ADVERTISEMENT

So who is the Top team heading into 2016?

But running back wasn't a need for Nazareth. He transferred in December of the year before. We would have been just fine with Ivory at Running back.

You are redirecting. Can I get a ruling from @JCHILLTOPPERS here?

Let me rephrase: Did the Dean transfer have nothing to do with football?

He wasn't deemed eligible until a day or two before the season. He was still going to classes. He would not have gone back to NV if he wasn't allowed to play.

It had nothing to do with football.

Why did he choose Nazareth over the others? He chose the best environment for him, somewhere he was comfortable. He needed to get away from NV, and Nazareth welcomed him. He was going there whether or not he played football his senior year, he just happened to be granted eligibility.

Reactions: DDIFUSCO
As a GW fan, I can tell you that next year they simply reload with some very talented kids. My overall impression of the current junior and sophomore classes, having watched the over the last few years, is that they are the best group if kids I've seen at GW. I really mean that. No single player stands out yet, but the tallent pool is the best I've seen. In fact, here is a wild prediction for next year: GW will have the best defense in the state, and the best defense in the history of the school. The best.

What should edgy take back ???
HF and MC were Great teams

They are but many fans who knew what GW was bringing back felt that we were on the same level as H-F and MC and believed we should be considered for some preseason love as such.

On Edgy's podcast with Dallas Jackson, the comment was that those two teams sat at the top, then there was a wide gap until you got to the next team. Edgy had us #3, so the gap was between us and them. I took exception then and made a few snarky comments over the next few weeks then forgot about it.

When I read Edgy's opening thread comment of "Last year I had no doubt at this same time last season" it triggered the infant in me to go back and open up the comment in some sort of post season, "you didn't love us enough early on" gotcha post.

My comment was childish but was meant in a playful manner. When Edgy put me in my place, I went back and reread my comment and saw where mine was blunt and ugly, so I "liked" his putting me in my place.

It is all good. I had a ton of confidence in GW and in the end, feel great about the season we had. And to bring it back to the thread topic, I think GW will be highly competitive next year with 8 starters returning and an impressive soph class. In another thread earlier this year, I suggested Hetlett would do a microphone drop and walk away to rosier climes after winning the title this year. I never speak directly to him and have no knowledge of his plans, but he just seems like he is happy at GW and is in for the long haul. I sure hope so.

Last edited:
Reactions: chuck998
I
They are but many fans who knew what GW was bringing back felt that we were on the same level as H-F and MC and believed we should be considered for some preseason love as such.

On Edgy's podcast with Dallas Jackson, the comment was that those two teams sat at the top, then there was a wide gap until you got to the next team. Edgy had us #3, so the gap was between us and them. I took exception then and made a few snarky comments over the next few weeks then forgot about it.

When I read Edgy's opening thread comment of "Last year I had no doubt at this same time last season" it triggered the infant in me to go back and open up the comment in some sort of post season, "you didn't love us enough early on" gotcha post.

My comment was childish but was meant in a playful manner. When Edgy put me in my place, I went back and reread my comment and saw where mine was blunt and ugly, so I "liked" his putting me in my place.

It is all good. I had a ton of confidence in GW and in the end, feel great about the season we had. And to bring it back to the thread topic, I think GW will be highly competitive next year with 8 starters returning and an impressive soph class. In another thread earlier this year, I suggested Hetlett would do a microphone drop and walk away to rosier climes after winning the title this year. I never speak directly to him and have no knowledge of his plans, but he just seems like he is happy at GW and is in for the long haul. I sure hope so.
I imagine he would only leave for another job in another state. He is arguably the top coach in the state right now, and is at arguably a top 3 program in the state as well. If I was him, I would stay and put up similar numbers that Frank Lenti has over the next 25-30 years and enjoy winning 5-10 more state titles.

Reactions: capnbillhitters
I

I imagine he would only leave for another job in another state. He is arguably the top coach in the state right now, and is at arguably a top 3 program in the state as well. If I was him, I would stay and put up similar numbers that Frank Lenti has over the next 25-30 years and enjoy winning 5-10 more state titles.
Does Hetlet have much influence on the offense or does he allow his OC to run that side of the ball? He is first and foremost a defensive coach, no?

Last edited:
Easier said then done
The ability to win one or two compared to many easier said then done

I don't know, I have no insider knowledge. However, guessing if he has his own defensive philosophy and is giving talks at clinics on defense, he is calling and running the defense. I'm sure he's saying this is the type of scheme I want to see on offense like any other HC, but I doubt he is calling plays.
Does Hetlet have much influence on the offense or does he allow his OC to run that side of the ball? I believe I read he is first and foremost a defensive coach.

Does Hetlet have much influence on the offense or does he allow his OC to run that side of the ball? He is first and foremost a defensive coach, no?

There is rarely a play called in which he doesn't have input. Eyes in the sky speaking to both OC and Hetlett. Looks like OC discusses with Hetlett then pulls the trigger. In years past, you could feel some games being played very conservatively, but this year, the plan has loosened up (except the MC game). Never sure whether that is Hetlett changing or the effect of the new OC. After that title game, nobody is asking any questions, we just feel lucky to have Hetlett.

One example of the change could be seen with 1:00 to go in the first half with a 4th & 4 on our own 41. Everyone in the free world thinks, punt it, pin them back and head into half time down 7. The fact that he went for it was beyond ba11sy, but the fact that he had our QB throw it 40 yards down field was epic. Who cares who called the play, the point is he allowed it to be run, which says a lot. Momentum shifted on that play and after a 9 minute drive to open the 2nd half, GW had the lead for good.

If he doesn't run that 4th down play, we miss out on one of the all time TDs in GW history. If you haven't seen it, you can check my twitter feed. Epic

One example of the change could be seen with 1:00 to go in the first half with a 4th & 4 on our own 41. Everyone in the free world thinks, punt it, pin them back and head into half time down 7. The fact that he went for it was beyond ba11sy, but the fact that he had our QB throw it 40 yards down field was epic. Who cares who called the play, the point is he allowed it to be run, which says a lot. Momentum shifted on that play and after a 9 minute drive to open the 2nd half, GW had the lead for good.

If he doesn't run that 4th down play, we miss out on one of the all time TDs in GW history. If you haven't seen it, you can check my twitter feed. Epic
I did see it. I'm guessing that is one of the signature Brodner runs of the year.

On the television broadcast, it was questioned whether or not the guy who caught the big 4th down pass was the intended receiver. It did seem as if he cut in front of whom the ball may have been originally intended. In any event, it was a ballsy call and a huge play in the game. No doubt.

Reactions: capnbillhitters
I

Yeah..I played around with the idea in a thread awhile back. Probably a little disrespectful to throw around comments about our coach. I will say that Hetlett found the perfect school for his style of play. GW was named the Hitters before he got there, but never has a nickname and a coaching style been more perfectly aligned.

He might not get the same response from the coddled children of the California elite that all demand their kids get 20 touches a game and a spread offense.

Reactions: pjjp
I did see it. I'm guessing that is one of the signature Brodner runs of the year.

On the television broadcast, it was questioned whether or not the guy who caught the big 4th down pass was the intended receiver. It did seem as if he cut in front of whom the ball may have been originally intended. In any event, it was a ballsy call and a huge play in the game. No doubt.

Considering the moment (05 left in half), that was certainly an enormous run. He had so many great TDs that left everyone shaking their heads. One of his best plays wasn't even a touchdown, but a one handed catch along the sidelines against HC on 3rd and 11 to set up his TD on the next play. Different thread though...Out

Stop hating on Naz! Kids and their parents want them to go there because they will get a great education and play on a kick ass football team with some great coaches. As long as the transfers are done by the rule, who cares. The freshmen class this year is absolutely amazing and will keep the winning tradition going.

1 LA 2 GW 3 LWE 4 Montini 5 Naz 6 Palatine 7 Rice 8 Cary

MC honestly is probably 4th pre-season in Blue behind LA BR PC. Warfield and 2 good classes together PC will be under the radar after this season and have a bounce back. MC getting a Montini "A" team as well. Candidly MC might go 5-4. However could do damage in playoffs if Thomas does well at QB and things develop ie '14

We probably see another LA Palatine game in semi or title. 7A GW v Montini. 6A Naz v Pennington if Cary is there or PC Warfield

From my understanding GBN might be DVC favorite. Really don't know for sure though.

Last edited:
Reactions: kpjasion
Dean,

IHSA said Montini not SF'd to 7A next year even though that's what we all thought. Time will tell but my guess is they don't want to run the risk of losing another state title to a private because of the ill conceived attempted screw job.

MC honestly is probably 4th pre-season in Blue behind LA BR PC. Warfield and 2 good classes together PC will be under the radar after this season and have a bounce back. MC getting a Montini "A" team as well. Candidly MC might go 5-4. However could do damage in playoffs if Thomas does well at QB and things develop ie '14

We probably see another LA Palatine game in semi or title. 7A GW v Montini. 6A Naz v Pennington if Cary is there or PC Warfield

From my understanding GBN might be DVC favorite. Really don't know for sure though.

Will be interesting to see if Montini can hold on to that potential ranking next year. What appeared to separate them from the rest of the pack this year was their team speed, particularly on defense. A lot of that speed may be coming back as skill players on the offensive side of the ball, but according to IHSA, they'll be losing 9 starters from that defensive unit.

In my humble opinion I'd drop them and Naz to the back, move the rest of the pack up. Cary Grove looked good all year and has a ton coming back.
LA > GW > LWE > Palatine > Rice > CG > Montini > Naz

The Rice offense will better than it was this year they have a ton of talent at the skilled positions. The question is going to be their defense which was suspect this past year which lost a lot including lots of 2 year starters. There secondary will be a strength as well as big time home run threats on special teams. But come playoff time defense win championships in the larger classses.

The Rice offense will better than it was this year they have a ton of talent at the skilled positions. The question is going to be their defense which was suspect this past year which lost a lot including lots of 2 year starters. There secondary will be a strength as well as big time home run threats on special teams. But come playoff time defense win championships in the larger classses.

Who does Rice have taking over at QB next year? He will have some dangerous weapons but I find it hard to believe anyone could come in and pick up right where Miller left off. That kid played great this year. Also, think the loss of Blain is going to be bigger than some seem to think. In a few of the games I saw this year he impressed me even more than Smalling, which is saying something as Smalling is terrific.

Reactions: biglatte
Dean,

IHSA said Montini not SF'd to 7A next year even though that's what we all thought. Time will tell but my guess is they don't want to run the risk of losing another state title to a private because of the ill conceived attempted screw job.

The interesting part is people really believe this thought. There are plenty of private options in 7A (PC won last year) where there is no need to protect that class. If anything, 6A which was typically a public school championship is more affected by not moving Montini up. If there is an attempt to get more public champions, moving Montini to 7A will make the most sense. Right now PR or CG look solid to contend in 6A.

QB is a question mark

Who does Rice have taking over at QB next year? He will have some dangerous weapons but I find it hard to believe anyone could come in and pick up right where Miller left off. That kid played great this year. Also, think the loss of Blain is going to be bigger than some seem to think. In a few of the games I saw this year he impressed me even more than Smalling, which is saying something as Smalling is terrific.

I thought Blain was a junior, no?

They had an heir apparent I believe was a junior. Should have great depth as well frosh went 9-0.

Ok my bad, I had Blain (Sr) & Valladay (Jr) mixed up. Yes Blain was very solid & will be missed. Valladay was the change up, larger, bruiser-type RB.

DBs Lacey, Olson and Keane are solid - but have work to do. Most likely will need to have a rangy kid like Blaine back at Safety but who that is? Veal, Iben King and ? will be LBs. Washington, Hutchenson, Malopsy are solid DTs. Will need to get in some good pass rush DEs. OL returns 2, Houston, Valladay, Smalling, Murphy, etc will be solid on the skilled players. QB is Borelli - similar to Miller - not a lot reps as Jr then thrown into the fire. Richardson the K returns.

Reactions: biglatte
I truly believe HS will be back. They have some studs on that defense arron woods and deontae curry, jack bortman that will return and probably contribute on offense as well. Yes they lose a ton of offensive talent but they have some guys coming up through the program that will be able to contribute. I honestly believe this coaching staff know how to get the most out of these players as well. It will be a battle in the west suburban conference but the look in these kids eyes shows they ate ready for the challenge. Trust me

Sorry @prouddad4 , they're a 5-4 or 6-3 team next year. They won't be as good as the teams the past 2 years, they'll be solid but not a "top team".

Downers south with big comeback. Next years jrs haven't lost a game in two years

I can see that, I see DGS, HS & Willowbrook slugging it out in the Gold. I don't think DGS will be "back" but they'll be better than they have been recently. DGS vs HS is always a fun game and usually for the conference championship. Hopefully it's the same this year.

As a GW fan, I can tell you that next year they simply reload with some very talented kids. My overall impression of the current junior and sophomore classes, having watched the over the last few years, is that they are the best group if kids I've seen at GW. I really mean that. No single player stands out yet, but the tallent pool is the best I've seen. In fact, here is a wild prediction for next year: GW will have the best defense in the state, and the best defense in the history of the school. The best.

Greeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaat

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT