ADVERTISEMENT

Private school question...

HHSTigerFan

May 29, 2001
How many house students beyond grades 9-12?? I know Aurora Christian does... Who else??

Yep.... and I think it's a terrible idea that will cost them even more enrollment, especially in BE53...

Who cares if Catholic Schools in Kankakee are consolidating? If it helps promote Catholic Education and keeps a school open it should be lauded, too many Catholic Schools are closing and I am all for doing whatever to keep them open and offer the education to all families that want it. While public education is an option in the suburbs and other areas, it's not an option for all people in all areas.

HHS- is the consolidation a concern in the area? All of those kids are already attending a Catholic School, so it's not like they would be taking kids from the local public school and putting them in the same building at BMAC. It shouldn't matter to anyone other than the parents of the kids enrolled at these schools.

But its likely this plan will close a school and likely lose total enrollment in the area.. don't see anyway this actually increases enrollment unless they feel they are losing too making kids as incoming freshmen from the 3 schools..

Originally posted by HHSTigerFan:
How many house students beyond grades 9-12?? I know Aurora Christian does... Who else??
Many non-Catholic private schools that offer high school also include grades younger than high school. Latin, Parker, Chicago Waldorf, North Shore Country Day, Elgin Academy, Morgan Park Academy, University of Chicago Lab, Christian Liberty, Christian Heritage, Chicago Christian, Rockford Lutheran, Peoria Christian, Timothy Christian, etc.

Very few Catholic schools in Illinois are like that. St. Benedict, Northridge Prep and Willows Academy are a few that come to mind.

But its likely this plan will close a school and likely lose total enrollment in the area.. don't see anyway this actually increases enrollment unless they feel they are losing too making kids as incoming freshmen from the 3 schools..
Not likely close a school. Definitely close one and maybe more than one. The whole idea is to close schools through consolidation.

Part of the problem facing Catholic school systems is that there are too many very small Catholic schools that are not achieving operating efficiencies and are not able to provide some of the academic extras (such as art, music or academic tracks, for example) because of their very small size. If you can take three schools of 150 kids each and consolidate them into one school of 400 (allowing for some fallout due to that consolidation), then you only need to heat, electrify and maintain one school building, have one principal, one website, one cafeteria, one school nurse, etc. You can then do things like place kids in academic tracks, and offer such programs as music, art, foreign language, etc.

It wasn't long ago that Kankakee had 8 Catholic grade schools ... There are currently 3... and now a chance of 1...

Enjoy your higher tax bill. It's what you want anyway, right?

Maybe they could teach proper use of ellipses if there were more students in the public school system in your area.

This post was edited on 3/18 1:45 PM by mchsalumni

It wasn't long ago that Kankakee had 8 Catholic grade schools ... There are currently 3... and now a chance of 1...
Better to have one strong one of 400 than three not-so-strong ones of 150.

Why the heck would my tax bill be any higher?? Good schools, families smart enough to stay "home"................

It must really burn you up that families make the sacrifice to send their kids to a Catholic school.

Consider this: instead of promising their employees pensions that they'll have no way of making good on, the Catholic schools make tough, and often unpopular, decisions concerning school operations.

But only about 15 miles east of Kankakee, the leadership there has decided to give their families a choice. If you're low or moderate income, you may request a school choice scholarship, for your child. And you may take that scholarship to a school of your choice. A 50% scholarship is worth up to $4800 and a 90% scholarship is worth 90% of what the local per-student funding is.

As a result, there are 30,000 little Hoosiers attending schools of their choosing this year.

Guess what?? Public schools are also making tough choices as well...
http://www.intellectualtakeout.org/sites/www.intellectualtakeout.org/files/chart-graph/PublicSchoolingSince1970.PNG

Yes, and they are the WRONG choices.

Where else but the public school system does the price keep going up and the quality keep going down? Public schools are a monopoly in the market of non-tuition based education. And it shows.
This post was edited on 3/19 9:42 AM by ramblinman

Private schools can't keep their doors open, the market is saying loud and clear that they are not the answer...

Test scores are remaining constant so that doesn't mean they are failing, now many unknowns in a study like that..

Private schools can't keep their doors open, the market is saying loud and clear that they are not the answer...
That is incorrect.

According to the ISBE, there were 706 private schools registered in 2012-13 and 712 registered in 2013-14.

In terms of numbers of students, private school enrollment has declined. So has enrollment in Illinois public schools.

In 1976-77, there were 2,238,129 students enrolled in Illinois public schools and 372,755 students enrolled in private schools. In 2011-12, the most recent year with data available, the ISBE reports 2,087,628 public school students and 233,825 private school students.

In 1976, the private high school I attended charged annual tuition of a little over $1000. This year, it is over $15,000.

The very thing you claim is not a disadvantage for private schools is the primary reason for the drop in students.

I said it not a disadvantage when speaking about sports only, keep twisting...

I guess it's only the Carholic school model that's failing, I stand corrected...

You have your list of 25 small schools with better overall athletic programs than HHS?? You blew your load when I made the comment, but in two years time you continue to dodge the question... Kinda reminds me how quiet you were after Herscher 21 Mac 18...

HHS,

Public and Private schools all have their certain advantages. What's the best school for each student is different for every kid in the family and it's best for the parents with their kids to make that decision.

I do think if both public and private schools had the same cost structure (for example real estate taxes covering the cost of both schools and no extra tuition had to be paid for the private schools) that you would see a boatload of students leaving the public school system to go to the nearby private schools.

That's just my opinion and my family supports kids going to both the public and private school systems and happy with both of them here in the suburbs.

Wassup
This post was edited on 3/19 4:27 PM by Wassup13

I said it not a disadvantage when speaking about sports only, keep twisting...

I guess it's only the Carholic school model that's failing, I stand corrected...

You have your list of 25 small schools with better overall athletic programs than HHS?? You blew your load when I made the comment, but in two years time you continue to dodge the question... Kinda reminds me how quiet you were after Herscher 21 Mac 18...
I'm not going to give you a list of 25 small schools with overall athletic programs better than HHS. I know how that would work. I would give you 25, and you would nitpick here and there. Not going to do it. One school I know would be on that list, however, is Alleman. Go ahead and try and nitpick that one.

Also, I find it very telling that you claim that HHS has one of the best small school athletic programs, but you couch your claim by challenging me to find 25 better small school programs and you want me to be sure to take into consideration regional and sectional titles...as if being #26 is something to really crow about. Yet, when it comes to Alleman football, you don't think they should be top tier because they haven't won a title.

You are the King of talking out of both sides of your mouth and of the double standard.

1. If you think Alleman is as good as good of a program as JCA, Montini, SHG, Mt Carmel and Providence, tear it up... you will be the only one that does... personally I don't think they have been as successful as a few others as well, Newman, Aurora Christian, Boylan more recently... You going to argue with me on any of that??

2. If you would ask I-8 people who has the best athletic program in the conference, most would say HHS... I-8 is one of the top 4-5 small school conferences in the state... You do the rest of the math... Last time I asked you to come up with a handful of small schools that have won more football, basketball, soccer and baseball games than HHS the last 20 years and you also failed to do that.. of course you did.. But you are also the guy that claimed Mac would destroy Herscher..

So wait... Your one example that you were certain about being better was Alleman... And comment way back was one of the top boys athletic programs..

Alleman has better football and cross country

Herscher has better basketball, baseball, soccer, track and wrestling..

My Brother in Law lived in Kankakee and went to Hersher and to this day still says it was the trashiest and worst school ever. And he's a teacher who knows about academics. This was also within the last 15 years.

Originally posted by godfthr53:

My Brother in Law lived in Kankakee and went to Hersher and to this day still says it was the trashiest and worst school ever. And he's a teacher who knows about academics. This was also within the last 15 years.
My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from
this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw Ferris
pass out at 31 Flavors last night. I guess it's pretty serious.

Well if you ask Kankakee County real estate agents they will tell you it's the best district in the county... believe it's still the lowest low income school... And some recent ranking listed it as the best...

But hey, whatever some mystery brother in law that you never mentioned before says... lol

Some service ranked it #66 high school, was maybe 15 small schools ranked ahead of it..

It's a good district, taxes and class sizes kept low.. my third grade son has 19 kids in his class..

So wait... Your one example that you were certain about being better was Alleman... And comment way back was one of the top boys athletic programs..

Alleman has better football and cross country

Herscher has better basketball, baseball, soccer, track and wrestling..
Let's go through an exercise.

Since the multiplier went into effect in 2005, let's identify the titles won by each school in each sport. I'll do Alleman. You do HHS. Let me start by pointing out that Alleman has an actual enrollment of 464 with 16 varsity sports for boys and girls, while HHS has an actual enrollment of 606 with 12 varsity sports for boys and girls. I did not include cheerleading (which both schools offer) as a sport for purposes of comparison.

Alleman Boys
Baseball: 3 regionals, 1 sectional and 1 state runner up
Hoops: 2 regionals
X Country: 4 team finals qualifiers
Football: 8 qualifiers, 3 state runners up
Golf: 3 regionals, 1 sectional, 1 team finals qualifier
Soccer: 2 regionals
Tennis
Track: 3 sectionals
Wrestling: 1 state runner up in 2004

Alleman Girls
Hoops: 4 regionals (1 state title in 2004)
X Country: 2 team finals qualifiers, 1 regional
Golf: 1 team finals qualifier
Soccer: 2 regionals
Softball: Since 1984: six state titles and numerous regional/sectional titles. Since 2005, 1 state title and 2 other regionals
Tennis: 1 sectional
Track
Volleyball

This post was edited on 3/20 11:19 AM by ramblinman

First off.... The comment I made long ago was "one of the top boys athletic programs".... I couldn't care less about girls sports, don't know a thing about ours much less entire state...

Baseball- 7 regionals, 5 sectionals
Basketball- 5 regionals
Soccer- 4 regionals, 2 sectionals
Track- 2 sectionals

So in those 4 sports... I count Herscher 16 regionals, Alleman 7... Sectionals, Herscher wins 9-4

Alleman football going to make up that difference?? With wrestling, Herscher team made it to state finals, 6 kids qualified individuals... so a much better program right now..

This post was edited on 3/20 12:42 PM by HHSTigerFan

By the way ramblin, nice touch with the wrestling stats... You say since 2005, mention a runner up finish in 2004.... And then fail to mention they have won a grand total of 19 meets since then..

Originally posted by crusader_of_90:
Did you not skip the HHS playoff loss to watch girls badminton or something like that this fall?

Come on now be nice they did finish first in the inaugural season of cow tipping!

By the way ramblin, nice touch with the wrestling stats... You say since 2005, mention a runner up finish in 2004.... And then fail to mention they have won a grand total of 19 meets since then..
We were listing POST SEASON TITLES.

You said since 2005..... And then toss out something from 2004.... Their wresting has been just awful during the years you mentioned...

First off.... The comment I made long ago was "one of the top boys athletic programs".... I couldn't care less about girls sports, don't know a thing about ours much less entire state...
Here is what you said in this specific thread, not one from long ago: "You have your list of 25 small schools with better overall athletic programs than HHS?? and If you would ask I-8 people who has the best athletic program in the conference, most would say HHS."

Nowhere here, and nowhere in the recent thread that Edgy yanked because you got creepy with the sexual comment, did you ever qualify your claim that you were talking about HHS having a top boys athletic program.

Originally posted by crusader_of_90:
Did you not skip the HHS playoff loss to watch girls badminton or something like that this fall?
Classic!

laugh.r191677.gif

In my initial post from waaaay back, I said boy athletics.... That comment was a continuation of that..

I think it's funny as hell that the ONE school you came up with clearly isn't as successful... every time you try to sound intelligent about small school sports you look like a fool.... :)

You claimed Mac would destroy Herscher.....Herscher 21 Mac 18

When I said almost every other small, downstate public school isn't effected by a private school in a way that we are... You said I was wrong..

So you are 0-3 right there...

In my initial post from waaaay back, I said boy athletics.... That comment was a continuation of that..

I think it's funny as hell that the ONE school you came up with clearly isn't as successful... every time you try to sound intelligent about small school sports you look like a fool.... :)
Why did you pick and choose the sports to compare, instead of comparing the same sports as ramblin provided?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT