ADVERTISEMENT

Marist vs. Loyola

Asking parents to pay thousands for something that most get for free or very close to free is not easy. that's why there are the "haves" and "have-nots" of private schools. Especially in football.

It’s not “free”. I nearly fall off my chair every time I open my property tax bill in the late spring. It’s also not free to folks that rent - you don’t think those property tax costs aren’t built into each units rent? Regardless if you have kids utilizing the schools or not?

Now add on top of that - comes the private school tuition for those folks that decide to go that route. I am lucky as I live in an area where the school district is good. But we gave our kids the option of private or public and all 3 chose the public option (well one was looking at Benet a few years back but chose to stay public)

That said - I agree the kids the public’s lose to the privates tend to be high energy and high participation kids - which means lots of outside of class participation like sports/football, music, band, etc and high academics. There are lots of public school kids that don’t participate in anything. For some - the religious aspect of privates is also super important and one of the drivers of attendance.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gene K.
please, please please.....show me any kind of data that says Marist had 1200 boys in 2001. That is FAKE NEWS! BR was largest all boys school in the state at the time and was under 1200 then. I tried verifying the enrollment on IHSA but Marist's data is unavailable because they did not make the playoffs any year between 1996-2005, so tell me how great things were going on 115th.

As far as football back then, you're right, not good. As far as enrollment, as good as anybody else back then, and if Marist wasn't the largest all boys school at the time it went coed...it surely wasn't far behind (although I think they were in fact the largest). But none of that matters at all right now, it's about looking and moving forward...Marist announced (at the very crowded recent open house) a $15 million new Science wing set for construction starting in 2018.

Reactions: flcowboy09
please, please please.....show me any kind of data that says Marist had 1200 boys in 2001. That is FAKE NEWS! BR was largest all boys school in the state at the time and was under 1200 then. I tried verifying the enrollment on IHSA but Marist's data is unavailable because they did not make the playoffs any year between 1996-2005, so tell me how great things were going on 115th.

Read it and weep: http://articles.chicagotribune.com/...80351_1_marist-catholic-schools-girls-schools

It’s not “free”. I nearly fall off my chair every time I open my property tax bill in the late spring. It’s also not free to folks that rent - you don’t think those property tax costs aren’t built into each units rent? Regardless if you have kids utilizing the schools or not?

Now add on top of that - comes the private school tuition for those folks that decide to go that route. I am lucky as I live in an area where the school district is good. But we gave our kids the option of private or public and all 3 chose the public option (well one was looking at Benet a few years back but chose to stay public)

That said - I agree the kids the public’s lose to the privates tend to be high energy and high participation kids - which means lots of outside of class participation like sports/football, music, band, etc and high academics. There are lots of public school kids that don’t participate in anything. For some - the religious aspect of privates is also super important and one of the drivers of attendance.

You’re right Voodoo it’s not “free”. Since property taxes are the main source of funding for public schools, taxpayers should be lobbying every day for more private schools. The more students that attend private schools, and thus not using the public tax dollars that their parents paid, the better for the taxpayer. The perfect example is Loyola. The average cost to educate a student in public high school In Illinois is $12k per year. With 2000 students, LA students are literally not using $24 million that can now be used by the public schools in any way they see fit. When a private school closes or loses enrollment, everyone is at a loss.

Reactions: Gene K.
I'll get the thread back on topic. Two posts in eight years so I'll be gentle. Does Marist cover the spread Saturday. How would you bet?

I used to post a lot on here as ramblin said...for my own sanity I had to take a sabbatical lol, many times my ol "friend" go rice and his ever apparent "love" for all things Marist almost made me post again but I figured big game this week why not.
In recent years the one thing Marist lacked was a good defense to go along with a high scoring offense, once they played a team that could slow that offense down ( ms and loyola in title games they had no chance). I think they have that balance this year. Will it be enough to cover the spread ..I think so. I see a close game 3 points or less maybe 27-24. I would really like to think Marist wins, but loyola is "loyola" and I have liked and respected Coach Holocek since he was an Illini, hard to pick a first year coach over him. So I think loyola wins a close game...hope I'm wrong and Marist pulls it out! This year is as good as chance as they have had in a while to stand up to and beat a team like loyola. One last thing even though I haven't posted in a while, I read almost all the threads to keep up with Illinois football here in Florida...and can I say if Marist does win....even though I saw where that "Marist loving and respecting" go rice said he would change his name to go RedHawks ...please don't it would just be wrong, we know how much you "respect" Marist no reason to punish us or yourself my "friend" lol

Last edited:
I used to post a lot on here as ramblin said...for my own sanity I had to take a sabbatical lol, many times my ol "friend" go rice and his ever apparent "love" for all things Marist almost made me post again but I figured big game this week why not.
In recent years the one thing Marist lacked was a good defense to go along with a high scoring offense, once they played a team that could slow that offense down ( ms and loyola in title games they had no chance). I think they have that balance this year. Will it be enough to cover the spread ..I think so. I see a close game 3 points or less maybe 27-24. I would really like to think Marist wins, but loyola is "loyola" and I have liked and respected Coach Holocek since he was an Illini, hard to pick a first year coach over him. So I think loyola wins a close game...hope I'm wrong and Marist pulls it out! This year is as good as chance as they have had in a while to stand up to and beat a team like loyola. One last thing even though I haven't posted in a while, I read almost all the threads to keep up with Illinois football here in Florida...and can I say if Marist does win....even though I saw where that "Marist loving and respecting" go rice said he would change his name to go RedHawks ...please don't it would just be wrong, we know how much you "respect" Marist no reason to punish us or yourself my "friend" lol
I’m a Crusader cheering for Marist so “go rice” changes his handle.

Last edited:

I'm picking LA to win. But predicting a team will win does not mean your rooting against the other team. Other than Rice guys no one has a serious problems with Marist. I think that goes both ways with Marist guys too. I like when teams/coaches do it the right way. People like myself will root against Phillips because the methods the coaches use to stock the team. But that does not spill over on to the players or should it.

Have a good game and welcome back.

Reactions: USD24
Pre-party at Reilly's

Reactions: flcowboy09
What bar near Marist are my fellow Ramblers headed prior to the game?

Bar? You mean Juice Bar, don't you?
I'm going to give Reilly's Daughter a call, make sure they have enough kale and wheatgrass.

Reilly's Daughter/Quigley's/Reilly's Daughter might be crowded with RedHawks fans pre-gaming it. Also, don't go to Beggar's Pizza as that is owned by a Marist grad. Bad juju in both places for Rambler fans.

Suggest you try Gilhooley's, which is about a driver and a six iron south of BR. There, you just may well find go-rice drowning his sorrows over his team's 2-7 season while his archenemy prepares to do battle in week 12.

Los Fuentes is Mexican restaurant with bar across street on corner of 115 and Pulaski. Also rumor has it that Reillys Daughter has got a shuttle going from the bar to Marist from 6-7. This may give ya an opportunity to have some drinks and not have to park right at Marist and get stuck in traffic.

That's the ONLY silver lining in the loss, I certainly did not want to see that name change....i see your other thread you started taking a shot at Marist was taken down.

Good luck to Loyola, they clearly were the better team. Both lines dominated and #9 has got some wheels.

Best part of the Marist game and watching the game later on CN100 was listening to the multiple pronunciations of the sophomore LA running back last name Trevor Cabanban by the Marist PA guy and the CN100 announcers .......it was hilarious must have heard it said like seven different ways....Cannan , Carban, Carhenen,Cabeben .......quite funny.....

Best part of the Marist game and watching the game later on CN100 was listening to the multiple pronunciations of the sophomore LA running back last name Trevor Cabanban by the Marist PA guy and the CN100 announcers .......it was hilarious must have heard it said like seven different ways....Cannan , Carban, Carhenen,Cabeben .......quite funny.....

They can't even say "mount" correctly. Kenny McMushmouth says "marnt" and that jack guy says "mont'.

State championship or bust for Loyola? Can E'ville even give them a game this weekend?

Too lazy to look but I think LA played Edwardsville a couple years back in week 1 or 2 and it was a game through the first half and it was at LA

What will Loyola's game plan here be? I'm guessing this is a night game, so do you go down on Friday and stay or drive down early Sat? I thought I remember Rita driving down same day when they played down there a few years back.

Too lazy to look but I think LA played Edwardsville a couple years back in week 1 or 2 and it was a game through the first half and it was at LA

They played in 2014. Loyal won 29-28 in overtime. It was a good game. I don't think that it will be close this year and Loyola will win comfortably, but I'm sure that folks will still have delusions about imaginary fixed reffing.

How many flags did LA get against Marist
I finally got to see the game on recorded Cpmcast after a busy weekend. It looked like a very physical game with LA completely shutting down the Marist offense. At one point the announcers said that LA had over 10 penalties. Usually teams lose with that high of a penalty count. I'm sure their coaches will address it.

State championship or bust for Loyola? Can E'ville even give them a game this weekend?
I don’t know anything about Evansville, but when teams make it to the semi finals, they are not slouches nor did it happen by accident. I am certain that Evansville will be very prepared, rested and most definitely make a game of it, as will LA.

I don’t know anything about Evansville, but when teams make it to the semi finals, they are not slouches nor did it happen by accident. I am certain that Evansville will be very prepared, rested and most definitely make a game of it, as will LA.

It’s Edwardsville. They are a traditional large school power program located in southern Illinois. In the same conference as East Saint Louis (another traditional power)

Evansville Indiana has a high school team also though. Think it’s about 1400 kids grades 9-12 but no Evansville Illinois 7A or 8A team.

Last edited:
It’s Edwardsville. They are a traditional large school power program located in southern Illinois. In the same conference as East Saint Louis (another traditional power)

Evansville Indiana has a high school team also though. Think it’s about 1400 kids grades 9-12 but no Evansville Illinois 7A or 8A team.
Yes , my apologies A brain freeze.

To be clear, I did not start this thread as a forum to question why Marist is in the ESCC. However, I do question their preparedness for the top 8A teams, because of the conference. In Marist's defense, their football program has gotten better in recent years, while other programs in the ESCC (most notably JCA) have gotten worse. Those making the point that conference affiliation goes way beyond football are correct, and the ESCC seems to serve Marist pretty well across the full spectrum of girls and boys sports. However, with the recent decline of JCA, Marian etc., I'm not sure it serves Marist all that well in football.

I'll be interested to see if the current coach can continue the same level of success that Dunne achieved in football. He seems to be a good coach. The key will be his ability to attract the level of talent that Dunne brought into the school. My sense (not being a Southside guy) is that there are many factors that attract football-playing student/athletes to Marist. While the coach is a factor, all the other positive attributes of Marist (academics, facilities, co-ed environment etc.) remain and will continue to entice football-playing student/athletes to the school.

Bring on the Ramblers. As ESCC alum noted above, LA has dominated the other CCL Blue teams for years. Maybe the Redhawks can one up the other revered CCLers and actually defeat the superior coaching and nutrition that is Loyola Academy. :cool:

These kids at LA work really hard. It’s a culture and yes, nutrition is a big part of it. Not saying that this is specific to LA as I am sure many schools have the same philosophy but this is what it takes to compete. It’s not about recruiting, scholarships or superior athletes. It’s about hard work and excellent coaching in my opinion.

http://www.plt4m.com/how-a-nationally-ranked-hs-trains-its-athletes/

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT