ADVERTISEMENT

Marist vs. Loyola

Why are CCL'ers so butt-sore from the break-up of the CMC and Marist not being in the current CCL Blue?

Legacy ESCC teams owned those CMC conferences.

Why are CCL'ers so butt-sore from the break-up of the CMC and Marist not being in the current CCL Blue?

Legacy ESCC teams owned those CMC conferences.
I have no idea, I think Marist should be in blue too but if they don’t seem it best fit then so be it. They haven’t always been a power. For a long time they would have struggled tremendously to beat A blue team. With the current landscape of 6-3 to automatically qualify I can’t fault Marist for wanting to get in. The hypothetical CMC reboot sounds great but will never happen, too many chiefs and not enough Indians. Funny thing is that’s exactly what should happen, schools should look out for their own well being only.

Reactions: flcowboy09
Doesn’t Marist have a real good DLine? Can’t remember if it was Marist or another school that someone was saying how good they were up front earlier in the year.

After playing Loyola, a good d-line won’t matter. Quarterback doesn’t hold the ball long enough to get caught up. The line might stop the run, but won’t make a difference in the passing game.

Excited to see the end result of this one.

I get that. As I said in a later post, it's my opinion that Marist would be favored against those Blue teams, with the exception of Loyola. IMO, Marist has better talent than PC, Rita and MC. Your point also plays into my original post. The grind of a tough conference schedule prepares teams for the playoffs. Marist did not have such a grind, thus I question their preparedness for the 8A playoffs moving forward (not their first two games).

However, I will say Marist had only one psuedo bye week (Marian Catholic). The dirty little secret that no one in the Blue likes to mention are the weeks where the Blue teams play the likes of the CCL Red or some of the White. Those weeks allow the Blue teams to rest players with minor injuries and still handily win the games. Look at the DVC. There are no "bye" weeks there. Now that is a true meat grinder of a schedule, and it's also the primary reason why the conference is breaking up.

As coach Frank (yes, the one with all those rings) says, "It's not having the best players, it's having the right players."

Last edited:
Reactions: sivada2001
The BR game is the only thing that ties Marist to the Southside. Marist has no ties to rivals anywhere near the area. The girls teams have more of a following in the short time they have been coed. If Marist dropped football next year the only ones who would notice would be their students. No one else on the southside would even notice. Its not a shot at Marist. The ESCC has never made much of inroad in the city's Southwest side. If they played Mount Carmel and Rita and won both people would take notice. No disrespect to Marist LA is just a better team.

I get that. As I said in a later post, it's my opinion that Marist would be favored against those Blue teams, with the exception of Loyola. IMO, Marist has better talent than PC, Rita and MC. Your point also plays into my original post. The grind of a tough conference schedule prepares teams for the playoffs. Marist did not have such a grind, thus I question their preparedness for the 8A playoffs moving forward (not their first two games).

However, I will say Marist had only one psuedo bye week (Marian Catholic). The dirty little secret that no one in the Blue likes to mention are the weeks where the Blue teams play the likes of the CCL Red or some of the White. Those weeks allow the Blue teams to rest players with minor injuries and still handily win the games. Look at the DVC. There are no "bye" weeks there. Now that is a true meat grinder of a schedule, and it's also the primary reason why the conference is breaking up.

Definitely 2 different teams from 2 years ago in 8A final. LA not as much firepower and Marist D much better. LA running back has been 100% last few weeks. Hard to pick against LA here with the head coaching experience in big games. I see a low scoring game. Something like 17-10

Reactions: RockSoup
The BR game is the only thing that ties Marist to the Southside. Marist has no ties to rivals anywhere near the area. The girls teams have more of a following in the short time they have been coed. If Marist dropped football next year the only ones who would notice would be their students. No one else on the southside would even notice. Its not a shot at Marist. The ESCC has never made much of inroad in the city's Southwest side. If they played Mount Carmel and Rita and won both people would take notice. No disrespect to Marist LA is just a better team.
Saying no one would notice if Marist dropped football except there students is an absolutely ridiculous comment. I am pretty sure most grammar school football players would know about it as well as there parents. This board would have a thread talking about it, and trust me the other Southside schools would know because they may get an extra quality player out of 8th grade with this.

Reactions: NNFAN and USD24
I was at the BR-Marist game week 1. i don't put a ton of stock into that 1. First game, new HC, new QB, throw the records out type game. Marist is pretty legitimate i just have to go with Holecek here.

I am on record saying I would like to see Marist in the Blue but I don't think that is going to happen anytime in the near future. What I don't get is saying how the ESCC doesn't challenge them enough for the 8A playoffs. Even in a down year for the conference they still have 4 teams in the quarters. While they are playing smaller schools, they are playing schools that are very competitive year in and year out. JCA has been down the last couple of years, but when they are good they are as good as any team in the state regardless of class. Same can be said about those Naz teams from a couple years back.

As for their preparedness for the 8A playoffs I would say the numbers speak for themselves. Since Dunne took over Marist has 15 8A playoff wins beating teams like LWC, Naperville North, Naperville Central, Fremd, Glenbard North, Bolingbrook, Oswego x2, Barrington and Waubonsie Valley.

I love how people act like changing conferences is like changing a pair of socks. As a large private school in Chicagoland with a variety of both men and women's sports, the ESCC is a perfectly reasonable fit for Marist. As I've said before the Redhawks in the blue would be awesome, but I understand why, holistically, the current conference makes sense. They still play BR every year, have managed to get SR and MC on the schedule occasionally, and have competed with everyone. The only CCL team they've played in the last 5 years that beat them easily was Loyola, who has had their way with virtually EVERYONE the last 5 years. I have no idea what happened with the metro but regardless that was 15 years ago! That has no business on this board and has nothing to do with the current state of the program- which is clearly continuing to grow and evolve. It's been an incredibly cool process to watch for some, and obviously a sobering realization for others, who continue to try and tear them down and de-legitimize them. Who knows what happens this weekend, but either way you can't take anything away from a program that has accomplished a hell of a lot as of late, while other historically healthy programs are struggling.

To be clear, I did not start this thread as a forum to question why Marist is in the ESCC. However, I do question their preparedness for the top 8A teams, because of the conference. In Marist's defense, their football program has gotten better in recent years, while other programs in the ESCC (most notably JCA) have gotten worse. Those making the point that conference affiliation goes way beyond football are correct, and the ESCC seems to serve Marist pretty well across the full spectrum of girls and boys sports. However, with the recent decline of JCA, Marian etc., I'm not sure it serves Marist all that well in football.

I'll be interested to see if the current coach can continue the same level of success that Dunne achieved in football. He seems to be a good coach. The key will be his ability to attract the level of talent that Dunne brought into the school. My sense (not being a Southside guy) is that there are many factors that attract football-playing student/athletes to Marist. While the coach is a factor, all the other positive attributes of Marist (academics, facilities, co-ed environment etc.) remain and will continue to entice football-playing student/athletes to the school.

Bring on the Ramblers. As ESCC alum noted above, LA has dominated the other CCL Blue teams for years. Maybe the Redhawks can one up the other revered CCLers and actually defeat the superior coaching and nutrition that is Loyola Academy. :cool:

As coach Frank (yes, the one with all those rings) says, "It's not having the best players, it's having the right players."
Coach Frank's theory will be tested this weekend against the Flyers. We shall see.

Marist has been a better program then sr and br in the last 5 years. Another question is how has playing in the blue prepared br for the playoffs seeing that they have had early exits.

To be clear, I did not start this thread as a forum to question why Marist is in the ESCC. However, I do question their preparedness for the top 8A teams, because of the conference. In Marist's defense, their football program has gotten better in recent years, while other programs in the ESCC (most notably JCA) have gotten worse. Those making the point that conference affiliation goes way beyond football are correct, and the ESCC seems to serve Marist pretty well across the full spectrum of girls and boys sports. However, with the recent decline of JCA, Marian etc., I'm not sure it serves Marist all that well in football.

I'll be interested to see if the current coach can continue the same level of success that Dunne achieved in football. He seems to be a good coach. The key will be his ability to attract the level of talent that Dunne brought into the school. My sense (not being a Southside guy) is that there are many factors that attract football-playing student/athletes to Marist. While the coach is a factor, all the other positive attributes of Marist (academics, facilities, co-ed environment etc.) remain and will continue to entice football-playing student/athletes to the school.

Bring on the Ramblers. As ESCC alum noted above, LA has dominated the other CCL Blue teams for years. Maybe the Redhawks can one up the other revered CCLers and actually defeat the superior coaching and nutrition that is Loyola Academy. :cool:
I'm never going to live down the "nutrition" comment, am I?

Marist played and beat 3 quarterfinal schools (1 5A, 1 6A, 1 7A), Loyola played and beat 3 quarterfinal schools (1 6A, 2 7A). Loyola lost to the 5A quarterfinal team they played. Based on this, seems like they played a pretty comparible schedule.
Are 3 other ESCC teams they played still alive? And do you think Marist is undefeated if they played in CCL Blue?
I do not think Loyola is as good as they were a year ago, but I am confident that they played a better schedule THIS YEAR.

Are 3 other ESCC teams they played still alive? And do you think Marist is undefeated if they played in CCL Blue?
I do not think Loyola is as good as they were a year ago, but I am confident that they played a better schedule THIS YEAR.
I don’t think anyone said they’d be undefeated in the Blue or that they played a tougher schedule than Loyola, but yes, 3 teams Marist played are still alive in the playoffs.

Reactions: flcowboy09

They struggled to beat a down BR Rice team....Blue would have been a blood bath to them.

Reactions: go_rice
They struggled to beat a down BR Rice team....Blue would have been a blood bath to them.
I know I am being a homer throughout this thread but I saw Marist play almost every game this year and if they played rice any week after week 1 they would have beaten them by 4 TDs like they did to everyone else they play. I am not saying Marist would have won the Blue but they would not have been on the worse side of a "blood bath" the game versus Blue champ Loyola this weekend wont even be a blood bath.

Loyola is the Blue, period, and has been for many years. No other Blue conference member even comes remotely close. So yes, once again....Marist has a big challenge ahead this weekend with the Ramblers. Everyone agrees. But Marist has had another great season, kids are pumped, coaches are working hard, anything can happen.

Loyola is unique and I'm so damn jealous. A very, very well coached team located in area with no real competition for talent....no dilution so to speak. If Marist and St. Rita alone could combine programs you'd have a perennial 8A power on your hands.

Loyola is the Blue, period, and has been for many years. No other Blue conference member even comes remotely close. So yes, once again....Marist has a big challenge ahead this weekend with the Ramblers. Everyone agrees. But Marist has had another great season, kids are pumped, coaches are working hard, anything can happen.

Loyola is unique and I'm so damn jealous. A very, very well coached team located in area with no real competition for talent....no dilution so to speak. If Marist and St. Rita alone could combine programs you'd have a perennial 8A power on your hands.

Everything you posted is true. But if Marist does not have a good showing this weekend most people will believe Marist finishes 5th in the CCL. Marist is pretty good w/o combining with St. Rita. Either school would only need a couple or three players from the other squad. Heck other than Brother Rice people I hear of no other Southsiders rooting against Marist. But there is a certain CCL pride that wants Loyola to win but that would happen w/o playing Marist. I am not a CCL'er but they have that comradery. Most people who just fans want to see a LWE Loyola final. The Loyola loss to Phillips was self imposed (weinergate) as I have been told by two other CCL coaches. People like when a team puts discipline ahead of winning.

Nothing against Marist.

Yes, LA is unique. The commitment is off the charts. Off season for the kids it's weight room and athletic development like everyone else but the difference with Loyola kids is that they just don't miss days. In season it's position meetings before practice, then practice (filmed), then position meetings after practice. The coaches cut up and review all of the game and practice film so the kids have stuff to process everyday. The coaches are putting in college type of hours. Whats not covered in meetings is waiting for players when they get home. The kids go home and eat, do homework and then typically log back onto hudl before bed so the next day they are one step closer to being mentally prepared for game day. The teaching and learning is constant. It only works because the parents are bought into all of it and support the process.

The landscape in terms of attracting talent is not necessarily better. It's different. Starting with the price tag- $16K/year. More than a few families interested in LA balk at that number. Then factor in the academic reputations/success at the surrounding public school districts where most of Loyola's catholic feeders are located- New Trier, Evanston, Glenbrook South, Glenbrook North, Maine South, Lake Forest. Helluva sacrifice to make if it's just about football so the family that isn't too concerned with a Jesuit education is usually happy to just stay in their district and attend a great school with impressive athletic programs.

Reactions: Hawks65 and moebias
Yes, LA is unique. The commitment is off the charts. Off season for the kids it's weight room and athletic development like everyone else but the difference with Loyola kids is that they just don't miss days. In season it's position meetings before practice, then practice (filmed), then position meetings after practice. The coaches cut up and review all of the game and practice film so the kids have stuff to process everyday. The coaches are putting in college type of hours. Whats not covered in meetings is waiting for players when they get home. The kids go home and eat, do homework and then typically log back onto hudl before bed so the next day they are one step closer to being mentally prepared for game day. The teaching and learning is constant. It only works because the parents are bought into all of it and support the process.

The landscape in terms of attracting talent is not necessarily better. It's different. Starting with the price tag- $16K/year. More than a few families interested in LA balk at that number. Then factor in the academic reputations/success at the surrounding public school districts where most of Loyola's catholic feeders are located- New Trier, Evanston, Glenbrook South, Glenbrook North, Maine South, Lake Forest. Helluva sacrifice to make if it's just about football so the family that isn't too concerned with a Jesuit education is usually happy to just stay in their district and attend a great school with impressive athletic programs.

Does the Ihsa have time limit rules like the NCAA. With all your describing the Ramblers probably don’t get home until 730.

Everything you posted is true. But if Marist does not have a good showing this weekend most people will believe Marist finishes 5th in the CCL. Marist is pretty good w/o combining with St. Rita. Either school would only need a couple or three players from the other squad. Heck other than Brother Rice people I hear of no other Southsiders rooting against Marist. But there is a certain CCL pride that wants Loyola to win but that would happen w/o playing Marist. I am not a CCL'er but they have that comradery. Most people who just fans want to see a LWE Loyola final. The Loyola loss to Phillips was self imposed (weinergate) as I have been told by two other CCL coaches. People like when a team puts discipline ahead of winning.

Nothing against Marist.
Do you have a team?

Do you think if other programs have the same level of "commitment" they would have the same level of success as Loyola?

Do you have a team?

Nope. Pick on bullies and root for underdogs.
latest

It's the nutrition..... and being rich....I guess they found the weight room which south-siders didn't. They found away to make their kids work harder than MC, SR, PC JCA. I guess all those state titles are just luck. Starting to sound like Maine South fans.

I guess the south-side kids who get into Ivy League schools must just be a anomaly.

Maybe I'll start rooting for Marist if the Loyola posters keep telling every one how superior they are to everyone else.

Last edited:
Reactions: USD24
Do you think if other programs have the same level of "commitment" they would have the same level of success as Loyola?
I believe all of the programs that are great year in, year out have that same high level of commitment. I wasn't intending to mean they are the only ones. I was moreso trying to highlight that the good coaching mentioned is a product of the time they put in and coupled with the player and parent buy in. Just pride in the work I know those guys put in. A lot of close friends. I'm sure the same goes for ______ fill in the blank (great program).

It's the nutrition..... and being rich....I guess they found the weight room which south-siders didn't. They found away to make their kids work harder than MC, SR, PC JCA. I guess all those state titles are just luck. Starting to sound like Maine South fans.

I guess the south-side kids who get into Ivy League schools must just be a anomaly.

Maybe I'll start rooting for Marist if the Loyola posters keep telling every one how superior they are to everyone else.
Take it how you want. Create your own narrative.

I work with players all over the area on a weekly basis. Shine from Rita, Taylor and Johnson from Phillips, Stewart from Bolingbrook, Blakely and Lee from Naz, Dixon and Bullie from LA along with about 20 other student athletes from other area programs. They're all in the same room every Sunday morning throughout the school year working with tutors on course work, test prep, writing their essays for their college apps, etc. The names mentioned are all from great programs that just expect things to be done at a higher level than some of the other programs around.

My comments may have sounded arrogant but I really was just taking the opportunity to give kudos to a program- coaches, players and parents that I appreciate. Especially after stepping away and seeing how different things can be. My point was that Loyola's success is not what it is by fortune, I don't think any school that is successful year in and year out is just fortunate. The sacrifice and commitment is tremendous.

Take it how you want. Create your own narrative.

My comments may have sounded arrogant but I really was just taking the opportunity to give kudos to a program- coaches, players and parents that I appreciate. Especially after stepping away and seeing how different things can be. My point was that Loyola's success is not what it is by fortune, I don't think any school that is successful year in and year out is just fortunate. The sacrifice and commitment is tremendous.

LA has a clear advantage with no other Catholic schools in the area to compete with. With demise of C of M Loyola can get just about every kid they want from DeLaSalle to the Wisconsin boarder.

St. Rita and Marist are 6.4 miles apart with Brother Rice in the middle. Mount Carmel recruits very heavily in the area for students too. That's an area of about the size of St. Charles North.

If Loyola had to line up all their players by ability and had them count 1 to 4 over again how good would LA be with only every fourth kid?

Last edited:
Reactions: moebias
LA has a clear advantage with no other Catholic schools in the area to compete with. With demise of C of M Loyola can get just about every kid they want from DeLaSalle to the Wisconsin boarder.

St. Rita and Marist are 6.4 miles apart with Brother Rice in the middle. Mount Carmel recruits very heavily in the area for students too. That a area of about the size of St. Charles North.

If Loyola had to line up all their players by ability and had them count 1 to 4 over again how good would LA be with only every fourth kid?

Tom great way to phrase the 1 in 4 point. The SW Grade School Conference has to be one of the best the area to feed so many schools. The LA guy may think he's special, but he has no one near him to compare to. Maybe the less he posts this week the better it is for Loyola.

Take it how you want.

My comments may have sounded arrogant

The sacrifice and commitment is tremendous.

Look at all the above posts giving compliments to Loyola. No on is picking Marist to win nor is any one rooting for them. But YOU are coming off as arrogant. Your postings are eroding Loyola's good will here. Your sounding like Maine South a few years ago.....

Look at all the above posts giving compliments to Loyola. No on is picking Marist to win nor is any one rooting for them. But YOU are coming off as arrogant. Your postings are eroding Loyola's good will here. Your sounding like Maine South a few years ago.....
Is it arrogant if you are winning titles year after year ?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT