ADVERTISEMENT

My Take: Downers Grove South 7on7

EdgyTim

Staff
May 29, 2001
Channahon Illinois
The DGS Passing 7on7 is easily one of the longest running events in the state each summer, and kudos to the DGS admin for being allowed to pull this event off. The DGS 7on7 was a bit scaled back from years past....so we didn't have any linemen challenge and no break in between games. Each team had four 30 minute games and the entire event was done before 12pm (which was terrific in my opinion on several levels). It was a busy day for me here trying to see every team spread over multiple fields across the entire outdoor facilities at DGS (which continue to improve and get better every time I visit DGS) so I tried to see as much as I could within reason. Also as always with summer team 7on7 every team was missing kids (testing day/travel baseball etc) at these events.

The Field of Teams

Downers Grove South - I really like what I've seen this summer from DGS in the offensive skills and the overall talent level is a nice mix of young talented and also a group that already has varsity experience. I really like 2023 QB Ryan Dawson who is in line for a big season, along with senior WR/DB Eli Reed (NIU) plus junior TE/DE Mack OHalloran along with junior WR Brandon Amaniampong. Again this is still 7on7 and I have no idea on the Mustangs line play...but this is easily the best talent DGS has had in a while which is a big positive this summer.

Minooka- The Indians have also looked pretty strong this summer and they also have a really good core of skills here. The quarterback battle rages on between senior QB Ethan Murphy and junior QB Gavin Dooley and regardless of who wins the job....Minooka will have two very capable signal callers. The receivers are also a strength with senior Malik Armstrong (NIU) plus senior Trevor Hudak. This is also a group that has numbers, depth and speed as well and more than a few names will emerge this fall. Both Armstrong and Hudak are game breaker types who's games really compliment each other. The defense? Still young and improving and the overall numbers and depth is high at the Nook.

OPRF- Had a decent fay here overall. The Huskies always have enough skills and talent and the offense was good. I like the fact that OPRF just runs it's day in and day out offense and doesn't get into the 7on7 Olympics here. The overall numbers and talent level was good on both sides of the football and while I didn't see any real major high profile kids here, I did see a lot of very good players here.

Lincoln Way East- About what I expected from East at this event. East brought a ton of kids, ran one team with the varsity starters and another with backups and underclassmen and everyone got a ton of work. The Griffins used a handful fo different quarterbacks here and I didn't any real drop off from one QB to the other. The receivers are really strong led by senior WR Jack Tremblay and again just lots of talented names to watch this fall. The defense was also solid, has some key names and the linebacker play looks to be a real position of strength here. I'm sure I'll get a bit more of an in depth look again at East in August so stay tuned.

Glenbard North- A solid overall showing and I liked the Panthers here. GBN will never be 7on7 superstars because that is not the Panthers game...but the offense was solid here and North can throw the football when needed. The GBN defense is also solid and this is a program that always has decent speed and talent in the secondary.

Proviso East- It was great to see the Pirates back at this event and it was even better to see longtime head coach Aaron Peppers back on the East sideline as well. Coach Pep came with a ton of energy and so did the Pirates. Proviso East has a handful of kids who looked pretty solid here and hopefully this is the beginning of better days ahead.

Hinsdale Central- I have no idea how Hinsdale Central year in and year out seems to find these enormous 6-foot-4 plus long and athletic receivers, but the Red Devils once again have big and skilled receivers. The Red Devils also have good QB play including 2023 Ben Monahan and the defense was also pretty solid all around. Without having seen the OL/DL numbers and depth yet for the fall....the Red Devils just look to have some real talent and a bit of a confident swagger this summer.

PlainfieldCentral- Has some decent names to watch and that includes the line play which I saw at West Aurora on Thursday. The program is still trying to get back to a winning level and new head coach Bob Keane is definitely working hard and coaching up hid kids this summer.

Lyons Township- Lyons no question will be improved this fall and new head coach Jon Beutjer has his team focused, locked in and is just showing and playing with much more energy this summer. QB Joey Antonietti was really strong here and has FCS level skills and talent in my opinion. If your looking for a nice sleeper pick in the WSC this fall....it could very well be the Lions. I was also impressed with the overall numbers at this event as well forLyons.

Montini- The Broncos again have a QB battle on it's hands again this summer between junior QB Tre Jones and junior QB Cole Teschner and both QB's fared pretty well here. Montini also has talent in both the receivers group and the defensive backs and I'll get a better look on Montini later this summer for sure.

Downers Grove North- Solid. Again the Trojans just do what they do....and again this season under HC Joe Horeni DGN is very capable of throwing the football and doing more than just smash mouth football that they have a long time reputation for running. I liked what I saw from the defense, DGN is always well coached and again treated this as a learning event and it's great to see this staff really work and teach it's players on the fly here.

Aurora Central Catholic_ John Belskis and Terry McCombes are back at it again, this time back at ACC which Belskis has a long time relationship with as well as being Belskis employer. ACC has very limited numbers, but all I know is that under this staff they will get better and will win games this fall.

Hinsdale South- Really nice team here and I was impressed with QB Ryan Kohlsaat who threw a really good and accurate ball at this event. The Hornets always seem to have some skills and speed and they just looked the part here on both sides of the football.

Wheaton South In many ways it sure seemed like business as usual this summer....which is a definite positive in my book. New head coach Sean Norris ran the Tigers with a close eye and WWS just looked to be in mid season form in many ways here. I was impressed in particular with the offense which again has a pretty high level of skills led by QB Matt Sommerdyke plus WR Brandon Bell along with several impressive receivers and backs. The defense is also solid and the overall numbers and talent level is once again pretty high here.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News