable), PC (very good team but very young) and NND (very strong team but lacked the depth as evidenced by a 30-6 Mustangs' win but 14-6 lead at the half). Prospect has what St. Rita's last half of the season's opponents lacked: size, plenty of returning starters from their semifinal team and depth. So we have a true 4 quarter game. You'd have to go back to week 2 vs Brother Rice which came down to a 4th quarter turnover on downs in St. Rita's one score win for a true 4 quarter game. their only 4 quarter game of the season.

The first half performances all season have left a lot to be desired. Providence could have been up 12 if they elected to kick a FG going into half as they held St. Rita to under 10 yards of offense for the half. Being down two scores or more going into halftime is a real possibility and a hole that may be too deep to climb out of.

Short, quick passing games that can go over the top when needed are hard to defend in general and have been an Achilles heel for St. Rita in the past. I will say that the back 7 did an incredible job vs a similar offense against Nazareth but that was Week 5 and this is Week 11 so the only thing we can garner from that is that they have been working on it. But can they stop or slow down Prospect remains to be seen.

And my final concern is the same if you have read me the past 3 weeks. I'm not a believer in the St, Rita 9 vs 11 offense they have decided to go with this year. It has too many 3 and outs, has also turned the ball over on the short side of the field and has not finished (TD) in the red zone enough to give me any confidence going on the road vs. Prospect. You may ask, Rock, how are they 8-2 and so highly ranked while you (me) pout and sulk about not seeing the 2006 ground assault offense. The fact is, the reasons St. Rita has dominated their opponents since week 4 are a crazy good defense like I mean some of those boys are certifiably insane and a boatload of fun to watch and DJ Stewart and 3 fantastic senior linemen. I don't know how many people know DJ Stewart but he is different, I've seen opposing DBs and LBs make good decisions for themselves in the second halfs of games. A power 5 program will come to understand how nice it would be for their offensive attack to have his body type and angles he puts on defenders. And he's doing it in the 9 vs 11 offense they employ which is even more remarkable. But he is able to do it because of his talent and because of Center Charlie Armbruster and Tackles Collin Gerger and Nick Strelczyk. I don't know how Coach Nee and Coach RJ Mattes do it but after losing Val Erickson to graduation and Missouri, the offensive line looks as good as one has come to expect from St. Rita since the Dennis Lick days. I did not expect the line to be as quick, disciplined, explosive and strong as they are. Disciplined? Only 3 holding penalties in 10 games. Say that again out loud. Amazing. But those are the reasons everything looks fine and has been relatively going fine.

Does the recipe work vs Prospect? I don't know.

I do know the defense looks unbeatable when they are rested by long offensive drives but look vulnerable when the offense turns the ball over on the short side of the field and when they are going out there after consecutive 3 and outs as many defenses would be vulnerable in those situations.

I do know Prospect will score. How much? I don't know, but I'd be happy if they kept them under 30 and elated if it was closer to 20. What that means is, St. Rita must score touchdowns when they get to the red zone. It has not been good. Sure a couple of 17 yard DJ Stewart TD runs, and no problem if a big play gets them inside the 3 but overall not good enough for November football. I don't have an amount of points left on the field but the PC game was a perfect example of getting the ball on the short side of the field and settling for 3 or coming away with nothing. Leaving points on the field and/or not stacking first downs will not work vs Prospect.

While I am frustrated the full roster hasn't been showcased like I think it could be or could have been, I still believe in this team and I'm predicting an instant classic and a one score difference game. 31-28. Who has the 31? I don't know. A true toss up. Have fun boys and fans from both teams. See you in Mt. Prospect
I think our games the last two years are the result of us getting beat up more than depth. That line and that back, and that defense will do it to teams. I’d expect to see much the same this week as I’d imagine they will want to keep Vierneisel on the sidelines as much as possible. The tempo of this game will determine the winner IMHO.

BTW you told me that tat was a tramp stamp!!

I think our games the last two years are the result of us getting beat up more than depth. That line and that back, and that defense will do it to teams. I’d expect to see much the same this week as I’d imagine they will want to keep Vierneisel on the sidelines as much as possible. The tempo of this game will determine the winner IMHO.

BTW you told me that tat was a tramp stamp!!
While your tat comment made me spit out my coffee this morning laughing, your point about the pace is spot on and another area of concern for me.

St. Rita likes high pace, and to me they look great playing fast, but, but, but that’s a big decision to see how they go about business Friday night.

Will they give up some aggressiveness and intensity and huddle up to burn 3 minutes up each set of downs or just stay as is and let the chips fall where they may? I don’t know but it also goes back to my love for their 3 headed monster offense they don’t employ, it’s a first down-making machine.

So big emphasis on your point, what pace will they try to establish and/or will the Prospect Offense rip control of the game out of St. Rita’s hands and force the issue ala Rochester 2019 and Wheaton North 2021?

Reactions: Gene K. and eireog
True rival teams respect one another and I’ve always respected SR, their long history and traditions mirror MC and unless they are playing MC, they have had my support, well at least all but 24 hours after they beat MC when I curse them out...nobody’s perfect 😀!

That being said, this matchup concerned me for SR when I saw it, because of passing attack Prospect has. I watched Prospect play Maine South on that Thursday night via the stream and they passed all
over Swagger....and I believe they did it with one of Prospects top players out if I heard that right. When the possibility of SR playing SCN early was mentioned before the pairings came out, I thought SR would win that game by 10 points easily, as SCN seems to be a strong running team and SR’s front 7 is extremely talented. I saw them shut MC’s Dupree down, held him to 30 yards...MC longest run came from Manning on a pitchout. But MC threw at will vs SR, 5 TD passes. I know LA had similar success passing....so while I’m certain SR has made extreme adjustments to their secondary since week 1 and 3, as apparent by the Naz game, Prospects passing game is much greater then Naz. Plus they are at home...weather will be warm for November....it’s going to be a game!

I'll be rooting for Rita. A friend of mine has been lauding Prospect all year so I'm interested to see that put to the test. I also saw the MS/Prospect game on Youtube and Prospect is very good.

One "gambletron" has Rita has a -7 favorite. That gambletron's esteemed colleague - who takes home/road into account - also has the Mustang's as a -7 favorite. I'd personally have it a bit closer than that one direction or the other.

Reactions: RockSoup
I'll be rooting for Rita. A friend of mine has been lauding Prospect all year so I'm interested to see that put to the test. I also saw the MS/Prospect game on Youtube and Prospect is very good.

One "gambletron" has Rita has a -7 favorite. That gambletron's esteemed colleague - who takes home/road into account - also has the Mustang's as a -7 favorite. I'd personally have it a bit closer than that one direction or the other.
#12 SR on the road at #5 Prospect. Prospect scored 62 points Friday. Prospect is probably a TD favorite.

If Prospect is a 7-point underdog, I'll take the moneyline

Reactions: big daddy looch
Having watched prospect this is likely the best offense rita has seen with all due respect to Loyola. The QB-WR duo is electric. I expect a high scoring game.

And MC offense....
To be honest MC and LA coaches took the foot off the gas pedal at the ends of their games against SR. Thou these programs are in direct competition with each other these programs respect each other. In SR's other seven games at least 4 of them Kuska took the foot off the gas early or took the air out of the ball with his play calling.

Having watched prospect this is likely the best offense rita has seen with all due respect to Loyola. The QB-WR duo is electric. I expect a high scoring game.

Seeing both MC's and Prospect's offense this year in person, I don't think Prospect will be the best offense SR has seen all year. Prospect's offense is outstanding and the QB/WR combo is probably best in state.....but MC's offense has a broader attack (outstanding running and passing game). MC's offense put up 42 points on Loyola.

This should be a truly great game!

True rival teams respect one another and I’ve always respected SR, their long history and traditions mirror MC and unless they are playing MC, they have had my support, well at least all but 24 hours after they beat MC when I curse them out...nobody’s perfect 😀!

That being said, this matchup concerned me for SR when I saw it, because of passing attack Prospect has. I watched Prospect play Maine South on that Thursday night via the stream and they passed all
over Swagger....and I believe they did it with one of Prospects top players out if I heard that right. When the possibility of SR playing SCN early was mentioned before the pairings came out, I thought SR would win that game by 10 points easily, as SCN seems to be a strong running team and SR’s front 7 is extremely talented. I saw them shut MC’s Dupree down, held him to 30 yards...MC longest run came from Manning on a pitchout. But MC threw at will vs SR, 5 TD passes. I know LA had similar success passing....so while I’m certain SR has made extreme adjustments to their secondary since week 1 and 3, as apparent by the Naz game, Prospects passing game is much greater then Naz. Plus they are at home...weather will be warm for November....it’s going to be a game!
On the other hand, Prospect's defense is very suspect. It is a difficult game to handicap.

On the other hand, Prospect's defense is very suspect. It is a difficult game to handicap.
I was waiting for someone to point this out. I'm hearing everything about the offense of Prospect, what about their defense? Defense can win you championships the majority of the time, and if I'm hearing their defense is not that good, this could favor the Mustangs if the play calling is right...

I was waiting for someone to point this out. I'm hearing everything about the offense of Prospect, what about their defense? Defense can win you championships the majority of the time, and if I'm hearing their defense is not that good, this could favor the Mustangs if the play calling is right...
There is no secret to SR offense. They look to pound the ball between the tackles, but have outside runs and a limited passing attack to keep you honest.

Question is, how good is Prospect's run defense?

Reactions: chakazulu89
One of the top games of the weekend,no doubt, and while I still need a breakdown of Prospect’s run defense, another thread on this site begs me to ask the question

Does Prospect have a Marching Band?

One of the top games of the weekend,no doubt, and while I still need a breakdown of Prospect’s run defense, another thread on this site begs me to ask the question

They do. Historically a very good drumline as well. Haven't heard them perform in quite some time though

They do, and there is actually a rift between band parents and football parents. There has been brutal Facebook arguments between band parents and football parents because band parents apparently leave the football game after halftime, and have claimed the band is more entertaining than the football team. Football parents have called this out as disrespectful, and it spirals from there.

They do, and there is actually a rift between band parents and football parents. There has been brutal Facebook arguments between band parents and football parents because band parents apparently leave the football game after halftime, and have claimed the band is more entertaining than the football team. Football parents have called this out as disrespectful, and it spirals from there.
Sounds dumb but to me especially from the band parents. Where else is the band going to get the opportunity to play each week? One could argue their wouldn’t be a band if it wasn’t for football. They certainly wouldn’t have a huge crowd. IMO

Sounds dumb but to me especially from the band parents. Where else is the band going to get the opportunity to play each week? One could argue their wouldn’t be a band if it wasn’t for football. They certainly wouldn’t have a huge crowd. IMO
They have competitions and opportunities. The four home football games are not the attraction.

Go to a Marian of the Heights game. The stands went from a full house to empty after half time.

That's been going on for years at a lot of schools. It happened at SR in the late 60's. The parents had section right next to the band. Many would leave after half time too. When told they would loose their reserved seating they would stay till the first couple of plays in the 4th quarter.

The band should stay for the whole game or not perform at all. I agree, its disrespectful considering they wouldn't being playing in front of crowd without the football team.

Does Prospect have cash sale for tickets or are they only via ticket app?

During regular season they had cash tix for sale, but there was only one person taking the cash so it was a long line. Definitely easier to just buy online.

Is there a decent stream for this or are they going with NFHS?

Through a couple of texts, I wanted to make sure readers understand that my 9 v 11 description of the St. Rita offense doesn’t target anyone on the offense. It’s how opposing DCs can play against the St. Rita O. 9v11 comes from the backside end and the inside DB on the inside WR are allowed to play the RB runs more aggressively, turning pretty decent holes and an RB that isn’t tackled by one often subject to shorter gains the plays potential due to the quicker ability to gang tackle. Whereas I believe the 3 headed monster offense leaves two defenders to dictate the play and is actually 11v9 football and gives that type of offense the leverage.

If all that meant nothing to you, fine. But since teenagers read this site, just making sure I made it clear it’s about how the defense is allowed to react. My contention is that by forcing the D to honor 3 lanes over the width of about 15 yards, you actually create more space by tightening formations up.

I’ve always been staunch and true to the program and that hasn’t changed. Many things are clicking and St. Rita is a great team. This week is an incredibly, exciting challenge. Can’t wait until kickoff!

#goRitago

Through a couple of texts, I wanted to make sure readers understand that my 9 v 11 description of the St. Rita offense doesn’t target anyone on the offense. It’s how opposing DCs can play against the St. Rita O. 9v11 comes from the backside end and the inside DB on the inside WR are allowed to play the RB runs more aggressively, turning pretty decent holes and an RB that isn’t tackled by one often subject to shorter gains the plays potential due to the quicker ability to gang tackle. Whereas I believe the 3 headed monster offense leaves two defenders to dictate the play and is actually 11v9 football and gives that type of offense the leverage.

If all that meant nothing to you, fine. But since teenagers read this site, just making sure I made it clear it’s about how the defense is allowed to react. My contention is that by forcing the D to honor 3 lanes over the width of about 15 yards, you actually create more space by tightening formations up.

I’ve always been staunch and true to the program and that hasn’t changed. Many things are clicking and St. Rita is a great team. This week is an incredibly, exciting challenge. Can’t wait until kickoff!

#goRitago
I picture you breaking down film all night last night and calling in sick this morning to watch more film before heading off the NW burbs.

#goRitago
Last week SR went up by 24 and took the air out of the ball. The other side of the coin is to run a lot of stuff that you haven't run all year to make next week's opponent practice for those plays.

#goRitago
St. Rita is the luckiest team in the country to have 350 offensive coordinators. The team has one in the booth and the rest of US in the stands. Other teams call the 349 parents and alumni. I put the US in the last sentence because I'm in that group also at times.

During the 6 game covid season I was in the booth for one game helping with the defensive stats because of of the coaches had his time off of work cancelled. Two observations from that one game. First the game is a lot faster in the booth. They are replaying the play before the pile of players are off the ground. Second assists on tackles are given out like George Halas gave away contract bonuses. There are no freebies. So this is my shout out to all the guys who work behind the scenes.

To SR's statistician Dennis Lucas who is retiring at the end of the season. Hear is to you buddy!!!! Dennis lives in Nevada. He flies in for 2-3 games and goes home for a week. Then flies back. The does this all season and has for the last 3-4 years at least. He and Doc Grieco (tonight is 641 straight games w/o a miss) are two of the alumni who make the rest of pale in comparison.

To those haters who want to dissolve all the privates all I can say is you just don't understand our commitment. To us it's a lot more than just a school.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT