ADVERTISEMENT

More regarding MC QB Thompson offer from NIU

Great news. I can honestly say I didn't think he would get an offer from a place as big as NIU. He is definitely an athletic QB who can run the ball, plus he did throw the ball better as the season progressed. Has he been participating in any 7 on 7's that helped him show some improvements? NIU hoping lightning strikes twice with an MC quarterback.

Great news. I can honestly say I didn't think he would get an offer from a place as big as NIU. He is definitely an athletic QB who can run the ball, plus he did throw the ball better as the season progressed. Has he been participating in any 7 on 7's that helped him show some improvements? NIU hoping lightning strikes twice with an MC quarterback.
I think he is gonna have a huge year as well.

I think he is gonna have a huge year as well.
I can see him having a very big year compared to other MC quarterbacks. The offense should put up some big numbers this season so we should see an increase in his production. Plus having 2 good RB's behind him and a good TE will help a lot.

Plus 3 O lineman back in Cirame, Reyes, McKay. Not sure if they will put Antonietti at C and slide McKay to RG. Wirtel, Lewis, Saffold and the backfield set along with a returning starter at QB. #AirLenti

Plus 3 O lineman back in Cirame, Reyes, McKay. Not sure if they will put Antonietti at C and slide McKay to RG. Wirtel, Lewis, Saffold and the backfield set along with a returning starter at QB. #AirLenti
I like the #AirLenti, let's make that stick. If he gets 1200 passing yards that would be big considering the two 1,000 yard rushers we have coming back. Any word on what the plan for Griffith is? What about Alek Thomas, he was a stud last year on FR team.

I like the #AirLenti, let's make that stick. If he gets 1200 passing yards that would be big considering the two 1,000 yard rushers we have coming back. Any word on what the plan for Griffith is? What about Alek Thomas, he was a stud last year on FR team.
Well I thought MC had 2 outstanding backs at frosh level. I would guess he would be up on V but not sure. Really the only question mark I have on Offense is RT. Other then that everything set. D not at 12-13 level but what D is. They have good people back though.

Well I thought MC had 2 outstanding backs at frosh level. I would guess he would be up on V but not sure. Really the only question mark I have on Offense is RT. Other then that everything set. D not at 12-13 level but what D is. They have good people back though.
It looks like it could be a very good season for a lot of the kids and the team as a whole. Looking forward to seeing them play Marist opening weekend.

It looks like it could be a very good season for a lot of the kids and the team as a whole. Looking forward to seeing them play Marist opening weekend.
I saw the end of the game at Rice yesterday and that Alec Thomas starts in LF as a frosh. He is so fast. He hit a triple yesterday went from home to third in blink of an eye. Im assuming he is up on V as a back and then u add that to two 1,000 rushers in Lewis and Ries and Thompson and D Lewis/Wirtel and Saffold. Wow.

Alek is a very good baseball player, his dad is the strength and conditioning coordinator for the White Sox, so he's grown up around the game. He has quick feet and gets to top speed quickly, which will help with running the ball in the option. He is going to be a good back for MC for the next 3 seasons.

Reactions: DeanOfSelection
Alek is a very good baseball player, his dad is the strength and conditioning coordinator for the White Sox, so he's grown up around the game. He has quick feet and gets to top speed quickly, which will help with running the ball in the option. He is going to be a good back for MC for the next 3 seasons.
I mean he just absolutely flew. I don't know who is gonna catch him. especially with the line they will have next year and having to account for Thompson throwing.

Sophs will have a tough time without him or Griffith (if they are both up) but they had a solid team last season as frosh. The other RB on the freshman team was good as well. Thomas and Griffith add depth to an offense that should be pretty good. I am excited to see what Coach Frank does with this team, they should compete for a state title this season.

Sophs will have a tough time without him or Griffith (if they are both up) but they had a solid team last season as frosh. The other RB on the freshman team was good as well. Thomas and Griffith add depth to an offense that should be pretty good. I am excited to see what Coach Frank does with this team, they should compete for a state title this season.
I was thinking that as well with the sophs. Sophs struggled in 2010 also with 7-8 guys up and no qb having Butkus up. they went 5-4 but won 8A as seniors. I put zero stock in soph results unless none are up on V.

I was thinking that as well with the sophs. Sophs struggled in 2010 also with 7-8 guys up and no qb having Butkus up. they went 5-4 but won 8A as seniors. I put zero stock in soph results unless none are up on V.
I agree. While I think having a sophomore team is great and essential to get kids reps before moving up to varsity, the reality is its almost like a redshirt season before being activated on varsity. The games mean something to the kids and their families, but essentially is a practice year that serves to prepare kids for varsity success.

I agree. While I think having a sophomore team is great and essential to get kids reps before moving up to varsity, the reality is its almost like a redshirt season before being activated on varsity. The games mean something to the kids and their families, but essentially is a practice year that serves to prepare kids for varsity success.
I do put a lot of stock in MC frosh results though. They keep everyone there and have great coaches.

I do put a lot of stock in MC frosh results though. They keep everyone there and have great coaches.
Frosh football is important because it gives them their 1st taste of the system and the coaches. The foundation is laid with the drills coaches run and practices and plays they run in games as well as the defensive system that is implemented as freshman. It also helps the development of fundamentals on both sides and alerts coaches to which players will do best at what positions and which ones will do whatever is necessary for the good of the team. Also introduces them to the expectations of all players in a program (MC or any program, some good, some bad)

Frosh football is important because it gives them their 1st taste of the system and the coaches. The foundation is laid with the drills coaches run and practices and plays they run in games as well as the defensive system that is implemented as freshman. It also helps the development of fundamentals on both sides and alerts coaches to which players will do best at what positions and which ones will do whatever is necessary for the good of the team. Also introduces them to the expectations of all players in a program (MC or any program, some good, some bad)
The word I got at MC Friday was Griffith will be at safety and backup QB. so safeties Williams and Griffith and Saffold at corner in secondary for now. Defense still has some tweaking to do but the offense is set.

The word I got at MC Friday was Griffith will be at safety and backup QB. so safeties Williams and Griffith and Saffold at corner in secondary for now. Defense still has some tweaking to do but the offense is set.
Immediately makes the defensive secondary better. Need to make sure they get some pressure from the D line and linebackers, that'll help out the guys back there. If Alek Thomas is up to be a backup RB and spell the AJ's for a few series a game the offense will be set.

Immediately makes the defensive secondary better. Need to make sure they get some pressure from the D line and linebackers, that'll help out the guys back there. If Alek Thomas is up to be a backup RB and spell the AJ's for a few series a game the offense will be set.
That's the case also

Think about this on offense: 3 starting O lineman back in Reyes, McKay, Cirame, D Lewis at TE, 3rd year on V and returning starter Thompson at QB, 2 thousand rushers in AJ Lewis and Ries, Thomas up who is a jet, Saffold mixed in, and Wirtel. #AirLenti #greatestshowonturf

This is the most excited I have been about a returning offense in a long time. I am finding it hard to keep my usual level head about the team. These guys should be explosive, hopefully they don't buy into the hype and continue to work hard. Blue games are always tough and we need to make sure that this team is working hard towards a State goal. Thompson is the only person I remember being on the '13 team so he is the only one who knows exactly what needs to be done. Hopefully the seniors are ready and can set the tone.

Reactions: DeanOfSelection
As good as I think the offense will be, there will be a game where the defense will have to win it. The first 2 weeks the minor tweaking on D will hopefully be set heading into PC week 3 at Gately. Might see a similar game we saw in 05
This is the most excited I have been about a returning offense in a long time. I am finding it hard to keep my usual level head about the team. These guys should be explosive, hopefully they don't buy into the hype and continue to work hard. Blue games are always tough and we need to make sure that this team is working hard towards a State goal. Thompson is the only person I remember being on the '13 team so he is the only one who knows exactly what needs to be done. Hopefully the seniors are ready and can set the tone.
Saffold was also on 13 team.played quite a bit. As good as the offense will be, the time will come that the defense has to win them a game. It even happened in 96 when MC had their highest scoring team ever and 2 future NFL players on the offense. Title game v a white hot JC and James Randle in a 17-6 win.

As good as I think the offense will be, there will be a game where the defense will have to win it. The first 2 weeks the minor tweaking on D will hopefully be set heading into PC week 3 at Gately. Might see a similar game we saw in 05

Saffold was also on 13 team.played quite a bit. As good as the offense will be, the time will come that the defense has to win them a game. It even happened in 96 when MC had their highest scoring team ever and 2 future NFL players on the offense. Title game v a white hot JC and James Randle in a 17-6 win.
I agree that the defense will need to come up big, I'm going to say either the Provi game or the LA game. And then once again in either 2nd round or quarterfinals of State. I didn't realize Saffold was also on that '13 team, at times it looked last year like they wanted him to fill the role that Searles played in '13.

I agree that the defense will need to come up big, I'm going to say either the Provi game or the LA game. And then once again in either 2nd round or quarterfinals of State. I didn't realize Saffold was also on that '13 team, at times it looked last year like they wanted him to fill the role that Searles played in '13.
technically all year O'Shea, Guerra, McDonagh, Wirtel, Thompson, Saffold and AJ Lewis were up all year but really only Saffold played.

technically all year O'Shea, Guerra, McDonagh, Wirtel, Thompson, Saffold and AJ Lewis were up all year but really only Saffold played.
Good to know, just being up and experiencing what it took in practice and game preparation will be key for these guys. I know the coaches have been there plenty of times and always do an excellent job of getting the team ready for each game, but to have seniors that have experienced a State Title is always great, because they will work as hard as possible to experience that feeling again before they graduate. August 28th can't get here soon enough.

I am good the week before once Brown White Scrimmage gets going. Can check out the roster, if and how many sophs are up, see how it plays out on field rather then paper, festive atmosphere.

I am good the week before once Brown White Scrimmage gets going. Can check out the roster, if and how many sophs are up, see how it plays out on field rather then paper, festive atmosphere.
I haven't made it in the past, but I think I am going to try and get out there this year to see the scrimmage. I am planning on heading to campus next Saturday (5/16) to see the baseball team play SR.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT