ADVERTISEMENT

SF 37 MP 14 Final

SF is the best team in 5a but a healthy margin. It’s HS playoffs, best team doesn’t always win but SF is a prohibitive favorite imo.

Back in the day the Grand Puba would have Kenwood vs Simeon/Young Wednesday & that winner vs Morgan Park Saturday

This game could have been closer but MP had two touchdowns called back because of penalties. SF was able to move the ball, very balanced and for the most part contained the MP offense.

Tons of penalties called on both sides. I thought MP was a complete team…very well coached.

We had shut the truck horn down in the second quarter and turned the P.A. system off in the forth quarter (blaring music deep into the MP play call).
MP awarded 15 then? It’s the second instance that the extension of their sideline received a warning. No?

SF is the best team in 5a but a healthy margin. It’s HS playoffs, best team doesn’t always win but SF is a prohibitive favorite imo.
SF is the best team in the country let alone the state or 5A. Did you see what they did in week 9 to Naz? 3 scores!!!

Crown 'em!

Still would have loved to see the old days where Whitney Young vs Kenwood on Wednesday & winner Saturday vs MP

MP awarded 15 then? It’s the second instance that the extension of their sideline received a warning. No?
I've never heard "extension of the sideline" before.

These issues are administrative and were handled through the proper AD channel. They have nothing to do with game penalty procedures.

Artificial Noisemakers: Fans are allowed to use artificial noisemakers at football playoff games if the host school administration approves.
We didn't approve.
Here's a link to more information that might help:
IHSA Football Terms & Conditions

Last edited:
Always be wary of playing a team twice, especially at their place.
I'm hearing Naz is thinking about having equipment turn in on Wednesday to save the Frannies the trouble of driving to LGP. There is just no answer for best quarterback in the country and the top receiving group to ever play the game. Not to mention that running back they have that scores on every touch. Rumor has it IHSA is looking into whether or not they can award them all 8 trophies next week because they beat Naz by 3 scores in week 9.

• Haha
Reactions: Gene K.
I've never heard "extension of the sideline" before.

These issues are administrative and were handled through the proper AD channel. They have nothing to do with game penalty procedures.

Artificial Noisemakers: Fans are allowed to use artificial noisemakers at football playoff games if the host school administration approves.
We didn't approve.
Here's a link to more information that might help you:
IHSA Football Terms & Conditions
I’m not above learning something new everyday. The ToC and NFHS don’t necessarily make a big deal of it (like you said just alerting the game administrators, ADs) some states, do. The crew’s handling of the situation is/was correct. Accept my hat tip as my apology for implying otherwise.

Reactions: William Foster
I dont like seeing any high school team have to play anyone twice in one season.
I'm ok with a semi final or final rematch but what they do to the Catholics every year is criminal. Oh Mt Carmel lost ONE game to LOYOLA? well lets just bump them down to a 6 seed and make them play St Rita first round. Then lets have that 6 seed embarrass our 3rd seed in the quarters.

I liked the 2015 move they made after the Catholics beat up the publics in '14 their fix was to put JCA (a perennial southern bracket dweller) in the northern bracket so they had to play Naz in the quarterfinals instead of the state finals.

Here is to hoping we get that state final this year!

I'm hearing Naz is thinking about having equipment turn in on Wednesday to save the Frannies the trouble of driving to LGP. There is just no answer for best quarterback in the country and the top receiving group to ever play the game. Not to mention that running back they have that scores on every touch. Rumor has it IHSA is looking into whether or not they can award them all 8 trophies next week because they beat Naz by 3 scores in week 9.
Season 9 Lol GIF by The Office

Reactions: William Foster
We had shut the truck horn down in the second quarter and turned the P.A. system off in the fourth quarter (blaring music deep into the MP play call).
They have been warned about the band/ music playing while the opponent's offense is at the line and in their cadence. I saw it vs DGN and Rita also. This is an issue that warrants a UNS.

🤣 🤣 They beat JCA by a whopping 5 points at home in a game that JC led most of the way. IMO, there is no prohibitive favorite in 5A

Reactions: Alexander32
🤣 🤣 They beat JCA by a whopping 5 points at home in a game that JC led most of the way. IMO, there is no prohibitive favorite in 5A
That may be true about the JCA game BUT in week 9 they beat Naz by 3 scores. Let's face it...it's Franny's world and we are just lucky to be living in it.

Reactions: USD24
Agree wholeheartedly with this. JCA controlled most of that game and is an especially tough matchup for SF. SF was fortunate to get a few bounces go their way.

SF will have to pull a big upset of Nazareth before they’d get a crack at either JCA/Provi.

If I had to pick a favorite at this stage though it’s JCA. Big, physical, talented and have been clocking people all playoffs. Grisby behind that line is a load to defend.

They’re a different team now. In a rematch SF wins by multiple scores. Nothing against JCA at all but I’ll always bet on the team with the best QB in state.

In the state?! You mean the country?

They also beat Naz by 3 scores in week 9 a school that at this point just shouldn’t even have a team with their mediocre at best QB and average receiving group. I bet SF doesn’t even send their starters for Saturday’s matchup. Why would they waste their time after that week 9 beat down.

I'm ok with a semi final or final rematch but what they do to the Catholics every year is criminal. Oh Mt Carmel lost ONE game to LOYOLA? well lets just bump them down to a 6 seed and make them play St Rita first round. Then lets have that 6 seed embarrass our 3rd seed in the quarters.

I liked the 2015 move they made after the Catholics beat up the publics in '14 their fix was to put JCA (a perennial southern bracket dweller) in the northern bracket so they had to play Naz in the quarterfinals instead of the state finals.

Here is to hoping we get that state final this year!
Catholic schools are not getting the shaft in playoff pairings.
The IHSA has a very objective and documented formula for how teams are seeded: Wins, then Playoff Points, etc..
Mount Carmel wound up a #6 seed in 7A because there were 5 teams with 9-0 records, the first ranking criteria.
Mount Carmel had accumulated more Playoff Points than any other 8-1 and by doing so earned the top seed for an 8-1 team in 7A.
My only beef with the IHSA seeding system is that 1A-6A are not seeded 1-32 like 7A & 8A.

Reactions: stl705 and Irish LB
Catholic schools are not getting the shaft in playoff pairings.
The IHSA has a very objective and documented formula for how teams are seeded: Wins, then Playoff Points, etc..
Mount Carmel wound up a #6 seed in 7A because there were 5 teams with 9-0 records, the first ranking criteria.
Mount Carmel had accumulated more Playoff Points than any other 8-1 and by doing so earned the top seed for an 8-1 team in 7A.
My only beef with the IHSA seeding system is that 1A-6A are not seeded 1-32 like 7A & 8A.
Yes I know how they come up with the pairings my point was it’s not a good system. No one would seed the Mt Carmel at 6 besides the IHSA’s stupid formula. 1-32 would be way better and get rid of some committee drawing weird boundary lines like in 2015. I can’t remember which but I’m pretty sure JCA was more south than a school that was placed in the south that year. I’d have to research though.

They’re a different team now. In a rematch SF wins by multiple scores. Nothing against JCA at all but I’ll always bet on the team with the best QB in state.
Hopefully, we’ll find out next weekend,

Yes I know how they come up with the pairings my point was it’s not a good system. No one would seed the Mt Carmel at 6 besides the IHSA’s stupid formula. 1-32 would be way better and get rid of some committee drawing weird boundary lines like in 2015. I can’t remember which but I’m pretty sure JCA was more south than a school that was placed in the south that year. I’d have to research though.
1-32 is a start and I've been a big fan of that and hopefully the IHSA will go that way eventually for all classes. I posted this at the start of the playoffs but below is 5A seeded 1-32 this year. It doesn't necessarily fix everything that you see as a bias. In this set up JCA would have had to play Carmel in round 2, potentially SHG/St. Francis in the quarters, and potentially Naz/Provi in the semi's as well as JCA/St. Francis.

As far as north/south, teams like JCA will always be on the border because it's not some arbitrary committee drawing weird boundaries. For 5A, typically the border usually falls around route 80. They take the 32 teams and the 16 northern most teams go north and the other 16 go south. Looking at 5A in 2015, the only school who would have been close to JCA in terms of north/south would be Lincoln Way West and they are further south than JCA. Since going to 8 classes JCA has gone north 11 times and south 7 times so they don't typically go south.

While the system is flawed, it is as transparent as can be. You know what it takes to get in the playoffs and approximately where you will be ranked based on your record. So there's really no way any school can say there's a bias either for or against them. The only question for a handful of teams is which class they will end up in.

(1) Morris (9-0)

(32) Sterling (4-5)

(16) Chicago (Noble/UIC) (7-2)

(17) Chicago (Lindblom) (7-2)

(8) Mundelein (Carmel) (8-1)

(25) Troy (Triad) (6-3)

(9) Glen Ellyn (Glenbard South) (8-1)

(24) JCA (6-3)

(4) Antioch (9-0)

(29) Chicago (Englewood STEM) (5-4)

(13) Peoria (7-2)

(20) SHG (6-3)

(5) Chicago (Morgan Park) (8-1)

(28) Chicago (Corliss) [Coop] (5-4)

(12) Wheaton (St. Frnacis) (7-2)

(21) Country Club Hills (Hillcrest) (6-3)

(2) Chicago (Payton) (9-0)

(31) LaGrange Park (Nazareth Academy) (4-5)

(15) Metamora (7-2)

(18) Carbondale (7-2)

(7) Sycamore (8-1)

(26) Mt. Vernon (6-3)

(10) Highland (8-1)

(23) Evergreen Park (6-3)

(3) Crystal Lake (Prairie Ridge) (9-0)

(30) Tinley Park (5-4)

(14) Rochelle (7-2)

(19) Calumet City (Thornton Fractional North) (7-2)

(6) Morton (8-1)

(27) New Lenox (Providence Catholic) (5-4)

(11) Mahomet (Seymour) (7-2)

(22) Decatur (MacArthur) (6-3)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT