ADVERTISEMENT

Mike Fitzgerald leaves York returns to Marist

When did Dawczak leave the program? Did he step down? Out of the loop, can someone fill in the gaps?

I'm sure he'll do a great job at Marist. Big loss for York. As a Elmhurst resident, I hope they can find someone to fill his shoes. Competing in sports other than XC has been exciting for the city the past few years.

Because I asked someone in the know why he left, and that was one of the reasons.
Not even remotely true. Fabricated. Beloved by the Dukes faithful and while we’re sorry to see him go, we wish him all the best. Class act.

Not even remotely true. Fabricated. Beloved by the Dukes faithful and while we’re sorry to see him go, we wish him all the best. Class act.
Just because you and others liked him, doesn't mean that issues did not exist. For example, after the GBW game with a parent on the field.

Think what you will but Fitz wasn’t the issue. Parents, however…..
At what point does a parent have ANY say in anything to do with a high school athletic program. They don’t have a voice, nor should they unless there is abuse, etc.

I just find it hard to believe any of these situations (York, South Elgin), etc., have any legitimate issue with the coach and are not just ADs and school districts who stupidly give parents a voice and can’t control their parents. Parents can pay for enrollment at IC if you don’t like the coach at York.

Sounds like a great win for Marist though. Interesting to see where York goes for their next HC.

As a parent from another West Suburban Silver team... what could the parents have to complain about? They've been the class of the conference the last few years and the conference is one of the best in the State.

As a parent from another West Suburban Silver team... what could the parents have to complain about? They've been the class of the conference the last few years and the conference is one of the best in the State.
Like 99% of the "non-abuse" cases, I'm sure it's something regarding "why isn't my kid playing!", or "why aren't you using my kid correctly!"

Like 99% of the "non-abuse" cases, I'm sure it's something regarding "why isn't my kid playing!", or "why aren't you using my kid correctly!"
Bingo!!! Also the parent was self admittedly very inebriated, end of story.

Those are complaints that get made on teams that don't win! York was one of the few teams in the State that could play with the likes of Loyola and they were better than pretty much all the Catholic League teams with exception of Loyola and probably Mt Carmel (Look at what they did to Naz). If the parents truly did chase him out they should be ashamed of themselves. It's not easy to find a good HS coach. It's a monster of a commitment and for a reward they get a minimal stipend above their teacher's salary and never ending criticism from parents who think they know everything because they played HS football 30 years ago.

Reactions: stl705
At what point does a parent have ANY say in anything to do with a high school athletic program. They don’t have a voice, nor should they unless there is abuse, etc.

I just find it hard to believe any of these situations (York, South Elgin), etc., have any legitimate issue with the coach and are not just ADs and school districts who stupidly give parents a voice and can’t control their parents. Parents can pay for enrollment at IC if you don’t like the coach at York.

Sounds like a great win for Marist though. Interesting to see where York goes for their next HC.
Go ask the Hinsdale Central girls basketball coach and assistants who left mid season this year.

Those are complaints that get made on teams that don't win! York was one of the few teams in the State that could play with the likes of Loyola and they were better than pretty much all the Catholic League teams with exception of Loyola and probably Mt Carmel (Look at what they did to Naz). If the parents truly did chase him out they should be ashamed of themselves. It's not easy to find a good HS coach. It's a monster of a commitment and for a reward they get a minimal stipend above their teacher's salary and never ending criticism from parents who think they know everything because they played HS football 30 years ago.
Minimal stpend i would ask around its not mimimal

Reactions: chiliconcarne2
Those are complaints that get made on teams that don't win!
You would think, but there are always "those parents". I guess as a coach, you just hope their numbers are small.

Not York football, but here's an example I saw. Team was in the process of winning a playoff game, a couple parents of players that weren't playing, openly complaining and disappointed that there would now be another game to be played. They would have rather had the team lose, than have their kids not playing....

Last edited:
Then how is what I'm saying fabricated and untrue? You've made a very confusing about face
The parents didn't force him out. There was one issue after the GBW game and the parent wasn't on the field but over the railing screaming about his kid not getting the ball. That kid is graduating. Parent was drunk, apologized two days later. End of story. Witnessed it myself.

He is probably getting paid a lot to coach football and not teach. While also having the ability to recruit. Maybe a role in the development office or one of the guys they send out to Catholic grammar schools to sell the school. Public school pension system is not as desirable when you can not retire until 67.

Reactions: chiliconcarne2
The parents didn't force him out. There was one issue after the GBW game and the parent wasn't on the field but over the railing screaming about his kid not getting the ball. That kid is graduating. Parent was drunk, apologized two days later. End of story. Witnessed it myself.
Pregamed too hard at Spring Inn?

Come on, man. There is no smoke or fire. Like any program, some parents are critical of a call here or there. Sure, parents questioned the outcome of Minooka in 2021 and GBW in 2023, but that comes with the territory. Coach Fitz had 99.9 percent of the parents behind him and his staff. Do you want evidence? FNF, Power Club and PC Breakfasts, Fundraising, Team Camp, 7 on 7, and all associated activities. If parents weren't locked in, the kids would be somewhere else.

Moreover, he didn't give up on the kid, starter, or 4th string; Fitz had their back. That doesn't mean there wasn't a consequence when someone was a knucklehead, but it was never personal. He worked to ensure that kids would grow up to be good people. Each and every year, Fitz had suiters; he wasn't chasing a job, and it was good for Mike Fitzgerald to get his dream job. Good luck, expectations have risen at YORK, and the culture has changed. Now it's on the AD to hire the right next ball coach.

Go ask the Hinsdale Central girls basketball coach and assistants who left mid season this year.
In my opinion, it’s an AD and Superintendent’s job to keep parents in line and take control of their athletic programs. I’m not familiar with Hinsdale Central but doesn’t surprise me they canned the Superintendent.

If a superintendent or AD wants to sit on their ass and not do their job, only the kids suffer because a girls basketball coach leaves in the middle of a season.

He is probably getting paid a lot to coach football and not teach. While also having the ability to recruit. Maybe a role in the development office or one of the guys they send out to Catholic grammar schools to sell the school. Public school pension system is not as desirable when you can not retire until 67.
I would be surprised if he makes as much at Marist compared to York. And a public school teacher's pension is typically quite a bit more than social security. And you can still get a partial pension if you don't teach for 30+ years. Returning to Marist wasn't about the money.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT